• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs. The Last of Us Remastered

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Am I crazy thinking that looks like this room from UC3?

45oysgs.png

LOL!!! It does look the same.

orochi91

I've said it many times before in other threads, I'll say it again: I cannot stand inconsistent frame rates in games like Tomb Raider and Titanfall. I will happily take a consistent 30 FPS frame rate over an inconsistent 60 FPS one.

The dropped frames always stand out to me like a sore thumb. I can't not notice them and they cheapen the experience for me.

It's a remnant of my PC gaming days in college from before I had money. I was always tweaking my settings for the best visual quality my crappy rig could muster without performance dips. Whenever I'd encounter crappy performance, I'd drop out of game and go tweak settings some more.

With consoles, there's no settings to go tweak, obviously, but seeing a frame hitch just takes me right out of the game and the moment. I had been transported to some other reality, but nope, frame dip, I'm back in my living room again...

different strokes for different folks as they say.
But hey, at least I'll be getting far superior shadows for locking it down to 30 FPS.

Yup, I'm similar in that regard, largely due to messing around with emulators and B:AC
on PC. I'm going the 30fps route.

I would love to sit you down in front of a TV and watch you play TLOU on PS4. I suspect you'd have a very hard time knowing when these minors drops are occurring.

Not really. People who are sensitive to these things will tend to notice.

Majanew

Banned
The frame-rate is much better than I was fearing. BF4 and Tomb Raider DE drop below 60fps, but they both feel and look great -- and it's the least I was hoping for here.

Buburibon

I would love to sit you down in front of a TV and watch you play TLOU on PS4. I suspect you'd have a very hard time knowing when these minors drops are occurring.

I suspect he'd be able to pick up on it 99% of the time it occurs. Besides, 48fps is a drop of 20% and indeed quite jarring as he described. When you spend years playing most of your games at 60fps + vsync, with every single frame being displayed at a flawless 16.67ms interval, (and inadvertently training your brain to perceive it as the norm) you will begin to notice even incredibly small inconsistencies. For instance, Mario Kart 8's frame rate drops to 59fps every several frames and some, such as myself, find it fairly distracting.

Anyway, according to the DF article, the drops in TLOU seem to be pretty rare and shouldn't impact the experience for the vast majority of players. Still, some would rather never have to deal with any hiccups, and the 30fps lock will help them achieve just that. :)

Nephtes

Sweet! Sounds like I don't have to buy a copy of the game! :D

But seriously, a 12 FPS dip during intensive combat scene where the analog sticks are going to be moving like crazy, yeah, I'd notice that. That's the worse because you can "feel" it. Like, "I know the camera should have turned further than it did...dammit..."

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
They didn't sound too impressed, then again it's understandable.
TLOU Remastered is basically this
God_of_War_Collection_Cover.jpg

But with only one game and not a collection of 2 or 3 and at near full retail price of a new release for the platform, its the price that gets me

icespide

Banned
They didn't sound too impressed, then again it's understandable.
TLOU Remastered is basically this
God_of_War_Collection_Cover.jpg

But with only one game and not a collection of 2 or 3 and at near full retail price of a new release for the platform, its the price that gets me

TLOU is only one year old though. The PS3 version retails for $40

I suspect he'd be able to pick up on it 99% of the time it occurs. Besides, 48fps is a drop of 20% and indeed quite jarring as he described. When you spend years playing most of your games at 60fps + vsync, with every single frame being displayed at a flawless 16.67ms interval, (and inadvertently training your brain to perceive it as the norm) you will begin to notice even incredibly small inconsistencies. For instance, Mario Kart 8's frame rate drops to 59fps every several frames and some, such as myself, find it fairly distracting.

Anyway, according to the DF article, the drops in TLOU seem to be pretty rare and shouldn't impact the experience for the vast majority of players. Still, some would rather never have to deal with any hiccups, and the 30fps lock will help them achieve just that. :)

That's cool and stuff but being that sensitive would mean that basically every console game would be unplayable. Or how many retail console games do have a flawless frame rate (30 or 60fps) with vsync

You can literally count on one hand how many console games stay at 60fps all the time. At a certain point almost all games have dips.
Well, we are part of the problem, as games that sacrifice a little more to never drop below the target are usually the ones that get most shat (Forza 5 is a perfect example of this)

Hopefully, as we move towards modern, compute based engines and tessellation frame rates will be more stable without sacrificing too much visual fidelity.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Digital Foundry put up their PS3 vs. PS4 double-dip perspective on the game: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-last-of-us-face-off

The fact that this release is indeed a pure remaster as opposed to something more akin to a remake tailored more towards the strengths of the PS4 hardware is likely to cause controversy. However, the ability to liberate the original game from the limitations of the PS3 hardware still produces a truly exceptional experience and having played through the game from start to finish last year, this second play-through was just as compelling as the first. Frame-rate issues were always the Achilles Heel of the PS3 version and despite some wobbles, the chance to play this enhanced release at 60Hz is irresistible. It's a transformative experience that works beautifully in the single-player game, but really comes into its own in the excellent Factions multiplayer, where the more consistent, tighter controller response makes all the difference.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Curiously, we see that ambient occlusion is dialled back massively beneath foliage; for characters nearing walls, gone is the heavy dark shroud that would appear on PS3, and instead we're given a lighter shade. It's a welcome difference.

nynt9

Can "floor guy" be a thing? This looks hilariously bad, even though the rest of the game looks amazing.

7godtCO.png

"wall guy", for reference:

2077416-wallguy_screen.jpg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
You are not wrong. Pretty obvious missing AO on PS4 shot under that dead guy on the ground to the left. Upon looking at some of the screen comparisons at DF article, I really wonder if PS4 version has their realtime character ambient shadows - a technique that totally made the TLOU for me - as far as I know being the only game to ever have something like that.

For example: Note how Bill's hand shadow is missing from the car on the PS4 version.
*Edit* I see that DF has actually addressed this, and that ambients shadows are there, but lighter than on PS3
JGCh9dd.jpg

lDFkan3.jpg

Buburibon

That's cool and stuff but being that sensitive would mean that basically every console game would be unplayable. Or how many retail console games do have a flawless frame rate (30 or 60fps) with vsync

Yes, it can be difficult at times, but I do my best to approach console exclusives with an open mind (or double standards in that regard). As far as console games featuring stellar performance, Forza 5 immediately comes to mind. It runs at a locked 60fps, and has perfect frame pacing as far as I can tell. Can't think of any other titles at the moment, unfortunately.

Sweet! Sounds like I don't have to buy a copy of the game! :D

But seriously, a 12 FPS dip during intensive combat scene where the analog sticks are going to be moving like crazy, yeah, I'd notice that. That's the worse because you can "feel" it. Like, "I know the camera should have turned further than it did...dammit..."

I was talking about the vast majority of the time, when the game is running at 60, and occasionally dips to 56 or 58.

Of course it's possible you'd notice a drop to 48fps, but that happened for 1 second during an intense encounter.

Top Bottom