• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Witcher 3 performance analysis XO/PS4

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
And to think this is after CDProjekt has "addressed the issue" in regards to PS4 framerate problems reported before launch.

well why dont you just comqre it to a 2k~3k machine,no point in going half way there

Because most people aren't going to be able to spend 2k~3k on a PC, but 1k is far more reasonable and tends to be the sweet spot when it comes to cost vs. performance.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I can't help feeling a tad disappointed.

Any word of patches to address the framerate issues?

Why did you show that? My eyes are bleeding.

P.S. Fix your sword

I'll fix the sword when they fix the AF.
leuhkikcskn4ycuht.gif

Kinthalis

Banned
well why dont you just comqre it to a 2k~3k machine,no point in going half way there

Not sure what you're even arguing about.

The guy you originally repsonded to was tlaking about how the PC version of many games look and run better than the current genc osnoles, so ealry in the console cycle.

Your rebuttle appears to be: "Well PC's cost more!".

That's not his point.

nib95

Banned

The guy you originally repsonded to was tlaking about how the PC version of many games look and run better than the current genc osnoles, so ealry in the console cycle.

That's not his point.

Personally I'm very disappointed in the PC version. It looks surprisingly similar in Ultra to the console versions. There really should have been a setting that greatly distances it graphically.

Kinthalis

Banned
Personally I'm very disappointed in the PC version. It looks surprisingly similar in Ultra to the console versions. There really should have been a setting that greatly distances it graphically.

No it doesn't. Maybe over a heavily compressed youtube video, but I've seen the Xbone version on my Tv and my PC version running at mostly high, only a fw things in ultra, and the PC verison looks noticeably better.

Lots of youtube streamers, including Giant Bomb have also commented on the PC evrsion looking and running noticeably better than the PS4 version.

That being said, the gap could have been larger, maybe. Who knows what the limitaitons of their engine are, but regardless, the game still looks stunning.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Consoles don't have unlimited power. To get the whole game running solid 30 concessions would have to be made. That's "optimization".
It can be done, though. Look at GTAV on ps4. They made great strides with no loss in quality. Code can be further optimized.

pager99

That's not his point.
i never said anythig of the sort, i compared it to the i5 750ti combo and he brought up the 800 to 1000 pc argument so your point is mute

I hope a developer makes a game in 1080p/60fps that has you walk around a cubed room for 5 hours until the credits roll. Then maybe people will see how ridiculous it is to go on and on about the minor technical deficiencies of a game that otherwise has unparalleled depth and content.

We are nitpicking a massive open-world RPG; hyperbolizing and catastrophisizing without giving credit to the enormous amount of content that is having to be pushed out at any given second

This.

latest

nib95

Banned
No it doesn't. Maybe over a heavily compressed youtube video, but I've seen the Xbone version on my Tv and my PC version running at mostly high, only a fw things in ultra, and the PC verison looks noticeably better.

Lots of youtube streamers, including Giant Bomb have also commented on the PC evrsion looking and running noticeably better than the PS4 version.

That being said, the gap could have been larger, maybe. Who knows what the limitaitons of their engine are, but regardless, the game still looks stunning.

Well, the Xbox One version runs in 900p, so naturally the difference would be greater. Between the PS4 and PC version though? Seems to be very little, not nearly as much as you'd expect for the highest setting anyway. I'm sure DF will have a comparison up soon where we'll be able to compare in greater detail, including direct captures.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned

imn playing at ultra on my tv and it looks absoultey insane. much better than the consoles, like jaw dropping good. I don't know where you have seen it, but its incredible on my infront of me

Sownic

Banned
If I have to be honest, it does not really look that good. cross platform games won't make good use of Console specific strengths. For graphics, i stick to exclusive games.

nib95

Banned
imn playing at ultra on my tv and it looks absoultey insane. much better than the consoles, like jaw dropping good. I don't know where you have seen it, but its incredible on my infront of me

There's been several video comparisons and screenshots posted, and honestly the graphical differences are minor, especially given the potential hardware differences. Probably less of a difference than any recent big multiplatform game (PCars, Battlefield Hardline, Assassin's Creed Unity etc). And thinking it looks incredible is not the same as thinking there isn't as much difference between the PS4 and PC version graphically speaking. Then again, there's always the potential performance advantage, which to many will be even more important.

Gurish

I'm playing the game on PS4, no complaints here, really runs great, looks so beautiful (most impressive game on PS4 imo), wonderful job by CDP, people forgot how open world games used to run previous gen, TW3 on PS4 runs better than any other open world game I've played previous gen, it's much better than Unity, only cross gen open world games runs better on PS4, I'm very happy with how this game turned out on PS4.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
We are nitpicking a massive open-world RPG; hyperbolizing and catastrophisizing without giving credit to the enormous amount of content that is having to be pushed out at any given second.

Complaints about frame rate troubles when combined with fast-paced real-time action combat systems should not be considered "nitpicking."

In my mind, frame rates should never be considered nitpicking in motion-based interactive product. Having smooth and stable frame rates are completely integral to the experience. Such complaints can, of course, be separated from any praise about the game's content, but that amazing content should never excuse poor technical performance.

My bad...
Drops down to 20fps: this is next gen baby !;-)

Well, to be fair, it's not the PS4's hardware causing it to drop to 20fps. It's the way the game is designed, where it artificially locks it to 20fps if the game drops below 30fps (am I correct in this after reading DF's article?).

It's a performance analysis thread... you know... where you analyze the performance?

These post and people praising them make me scratch my head. Like, you do read the thread titles before posting in them right?

People aren't analyzing performance.. they are bitching about it.. and complaining how CDPR didn't deliver despite the fact that -- they indeed DID deliver a stunning and sure to be GOTY contender. You know how many games have dipped below the specified 30fps target this gen?

Here -- let me help you out:

"So what's the story? Well the bad news is quite simply that, despite implementing a 30fps cap, Bloodborne struggles to run at a smooth frame-rate. Across the breadth of our tests in both Central Yharnam and the Hunter's Dream hub area, genuine drops are infrequent, but a factor that drags performance down to brief lows of 24fps."

nib95

Banned
Well, to be fair, it's not the PS4's hardware causing it to drop to 20fps. It's the way the game is designed, where it artificially locks it to 20fps if the game drops below 30fps (am I correct in this after reading DF's article?).

Yes, and only during cut scenes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
People aren't analyzing performance.. they are bitching about it.. and complaining how CDPR didn't deliver despite the fact that -- they indeed DID deliver a stunning and sure to be GOTY contender.

There's another thread talking about the game in general. This is about the performance. It runs poorly.

Bloodborne is my favorite game this year, but it still ran like shit and it would have been a far better game if it didn't.

Kezen

Banned
Well, the Xbox One version runs in 900p, so naturally the difference would be greater. Between the PS4 and PC version though? Seems to be very little, not nearly as much as you'd expect for the highest setting anyway. I'm sure DF will have a comparison up soon where we'll be able to compare in greater detail, including direct captures.

You can drastically enhance some aspects of the game using config files tweak.
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

Why didn't they expose those in the game ? Well, too many PC gamers get angry when they can't "max out" everything.

hatchx

Banned
I hope a developer makes a game in 1080p/60fps that has you walk around a cubed room for 5 hours until the credits roll. Then maybe people will see how ridiculous it is to go on and on about the minor technical deficiencies of a game that otherwise has unparalleled depth and content.

1. We are nitpicking a massive open-world RPG; hyperbolizing and catastrophisizing without giving credit to the enormous amount of content that is having to be pushed out at any given second.

1. I was kind of hoping those two would go together this gen....

......maybe next gen. (or late, late this gen?)

Kezen

Banned
I was kind of hoping those two would go together this gen....

Would you have been okay with the significant visual cutbacks necessary in order to hit 60fps in an open world game ?
Graphics matter a lot more to many people than framerate so I completely understand why they're shooting for 30fps with a more flattering package.

There's another thread talking about the game in general. This is about the performance. It runs poorly.

Bloodborne is my favorite game this year, but it still ran like shit and it would have been a far better game if it didn't.

Ok. That could have been said on the first page. Why are we at 13 pages now?

joecanada

People aren't analyzing performance.. they are bitching about it.. and complaining how CDPR didn't deliver despite the fact that -- they indeed DID deliver a stunning and sure to be GOTY contender. You know how many games have dipped below the specified 30fps target this gen?

"So what's the story? Well the bad news is quite simply that, despite implementing a 30fps cap, Bloodborne struggles to run at a smooth frame-rate. Across the breadth of our tests in both Central Yharnam and the Hunter's Dream hub area, genuine drops are infrequent, but a factor that drags performance down to brief lows of 24fps."

So lots of games have disappointing performance so far this gen? Sounds exactly what the thread is about. I will pick this up used, hate shuddering framerate it's the worst.

UnrealEck

If I have to be honest, it does not really look that good. cross platform games won't make good use of Console specific strengths. For graphics, i stick to exclusive games.

I don't think it really make good use of any platform strengths. But I don't really know what strengths a console has for an open world game like this. You can't do the same tricks you can with a linear game. You have your hardware budget being used by a much larger scene, so it's less densely packed graphically.
Have you seen the amount of complaints about the PC version? The graphical option differences are really dissapointing, yet still manage to offer up dissapointing performance even on anything but really high end (SLI and CF) machines.
For such a small increase in quality, you're paying such a large increase in resources. If there was a chart, the gradient would be very steep.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ok. That could have been said on the first page. Why are we at 13 pages now?

The more important question is why in the world does it seem to bother you so much?

Are you going to go into all threads and try to police them when you feel people are talking too much in way you don't approve of?

c0de

It can be done, though. Look at GTAV on ps4. They made great strides with no loss in quality. Code can be further optimized.

Different game, different engine, different budget, different approach to an open world, different design...
Seriously, this comparison shouldn't be made (but I think GTA V looks great on current gen, though).

be honest, you just can't handle the criticism, can you?

Elandyll

Banned

And afaik it's only in a cutscene, which would point out to a lack of optimization really.

Really sad state of affairs for the console versions. It's like we're already back where we were in 2012 or so with the 360/PS3 versions of game in relation to PC versions on moderate hardware.

Such a disappointing generation thus far outside of Bloodborne (which also has terrible performance issues) for me.

I have to agree with that - unfortunately.

The more important question is why in the world does it seem to bother you so much?

Are you going to go into all threads and try to police them when you feel people are talking too much in way you don't approve of?

I don't care. I'm enjoying the game regardless... I was only responding to the snide comment by Wavebossa.

Complain to your hearts content.. Carry on!

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Weird that the Xbox One can keep the frame rate above the PS4 during the "bad" moments, yet they say the stutter feels worse on Xbox.

Maybe I'm just oblivious to it, but I've only noticed the stutter once during a cutscene.(XB1 version) I've only been to White Orchard and the palace areas so far though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't care. I'm enjoying the game regardless... I was only responding to the snide comment by Wavebossa.

Complain to your hearts content.. Carry on!

Not seeing how it was a snide comment when it was questioning your praise of a completely off-base post that more or less told people in a performance thread to not talk about the game's performance issues since it has some really awesome content in it.

Anyway, thanks for the permission to carry on, boss.

Weird that the Xbox One can keep the frame rate above the PS4 during the "bad" moments, yet they say the stutter feels worse on Xbox.

Well, that would be the case if the frame pacing is worse on top of the unlocked frame rate. It would cause the stutter to be worse then the PS4 version.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Well, that would be the case if the frame pacing is worse on top of the unlocked frame rate. It would cause the stutter to be worse then the PS4 version.

Fair enough. Not technically minded enough to know. I've seen a frame pacing explananation someone gave in another thread that kinda made sense.

erawsd

I was kind of hoping those two would go together this gen....

Thats not going to change until the devs change their mind about framerate vs "player experience" (as Naughty Dog put it). Next gen we'll continue to see 30 fps because they'll just use the additional resources for even greater graphic fidelity.

Fair enough. Not technically minded enough to know. I've seen a frame pacing explananation someone gave in another thread that kinda made sense.

Heh, I am just making an assumption that the frame pacing is worse. If it isn't, then capping to 30fps would bring it in-line with the PS4 version.

Top Bottom