• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Witcher 3 performance analysis XO/PS4

BibiMaghoo

About as insecure as PS4 owners who come into XB1 threads to make fun of the fact that a game isn't 1080p?
Or about as insecure as XB1 owners who come inte PS4 threads to gloat when an exclusive isn't holding up to the hype?

Happens all the time. And I got banned once when I got mad at PC people talking about their PC version in a PS3/360 thread about Skyrim, so apparently this is just something you have to get used to, especially when it's multiplatform and it all becomes some kind of weird competition to be the one with the best version no matter how tiny and unimportant the difference may be. :/

While I completely agree with this view, it's worth pointing out that this thread is specifically about the two consoles, not a face off between all the platforms. People often lament the inclusion of PC in the face offs, but it is there. Here not so much. That being said, if I'd spend a couple G's on a super rig, I'd be more inclined to point out how great it was as well.

omonimo

Banned
Started playing for the first time yesterday on my One and it's really easy to tell the framerate is pretty good but frame pacing isn't. At first it felt quiet bad and actually annoying. It didn't stop me from playing 4 hours straight, though. I just couldn't stop.

I can definitely feel the stutter all the time, the next patch might make the game a whole lot more enjoyable for me. If this was 30fps all the time without frame pacing issues, it would suck me in completely.

At least the Xbox basically never drops below 30 fps, so capping it at 30 should be no problem. I'm really looking forward to this update but I have to say I'm extremely sensitive to this kind of stuff. On my PC it sometimes annoys me when frame rates drop Von 120 to 80 fps :)
I really doubt xbone has no drops in the same demanding scene seen on ps4, especially when tons of transparencies are on the screen.

psychotron

Reposting from the other thread. So those 600 wonderful fixes...we already have them, lol.

oPCs7oF.jpg

Conduit

Banned
This is not the right place but the Xbone version performed better. Is it that hard to you to say? It is evident in the video and in the text, yet you try to paint a picture of "same" which is not true. But this doesn't belong in this thread at all, I just wanted to know what you meant in the first place and my suspicion was right.

Well, somebody said that XO version is locked, i said it isn't. Why didn't you said the same like i did? Instead you said that i didn't read the article.

If XO version of DA is 99% of the time 30 fps, PS4 is 94%. And it's a really big deal. But whatever.

Reposting from the other thread. So those 600 wonderful fixes...we already have them, lol.

No performance patch?

Chobel

Well, somebody said that XO version is locked, i said it isn't. Why didn't you said the same like i did? Instead you said that i didn't read the article.

If XO version of DA is 99% of the time 30 fps, PS4 is 94%. And it's a really big deal. But whatever.

I read the article and I was even backed by the writer of the article, XB1 version is pretty much locked 30fps.
And if we talk about PS4 version, then it dropped frame quite often.

Haven't seen the font size myself, but is it really that bad that people would rather have a patch that fixes font size than performance?

GTA 5 proves that optimization is not always about cutting effects for better performance.

I'm honestly baffled by the font size thing. I'm playing PS4 on a 42", and everything is perfectly readable with the hud in "small" mode.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
POM was accidentally removed but was patched back in without any performace penalties.

Ahhh cheers man. Thought I'd seen something. did gta have actual framerate drops tho? I thought it was just a stutter when driving through the city? Not an actual fps drop. I hope to see improvements in witcher 3 all around. It deserves it. They need to just lock the xbox to 30 as well and then that version will be great too

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm honestly baffled by the font size thing. I'm playing PS4 on a 42", and everything is perfectly readable with the hud in "small" mode.

It depends on viewing distance. For games like this and Alien Isolation (actually more than that since I've grown older), I can no longer sit back ten feet, on the recliner, but rather have to pull up a chair, and sit a couple feet away to read the text.

Javin98

Banned
Ahhh cheers man. Thought I'd seen something. did gta have actual framerate drops tho? I thought it was just a stutter when driving through the city? Not an actual fps drop. I hope to see improvements in witcher 3 all around. It deserves it. They need to just lock the xbox to 30 as well and then that version will be great too
Not sure about GTA 5, but they were performance issues that got fixed regardless. Hopefully CDP will fix the frame rate issues on the PS4 version, especially in citscenes.

pswii60

Just given the game a quick spin on PS4.

When the gameplay first begins, I go out on to the balcony to look outside... and there is this ludicrous amount of motion blur that kicks in as you look around, which isn't present when you are inside. Is this what all outdoor gameplay is like? It's seemingly some interpolation trick trying to mask the fact that the framerate would otherwise be abysmal.

I hope not because I will not find that tolerable in the slightest if all outdoor areas are like this in the game. May even push me in to finally getting a gaming PC if this is any indication of how the generation is going to continue.

cakely

I got to see this on the PS4 last night. A friend was walking through some sort of village doing the "twisted firestarter" (groan) quest.

The first thing that struck me was this weird ... I don't know, fish-eye view effect? I'm not crazy about it, is there a way to turn that down or to lessen it? Is it just me?

Also, the default UI is hilariously cluttered, but there were a ton of options to turn elements of that off, so I'll probably do that.

I'm still going to get it at some point, but my initial impressions weren't all that great, at least visually.

Looks like X1 version has worse AF

vhAdM1Q.png

OU1Fkyq.png

Worse AA

vJQhweO.png

Looking much blurrier or is that just bad AF?

55AK9ic.png

Well, DF did note the Day 1 Patch made the Xbox One version have 4xAF in the tutorial section whereas it goes back to normal after that:

A few other changes affect aspects of The Witcher 3's visuals. Texture filtering is downgraded during the early tutorial sequence - dropping to something that looks akin to 4x anisotropic filtering. With no patch installed, textures across the castle pathways are simply clearer at tight camera angles. However, we went to great lengths to test this after the tutorial section, and the difference disappears entirely between patch and unpatched versions. Outside in the White Orchard area, both use an absolutely identical form of filtering across the ground, and we suspect this setting may scale up and down based on the area.

nib95

Banned
Looks like X1 version has worse AF

vhAdM1Q.png

OU1Fkyq.png

Worse AA

vJQhweO.png

Looking much blurrier or is that just bad AF?

55AK9ic.png

The resolution differences are quite apparent too. Also seems to be slightly different levels of aliasing, notably on that bannister.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

This might also baffle you, but televisions come in sizes smaller than 42". By the amount of people complaining about the text size, it seems pretty clear that it's an issue even if you personally are not affected.

omonimo

Banned
I think ill wait for a patch, cant stand the constant framedrops (PS4)
Constant frame drops it's a bit too much. But under the rain some area has really horrible fps issue. They are not normal imo. Hope they fix it first or later because seems just bad optimization to me.

thelastword

Banned
I was like "Thank god I bought this game for PC".

*Goes check the frame rate*

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
At least you're being honest, some people will want to tell you that these consoles are laptop-cpu'd garbage and any entry level PC will outperform them. Queue...any 750ti discussion....which abounds.

While I completely agree with this view, it's worth pointing out that this thread is specifically about the two consoles, not a face off between all the platforms. People often lament the inclusion of PC in the face offs, but it is there. Here not so much. That being said, if I'd spend a couple G's on a super rig, I'd be more inclined to point out how great it was as well.
If I spent a couple of G's on a Rig, I'd want that all my games run at 1440p 60fps as a baseline on ultra settings. Afterall, I've spent at minimum 5 times the cost of a console, there won't be any need to echo that I'm enjoying better resolutions and framerates because I paid for that privilege and I think by now everybody understands that.

I would simply understand, that not all persons are willing to pay for such privileges as is evident by the massive popularity of consoles. It also looks like these console guys are enjoying their games afterall since most sales are from there as well, even CD project confirmed just as much. So I'm not sure they're looking for sermons of "the pastures are greener at every turn".

Now, if we're talking two closed boxes that released at about the same time competing for the same market then that makes sense, and I'm sure most persons are interested in the XO vs PS4 analysis as opposed to a "whatever parts I buy box", it's evident even now, as people are comparing the AF and AA between the consoles.

Deadbeat

Banned
At least you're being honest, some people will want to tell you that these consoles are laptop-cpu'd garbage and any entry level PC will outperform them. Queue...any 750ti discussion....which abounds.
and then the "you gotta pay a couple grand and upgrade every few months" argument follows right after.

Skyzard

Banned
TW3 wrecks high-end pcs. You have people with Titan X turning off hairworks to get more performance at 1440p +. 780ti is basically capped to 30/38 (for no drops/stuttering at all) at 1440p/hairworks off/high foliage.

Haven't seen the font size myself, but is it really that bad that people would rather have a patch that fixes font size than performance?

I want both, but if I had to choose which is the bigger issue for me, it would be font size. I am not a human framerate counter like some people here, and the drops are not as frequent or as bad to subtract from my gaming experience. Squinting to read 80% of the text of the game, however, does.

Javin98

Banned
Don't know, I can read it just fine too. I'm only about 5.5ft back from my tv though.
I want both, but if I had to choose which is the bigger issue for me, it would be font size. I am not a human framerate counter like some people here, and the drops are not as frequent or as bad to subtract from my gaming experience. Squinting to read 80% of the text of the game, however, does.
ipJiUHrbBTCMw.gif

On a more serious note, this seems to be due to sitting distance from the TV.

thelastword

Banned
and then the "you gotta pay a couple grand and upgrade every few months" argument follows right after.
All I know, is that if I am buying a gaming PC, I'm not buying an entry level PC. Too many people are fooled by such talk and actually do have to upgrade eventually to keep up with more advanced games.

TW3 wrecks high-end pcs. You have people with Titan X turning off hairworks to get more performance at 1440p +. 780ti is basically capped to 30/38 (for no drops/stuttering at all) at 1440p/hairworks off/high foliage.
Hey, So you're saying that I would pay 2k+ for a PC and still turn off all these features which are touted as huge differentiators between PC and consoles? Notwithstanding, I can't even get 60fps locked with all my sliders to the right? That's kinda bizarre, I was led to believe otherwise.

Browsing the PC performance thread on the Witcher 3, it seems that crashes and stuttering are quite a fixture no matter what your rig. I don't think I'd come to terms with this if I had spent 2k+, the worse offender would be no 60fps on Ultra settings though, afterall, the PC Ultra to PS4 comparison video shows no huge divide in visuals.

RedAssedApe

Banned

9 years later (i.e. Dead Rising small text complaints) lol

I'm in the same boat. Font size > performance issues in my book.

I have a 50" tv and I probably sit around 6 feet away depending on how i'm sitting on my couch. Its not unreadable but font that small is annoying and straining on the eyes. Started sitting on the floor closer to the tv whenever I wanted to read some notes or books I picked up

thelastword

Banned
According to this video, it seems that the PS4 version has more pronounced effects than the Xbone version, especially early on in the video where there's a huge blast of dust on the PC/PS4 and it's almost not apparent on the xbone version. AF of course seems to be less on the XBO and the water reflections and even it's physics seem to be less pronounced on the Xbone as well. I'm really waiting to hear what Nxgamer discovers. This video was made after the day one patch of course.

Ishida

Banned
I'd question how much the devs could possibly do to improve the framerate for consoles without sacrificing image quality.... lets be realistic these consoles aren't high end machines, they're low range PCs running a brand new high-end game. To even get 30fps would be an achievement for a game of this scale....

Games are going to need to scale back as the generation goes on otherwise PS4/Xbone versions are going to look like a slide-show or texture-less.

I'm running on PC 1080p/60fps High with hairworks off, what does hairworks do differently?

Mmmh... I've seen better trolling in my younger days. I'd say 6/10.

Skyzard

Banned
All I know, is that if I am buying a gaming PC, I'm not buying an entry level PC. Too many people are fooled by such talk and actually do have to upgrade eventually to keep up with more advanced games.

Hey, So you're saying that I would pay 2k+ for a PC and still turn off all these features which are touted as huge differentiators between PC and consoles? Notwithstanding, I can't even get 60fps locked with all my sliders to the right? That's kinda bizarre, I was led to believe otherwise.

Browsing the PC performance thread on the Witcher 3, it seems that crashes and stuttering are quite a fixture no matter what your rig. I don't think I'd come to terms with this if I had spent 2k+, the worse offender would be no 60fps on Ultra settings though, afterall, the PC Ultra to PS4 comparison video shows no huge divide in visuals.

It's optimized for what consoles can do.
That video...doesn't really do PC ultra justice though.
And that framerate lock is for no drops at all, perfectly smooth on a higher resolution...which makes a big difference with character clarity and fixing the vegetation that looks mushy and hard to distinguish.

Top Bottom