• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry VS Bethesda: PS3 Skyrim is still shit

Sorry if old

There are no words...

Make sure you watch the footage...

Eurogamer said:
As you can see on the 65 hour side, the effect is impossible to miss and given its severity, the outcry that has followed on forums is very much justified. These prolonged bouts of stuttering render the game almost completely unplayable, even during non-intensive walks down pathways, with some freezes lasting long enough to drag the frame-rate down to zero in places - the first time we've seen this in years of performance analysis here at Digital Foundry.

DAT video!

REAAALLY puts things into perspective when you see them side to side

I mean, what can be done about this?
A much CAN a Studio be held accountable for something like this?

Holy shit Bethesda..... How could you even release that shit? Ps3 owners would have taken a 6 month delay over a $60 .....whatever you call that. No words.

So glad I got it on PC.

V_Ben

Banned
How much can a studio be held accountable? Completely fucking accountable! It's their game, and this is unacceptable! I own it on PS3, and I don't actually want to keep playing it until they fix it. How does something like this slip through testing?

Fantomen

Neo Member
You'd think they would notice this while testing it, how can they miss such a big thing?
It's freaking unplayable and not acceptable at all.

Xater

Yep, I don't want to continue playing because of this shit. Problem is what can you do? I would love to get my money back but that's not going to happen.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
That's unfortunate, really. I had some issues with Fallout 3, but it wasn't this bad. They should really release some fast patches and get it into a playable state or at least fix the save file issue.

Derrick01

Banned
They should just give up on PS3, Bethesda can't handle the system. That or just give their games over to whoever ported Oblivion to PS3 and let them handle it.

That being said I hope 3rd time's the charm for people. Next time do not buy a Bethesda game for PS3 if there is one. Listen to the warnings next time.

They should just give up on PS3, Bethesda can't handle the system. That or just give their games over to whoever ported Oblivion to PS3 and let them handle it.

That being said I hope 3rd time's the charm for people. Next time do not buy a Bethesda game for PS3 if there is one. Listen to the warnings next time.

No kidding!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Did no one from Sony test this before release?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You'd think they would notice this while testing it, how can they miss such a big thing?
It's freaking unplayable and not acceptable at all.

Because they didn't. The game was rushed out in order for it to meet the November release date. Suffice to say, 3 years of development for a multiplatform game of Skyrim's scope has proven to be too little.

4J are too preoccupied with porting games to XBLA.

Before the game came out, lots of people were wondering which version to get. So many went with PS3 because the 360 texture-streaming issue was known about. Either way, Day-One buyers ended up losing. This has really proven that I'll never buy a Bethesda game immediately ever again.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
A much CAN a Studio be held accountable for something like this?

Once again: As much as Beth can be held accountable as it happens in ALL their games that use Gamebryo. But Beth hears you, and Beth doesn't care.

So stop buying their shitty PS3 ports and send them a message that if they're not going to bother supporting the damn thing with non-shit ports, they aren't getting your money. Too bad people will just buy the PC/360 version instead of making a stand against all of them.

Because they didn't. The game was rushed out in order for it to meet the November release date. Suffice to say, 3 years of development for a multiplatform game of Skyrim's scope has proven to be too little.

it isn't even a new bug if i understand right. didn't the Fallout games have the same problem (though not as pronounced)?

Gattsu25

Banned
There are some companies where I would never get the PS3 version of their software. Bethesda is on that short list. Their PS3 support has consistently been sub-par

I try to buy all of their games on PC so I can brute-force past their bad optimization.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
it isn't even a new bug if i understand right. didn't the Fallout games have the same problem (though not as pronounced)?

Which makes its presence all the more inexcusable. And, yeah, this issue has aged rather gracefully.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I feel shamed that I originally bought this for PS3.

But I've now gone PC and haven't looked back. And it is glorious.

Vorg

Banned
I think if a massive number of buyers organized to demand refunds from the retailers, bethesda would be forced to do something.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
lol PS3 Betheshda.

I still can't comprehend how this was released on PS3 in a state like that.

Syril

I'm curious if anyone has started a new game after the patch and run into the problem again. Everything I've seen about this patch has been testing it with games that are already afflicted. I'm not saying it's acceptable, but it would still be something.

Once again: As much as Beth can be held accountable as it happens in ALL their games that use Gamebryo. But Beth hears you, and Beth doesn't care.

So stop buying their shitty PS3 ports and send them a message that if they're not going to bother supporting the damn thing with non-shit ports, they aren't getting your money. Too bad people will just buy the PC/360 version instead of making a stand against all of them.
What's more crazy is the people who bought the PS3 version first, then went on to buy the PC/360 version to replace it. Thus paying Bethesda twice over because they released a broken product.

Randomizer

They could at least contact them and ask how they got around the problem. Clearly there must be some inherent flaw in the Gamebryo engine or somewhere within their code and they are too lazy or inept to fix it.

I'm at 74 hours so far and my save file is almost 10 megs and it definitely stutters like in the video. It's really bad. Everytime the framerate goes down to almost zero it feels like the game is crashing. I want to continue badly, because i love the game but playing like that is no fun.

gogogow

Have Bethesda said anything about a follow up patch post 2.01 (to fix the framerate, not the backwards flying dragons)? Damn, watching that video, yeah, it's definitely better, but still shit. How can the framerate drop to 0 when nothing is happening, let alone the countless 10-20 fps. Pretty damn incompetent if they can't FIX or don't know what causes it.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
lol PS3 Betheshda.

I still can't comprehend how this was released on PS3 in a state like that.

They could have delayed the PS3 version, sure, but it would have been pointless for them as sales would have suffered on the platform. I guess they didn't want to miss the November launch date, and you can see that reflected well, sales wise. I bet they were thinking, "We'll patch this later, at least the PC and 360 versions are good."

Anteater

I never thought it was possible to play a crappier port than bayonetta and witnessing framerate that's lower than Mass effect on the xbox 360. Bethesda blew my mind.

Kyoufu

I guess my experience differs. It takes around 5-6 hours of average gameplay for it to take a shit. Then I reboot the game and all is well until another 5-6 hour session.

Mrbob

How much can a studio be held accountable? Completely fucking accountable! It's their game, and this is unacceptable! I own it on PS3, and I don't actually want to keep playing it until they fix it. How does something like this slip through testing?

They weren't held accountable the other two games this happened in.

Shame about the PS3 version. Game is great, but if I only have access to a PS3 I'd stay away. Bethesda is getting a reputation for being a terrible Playstation developer. Good job at cutting off about 1/3 of their market.

OSHAN

I bought this game for my friend for Christmas. He only has a PS3. He doesn't really follow games online, so I know he's not aware of the problem.

Bethesda is going to ruin Christmas.

ghst

thanks for the laugh

So, PS3 gamers are a bunch of spoiled children, who knew!?

Don't get me wrong, bitch about online passes and stuff. But don't bitch about getting "360 ports" because they don't match your magical expectation levels. The market has shifted: PS3 is a minority focus, just be glad you're getting some of the titles that the 360 gets and buy them. It seems like some people on PS3 simply don't do that because "LOL XBOX PORT!" :/

People throwing their arms up and whining and going "why aren't they supporting us!?" when they attempt to (even if poorly) is crazy.

rvy

Banned
lol, and this level of amazing polish is why I will never buy a Bethesda game. And people think Obsidian is worst? They're pretty much on par.

I'm pretty sure 4J studios handled the Oblivion port. Microsoft has them bringing Rare games to XBLA and making an XBLA version of minecraft. The PS3 version of Oblivion was great :(

pretty crazy that they were able to have that engine running well so early in the PS3 lifecycle

Top Bottom