• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry may not be covering Hogwarts Legacy (Update: Cunts showed up to John's home to harass him prior to all of this.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I'm guessing some of you were waiting for their analysis before pulling the trigger but don't hold your breath. According to a staff member, they won't be covering it and haven't covered the game in a long time anyway.

This is too bad because not only does this game seem to have severe performance issues on PC so far but the bottlenecks are extremely confusing and hard to isolate. Would have been nice if a major outlet tried to get to the bottom of this but DF is out. Not sure if nxgamer will review it either. Haven't heard anything from him.

A6p0aOD.png

QYViaeL.png

Performance on PC seems all over the place and the game is extremely CPU-heavy. There also seems to be memory allocation issues or RAM spillover but this isn't clear. I've seen some high-end machines run it fairly well while others run it like crap. Difficult to tell what's what but it'd be probably be best to wait for the Day 1 patch which I believe is due tomorrow.

I think console performance is fine though.

Update: John Lineman and Alex Battaglia aren't covering it but according to John, Oliver expressed interest so he might cover it.

So. Just had a private conversation on Twitter with Linneman. He actually messaged me. I won't post the transcript but take my word for it. So basically what he told me is that he hates Harry Potter and that's why he won't cover it. But it will be covered. Juts not by him. They don't have the game yet. He also told me that someone he believed to be a person from Resetera showed up at his doorstep and that made it personal for him. He dislikes the place as much as we do actually. They somehow got a hold of his address.
OuFA9ZQ.jpg

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
And who is this guy posting that I don't reccon?

I Don't remember anything said about not "reviewing". Actually, DF doesn't review is more like a tech analisys. But if true thats very weird, theirs fan will be very dissapointed on them. Specially since that never stop them doing videos, happened before with Cyberpunk and Ion Maiden.

I used to watch DF in the early days but they are so fucking annoying and they also hate having to say anything slightly positive about a game that isn't running on a Playstation.

Sometimes I'd still check out a video but now that they are brave woke warrior allies? Well, now I'll make a point to not give them another view again.

Hope it's hurting them not getting those Hogwarts views. Lots of lost money there lol.

supernova8

Banned
Surely doing a purely technical video wouldn't have been an issue, especially given that IGN reviewed it (and gave it a great high score). I guess the idea is that they expect to get dogpiled for covering the game in any capacity whatsoever.

Surely doing a purely technical video wouldn't have been an issue, especially given that IGN reviewed it (and gave it a great high score). I guess the idea is that they expect to get dogpiled for covering the game in any capacity whatsoever.
Ah but...but...making a video that would influence someones buying decision is harmful and dangerous. Nobody should be reviewing the game, analysing performance, or talking about it at all...unless of course it's in the effort to stop people buying it! When that doesn't work you should resort to spoiling the game for people so they can't enjoy it anymore! That's a guaranteed way to get people on our side! /s

NickFire

I’m sure it’s the smart move for them. I know if I wanted the best value for advertising therapy and psychiatric services, I would definitely look at websites which narrowly tailor their coverage to what a tiny fraction of people want to read, and who happen to call for a boycott of the biggest game of 2023. That crowd is definitely where the money is these days.

Edit - wait, DF is in the video game industry? Oh I’m sure it’s still fine to cater solely to the boycott video games crowd. The publishers know the money comes from people like that. Definitely won’t backfire and turn off both most of gaming audience and advertisers.

skit_data

Digital Foundry won’t be covering what will probably be one of the best selling games of 2023, what a joke.
This game in particular will be one of the most interesting also, since it will be on Switch (which will be very interesting in terms of comparing it with current gen consoles).

I got a hunch NXGamer won’t be backing down from it though, so we will probably have a good comparison in the end anyway.

GHG

Digital Foundry won’t be covering what will probably be one of the best selling games of 2023, what a joke.
This game in particular will be one of the most interesting also, since it will be on Switch (which will be very interesting in terms of comparing it with current gen consoles).

I got a hunch NXGamer won’t be backing down from it though, so we will probably have a good comparison in the end anyway.

The problem with NXGamer on the PC side is that he doesn't have the PC hardware necessary to do a thorough analysis.

Alex does but when he's not virtue signalling he's sat there being fragile and crying instead of actually doing his job.

I'm interested to see how it runs on Switch too. Not that I'll be buying it but I'm curious how it'll look and run.

Lost opportunity for them but oh well. They made their decision.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Retardalia said he won't be covering the game. Doesn't mean John, Oliver, Tom or Rich couldn't.
Who is the other fella stating that?
They haven't covered the game in months as per the post. Eurogamer, their parent site and where all of DF's text analyses are posted says they won't be covering it. Alex who covers pretty much all PC releases also won't be covering it. Eurogamer and by extension DF, is boycotting the game it seems.

Skifi28

If this is true, that's very sad news. It's good to make a stand once in a while, if you set a precedent of pandering to a minority that doesn't even play games you will forever be under their foot and still eventually get canceled anyway as history has proven.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I used to watch DF in the early days but they are so fucking annoying and they also hate having to say anything slightly positive about a game that isn't running on a Playstation.
Sometimes I'd still check out a video but now that they are brave woke warrior allies? Well, now I'll make a point to not give them another view again.
Hope it's hurting them not getting those Hogwarts views. Lots of lost money there lol.
Wait I thought GAF told me they were Xbox fanboys.
You mean they are actually Playstation fanboys?

P.S
Digital Foundry is under Eurogamer which in turn is wholly owned by the GNL (the same company that owns Rock Paper Shotgun, VG247, GameIndustry Biz etc etc)....which itself is wholly owned by Reel Ex......the DF guys are on a Salary, whether a video does well or not doesnt actually affect their pay.
Not covering Hogwartz Legacy on Digital Foundrys Youtube channel is not even a drop in the ocean in loss of potential revenue terms.

Yeah I always got the impression John is a bit up Sony’s arse. He edited a post here once where he admitted he wished Microsoft had never entered the industry but can stay professional about it in his work, a few of us saw it before he quickly edited it .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom