• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: X1 memory performance improved for production console/ESRAM 192 GB/s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinyou

Man, that blows.

So even if the RAM in the Xbone had the same amount of bandwidth that the RAM in the PS4 does, it would STILL have a 3 gig deficit?
Do we know yet how much the PS4 is reserving for the OS? During the unveil it appeared to be similar (seamless transition in and out of games)
Edit: Ah just saw the post. It takes just 1GB

Scooter

Banned
This is isn't PR though. This isn't a Press Release from MS. The author of the article says, "Well-placed development sources." How you get from that that the article is MS PR? You present no proof that the article is PR yet you call it that.

PR also means public relations so considering it's Leadbetter and the article is so masterfully written not only to hide the downclock but also to present the whole situation as a positive I'm inclined to believe that it's PR.

I find hard to believe Microsoft engineers didn't fully understand their own design and suddenly increased performance just 'happened'

Not just any increase.

An 88% increase on something that didn't get a clock increase.

I'm gonna bring back the term "Wizard Jizz."

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
At 750MHz the GPU would be 1.152TFLOPS, but we know that games only have access to 90% of that which makes the actual number available to devs 1.037TFLOPS.

Why don't games get 100% use of the GPU. Is it so you can snap etc...?

FranXico

PR also means public relations so considering it's Leadbetter and the article is so masterfully written not only to hide the downclock but also to present the whole situation as a positive I'm inclined to believe that it's PR.

I doubt that they really are hired by MS, but Richie sure loves his XBox...

Proelite

What's Leadbetter's slant?

Espada

Do we know yet how much the PS4 is reserving for the OS? During the unveil it appeared to be similar (seamless transition in and out of games)

Why would it be similar? PS4 isn't using 3 operating systems. Hell, we got our first peek at what OS it's using just a while ago. It's a variant of Free BSD 9. Knowing this, 1GB is actually plausible for the machine as it's a lightweight OS.

cyberheater said:
Why don't games get 100% use of the GPU. Is it so you can snap etc...?
It has resources in reserve so it can switch to other tasks with ease. Sony's doing it via some chip they have in the PS4. Cerny talked about it in one interview.

Man, I'm just now realizing that they've divulged a ton about that thing. Kind of frustrating to talk about the X1 when we don't have much in the way of official specs.

Man, that blows.

So even if the RAM in the Xbone had the same amount of bandwidth that the RAM in the PS4 does, it would STILL have a 3 gig deficit?

Not a 3 gig deficit because PS4 is going to have some amount of RAM reserved also.

Also, I wouldn't say that Xbox One has 3GB reserved for the OS, I would say that it has 3GB reserved for the OS and any apps that are running. Things like Skype or Netflix or the TV stuff or Twitter or what have you. The idea is that that stuff can be running concurrent with games so you can quickly flip between them. Also if something like Illumiroom comes out in a few years, they could implement it without taking away resources from games.

Kinyou

Not just any increase.

An 88% increase on something that didn't get a clock increase.

I'm gonna bring back the term "Wizard Jizz."
Wizard Jizz = Secret Sauce?

...I don't think I want to eat Microsofts noodles anymore.

Why would it be similar? PS4 isn't using 3 operating systems. Hell, we got our first peek at what OS it's using just a while ago. It's a variant of Free BSD 9. Knowing this, 1GB is actually plausible for the machine.
Like I said, the seamless switching in and out of games, I imagine that relies on the ram?

Some people are taking this a step further though:

750mhz*128byte * 2 (1 read and 1 write operation) =192GB/s

this means that a 50mhz downclock would alling with the peak memory performances given in the article.

So the actual news isn't "bandwidth increased!" but "downclock confirmed?"

oh man, this gen is a mess, and hasn't even started.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Richard Leadbetter is DF isn't he?
He is one of the people that write for DigitalFoundry, yeah.

That's the unconfirmed negative view on things. What seems to be confirmed is that they have the ability to read/write in the same cycle now which increases the overall bandwidth.

coldfoot

Banned
What's Leadbetter's slant?
- Mentions SHAPE audio as if it's something everyone's going to use and has no counterpart in PS4 (It's not going to matter anyway because devs won't care, but PS4 has an audio chip and can spare a couple CU for sound processing if required).
- Perpetuates the DDR3 lower latency than GDDR5 myth without knowing the difference in memory controllers between the two APU's.

Freki

It is PR. People are acting like the author got the news straight from MS. I don't understand how the people in this thread are certain that MS gave the author this info? There are many sources outside of MS that can have this info.

This doesn't deal with the problem that is laid out in the article at all. "Spare," is a key word in the explanation of how they are getting more out of the esram. "Spare," doesn't equate to something always happening.

A peak theoretical bandwith is a "best case" scenario so to speak - anything detrimental to this scenario isn't taken into consideration. The number only has academic value. And it should be 204,8GB/s in this case and not 192GB/s...

allan-bh

No

"they are making actual Xbox One titles and have not been informed of any hit to performance brought on by production challenges. To the best of their knowledge, 800MHz remains the clock speed of the graphics component of the processor."

There is nothing confirmed.

I find hard to believe Microsoft engineers didn't fully understand their own design and suddenly increased performance just 'happened'

Maybe the 102Gb/s for read and write was something that was 100% certain.
They could have know about the synchronous write but weren't it would make it in the final silicon.

It would be like sony saying to devs when they only knew 2gb of gddr5 was on the ps4 to use 8gb gddr5. You only tell devs what is certain guarilla also used the cpu to do sounds and only heard later there would be a dedicated audio block and they could use more ram.
This could be microsoft x1 luck that final silicon does perform by specification and they are adjusting drivers to offer these options.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm all for science and math but are we basing these calculations on a solid foundation of hardware and architecture knowledge or trial-and-error until something matches up? I mean, "engineers" realizing just now that a hardware has been bidirectional from the beginning sound embarrassing if true. Did MS know? Since they're the ones who started notifying developers lol.

Fwiw, I know jack shit about HW, but I enjoy asking questions.

this
"Microsoft techs have found" it never gives a firm narrative for whom it is describing so carefully as to make you think its talking about sources outside of MS. hyperbole number fluff piece. before the specs are released. isnt it strange this occurs the same day they release a statement saying specs aren't everything?

Spongebob

Banned
Maybe the 102Gb/s for read and write was something that was 100% certain.
They could have know about the synchronous write but weren't it would make it in the final silicon.

It would be like sony saying to devs when they only knew 2gb of gddr5 was on the ps4 to use 8gb gddr5. You only tell devs what is certain guarilla also used the cpu to do sounds and only heard later there would be a dedicated audio block and they could use more ram.
This could be microsoft x1 luck that final silicon does perform by specification and they are adjusting drivers to offer these options.
I don't believe the DSP takes off the memory footprint of sound, only the CPU footprint of it.

Espada

Like I said, the seamless switching in and out of games, I imagine that relies on the ram?

I edited my post in response to someone else, but as I said there: The PS4 has hardware dedicated to that. Same with audio and encode/decode. I'll try to find the interview where Cerny says this was down to devote as many resources to gaming as possible.

Edit: Ah, here it is.

Gamasutra said:
"The reason we use dedicated units is it means the overhead as far as games are concerned is very low," said Cerny. "It also establishes a baseline that we can use in our user experience."

"For example, by having the hardware dedicated unit for audio, that means we can support audio chat without the games needing to dedicate any significant resources to them. The same thing for compression and decompression of video." The audio unit also handles decompression of "a very large number" of MP3 streams for in-game audio, Cerny added.

Considering that they were originally designing it for 4GB RAM, they aimed at a very low footprint.

Damn, I keep forgetting that they only had devkits with 4GB for gaming. So yeah, their OS choice (and rumored footprint) does make sense given that. They got lucky as fuck that Hynix was able to come up with higher density memory.

I'm all for science and math but are we basing these calculations on a solid foundation of hardware and architecture knowledge or trial-and-error until something matches up? I mean, "engineers" realizing just now that a hardware has been was bidirectional since the beginning sound embarrassing if true. Did MS know? Since they're the ones who started notifying developers.

Fwiw, I know jack shit about HW, but I enjoy asking questions.

Maybe its a feature they couldn't guarantee would make it in.
So they played save first till final silicon was done and the feature did make it in.
Kinda like how sony didn't starting mentioning 8gb of gddr5 maybe its all just pure fucking luck and some miss communication. Maybe engineer assumed it was common knowledge and the driver write didn't or that they got lucky. Shit happens even at that level of skill and knowledge especially in crunch time and launch window you don't want to take away promised performance from launch games better play save here.

So how does the math get to the other number ?? 133gb??

even more downclocks confirmed?

I don't believe the DSP takes off the memory footprint of sound, only the CPU footprint of it.

did you forgot GG was working with an 4gb devkit or memory. And not a more recent devkit.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
No

"they are making actual Xbox One titles and have not been informed of any hit to performance brought on by production challenges. To the best of their knowledge, 800MHz remains the clock speed of the graphics component of the processor."

There is nothing confirmed.

Are you deliberately ignoring everyone in this thread?

charsace

A peak theoretical bandwith is a "best case" scenario so to speak - anything detrimental to this scenario isn't taken into consideration. The number only has academic value. And it should be 204,8GB/s in this case and not 192GB/s...
To me what you're saying has nothing to do with the solvable problem that the article presents. Peak or not what I am seeing is that every X clock cycle you get something extra. The leaps that people are taking to get the down clock number has nothing to do with the solvable problem I am picking up from the article.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I mean, "engineers" realizing just now that a hardware has been was bidirectional since the beginning sound embarrassing if true.

I have little expertise in the making of hardware, but the only way I can make sense of a suddenly discovered bandwidth increase is that they now use both the rising and falling edge of the clock signal to transmit data, instead of just one of them. But I have no idea if that is possible without redesigning the memory controller.

Freki

So how does the math get to the other number ?? 133gb??

I know you are trying to be facetious but I'll bite:

... but in real-life scenarios it's believed that 133GB/s throughput has been achieved with alpha transparency blending operations (FP16 x4)
So in contrast to best-case scenarios this can't be solved as easily with math. Simply measuring perfomance while doing real-life tasks will do the trick though - as hinted in the quote...

haterofpants

Neo Member
Sure it's theoretically possible, assuming you have a 100% hit rate on a 32MB cache. I'm guessing that's going to be more useful for GPGPU than your typical rendering shit. If your GPU has to access a bunch of detailed textures then I don't see how that 32MB is going to give you a consistent boost in overall bandwidth.

It certainly helps, but when you're trying to render a scene with 800MB of texture data, that 32MB cache isn't going to make up the difference. Again, those speeds are only relevant when you have a 100% hit rate there. Chances are you're NOT going to achieve that, and whenever you miss and pull from DDR3 that memory bandwidth is going to hurt.

To me what you're saying has nothing to do with the solvable problem that the article presents. Peak or not what I am seeing is that every X clock cycle you get something extra. The leaps that people are taking to get the down clock number has nothing to do with the solvable problem I am picking up from the article.

Maybe you can read 8bytes in 5 cycles instead of 8bytes in 8cycles. Give one command cycle wait 4 cycles and 8 bytes. instead 8 commands and for each command one byte.

Im no hardware man so yes i could be bullshitting.

Freki

Going by 192GB/s peak performance as stated by DF it would suggest that for 22 out of 25 cycles you'd get "something extra".
What do you think prevents the other 3 out of 25 cycles from getting "something extra" in a best case scenario (so forget pipeline flushes and the like...)?

charsace

Sure it's theoretically possible, assuming you have a 100% hit rate on a 32MB cache. I'm guessing that's going to be more useful for GPGPU than your typical rendering shit. If your GPU has to access a bunch of detailed textures then I don't see how that 32MB is going to give you a consistent boost in overall bandwidth.

It certainly helps, but when you're trying to render a scene with 800MB of texture data, that 32MB cache isn't going to make up the difference. Again, those speeds are only relevant when you have a 100% hit rate there. Chances are you're NOT going to achieve that, and whenever you miss and pull from DDR3 that memory bandwidth is going to hurt.

What you're saying makes no sense to me. Texture data will be stored in the DDR3. Its more than fast enough to handle high res textures no problem.

Kyon

Banned
i dont think hes ignoring anyone, he states the truth that nothing in confirmed yet. Nor will it be till the actual console is in peoples hands.

Actually we wouldn't be able to know this by opening it up and looking at it. Only devs working on it would

charsace

Maybe you can read 8bytes in 5 cycles instead of 8bytes in 8cycles. Give one command cycle wait 4 cycles and 8 bytes. instead 8 commands and for each command one byte.

Im no hardware man so yes i could be bullshitting.

Your example is what I am thinking of.

Is dragonelite the only one who understands what I'm saying?

charsace

Do we have a conclusion for this thread yet or is the debate still going on?

There are people who act like they know the in's and out's of the system and so they are taking some leaps to arrive at the down clock number. This what I have gotten out of this thread so far because people seriously aren't trying to figure out what the problem is that the article is presenting. They are jumping to conclusions and working towards a down clock amount when the article source stats that they haven't been told that their is a down clock.

So, math doesn't make sense. And a magical (literally out of nowhere) 88% increase to the 102GB/s makes sense.

This. What's more believable:

1. A downclock by 50MHz which would explain the numbers.

2. A bandwidth increase by 88% out of nowhere without clock increases.

There are people who act like they know the in's and out's of the system and so they are taking some leaps to arrive at the down clock number. This what I have gotten out of this thread so far.

Looking at what's written above, it should be clear who is taking some leaps here.

There are people who act like they know the in's and out's of the system and so they are taking some leaps to arrive at the down clock number. This what I have gotten out of this thread so far.

What are your own thoughts? I think this means absolutely nothing and this thread is huge. That Is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom