• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs Halo 2 Anniversary

Unlike the bulk of the Master Chief Collection, the campaign portion of Halo 2 Anniversary doesn't actually operate at a native 1080p which is no doubt the result of running two rendering engines simultaneously. The team has opted instead for a 1328x1080 framebuffer, which in terms of pixel count, actually contains fewer pixels than the default 900p choice. However, the end results generally look good, and appear visibly sharper as a result of scaling in just one direction. While still a fair bit blurrier than a full 1080p presentation, the end results are pretty acceptable considering the fluidity of the frame-rate. Both the classic campaign and multiplayer modes operate at full HD resolution - although it has to be said that Bungie's original visuals could sure use some anti-aliasing.

It's amazing to see the new level of detail present throughout each scene - surfaces that were once completely flat have been replaced with intricate pipework and chunks of machinery, giving a new life to the level design. Foliage is plentiful where appropriate, with the transformation of Delta Halo in particular taking flat textures and replacing them with complex layers of foliage and trees. Normal maps were used extensively in the original Halo 2 to give the impression of greater detail, and the remaster adapts this effect into real geometry, while also utilising superior textures. Overall texture quality is excellent throughout with a nice boost in fidelity that goes well beyond what was achieved in the original Halo's Anniversary release on Xbox 360. All of these changes are cosmetic so you won't find yourself getting stuck on new pieces of scene geometry here. However, by directly tying the game to its original form the door is closed on improved animation or level tweaks - which seems like a bit of a missed opportunity in some ways.

It does allow for clear upgrades in other areas though. Fully dynamic shadows have been implemented throughout the campaign, giving extra depth to each scene, bringing the game more in line with Bungie's original vision for Halo 2. The team spent more than a year creating and ultimately scrapping a renderer that used stencil shadows to allow objects to cast and receive shadows. While it proved too demanding for the original Xbox hardware, those dreams have been fully realised in Halo 2 Anniversary, albeit with a different rendering approach. Shadow resolution isn't remarkably high but the quality of the filtering leaves them appropriately soft and free of any noticeable LOD 'pop-in' issues. Scene depth is further expanded with a solid ambient occlusion implementation that provides appropriate contact shadows where applicable. Anisotropic filtering is also utilised in both renderers, retaining crisp texture detail even at a distance. Impressively, it seems that AF was also selectively employed in Halo 2 on the original Xbox, but the implementation here is far more complete.

Particle effects also see a huge boost in quality, with nicely animated and well-lit explosions coupled with smoke plumes giving a real sense of body to the carnage. In addition, particles and smoke now properly receive lighting and shadow from surrounding objects. Unfortunately, the resolution of these effects is compromised in order to maintain a high frame-rate - looking closely at any explosion effect reveals some pretty serious pixellation. It's not usually a problem, but when the screen is filled with explosions and plasma it becomes pretty clear that resolution has been sacrificed.

Additionally, a beautiful implementation of high-dynamic range lighting has made its way into the game, producing results not unlike Bungie's own work on Halo 3. Transitions between cramped interiors to expansive exterior environments use this to create some remarkably dramatic lighting that is completely absent in the original game. Dynamic lights also play a larger role with every plasma shot producing its own light source, playing nicely off the texture work. This makes for some particularly dramatic moments while battling the Covenant, particularly within the game's darker environments. On the more subtle side, there's a nice glass shader utilised to give large panes of the material an appropriate appearance, while water has also been improved, though perhaps not to the same degree as the fully dynamic pools seen in Halo 3. Walking through these pools produces simple particle effects to simulate splashes rather than deforming the water mesh.

The multiplayer component of Halo 2 Anniversary is a completely different beast from the single-player campaign. Based on an updated Halo 4 renderer, the new Anniversary maps all operate at a full 1080p with some impressive design work throughout. Unfortunately, while the bump to a full 1080p is nice, some of the other improvements haven't made there way into this portion of the game. Most noticeably anisotropic filtering is completely absent, leaving otherwise excellent texture working looking a bit blurry at oblique angles. This is particularly frustrating as the new texture work is excellent and image quality is otherwise great.

One of the key features of The Master Chief Collection is its promised frame-rate - a full 60 frames per second across all four games. Replaying each of these games at 60fps has been a treat and thankfully, Halo 2 Anniversary manages to mostly deliver on this promise across all three engines. Not surprisingly, the campaign and multiplayer modes both handle slowdown completely differently though. Single-player has the odd torn frame manifesting at the very top of the screen, along with some dropped frames, but it's clear that lowering the resolution was the right move in the campaign as the end results are quite smooth. The same is true of the classic campaign, which manages to hold 60fps for the vast majority of the time. Surprisingly there are a few instances in which slowdown rears its head even in classic mode, leading us to once again conclude that utilising two renderers simultaneously is putting quite a strain on the system.

Verdict.

As the crown jewel in The Master Chief Collection, Halo 2 Anniversary delivers an expertly remastered experience for the new generation. The updated campaign is beautifully realised and feels closer to the source material than Saber's original attempt at remastering Halo: Combat Evolved back in 2011. The inclusion of the original classic mode remains an interesting treat for those interested in seeing the original visuals again, but we can't help but wonder if the image quality for the remastered campaign hasn't suffered a bit as a result of its inclusion. The new CG sequences are also a treat for fans of the game and demonstrate just how much further the Halo aesthetic could be pushed in the future.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-halo-2-anniversary-tech-analysis

Lots more at the link.

Cday

Banned
Is it so hard to just give us the option to either play the original or the anniversary edition in the menu so it can be 1080 and stable? I would much prefer that over a gimmick feature I would use a few times until the novelty wore off. Only thing it did for me in the original Halo Anniversary was make me realize how much I prefer the look of the original over blue LED: the art style.

nOoblet16

Is it so hard to just give us the option to either play the original or the anniversary edition in the menu so it can be 1080 and stable? I would much prefer that over a gimmick feature I would use a few times until the novelty wore off. Only thing it did for me in the original Halo Anniversary was make me realize how much I prefer the look of the original over blue LED: the art style.

It's more than a gimmick, they are running the original engine with its physics and logic with a new skin on top for the new graphics and music. Without the old engine running simultaneously they would have to redo all of it from scratch for the new engine and in effect also end up changing the game, as it stands the game plays 100% like Halo 2 since it is essentially using the same engine for gameplay. The new engine is like a coat of paint on top of the old one rather than a 1:1 remake of everything.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I put this one together - if anyone has any questions not covered feel free to ask away!

dark10x

No split screen local analysis from DF though.
Don't worry, we'll be taking a look at that in the piece next week. The issue? I don't have two Xbox One gamepads at the moment. We're finding another way, though.

I would have picked one up but my Dualshock 4 failed on me somewhat this week and I had to replace that instead. :\

Eoin

Don't worry, we'll be taking a look at that in the piece next week. The issue? I don't have two Xbox One gamepads at the moment. We're finding another way, though.

I would have picked one up but my Dualshock 4 failed on me somewhat this week and I had to replace that instead. :
You'll need 4 to test split screen multi properly.

Mr E.

I would have picked one up but my Dualshock 4 failed on me somewhat this week and I had to replace that instead. :

Ah no worries, good to hear.

I think this sort of stuff is amazing. And it's a superb looking game now, and it's amazing how they've re-imagined the same geometry with stunning lighting, extra geometry and other up-to-date graphical effects.

But it is a reimagining, isn't it?

It seems like aside from the geometry it's a radically different-looking game. The palette is entirely changed in most shots, time of day/lighting and for example the extra flora looks wonderful but it's a creative interpretation.

There's not as much effort to be faithful to Halo 2 visually as I expected, it's faithful to Halo as a 2014 franchise.

Which I am sure is what most of you wanted, and I have no vested interest in the Halo franchise. I just know I'd love this kind of work done on a SotC, and if they messed with the visual identity in the same manner, I'd be disappointed at the lack of respect given to the original.

Defect

smh.
Why even have this gimmick?

It's more than a gimmick, they are running the original engine with its physics and logic with a new skin on top for the new graphics and music. Without the old engine running simultaneously they would have to redo all of it from scratch for the new engine and in effect also end up changing the game, as it stands the game plays 100% like Halo 2 since it is essentially using the same engine for gameplay. The new engine is like a coat of paint on top of the old one rather than a 1:1 remake of everything.

Hollow

After watching the framerate test video, I can say I do not care for the remade music. The style sounds off.

Is there an option to use the original soundtrack in game with the anniversary visuals?

dark10x

I think this sort of stuff is amazing. And it's a superb looking game now, and it's amazing how they've re-imagined the same geometry with stunning lighting, extra geometry and other up-to-date graphical effects.

But it is a reimagining, isn't it?

It seems like aside from the geometry it's a radically different-looking game. The palette is entirely changed in most shots, time of day/lighting and for example the extra flora looks wonderful but it's a creative interpretation.

There's not as much effort to be faithful to Halo 2 visually as I expected, it's faithful to Halo as a 2014 franchise.

Which I am sure is what most of you wanted, and I have no vested interest in the Halo franchise. I just know I'd love this kind of work done on a SotC, and if they messed with the visual identity in the same manner, I'd be disappointed at the lack of respect given to the original.
It's not perfect but I think they do a much better job here than they did with the original Anniversary. The lighting and color usage IS a lot more in line with the original game. It's not identical, of course, but I think it captures the feeling of those environments pretty well.

The original Anniversary was completely off base, however, with wildly different color schemes and an overly bright appearance. Areas that were once dark appeared completely lit there and it just never felt right.

Also, I think the original Halo CE assets hold up better than Halo 2. Halo 2 was all about normal maps but, when viewed at a high resolution, the low quality of those assets stands out. Things are very boxy and textures are just kind of ugly. Halo CE holds up much better, I think.

After watching the framerate test video, I can say I do not care for the remade music. The style sounds off.

Is there an option to use the original soundtrack in game with the anniversary visuals?
Unfortunately, no. There were some remixed tracks that I liked but, in general, I agree with you - the original music is better. The song used during the first Banshee fight, for instance, is completely butchered in the Anniversary mode. I do think the new sound effects and ambient sound is improved, though.

Seems all involved did a great job. It has been a year for some great remakes/remasters. The Last of Us, this and GTAV. Such a good time to be a gamer.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
The two engine thing isn't a gimmick. When will people get past that?

Sounds like they did an awesome job. Look forward to receiving my copy.

Saty

Both the classic campaign and multiplayer modes operate at full HD resolution - although it has to be said that Bungie's original visuals could sure use some anti-aliasing

No AA at all?

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"

Great news! And congratulations on the job.

Would you be able to ask if the Advanced Warfare face off will be updated with splitscreen performance? It's a big deal for me.

omonimo

Banned
Good Lord sub 1080p and low buffer? So I seen right when I don't believe of their announcement to achieve 1080p 60 fps for this remaster.

Hollow

Unfortunately, no. There were some remixed tracks that I liked but, in general, I agree with you - the original music is better. The song used during the first Banshee fight, for instance, is completely butchered in the Anniversary mode. I do think the new sound effects and ambient sound is improved, though.

I can only base my opinion on the few tracks I've heard from the anniversary edition but I like their rendition of Unforgotten. Granted, it just sounds like a higher fidelity version of the original but that isn't a bad thing.

The version of Peril in the framerate vid sounds so flat compared to the original.

Raide

Hopefully they do a few tweaks to get that framerate more stable. Seems find most ofthe time but those few drops look a little annoying. I am sure they can tweak something to lessen their impact.

Naminator

Banned
Good Lord sub 1080p and low buffer? So I seen right when I don't believe of their announcement to achieve 1080p 60 fps for this remaster.

Yes a whole 1 campaign out of the 4 campaigns and 4 multiplayer modes is not 1080p, give yourself a good pat on the back there you were totally right.

Yes a whole 1 campaign out of the 4 campaigns and 4 multiplayer modes is not 1080p, give yourself a good pat on the back there you were totally right.
Isn't it also the only one that got an actual complete remaster?

Either way, I'm on this day one. I'd prefer actual 1080p, but I can settle for less to play Halo 2 again in all of its remastered glory. I just hope nostalgia isn't fucking with me too hard based on my memory of H2 being the pinnacle of balanced multiplayer gunplay.

DF mentions that smoke and particle effects receive shadows. Anyone have screens or videos of this?

There is quite a big difference between being shaded by lighting and receiving shadows for particles.

Crisium

Most noticeably anisotropic filtering is completely absent, leaving otherwise excellent texture working looking a bit blurry at oblique angles. This is particularly frustrating as the new texture work is excellent and image quality is otherwise great.

Even 16x AF requires almost no resources. Inexcusable. Console developers sometimes... it blows my mind.

dark10x

The obvious: why didn't you post any comparison pictures? :p
We weren't allowed yet. :(

DF mentions that smoke and particle effects receive shadows. Anyone have screens or videos of this?

There is quite a big difference between being shaded by lighting and receiving shadows for particles.
Particles receive shadows from the environment - like during the bridge stage where the bridge posts cast long shadows that appear within the smoke clouds.

nOoblet16

We weren't allowed yet. :(
Are you under embargo for posting screenshots from the anniversary edition with comments on the tech used as well? as seen in other DF articles. It's strange that you'd have an embargo for this but not for videos.
Even 16x AF requires almost no resources. Inexcusable. Console developers sometimes... it blows my mind.

It's not free. PCs and consoles work different. Check the Advanced Warfare face off thread for more discussion on this.

dark10x

Are you under embargo for posting screenshots from the anniversary edition with comments on the tech used as well? as seen in other DF articles. It's strange that you'd have an embargo for this but not for videos.
I don't know the details but we'll have images next week for sure! Videos are cool, though.

It's not free. PCs and consoles work different. Check the Advanced Warfare face off thread for more discussion on this.
Indeed though it's disappointing that they use it with the campaign engine but no the multiplayer portion.

StuBurns

Banned
It's so strange to me that one of the four has an anamorphic frame, especially 2 being the one. I imagine 3 and 4 blow it away visually. Obviously they have the original thing going at the same time, but even still.

I'm really holding out hope for Reach being remastered. Obviously the package is insane value as it is, so it's not like I mean Reach and ODST should have been included in that, I just mean as a download or whatnot.

nOoblet16

It's so strange to me that one of the four has an anamorphic frame, especially 2 being the one. I imagine 3 and 4 blow it away visually. Obviously they have the original thing going at the same time, but even still.

I'm really holding out hope for Reach being remastered. Obviously the package is insane value as it is, so it's not like I mean Reach and ODST should have been included in that, I just mean as a download or whatnot.

No, the two engine thing is the only (or atleast the prime) reason why it's running at that resolution. Otherwise the multiplayer for the anniversary maps won't be 1080P.

dark10x

No, the two engine thing is the only (or atleast the prime) reason why it's running at that resolution. Otherwise the multiplayer for the anniversary maps won't be 1080P.
Well, let's be clear here, the multiplayer Anniversary maps were built around modified Halo 4 tech while the campaign uses something else entirely. They really have nothing in common from a technology standpoint.

StuBurns

Banned
But Halo CE Anny obviously also has two buffers, and still maintains the full frame, so it's not purely having two buffers.

In fact, Halo 3 had two buffers for HDR at the time, not sure how that works this time though.

Journey

Banned
Isn't it also the only one that got an actual complete remaster?

Either way, I'm on this day one. I'd prefer actual 1080p, but I can settle for less to play Halo 2 again in all of its remastered glory. I just hope nostalgia isn't fucking with me too hard based on my memory of H2 being the pinnacle of balanced multiplayer gunplay.

If you don't consider upping the resolution to 1080p, doubling the framerate to 60fps while increasing shadow quality, AA and texture quality, etc. a complete remaster, then I guess Halo 3 and 4 didn't get a complete remaster. Imo, a remaster is about changing the polish of the original, like TLOU or GTA V remasters, not completely changing the look by adding objects, trees and other things not originally present, or adding snow and other environment things that were never there.

It looks like this 1328x1080 could be a thing now moving forward with 2 big titles using it within a month of each other....

nOoblet16

But Halo CE Anny obviously also has two buffers, and still maintains the full frame, so it's not purely having two buffers.

In fact, Halo 3 had two buffers for HDR at the time, not sure how that works this time though.
CE anniversary is also obviously not as technically advanced since it was made for Xbox 360, while Halo 2 anniversary is made for Xbox one so has superior assets.
And Halo 3 uses dual buffer for it's HDR, this is not the same as running two separate engines together tied to each other.

Top Bottom