• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Witcher 3 performance analysis XO/PS4

AFAIK, frame pacing is just a way to mask frame drops by repeating frames.

Frame pacing is when a single frame is delayed longer that it should be displayed, thus creating a duplicate frame and giving the illusion of stutter.

If the frame rate was locked, the pacing would 'sync' as expected and no duplicates would be created.

-griffy-

Banned
Frame pacing is when a single frame is delayed longer that it should be displayed, thus creating a duplicate frame and giving the illusion of stutter.

If the frame rate was locked, the pacing would 'sync' as expected and no duplicates would be created.

No, a framerate can be locked and still have frame pacing issues. See Destiny in the alpha/beta, which has been essentially locked to an unwavering 30fps since it's been playable to the public, yet still suffered from frame pacing issues.

A frame pacing issue means a frame is displayed for more refresh cycles than it should be, but it can still be displaying the correct number of frames in a given second. Remember that a typical refresh rate is 60hz, which means for a 30fps game every single frame should display for two refresh cycles. A frame pacing issue means sometimes a frame could display for three refresh cycles, sometimes 1 refresh cycle, sometimes 2. It could still be displaying 30 frames per second, but since each frame isn't on screen for the same amount of time it feels inconsistent.

mmmv2gb.png

Yay!

mintylurb

It really doesn't
Have you seen the PC version on Ultra running at a solid 60...? It's pretty damn amazing.

Overall it looks great, but it does have some less than flattering textures even on the Ultra setting(gtx 980).

CoG

Yes but why was the frame delayed? I would assume it's because the renderer could not keep up and locking the frame is no guarantee the problem would go away.

I'm not a graphics engineer but I think we're trivializing why the Xbox version is unlocked and why it has frame pacing issues. I think if locking the framerate was the silver bullet CDPR would have done so with the patch.

Fredrik

I was like "Thank god I bought this game for PC".

*Goes check the frame rate*

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Well you can atleast do something about it, lower the res or level of detail etc, on console you're forever stuck with the framerate the devs has chosen for you.

93xfan

Banned
Oh hell no! That 900p crap needs to die in a fire already, not be something that developers start thinking if a viable option on the PS4 as well. Leers at EA...

Is rather have a slight cropping. No where near what the order has, but maybe a small bit on the top and bottom, if that could fix this.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Besides the jitter in the opening cut scence, game looks excellent on the Xbox one. Got off work early today so had time to play for about 4 hrs and dam it's great.

Can't say if the ps4 version is better but can say but can say Xbox one doesn't feel lacking.

Sotha_Sil

Only played for about an hour and a half last night, and while it was clearly a little sluggish compared to other games on my PS4, it would be dishonest of me to say it's anywhere approaching "unplayable" levels, as a few have seemingly implied.

Hopefully some future patches can get it cleaned up.

cakely

lmao. Cutscenes don't matter now?

The gameplay fluctuates between 27-30 regularly.

People in this thread are acting as if gameplay is capped at 20fps, which it clearly isn't. Oh, and laughing my ass off. Did I get that right?

THRILLH0

Banned
People in this thread are acting as if gameplay is capped at 20fps, which it clearly isn't. Oh, and laughing my ass off. Did I get that right?

Those were replies to a comment I made about 20fps not being great. I never mentioned gameplay but people were only too keen to jump down my throat.

Does it matter as much in cutscenes? Of course not but it still sucks.

mario_O

lmao. Cutscenes don't matter now?

Matter? I honestly don't know how much it matters if you're just watching a video and not playing. But hopefully devs will sort out that bug.

The gameplay fluctuates between 27-30 regularly.

I fluctuates between 27-30 in Norigrand. In the video it stays between 29-30 most of the time when playing out in the countryside.

I've been on the fence till now about buying this in the short term. Reading the analysis I think I'll wait a few months and pick it up later. It certainly reads like the ps4 version is underpeforming and I've got a few games in my backlog to catch up anyway.

It's interesting how much reviews let technical issues slide when the game excels so well with presentation in other areas, I guess you can wait a month or so after you bought it for the game to be a smooth experience, along with acceptable load times.

THRILLH0

Banned
I fluctuates between 27-30 in Norigrand. In the video it stays between 29-30 most of the time when playing out in the countryside.

Why does it matter which area of the game it is? Nobody is saying the entire game is a slideshow.

What's the point in differentiating between Norigrand (where it actually drops as low as 25) and open fields?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Comparison shots reveal very poor AF on both consoles (8x on PS4, 4x on Xbox One).

Er...8xAF is not poor, especially on console where this gen, actually having AF is something completely new to console gamers.

UnrealEck

What's the point in differentiating between Norigrand and open fields?

Is this an honest question?
Why wouldn't it matter? Novigrad is part of the game. Besides that, there's other areas like Novigrad (villages, cities, built-up areas).

edit: misintepreted your post, so my comment was in agreement and directed at the other guy.

Gold_Loot

Those were replies to a comment I made about 20fps not being great. I never mentioned gameplay but people were only too keen to jump down my throat.

Does it matter as much in cutscenes? Of course not but it still sucks.
It happens for a split second due to the scene just loading in. Lets not get too carried away here.

mejin

Er...8xAF is not poor, especially on console where this gen, actually having AF is something completely new to console gamers.

Is it confirmed? Didn't see this on the analysis. Maybe it's true, people are really quiet about it, no concerns now.

So, to those playing on XB1....is the performance a dealbreaker? I still can't decide if I want to pick this up.

I wouldn't call performance on either console a dealbreaker. If you want to play the game, it works. If you want to wait until there are fewer issues, there's at least one performance patch on the way.

mitchlol

I'd question how much the devs could possibly do to improve the framerate for consoles without sacrificing image quality.... lets be realistic these consoles aren't high end machines, they're low range PCs running a brand new high-end game. To even get 30fps would be an achievement for a game of this scale....

Games are going to need to scale back as the generation goes on otherwise PS4/Xbone versions are going to look like a slide-show or texture-less.

I'm running on PC 1080p/60fps High with hairworks off, what does hairworks do differently?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
So, to those playing on XB1....is the performance a dealbreaker? I still can't decide if I want to pick this up.

Played for 4+ hrs today, outside of the jittering in the opening cut scene I haven't noticed any performance issues. If there is anything there its not notiecable to me.

I wouldn't call performance on either console a dealbreaker. If you want to play the game, it works. If you want to wait until there are fewer issues, there's at least one performance patch on the way.

Played for 4+ hrs today, outside of the jittering in the opening cut scene I haven't noticed any performance issues. If there is anything there its not notiecable to me.

No the game is fantastic. Pick it up!

Thanks guys. I think I'll pick it up tomorrow.

I'd question how much the devs could possibly do to improve the framerate for consoles without sacrificing image quality.... lets be realistic these consoles aren't high end machines, they're low range PCs running a brand new high-end game. To even get 30fps would be an achievement for a game of this scale....

Games are going to need to scale back as the generation goes on otherwise PS4/Xbone versions are going to look like a slide-show or texture-less.

I'm running on PC 1080p/60fps High with hairworks off, what does hairworks do differently?

another bullcrap from a pc gamer going into a thread clearly for consoles. how insecure.are these people to come in at these kinds.of thread to talk about their pcs? i mean, really.

Sarobi

Banned
You can't be serious. Game development IS all about hard work and perseverence.
I see many people are quick to overlook hardware deficiencies and shift the blame to the developer's supposed lack of skills/time.

That's silly.

I wasn't serious.
CDPR did a damn good job, and I've been more than happy with my play through on PS4. Definitely my GOTY.

Top Bottom