• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Trends - Sonos Debuts Its First Headphones, LG unveils 10,000-Nit OLED Display for headsets

Big Sonos fan and was looking forward to the headphones. But if they don’t do anything different than the AirPods Max, I don’t see how they can justify the price.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I don't get the Sonos headphones, the appeal of Sonos was excellent sound quality at a mid level price. These do not fit that profile.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Big Sonos fan and was looking forward to the headphones. But if they don’t do anything different than the AirPods Max, I don’t see how they can justify the price.

No ldac.. No lossless... Thin bass profile. Massively overpriced

I don't get the Sonos headphones, the appeal of Sonos was excellent sound quality at a mid level price. These do not fit that profile.

Single button press to output anything connected to your Sonos system to the Ace sounds really nice to me.

I have my Series S, Switch, PC, Apple TV, etc.. all outputting to my Arc setup. Would be really nice to just turn on my headphones and have everything automatically output to those instead.

Last edited:

LordCBH

Imagine a 10,000 nit oled TV, rofif will either go blind or say nits are important now

Me booting up Assassin’s Creed 3 remastered on thst tv in a dark room
My Eyes Pain GIF

Single button press to output anything connected to your Sonos system to the Ace sounds really nice to me.

I have my Series S, Switch, PC, Apple TV, etc.. all outputting to my Arc setup. Would be really nice to just turn on my headphones and have everything automatically output to those instead.

That is what made me interested in the Ace to begin with. I saw someone posting about how the Apple TV can be used as a receiver for consoles. I don't think it would work seamlessly with my Sonos 5.1 setup, which is a point in favor of the Ace. But my headphone use cases are already covered except for one edge case that is just inconvenient, not impossible.

Apple TV - bluetooth headphones for all streaming
PS5 - wired headphones
Switch handheld - wired headphones
Switch docked - repair bluetooth headphones

I might end up with an Ace at some point, but $450 seems like a lot to ask for the single button functionality.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
That is what made me interested in the Ace to begin with. I saw someone posting about how the Apple TV can be used as a receiver for consoles. I don't think it would work seamlessly with my Sonos 5.1 setup, which is a point in favor of the Ace. But my headphone use cases are already covered except for one edge case that is just inconvenient, not impossible.

Apple TV - bluetooth headphones for all streaming
PS5 - wired headphones
Switch handheld - wired headphones
Switch docked - repair bluetooth headphones

I might end up with an Ace at some point, but $450 seems like a lot to ask for the single button functionality.

Agreed on all points.

Ace has some appeal to me, but I think it’s going to bomb with general consumers and we’ll probably see significant discounts before the end of the year.

If I can get a pair for ~$300 around Black Friday, I might bite.

Agreed on all points.

Ace has some appeal to me, but I think it’s going to bomb with general consumers and we’ll probably see significant discounts before the end of the year.

If I can get a pair for ~$300 around Black Friday, I might bite.

That's where I stand too, if they priced it comparably to Bose and Sony I would be all over it. But right now it's Airpods expensive without the H1 chip, with unknown ANC, and it lacks high quality codec compatibility. A 30% upgrade discount would take it down to $315 and at that price, then maybe. Typical 15% discount would still put it around $380 which is a hard sell when there are so many workarounds using other headphones.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
While the display might be technically capable of 10k nits, I doubt any company that uses it would choose to use such a high brightness.
It's more likely they will restrict it to say 2K-4K nits to increase the lifespan of the display.

Top Bottom