• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Witcher 3 performance analysis XO/PS4

_Clash_

So, to those playing on XB1....is the performance a dealbreaker? I still can't decide if I want to pick this up.

Dude, that's what I can't believe.

I am playing X1 and it runs very well day 1 IMO. This frame pacing issue has no effect on the game in my eyes. And the frame rate seems pretty good.

Pretty happy and not lacking IMO.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So, to those playing on XB1....is the performance a dealbreaker? I still can't decide if I want to pick this up.

Finally had the chance to play tonight on the Bone. I wouldn't call it a deal breaker, as it's a great game period. But I'd be lying if I said it felt as good as other console titles, including ones that are 30fps.

Shin-Ra

Is it confirmed? Didn't see this on the analysis. Maybe it's true, people are really quiet about it, no concerns now.
AF looks about the same (and pretty good) to me but the higher res on PS4's resolving more texture detail.

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/7/5/5/8/1/1/PS4_005.bmp.jpg/EG11/format/png
http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/7/5/5/8/1/1/XO_005.bmp.jpg/EG11/format/png

This shows the most obvious difference in edge resolution, and a buggy moss texture or blending on PS4.

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/7/5/5/8/1/1/PS4_006.bmp.jpg/EG11/format/png
http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/7/5/5/8/1/1/XO_006.bmp.jpg/EG11/format/png

Good to hear that the framerate on PS4 might be fixed by the time I get the game in June.
I'm impressed at how great both versions look and how they are identical in terms of visuals except for the resolution. They really should offer an option to lock the framerate on Xbox to 30 for a smoother experience though, as the framerate is now if you could lock it to 30 it would be really smooth.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
WitcherPopcorn1.png

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Playing onX1 I haven't really noticed any frame hitching. Sometimes the framerate goes up to 40 FPS during convos though and that's immediately noticeable and jarring. Would prefer it locked.

Fredrik

another bullcrap from a pc gamer going into a thread clearly for consoles. how insecure.are these people to come in at these kinds.of thread to talk about their pcs? i mean, really.
About as insecure as PS4 owners who come into XB1 threads to make fun of the fact that a game isn't 1080p?
Or about as insecure as XB1 owners who come inte PS4 threads to gloat when an exclusive isn't holding up to the hype?

Happens all the time. And I got banned once when I got mad at PC people talking about their PC version in a PS3/360 thread about Skyrim, so apparently this is just something you have to get used to, especially when it's multiplatform and it all becomes some kind of weird competition to be the one with the best version no matter how tiny and unimportant the difference may be. :/

I dealt with it last summer by finally buying a PC. And I'm not saying this to be yet another annoying PC gamer, take it as a friendly advice from a fellow console-only gamer instead - save up some cash and buy a PC. I've never ever regret that choice. Consoles are still my favorites and I'm still using a controller on the PC too but the fact that I can finally do something about it when the optimization isn't to my liking is worth all the extra cash invested. If I don't like that the framerate goes down a bit in some areas I just change the settings a bit, and... 60. :)

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
About as insecure as PS4 owners who come into XB1 threads to make fun of the fact that a game isn't 1080p?
Or about as insecure as XB1 owners who come inte PS4 threads to gloat when an exclusive isn't holding up to the hype?

Happens all the time. And I got banned once when I got mad at PC people talking about their PC version in a PS3/360 thread about Skyrim, so apparently this is just something you have to get used to, especially when it's multiplatform and it all becomes some kind of weird competition to be the one with the best version no matter how tiny and unimportant the difference may be. :/

I dealt with it last summer by finally buying a PC. And I'm not saying this to be yet another annoying PC gamer, take it as a friendly advice from a fellow console-only gamer instead - save up some cash and buy a PC. I've never ever regret that choice. Consoles are still my favorites and I'm still using a controller on the PC too but the fact that I can finally do something about it when the optimization isn't to my liking is worth all the extra cash invested. If I don't like that the framerate goes down a bit in some areas I just change the settings a bit, and... 60. :)

Very well said, sir!

I totally agree. Gone pc and never looked back.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The frame rate can get really bad at times. If you clam that you haven't experienced any issues with performance, just wait until you fight a group of dudes in a busy area during a storm, or do anything else under similar circumstances. It gets bad, like slideshow bad. It's not enough to seriously detract from an amazing game, but it's still unfortunate. Outside of particularly taxing circumstances it's still not ideal, but tolerable considering how pretty everything is. Makes me miss having a nice PC.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Having played on the xb1 in 900p30fps then straight to pc with 108060 i have to agree for singleplayer games.

I know it's an investment but I really feel people need to experience this game at high setting and high framerate. It's incredible. I'm looking forward too the digital foundry, but I don't think people will truly see the difference in YouTube video. I hope they fix ps4 framerate. Such an incredible game should run as well as possible

Putty

So far so good on my PS4 playthrough. That patch should land Monday/Tuesday so let's see how things are with that for those who things it's unplayable in its current state.

Sanpei

Dude, that's what I can't believe.

I am playing X1 and it runs very well day 1 IMO. This frame pacing issue has no effect on the game in my eyes. And the frame rate seems pretty good.

Pretty happy and not lacking IMO.

This....I have no issues with frame pacing etc on XBO...Game runs good...So beatiful...
I think they will lock it with new patch...

Below 30 fps is worse....

And; i like using achievemnt pictures on my console...That's a plus for me

Had a side-quest where I used a lamp, sub 20fps constant indoors. This is really bad, sorry. As much as I like this game, the performance can get really bad some times.

Sanpei

Is there any comparison for PS4 and XBO screens using same scenes ?

I wonder the difference between 900p vs 1080p on this game...How much can we notice it ?

Gold_Loot

So far so good on my PS4 playthrough. That patch should land Monday/Tuesday so let's see how things are with that for those who things it's unplayable in its current state.
That shit is hyperbole beyond belief. Yeah , you see it bog down in the... bog, but other than that, the game runs pretty Damn good on ps4, considering its equivalent to high on pc.

c0de

Is there any comparison for PS4 and XBO screens using same scenes ?

I wonder the difference between 900p vs 1080p on this game...How much can we notice it ?

Huh? There are comparison screens in the eurogamer article... even with a magnifier.

GVA1987

Outside of the opening cutscene I haven't noticed any major issues playing on the XB1. Very pretty game. If I can play all the way through GTA5 on 360 I can deal with any framerate lagging. Man that game made me feel ill.

They've done great work on consoles imo for something of this scope.

Putty

That shit is hyperbole beyond belief. Yeah , you see it bog down in the... bog, but other than that, the game runs pretty Damn good on ps4, considering its equivalent to high on pc.

I'm yet to notice anything substantial, which a number of posters seem to have had. The only other open world game i've played that ran the same or better has been FC4. I played GTAV before the patch that fixed the frame rate during city section driving.

I'm yet to notice anything substantial, which a number of posters seem to have had. The only other open world game i've played that ran the same or better has been FC4. I played GTAV before the patch that fixed the frame rate during city section driving.

You probably haven't been to the areas where the frame rate bogs down, as mentioned on this page. I'm still in white orchard and havnt run into any noticable dips but that doesn't mean other areas won't drop.

big_z

Framerate issues on PS4 are mostly tolerable, that is until you get into the swamps on a rainy day, holy balls.

has anyone recorded video of this area on both xbox and ps4. i wouldn't mind seeing how it actually runs. it sounds like the worst case scenario at least on the ps4.

5-7 business days. i wouldn't expect it until the end of the month.

Putty

has anyone recorded video of this area on both xbox and ps4. i wouldn't mind seeing how it actually runs. it sounds like the worst case scenario at least on the ps4.

5-7 business days. i wouldn't expect it until the end of the month.

26th not near the end of the month? 8)

Putty

You probably haven't been to the areas where the frame rate bogs down, as mentioned on this page. I'm still in white orchard and havnt run into any noticable dips but that doesn't mean other areas won't drop.

I'm into the 2nd area, all ok so far, but i'll get to said points at some point.

_Clash_

Ok, now I'm 15 hrs in,

Have not had a noticeable stutter in game. Some texture pop in but runs really well IMO and I was nervous. On X1.

It's a pretty smooth experience.

Vroadstar

Your comment suggests you had a choice. So I guess good that you got the version that has better framerates in some cutscenes as its only advantage? Yay?

Golden! reading comprehension really needs to be reinforced with regard to some posters here.

Glomby

Started playing for the first time yesterday on my One and it's really easy to tell the framerate is pretty good but frame pacing isn't. At first it felt quiet bad and actually annoying. It didn't stop me from playing 4 hours straight, though. I just couldn't stop.

I can definitely feel the stutter all the time, the next patch might make the game a whole lot more enjoyable for me. If this was 30fps all the time without frame pacing issues, it would suck me in completely.

At least the Xbox basically never drops below 30 fps, so capping it at 30 should be no problem. I'm really looking forward to this update but I have to say I'm extremely sensitive to this kind of stuff. On my PC it sometimes annoys me when frame rates drop Von 120 to 80 fps :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You sure it's not the frame pacing issues?
It was not.

Dragon Age was VERY consistent on XO. It was possible for slowdown to appear in certain circumstances but it was a locked 30fps 99% of the time. You could play through the first few areas without ever encountering a single dip.

It was about as smooth as you could hope for in an open world RPG, to be honest.

Chobel

It was not.

Dragon Age was VERY consistent on XO. It was possible for slowdown to appear in certain circumstances but it was a locked 30fps 99% of the time. You could play through the first few areas without ever encountering a single dip.

It was about as smooth as you could hope for in an open world RPG, to be honest.

My bad, I thought he was talking about TW3.

driver116

They were thinking : you console peasant deserve nothing more than 20fps. Don't buy our game we only spent a few years working on it. It's just a massive open world game your are entitled to trash my game when cutscenes drop to lower framrates and gameplay is mostly at 30 FPS.

This is a performance thread you know, the topic of discussion being the performance of the game.

c0de

I didn't said nothing wrong about DA's framerate. Good? Good.
?
Chobel said:
This can't be right, Dragon age had locked 30fps (with no dips) in XB1.
Conduit said:
It has here and there. Just like the PS4 version.

So to my understanding you imply that the PS4 version of DA has the same performance as the Xbone version which is not true. I don't know if this is "good".

Conduit

Banned
?

So to my understanding you imply that the PS4 version of DA has the same performance as the Xbone version which is not true. I don't know if this is "good".

What i said wrong?
Yes, XO version has drops like the PS4 version. Does it mean in equal amount? No!

Both version are pretty stable. Just PS4 had little more framedrops. Let's say more here and there.

Killer

Banned
It's really sad when devs create this massive, incredible open world and all we do is bitch and moan about how many pixels on the screen.

Playing onX1 I haven't really noticed any frame hitching. Sometimes the framerate goes up to 40 FPS during convos though and that's immediately noticeable and jarring. Would prefer it locked.

just slightly nudge the camera stick to left or right you will see that the rotation is not always happening at a constant speed...

Chobel

It's really sad when devs create this massive, incredible open world and all we do is bitch and moan about how many pixels on the screen.

Most of the discussion here is about framerate.

What i said wrong?
Yes, XO version has drops like the PS4 version. Does it mean in equal amount? No!

Both version are pretty stable. Just PS4 had little more framedrops. Let's say more here and there.

XB1 version frame drops were very rare.

c0de

What i said wrong?

This is not the right place but the Xbone version performed better. Is it that hard to you to say? It is evident in the video and in the text, yet you try to paint a picture of "same" which is not true. But this doesn't belong in this thread at all, I just wanted to know what you meant in the first place and my suspicion was right.

SgtCobra

Well this is a DF thread, don't know what else should be discussed over here other than IQ and frame rate.

Top Bottom