• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs Watch Dogs on Wii U

mocoworm

Click link for FULL analysis

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-watch-dogs-on-wii-u

Just like the PS3 version we previously tested, the base native resolution of Watch Dogs on Wii U is a restrictive 1152x648, with identical post-processing anti-aliasing to match. In terms of image clarity, the upscale process is unforgiving compared to the PS4's 1600x900 output. The worst of it ultimately boils down to muddied detailing on Watch Dogs' Chicago horizon - though indoors this is a far less noticeable point - and the temporal 'shimmer' artefacts on high contrasts. Without a doubt, the Wii U is in last-gen territory for image quality here.

As for the Wii U's basic visual setup and assets, Watch Dogs identifiably uses the existing last-gen versions as its starting point. As you can see from our comparison video below, differences are few when compared with Sony's older platform - while PS4 remains a clear generational leap ahead. Broadly speaking, those looking for a graphical midway point between these two Sony versions will be disappointed; Nintendo's hardware sticks close to PS3 quality in almost every case.

In terms of performance, the Wii U has had two years to show us its strengths and weaknesses. Recent efforts such as Bayonetta paint its fortunes in an optimistic light, producing a frame-rate that often bests the Xbox 360. On top of that, every major port to the console so far has removed screen-tear where it was previously evident on PS3 or 360 - with the exception of Darksiders 2. Unfortunately, big open-world games such as Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag have a tendency to see performance diminish significantly.

Watch Dogs falls well and truly into this second group. V-sync is permanently engaged to remove all the tearing we see on the PS3 edition, making it much easier on the eye overall. However, there's no skirting around the fact that the Wii U version's frame-rate is worse than a last-gen version that was already pushing the threshold for acceptability.

Bayonetta is a great example of a Wii U port done right, with its higher frame-rate allowing it to supersede the Xbox 360 version as the definitive release. But it's clear that the Wii U's strengths are not as a 'me too' platform, especially in light of the arrival of Xbox One and PlayStation 4.
Put into perspective, the PS4 operates at 30fps throughout most of our tests, while the PS3 runs between 25-30fps during cut-scenes, but can drop lower during gameplay. However, Nintendo's platform struggles to even achieve this level, with matching car chases towards the city holding at between 20-25fps on Wii U- dipping to the high teens when smashing through physics-based objects.

Remarkably, a 20fps refresh is often the standard for inner-city driving, making it exceptionally sluggish to control. The Wii U also takes the record for the lowest frame-rate dip during our stress test finale, with a sustained sub-20fps frame-rate once we take a rocket launcher to a pile-up of police cars (whereas PS3's nadir is 20fps). This one test isn't indicative the general run of play, but it serves to highlight just how much the Wii U's processor is bottlenecked when faced with too many AI and physics-based simulations. Curiously, Nintendo's platform runs with no frame-rate lock, meaning it can rise above 30fps. The near-constant playback at 20fps makes this a rare sight, but you can catch it if you glance upwards at points.

Watch Dogs on Wii U: the Digital Foundry verdict

With a visual standard that matches the PS3's in almost every area, the Wii U offers by no means the best way to play Watch Dogs. We're spared the heavy tearing of Sony's last-gen console but the v-synced playback on Nintendo's console comes at a high cost. As is the trend for many of the ports to Nintendo's platform, performance is a genuine issue. To an extent, having an off-TV play option for Watch Dogs is plus, in much the same way it is for most Wii U editions of last-gen games. However, it's clear the touchscreen aspect of Nintendo's controller is under-utilised. It's been an extra six month wait for Wii U owners, but this hasn't manifested in any kind of tangible boost, leaving us feeling somewhat disappointed.

If this is the end of major, multi-platform, third-party support on Wii U, it's a disappointing conclusion to a story of mixed fortunes.
What's clear is that the hardware design of the Wii U is original and distinct: titles like Rayman Legends and Need for Speed: Most Wanted demonstrated that targeting the system's strengths produces excellent results, but Wii U's integration into the modern multi-platform era clearly proved troublesome for developers, particularly in terms of accommodating its CPU design.

While Nintendo initially tried to set up Wii U as a third-party friendly console, Watch Dogs once again highlights that its strengths are perhaps best not served in producing "me too" experiences - especially in an era increasingly dominated by consoles offering a generational leap in power. It's safe to say that Wii U is defined by the strengths of its first-party exclusives, with Nintendo consistently delivering irresistible results - where the quality of the whole package defies the generational divide with its rivals.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-watch-dogs-on-wii-u

Put into perspective, the PS4 operates at 30fps throughout most of our tests, while the PS3 runs between 25-30fps during cut-scenes, but can drop lower during gameplay. However, Nintendo's platform struggles to even achieve this level, with matching car chases towards the city holding at between 20-25fps on Wii U- dipping to the high teens when smashing through physics-based objects.

Remarkably, a 20fps refresh is often the standard for inner-city driving, making it exceptionally sluggish to control. The Wii U also takes the record for the lowest frame-rate dip during our stress test finale, with a sustained sub-20fps frame-rate once we take a rocket launcher to a pile-up of police cars (whereas PS3's nadir is 20fps). This one test isn't indicative the general run of play, but it serves to highlight just how much the Wii U's processor is bottlenecked when faced with too many AI and physics-based simulations. Curiously, Nintendo's platform runs with no frame-rate lock, meaning it can rise above 30fps. The near-constant playback at 20fps makes this a rare sight, but you can catch it if you glance upwards at points.

Watch Dogs on Wii U: the Digital Foundry verdict

With a visual standard that matches the PS3's in almost every area, the Wii U offers by no means the best way to play Watch Dogs. We're spared the heavy tearing of Sony's last-gen console but the v-synced playback on Nintendo's console comes at a high cost. As is the trend for many of the ports to Nintendo's platform, performance is a genuine issue. To an extent, having an off-TV play option for Watch Dogs is plus, in much the same way it is for most Wii U editions of last-gen games. However, it's clear the touchscreen aspect of Nintendo's controller is under-utilised. It's been an extra six month wait for Wii U owners, but this hasn't manifested in any kind of tangible boost, leaving us feeling somewhat disappointed.

The wiiu continues the trend of having inferior multiplatform games compared to 360/ps3, and as usual Wiiu owners claim it's a great port, till the DF article comes out.

The wiiu continues the trend of having inferior multiplatform games compared to 360/ps3, and as usual Wiiu owners claim it's a great port, till the DF article comes out.

Editing that in (I saw your original post) seems needlessly provocative for an OP if you're wanting any decent discussion, particularly given that the original statement was true enough.

SerTapTap

As usual "do not but Ubisoft games that are not Ubiart" remains great advice. 20-25FPS. Hell. More like "Unlocked 20FPS" from what it sounds like.

mocoworm

Sounds cinematic.

I thought the Wii-U was more powerful than the PS3/360. Why would it be delivering sub-quality framerates etc on the same game? It's been out for some time now so surely the devs know their way around the machine?

SerTapTap

I thought the Wii-U was more powerful than the PS3/360. Why would it be delivering sub-quality framerates etc on the same game? It's been out for some time now so surely the devs know their way around the machine?

It's not universally more powerful. Worse CPU, GPU isn't leagues ahead unlike PS4/Xbox One, only twice the RAM. Plus less experience using it, less focus dedicated to it. Not really surprised by the performance of multiplats in light of that. Though they really should knock down visual quality before letting it run at 20 FPS

They didn't bother releasing their flagship AC game with a decent frame rate despite it having all of their attention. Imagine how few resources must have been dedicated to this port. Considering that, Wii U owners should be satisfied that they even got the game.

Amir0x

Banned
Man people in the WatchDogs Wii U thread were saying it was alright, but I knew right away after that guy posted video of it that it was seriously borked. The framerate seemed straight slide show at times. Guess I wasn't too far off the mark with what my eyes were seeing, 'cause goddamn.

Anyway, Nintendo Wii U owners should skip this lame game anyway, regardless of the performance. So I hope this pushes even more to stay away from this turd game :p

The Wii U really treated you bad man, I am sorry. I hope it doesn't do it again.

I have nothing against the wiiu, but the fact that most ports are worse then ancient 360/ps3 hardware is laughable to me. come on Nintendo, last gen was 8 years, at least make your new hardware easily out class last gen consoles.

mocoworm

Well it makes sense now about Ubi saying they were only doing casual games for Wii-U from now on. It reflects badly on them when a game runs this bad... their QA team must be embarrassed.

Yeah, third party devs have been living and breathing Wii U code for two year now. What gives?

Woffls

Not at all surprising. Ubisoft probably just released this port to prove a point so they don't have to make WiiU games any more.

The console is capable of much more than this, but with Ubisoft's varying technical output of late, this seems about right for a WiiU Watch_Dogs port.

killatopak

Truly cinematic experience

Needs to be 24fps to be one.

Aside from that, this doesn't really bode well for Ubisoft's image to the Wii U owners.

So you are putting blame on the devs or the console itself?

Cause Smash, MK8 and X looks miles better.

Those are first party though and so will every first party game Sony and MS makes too. It still doesn't excuse how weak the hardware is compared to the the other consoles.

Kathian

Banned
Man people in the WatchDogs Wii U thread were saying it was alright, but I knew right away after that guy posted video of it that it was seriously borked. The framerate seemed straight slide show at times. Guess I wasn't too far off the mark with what my eyes were seeing, 'cause goddamn.

Anyway, Nintendo Wii U owners should skip this lame game anyway, regardless of the performance. So I hope this pushes even more to stay away from this turd game :p

Am not going to trust people who buy this game on Wii U at full price anyway :D

I have nothing against the wiiu, but the fact that most ports are worse then ancient 360/ps3 hardware is laughable to me.

In other threads as well you seem to put across that you believe that developers sit with the console and ask it to make them a game. Only the most powerful console can create the most powerful game.

Anyway it is laughable but its also rather pointless at this stage. I was never sure why people were buying third party games for 360/PS3 when their 5 year old PC could manage much the better.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Probably due to the shitty CPU. I still don't understand why sacrificed so much just to be ISA-compatible to their last two consoles.

StuBurns

Banned
I truly didn't believe this port would ever ship, so personally, I'm impressed they even did this.

It's not true that Ubi phoned it in to justify ending WiiU core development, as they said months ago this was going to be the last time they did it.

So you are putting blame on the devs or the console itself?

Cause Smash, MK8 and X looks miles better.

console. i could understand a few ports being bad, but not 90% of ports, it doesn't take much effort from Nintendo to make hardware that should easily out class 8 year old consoles.

Aside from that, this doesn't really bode well for Ubisoft's image to the Wii U owners.

Delaying Rayman Legends (an "exclusive"), WatchDogs and other decisions along the way wasn't enough for people to see that they don't give a damn about their image to WiiU owners?

DukeBobby

Oof, that frame rate video.

The Wii U version is consistently below 25fps outside of cutscenes.

14-18fps during shootouts? Terrible.

Radec

Boss: Are we ready to release the WiiU version of Watch Dogs yet ?
Dev: Nope, we need to improve it first, it barely runs like the PS3 version.
Boss: That's good enough, we don't expect this shit to sell anyway on the WiiU.
Dev: Oh.. okay.

I don't understand why there isn't some sort of a bottom FPS limit for console games. A game shouldn't be considered as finished if driving around town causes drops to 20 FPS

Top Bottom