• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Witcher 3 performance analysis XO/PS4

If you are on horseback, the hair actually bounces a shit ton more without hairworks on. True story. You may not like that it isn't clumpy though (matted).

Huh, that's odd.

What I don't like about hairworks on Geralt is how it makes his hair looks like it's just been professionally washed, conditioned, and straightened at a salon. I know it sounds silly, but I have long hair and it just doesn't move like that irl. It's very exaggerated, and to me is something that looks like it's been included purely to show off new tech, rather than to portray realistic hair. It stands out too much and looks out of place with the rest of the world to me.

And again, I'm not saying the console version is realistic or anything, but I do prefer the look of it on Geralt in motion. And I certainly wouldn't sacrifice the frames for it if I was a PC player.

But I will say that hairworks is a huge improvement over the TressFX used in TR. That was like hairworks but on steroids. Lol. The slightest movement would make Lara's hair twerk like crazy.

Skyzard

Banned
Yeah, it's still a compressed youtube video, but it's not exactly a 240p video where you can't distinguish the differences. I find their videos to have a pretty good bitrate tbh.

Not the bitrate, they didn't show good scenes to show off the differences. When I look for differences between the settings on PC I don't just show one closeup of grass in a single area.

You run around a wide scene but it's harder to point out differences to people who can't see them that way.

system11

Honestly the media seem to be giving this game a free pass for some reason.

Frame rate problems, awful motion blur and chromatic aberration combine to create a thoroughly wretched experience for the player. It's time devs started giving console owners graphic toggles as standard.

As it stands I'll add this to the list of games I /would/ have bought which includes The Evil Within and Bloodborne. In the meantime I just sunk 100 hours into Omega Quintet which runs pretty badly but at least it doesn't cause headaches and eyestrain.

Bluenoser

Frame rate problems, awful motion blur and chromatic aberration combine to create a thoroughly wretched experience for the player. It's time devs started giving console owners graphic toggles as standard.

As it stands I'll add this to the list of games I /would/ have bought which includes The Evil Within and Bloodborne. In the meantime I just sunk 100 hours into Omega Quintet which runs pretty badly but at least it doesn't cause headaches and eyestrain.

Joke post?

To be clear, you are calling the game "a wretched experience for the player" without having played it?

Aroll

This is how you can tell people don't read articles

It really depends though, doesn't it? DF doesn't really give any definitive stance one way or the other, because there are FPS advantages both ways. As an example, when PS4 is at 20 FPS, Xbox One is running at 25+, sometimes closer to 30, which causes less jutter and frame drops. So, there are many moments in the game where the Xbox One experience is smoother.

Yet, when both are pushing 30 (or for the Xbox One, 30+), the PS4 is smoother overall with less jutter. I always found that fascinating. I play the game around 50FPS on my PC (unlocked) and while I get some stuff down in the 40's or occasionally high 30's, I don't see the jutter they show in their vidoes. But, maybe it's a console thing?

Anyways, I'm not claiming the person read the article, I'm just saying that if they did, you could still conclude with a positive choice for the Xbox One, as you might rather deal with the slight jutter at 30+ FPS versus dealing with a crawling 20 FPS. It's a mater of preference really, and DF does that. In fact, the only real reason they say PS4 version is better is resolution. They practically come to a wash on the FPS.

On PS4 there is a constant camera judder/stuttering going on !
It's so bad that it's giving me a headache : (

I captured a video using share on my PS4.
Take a look at the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0bdLblqI04&feature=youtu.be&t=2m30s

Notice just how bad the camera is stuttering all the time.

Wow, those are some serious performance problems. Is it only in that area?

I play with CA off on PC, but set to ON, it is much lighter than most other game CA implementations. Miles less than the order, bb, or LoTF

CDPR has acknowledged this judder and said they intend to fix it. Hopefully they can. They also say they will improve the performance, but I'm not expecting miracles.

They did improve PC performance in 1.03 in a noticeable manner (without any noticeable visual downgrade)... so it is possible.

CDPR has acknowledged this judder and said they intend to fix it. Hopefully they can. They also say they will improve the performance, but I'm not expecting miracles.

But is the judder fix in the next patch ? If not we at least have to wait one more week after the next patch..

BouncyFrag

Joke post?

To be clear, you are calling the game "a wretched experience for the player" without having played it?
ipJiUHrbBTCMw.gif

Ended up going with the XB1 version. I REALLY hope they at least mostly eliminate the judder (I'd be happy if it ran like the PS4 honestly) as the framerate itself is actually pretty damn good.... obviously just needs the limiter implemented

cgcg

On PS4 there is a constant camera judder/stuttering going on !
It's so bad that it's giving me a headache : (

I captured a video using share on my PS4.
Take a look at the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0bdLblqI04&feature=youtu.be&t=2m30s

Notice just how bad the camera is stuttering all the time.

Looks like you found the way to create Judders and abusing the hell of it. Is that why your camera movement so purposely slow? Lots of slight stop and go camera movements as well. This creates judder as well due to weird camera physics. There's no judder if you do smooth movements or rotate the camera in a normal way. Anyway hope they'll patch the bug out.

Looks like you found the way to create Judders and abusing the hell of it. Is that why your camera movement so purposely slow? Lots of slight stop and go camera movements as well. This creates judder as well due to weird camera physics. There's no judder if you do smooth movements or rotate the camera in a normal way. Anyway hope they'll patch the bug out.

Was gonna say this, the only time the judder is really noticeable is when you're panning the camera incredibly slowly.

cgcg

So if he moves it too slow or not at all....its his fault.

Got it. What a stupid user. What was he thinking

No he is creating the judder on purpose for the video. The judders are easy to create if you wanted to but it's not representative of normal play. You can be at the same spot and rotate the camera normally there will be no judder. The judder only happens at certain thumbstick angles/camera speeds. I can rotate it even slower than his video and there will be no judder.

No he is creating the judder on purpose for the video. The judders are easy to create if you wanted to but it's not representative of normal play. You can be at the same spot and rotate the camera normally there will be no judder.

So you're telling me there is an appropiate way to move a camera in the game?

LOL. why are you defending judder/stutter? This is quite odd. This is like defending why someone smells like ass.

Gold_Loot

No he is creating the judder on purpose for the video. The judders are easy to create if you wanted to but it's not representative of normal play. You can be at the same spot and rotate the camera normally there will be no judder.

Exactly. The problem is how the camera movement goes from an 'On/Off' instead of smoothly transitioning from 'stop to slow' to 'fast'..

If that makes any sense.. It gives a false sense to the problem being engine performance when it is control stick problem..

Either way, hoping to see it fixed next update.

cgcg

So you're telling me there is an appropiate way to move a camera in the game?

LOL. why are you defending judder/stutter? This is quite odd. This is like defending why someone smells like ass.

I guess you are not comprehending this part, "No he is creating the judder on purpose for the video."

He's doing alot of slight stop and go camera movements as well. You may not notice what he was doing if you haven't played the PS4 version. Who the hell does that normally?

No he is creating the judder on purpose for the video. The judders are easy to create if you wanted to but it's not representative of normal play. You can be at the same spot and rotate the camera normally there will be no judder. The judder only happens at certain thumbstick angles/camera speeds. I can rotate it even slower than his video and there will be no judder.

That was my way to confirm there actually is a frame pacing problems creating the
judders :p

face-off and performance analysis are two different things right? /DF-related

and i agree, loading times are as shit as BB's. i wonder if an SSD does make a difference here, im using a 2TB HDD on my PS4 btw.

JoduanER2

The PS4 version's performance sucks, cant stand the constant stuttering like in that video, everyone should wait before buying it till its patched.

JoduanER2

WTF? there is always judder present, i notice this even if i do "normal" movements.

He's doing alot of slight stop and go camera movements as well. You may not notice what he was doing if you haven't played the PS4 version. Who the hell does that normally?

?

Those slight stops is actually camera stuttering. Just standing or walking around and moving the camera with normal half speed the judder is always there.

Lol, what the hell is this? There is no "normal" way to play this game, nor is there a "normal" way to move the camera. The judder shouldn't be there regardless of the speed of the camera. Quit trying to pass the blame to the player for something that is purely the developer's fault.

What next, are you going to tell players who complain that certain areas of the game make the framerate drop that it's their own fault for going into those areas?

Ason

What are you talking about?

Are you seriously trying to tell me I experience judder because I move the camera at the wrong speed, and I have myself to blaim because I don't rotate the camera correct?

Please stop with that nonsense. I like the game and the developers to, but this issue is very annoying and needs to be fixed asap.

Top Bottom