• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry VS Bethesda: PS3 Skyrim is still shit

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
How come they went straight to 2.0 with their other patch, and now their 1.4 is 2.03, strange numbering system, is it the same on 360?

Anyway, downloaded it, not sure if anything has really been fixed though as I am currently sneaking through a cave, though I wasn't having many problems with the game to begin with so hopefully it doesn't break anything else.
I would say it felt smoother, but I think that might just be a placebo effect going on in my head, it has however reset all the tutorial hints etc.

If PS4 is anything like the PS3, developers are just going to jump ship, I mean who wan't to be getting hammered everytime something like this happens. Imagine putting a ton a work on a platform only to get dissed by it's fans.

If it doesn't happen on 360 or PC, then it's the PS3's architecture. Should they find a fix? sure, but damn why does the PS3 always have to be the problem child?

But if the dev from Obsidian is to be believed this is simply down to not having enough system ram, the same reason a lot early PS3 games were sub-par compared to their 360 counterparts.

The PS3 was designed like a PC, split ram for system and graphics, chances are if MS had designed the 360 the same way then we would either be having exactly the same problems or Bethesda would have cut back to make it more stable for both.

Zoibie

Does seem to be smoother for me too, people reporting much improved framerates. My game still has a problem of low-res/pixelated textures but at least I can keep playing with some confidence.

Loudninja

The 1.4 patch for Skyrim includes many performance-enhancing updates for the PlayStation 3. A few important things to note:

1. To ensure the fastest jump in performance after applying the patch, be sure to first create a new manual save by entering the save menu and choosing “save game.” You should then restart your PlayStation 3 before continuing to play.

2. If you encounter strange behavior while playing immediately following application of the patch, do not be alarmed – this is a temporary effect of Skyrim scripts correcting themselves after the update. Once this process runs its course, be sure to make a new save and restart your PlayStation 3.
http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1345112-important-information-on-patch-14/

I just finished playing an hour before mine got too laggy and I guess that patch just happened!

Won't be able to try until tomorrow though :(

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Took far too long for this day to come. Since i only have a PS3, i bought Kingdoms of Avalur instead to fill my rpg/adventure fix.

If this issue is truly fixed now, ill pick it up in a few months probably.

cilonen

I've just done this procedure. On creating my first brand new save post-patch (i.e. choosing 'save new data' rather than just rewriting an old one; the filesize dropped to 8800kb; I just spent a couple minutes pottering around and things seemed really nice and smooth in Solitude, saved again (another 'from scratch' brand new save) before shutting it off and my second new save was down to 8660kb.

I've not interacted with any NPC's or attempted to pick up any quests and the stuck quest item journal I have in my inventory still seemed to be stuck, but the game did feel more snappy. Load times are comparable to pre-patch; especially when you first fire it up.

Everything feels a lot smoother, sadly the seasons unending quest where you get the jarl and co to meet up is still bugged for me, cause I already started jagged crown, cant progress main storyline

Excellent news - if it's well and truly fixed then I may jump back in once Bethesda release the first DLC, but for now I just got started with Amalur and can see this one lasting me quite a while.

Top Bottom