• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Thief for Xbox One edges out the PS4 version

danwarb

Tri-linear filtering a bandwidth saving measure on PS4 (seen it a few times now)? They may as well have gone to 900p for yet smoother update. Is there some 1080p requirement for PS4 games?

Pennywise

It isn't as significant as what neogaf would like to think.

As for the reason you've given above, I was led to believe the xbone was far harder to develop for than the ps4...??? What did these guys do wrong then? Another win for the xbone. That's 2 in a row now.

Just stop, you're making a fool of yourself.

prag16

Banned
If those comparison shots are correct, I would certainly rather be on the Bone than PS4 for this one. Hideous texture filtering. Hate popin, too.

Yadda yadda pc gaming tho.
This. The DF conclusion isn't unreasonable. The allegations being thrown around that this review is evidence of DF bias are laughable. Come on guys.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
dat PS4

SPK7gp9.png

Okay. Xbox One does look better.

I wonder if a PS4 patch would fix this.

Oh my...How old are you? Out of my curiosity. I don't think a single frame prove anything, but you are free to believe what you want. If the article argue about the 25 drops on ps4 over the 20 fps on xbone, I suppose the journalist has tested this thing straightly. Come on, be serious for a second.

Be serious?!? The article gave the win to the xbox one version! Why all the fighting in here if the journalist has come to this logical conclusion? Oh and I'm 33 years old. Why is it so hard to admit the ps4 drops frames as bad as the xbox one though? All I've read is that the ps4 DOESN'T drop below 25 fps. The video disproves that. That's all I'm trying to say.

omonimo

Banned
Tri-linear filtering a bandwidth saving measure on PS4 (seen it a few times now)? They may as well have gone to 900p for yet smoother update. Is there some 1080p requirement for PS4 games?

AF is pratically free on those gpu, not sure what 1080p would change. It's just a bad port. From what I know personally.

It isn't as significant as what neogaf would like to think.

As for the reason you've given above, I was led to believe the xbone was far harder to develop for than the ps4...??? What did these guys do wrong then? Another win for the xbone. That's 2 in a row now.

Lol *sigh*

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think you've seen it exactly one other time.

I'm not sure why then ps4 version wouldn't be able to support AF.

Just stop, you're making a fool of yourself.

So don't agree with you and I'm a fool? Cool.

And you're free to believe what you want. But if you think the power of ps4 is that much better that the xbone you've got rocks in your head. More powerful- yes. MUCH more powerful? Not a chance.

Be serious?!? The article gave the win to the xbox one version! Why all the fighting in here if the journalist has come to this logical conclusion? Oh and I'm 33 years old. Why is it so hard to admit the ps4 drops frames as bad as the xbox one though? All I've read is that the ps4 DOESN'T drop below 25 fps. The video disproves that. That's all I'm trying to say.

Don't disagree with the journalist or disagree with the journalist. Which is it?

Gustav

Banned

I bet you could find 0 FPS during a loading screen in that game. A single frame drop during loading/saving/whatever is not what we generally consider a low frame rate. It's micro stutter if anything.

danwarb

AF is pratically free on those gpu, not sure what 1080p would change. It's just a bad port. From what I know personally.

It's not BW free. Set your resolution too high and it can make a difference.

2 = a few. Not all games are created equally. Some run like shit and don't look great either.

FranXico

Okay. Xbox One does look better.

I wonder if a PS4 patch would fix this.

That probably is texture pop-in, which will obviously last longer if the system is streaming data from the disc to the hard drive at the same time as reading it to run the game.

Not for once DF mentioned whether they allowed the game to fully install before playing it, which leads me to think that they simply didn't even think of that.

Pretty big dip that the xbox one never gets to in the video. In earlier DF articles when xbone dropped frames it was happy times here. Now PS4 drops below xbone it's now a "weird dip"???!!! I don't think I understand though- could you show me where the xbox one version drops as low as 21 fps? Cause for the superior hardware that's pretty damn shocking.
Because you asked so nicely.
The magic of cherry-picking.

But do continue with the bizarre meltdown.

Bundy

Banned

And you're free to believe what you want. But if you think the power of ps4 is that much better that the xbone you've got rocks in your head. More powerful- yes. MUCH more powerful? Not a chance.
Actually, it is "dat much better", son.
Thief is simply a bad example. This game runs horrible on both systems.
And now stop the damage control and calm down.

omonimo

Banned

Each version is guilty of genuine frame-rate drops too, especially when traversing main roads in The City. This manifests more aggressively on Microsoft's platform, where drops down to 20fps are possible, as compared to 25fps on PS4

It's what the journalist says. I don't think to find a single frame & capture it in a pic, reverse what the article said. I'm leaning to think it's just a weird glitch.

This game had to have the worst devs making it. That is an embaressing effort.

Oh you are one of those people. Lol. We know exactly how much more powerful ps4 is. And it is alot. There is no chance involved.

So in the end the only advantage the XB1 version has over the PS4 version is AF.

But why make tons of comparison stills that highlight a 2 seconds delay in the texture streaming area? A difference, that ONLY occurs in cutscenes nonetheless.

While on the other hand ignore the POM present in the PS4 version and not on XB1. Something that depending on what you're looking at is even more noticeable than AFvsTF.

Then there's the higher resolution&framerate...

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Especially not because the PS4 has 72 TMUs an Xbone has 48. AFAIK TMU and its cache size are what are important for AF.

I also don't remember AF being discussed as a performance-relevant issue in the last years. Maybe they disabled it because enabling it led to visual oddities due to some bug and they couldn't figure that out before launch. It's also weird that Strider has the same issue, and we can be certain that it is not performance-related in that case. Might be a coincidence, or it might be related to the same issue. Wonder if other games have the same issue, but nobody noticed it until now.

omonimo

Banned
It's not BW free. Set your resolution too high and it can make a difference.

2 = a few.

I'm not saying it's free at all, but in a game with UE3 I don't see how could make difference. There are engine a lot more complex without trilinear on ps4.

DF do put captions on the screenshots regarding what they are showing. They clearly state that low res banner shot is a streaming issue -

"Asset streaming is more apparent on PS4 on occasion. Entering the Crippled Burrick area causes assets to visibly pop in in as the camera pans across. Fortunately, once it's loaded the issue disappears during regular play. In this shot, we see the left pillar on the building has yet to resolve its texture on PS4."

They are not saying its anything to do with AF.

I wondering if this is a texture glitch of sorts of the PS4, or if the filtering method can be improved. I'd rather get a definitive statement on that and hold out for 1080p than take the hit to 900p.

The article that had a video there for us all to watch... That the article you're referring to? Take a look at the screenshot above if you can't be bothered watching champ... 29 fps on xbone vs 21 fps on ps4. Facts are facts. Cut scene or not the drops are there and they're bigger on ps4

Okay, so we can claim, according to you, that the X1 version of Tomb Raider drops to 18 fps's right? And, again, according to you, DF is wrong then, since the minimum framerate they say is 27 fps's?

Seriously, stop, you're making a fool of yourself.
FACTS ARE FACTS.

Autofokus

Hmm, I've never seen this.
But mine was fully installed, patched (1.01, weird changelog, something-something 'Super Feature') and I have a blazing fast 750GB Seagate installed - maybe thats the reason.

Synth

I think what you said, it's not technically valid. I'm not sure how the ps4 version microstuttering could keep on par to the lower xbone dips, I'm talking of the general smoothness. I don't see how.

Let me try. This is going to be an insanely exaggerated example btw, so I don't want anybody chiming in with "and in what world have you ever seen this happen?". :)

Imagine that over the space of 1 second, one platform achieves an average framerate of 60. However, in the first half of that second the game was running at 120fps, and completely froze for the second half, creating an average of 60fps. If this was something that was happening on any consistent basis then this games performance wouldn't be preferable to another platform that only had a 45fps average, but had each of those frames spread rather evenly throughout each second.

So basically, the X1 can have a lower minimum (or even average) framerate, without this really being perceived by the player in comparison to the higher fps on the PS4. If the stuttering cause by an uneven distribution of frame times creates a similar perception, then the average framerate becomes mostly meaningless.

Dead Man

DF do put captions on the screenshots regarding what they are showing. They clearly state that low res banner shot is a streaming issue -

"Asset streaming is more apparent on PS4 on occasion. Entering the Crippled Burrick area causes assets to visibly pop in in as the camera pans across. Fortunately, once it's loaded the issue disappears during regular play. In this shot, we see the left pillar on the building has yet to resolve its texture on PS4."

They are not saying its anything to do with AF.

As if anyone reads captions :) I still think it is a crappy way to demonstrate streaming issues.

But mine was fully installed, patched (1.01, weird changelog, something-something 'Super Feature') and I have a blazing fast 750GB Seagate installed - maybe thats the reason.

You are not the only one making this claim with a full install.

I'm almost tempted to get it myself to find out. lol

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Do you know when this scene takes place?

Demon Ice

Banned
So strange that the PS4 version doesn't have AF, I wonder if that's gonna be patched in. AF is practically free on any remotely modern GPU...

Seanspeed

Banned
I think what you said, it's not technically valid. I'm not sure how the ps4 version microstuttering could keep on par to the lower xbone dips, I'm talking of the general smoothness. I don't see how.
Still dont think you understand that framerate and stuttering are separate issues.

omonimo

Banned
Let me try. This is going to be an insanely exaggerated example btw, so I don't want anybody chiming in with "and in what world have you ever seen this happen?". :)

Imagine that over the space of 1 second, one platform achieves an average framerate of 60. However, in the first half of that second the game was running at 120fps, and completely froze for the second half, creating an average of 60fps. If this was something that was happening on any consistent basis then this games performance wouldn't be preferable to another platform that only had a 45fps average, but had each of those frames spread rather evenly throughout each second.

So basically, the X1 can have a lower minimum (or even average) framerate, without this really being perceived by the player in comparison to the higher fps on the PS4. If the stuttering cause by an uneven distribution of frame times creates a similar perception, then the average framerate becomes mostly meaningless.
Thank you for the explanation. Well, I know yet in part what you said, the only think I find weird it's how 20 fps dips could give the same 'impact' in the eyes of a drop to 25 fps. It's strange.

Please reference the difference between an AMD HD7790 and AMD HD7870. The former approximates the XB1 well. The latter approximates the PS4 well. It really is a simple matter of doing some basic math calculations and u can determine the relative power of both consoles. In absolute terms, the XB1 GPU is low end vs. current PC tech and the PS4 is low-mid. In relative terms, the PS4 is considerably more powerful. Check frame-rates in games using the 7770/7790 vs 7850/7870. The lower end card gets smoked by 50% or more in every benchmark and game. You are free to have your own opinions, but there is only one set of facts.

big_z

Why is the PS4 version using Trilinear filtering & not 16x anisotropic filtering like the X1 ?

Anisotropic takes more of a hit on the gpu. With the ps4 already running worse they probably cut it to trilinear to maintain the current frame rate and to please the 1080p or bust crowd.

IMO the smart thing to do with the shitty ports would have been to drop both versions to 720p and maybe they would have run at 30fps.

SparkTR

Anisotropic takes more of a hit on the gpu. With the ps4 already running worse they probably cut it to trilinear to maintain the current frame rate and to please the 1080p or bust crowd.

IMO the smart thing to do with the shitty ports would have been to drop both versions to 720p and maybe they would have run at 30fps.

Like a 1-2 FPS hit at most on PC, not sure how that translates to consoles but I imagine it's the same.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

But it isn't running worse. It's running better according to the article.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

But the ps4 isn't running worse. Even if it took an average hit of 5 fps due to AF implementation, which is extreme, it should be on par according to df...

It's just weird unless the engine does not support it.

Dead Man

Obviously that means nothing in here though so please continue defending your point of view and trashing Digital Foundry and their findings. As you were NeoGAF...

Just a tip. Attributing some overarching point of view to the forums doesn't tend to fly well. Accusations of hive minds and pervasive forum wide bias and the like tend to be viewed unfavourably. Debate with the individuals you are debating with if you want to stay safe.

Top Bottom