• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: X1 memory performance improved for production console/ESRAM 192 GB/s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
TFLOP performance on Xbox One is not confirmed and just like ESRAM may have not been final at the time of the leak, therefore this analysis is flawed.

They said in the article that the GPU clock "remains" at 800mhz, which would re-confirm the 1,23TF for a GCN-based GPU. The only other way to bump the raw FLOP-count would be to add more CUs which would imply a redesign of the APU.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So games will basically look the same and xb1 will run at 30fps while the ps4 will run at 60? I'm ok with that.

no, not at all.. nowhere near that big of a difference. more than likely ALL games will run at 30fps targets (people hoping for 60fps in most games are going to be majorly disappointed) and eventually you'll see differences closer to the middle of this gen (i.e. when PS3 porting stopped sucking and differences were mostly down to framerate, resolution, vysnc, AA, etc)

They said in the article that the GPU clock "remains" at 800mhz, which would re-confirm the 1,23TF for a GCN-based GPU.

"To the best of their knowledge"

Erasus

Better looking, sure.

You say that like it wont matter.

Take a PS2 game like FF12.

Upscale it to 1080p, and bam. Textures come alive, you can see way better off in the distance, low aliasing. The game does become better to play

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think its funny seeing Leadbetter touting the benefits of the SHAPE audio processor in Xbone after pointedly ignoring the superior sound output of the PS3 for an entire generation of Face-offs.

And sorry, but the whole article reeks of spin.

Digital Foundry said:
Based on what we're hearing about the approach to next-gen development, it could be quite some time before any on-paper advantage translates into an appreciably better experience on-screen.

Any difference is going to show in precisely the same way that its been for the last generation: peaks of load will highlight bottlenecks in the system.

ekim

"theoretically possible"

End of discussion.

Which discussion? This thread is rather Jumping-to-conclusions-that-fit-my-agenda from both sides. It's embarrassing and people that are really familiar with the matter probably died already from laughing after reading this thread. I would love to see people at least outing themselves as devs (we don't need names or studios) when contributing to these threads. (If they do post here anyway) this way we would know, who is talking shit.

pottuvoi

Banned
Upscale it to 1080p, and bam. Textures come alive, you can see way better off in the distance, low aliasing. The game does become better to play
Upscaling does nothing to textures or even overall image quality, re-render in higher resolution and you get new information.
In case of emulators and FF12 you also get a lot better texture sampling quality on top of the resolution.

Also, good news for xbox.

hodgy100

wow what happened in here, the first couple of pages are people going crazy and saying ridiculous things.

Its good that they have managed to bump up the bandwidth of the esram on the XBO this could mean slightly improved performance if a developer was to take advantage of it. But dont be mistaken this is no paradigm shift. the esram still only makes up 32MB of the XBO memory and while increased bandwidth on this will help certain operations, not everything will benefit. People saying this vastly reduces the gap between the two consoles are delirious at best.

this is good! but don't let hyperbole grab you!

ElTorro

I think its funny seeing Leadbetter touting the benefits of the SHAPE audio processor in Xbone after pointedly ignoring the superior sound output of the PS3 for an entire generation of Face-offs.

In addition, The PS4 has a dedicated audio processor as well. I guess the only substantial difference is that the XBox' hardware's "fancy" name got public through leaked documents.

rothbart

Call me simple, but how does "really fucking fast" access to 32MB or RAM make a big difference if you're, say, dealing with way more memory than 32MB? It seems like if you're reading/writing to memory outside of that 32MB, it'd be slow again once you're outside of the super-fast RAM that can now simultaneously read/write under the correct circumstances...

I just don't see how 32MB of even "scientifically proven absolutely instantaneous" RAM could speed up the rest of the memory access to the point that we could be talking comparable overall performance. I keep picturing a Ferrari trying to get through mid-town Manhattan and hitting every single red light, versus the bike messenger blowing through intersections like it ain't no thang. From light to light, that Ferrari is fast... but once it hits that, overall performance favors the guy that just keeps on going at a steadily fast pace (albeit in this analogy, the bike messenger/PS4 himself is really friggin' fast to begin with.)

Is it really "nearly as fast" access to 32MB of RAM on the Xbox One comparing to "still faster" access to all 8GB of RAM on the PS4 that people are saying should be comparable?

ekim

Call me simple, but how does "really fucking fast" access to 32MB or RAM make a big difference if you're, say, dealing with way more memory than 32MB? It seems like if you're reading/writing to memory outside of that 32MB, it'd be slow again once you're outside of the super-fast RAM that can now simultaneously read/write under the correct circumstances...

I just don't see how 32MB of even "scientifically proven absolutely instantaneous" RAM could speed up the rest of the memory access to the point that we could be talking comparable overall performance. I keep picturing a Ferrari trying to get through mid-town Manhattan and hitting every single red light, versus the bike messenger blowing through intersections like it ain't no thang. From light to light, that Ferrari is fast... but once it hits that, overall performance favors the guy that just keeps on going at a steadily fast pace (albeit in this analogy, the bike messenger/PS4 himself is really friggin' fast to begin with.)

From what I know - could be entirely wrong:
The ESRam is more or less handled as a cache - so while you are pumping memory from the ESRam to the GPU or vice versa you can fill the ESRam with data from the DRam. (Note that this is done in a split of milliseconds) so while the GPU is busy in one cycle you can "refill" the ESRam from the DRam to have this data accessible in the next cycle from the "faster" memory pool.

Lynn616

Is it possible that the CPU is going to be the bottle neck in the X1. The CPU may not be able to fully utilize the graphics card at any higher tera flops.

Caayn

Is it really "nearly as fast" access to 32MB of RAM on the Xbox One comparing to "still faster" access to all 8GB of RAM on the PS4 that people are saying should be comparable?
Running speed =/= acces speed

For example the GDDR5 is faster but it has a higher latency. While the DDR3 is slower but has a lower latency.

ekim

102GB/s was also confirmed, amirite? :p

I don't recall any speak of TFlops performance, link?

They talked ops per cycle - from knowing the GCN architecture, you can deduct the number of CU and thus the Flops count. So unless there is something missing in that picture, the 1.2TFlops are 99% confirmed.

ElTorro

I don't recall any speak of TFlops performance, link?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-spec-analysis-xbox-one

In terms of the GPU hardware, hard information was difficult to come by, but one of the engineers did let slip with a significant stat - 768 operations per clock. We know that both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are based on Radeon GCN architecture and we also know that each compute unit is capable of 64 operations per clock. So, again through a process of extrapolation from the drip-feed of hard facts, the make-up of the One's GPU is confirmed - 12 compute units each capable of 64 ops/clock gives us the 768 total revealed by Microsoft and thus, by extension, the 1.2 teraflop graphics core.

The FLOP-count of the PS4-GPU has been calculated the same way.

hodgy100

Is it possible that the CPU is going to be the bottle neck in the X1. The CPU may not be able to fully utilize the graphics card at any higher tera flops.

the cpu in both consoles is the same isnt it?

as I understand they are trying to make devs use GPGPU processing to offload task's to the gpu and leave the cpu to general game logic

ekim

No - this would be same for the PS4(rumor is, that both have the same CPU)so why should sony build a 1.8Tflops GPU if they could only use 1.2 of it?

They talked ops per cycle - from knowing the GCN architecture, you can deduct the number of CU and thus the Flops count. So unless there is something missing in that picture, the 1.2TFlops are 99% confirmed.

Would you happen to have a link to that? I'm curious to know the math involved, and my google-fu isn't working. :(

*Edit* Nvm, I was beaten with the math. Interesting.

charsace

These threads are annoying. I wish a Dev would leak test cases that are optimized for each console so that we can learn what the difference is. I would kill for a simple sphere collision test.

ElTorro

For example the GDDR5 is faster but it has a higher latency. While the DDR3 is slower but has a lower latency.

Not really. Latency is a result of the way the memory controller is designed to work, an memory controllers tend to work differently on CPUs and GPUs. In general, there is no inherent difference in latency between the two.

DBZ power level?

Already posted in the first 3 pages or so :p

Here

So if we update the console power to DBZ level..

PS4:
tumblr_ls02v5slfd1r1smd2o1_500.gif

XBone:
tumblr_m9e6piZyfZ1qiqegzo1_500.gif

WiiU:
tumblr_lxfr5yWNDl1r8tyjfo1_500.gif

:p

ekim

Guys, I can assure you that things are going to get pretty tumultuous from now on! Just wait a couple of hours...

You live freely if you haven't a reputation to lose, right? ^_^

Microsoft will rot in hell for this!

Wait for what?

Mrbob

Technically, you are right, it could be on both platforms. However both designs are made with a bunch of assists that not as much needs to be thrown to the CPU.

Freki

Guys, I can assure you that things are going to get pretty tumultuous from now on! Just wait a couple of hours...

You live freely if you haven't a reputation to lose, right? ^_^

Microsoft will rot in hell for this!

What's that supposed to mean? Feel free to pm if you don't want to discuss this puplicly ;-)

graywolf323

something about those numbers from Microsoft just seems off

really surprised Digital Foundry seems to have just taken them at face value

Caayn

Not really. Latency is a result of the way the memory controller is designed to work, an memory controllers tend to work differently on CPUs and GPUs. In general, there is no inherent difference in latency between the two.
Yes there is. The faster the memory the more clocks it takes before it can respond.

wow what happened in here, the first couple of pages are people going crazy and saying ridiculous things.

Its good that they have managed to bump up the bandwidth of the esram on the XBO this could mean slightly improved performance if a developer was to take advantage of it. But dont be mistaken this is no paradigm shift. the esram still only makes up 32MB of the XBO memory and while increased bandwidth on this will help certain operations, not everything will benefit. People saying this vastly reduces the gap between the two consoles are delirious at best.

this is good! but don't let hyperbole grab you!

This is what i was trying to say earlier.

I seriously don't get the hype for this. And now some are thinking the GPU will be better too.

WolvenOne

Okay, so reading all through this.

It looks like we're talking about an optimization, one of those things you can do on consoles, when you know exactly what hardware you'll be working with, and can take advantage of behavioral quirks.

It also looks like we're talking more along the lines of bursts of speed, rather than sustained speeds. That is helpful for some tasks, but between that, and the fact that this appears to only be possible on the ESRAM, means that this will only be of limited utility for game development.

The big problem I believe the X1 is going to have, are idle clock cycles while waiting for information stored on the DDR RAM. To be fair, we're probably not talking about a huge number of idle clock cycles, but they'll probably be somewhat more frequent on the X1 than on the PS4. Only so much data can be stored on the ESRAM after all, whenever the APU needs data that isn't on the ESRAM, there'll likely be a marginal delay resulting in an idle clock somewhere. Now, we're not talking about an immense bottleneck here, no system is going to be entirely free of the occasional idle clock cycle, the 360 certainly wasn't, and that did just fine. However, as a result of this, the X1 set up should be just a tiny bit less efficient, on top of slightly more difficult to develop for.

It's also worth noting, that it isn't altogether unlikely that a similar optimization will be found for the PS4 at some point. I cannot say how likely, as I do not know which component this optimization can be attributed to. As many components as the two share however, there's a decent chance that something similar can be achieved there.

Now of course, full disclaimer, I'm not actually an expert on such things. I've been apart of conversations like these long enough that I've picked up some knowledge of the subject. Others will have to confirm whether or not my read on on the situation is correct however.

driver116

This seems reactionary (imo) to Mark Cerney's presentation yesterday. Nice to see MS still has DF (Eurogamer) in their back pockets for this gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom