• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: X1 memory performance improved for production console/ESRAM 192 GB/s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S¡mon

Banned
...do we want such features?
I actually do. A console is much more than a gaming machine, nowadays.

The problem Microsoft has with the Xbox One, is that they are trying too hard to win over the 'casuals' and thus they are neglecting the 'real' gamers. These 'real' gamers will drive initial sales.

abadguy

Banned
S¡mon;66998811 said:
I actually do. A console is much more than a gaming machine, nowadays.

The problem Microsoft has with the Xbox One, is that they are trying too hard to win over the 'casuals' and thus they are neglecting the 'real' gamers. These 'real' gamers will drive initial sales.

The fuck's a "real gamer"?

Careful what you say. We have XBONE defenders here out for some blood.

Funny considering the posts i've seen in this thread that you'd say so called "X1 defenders" are the ones out for blood.

charsace

Gemüsepizza;66997986 said:
This. What's more believable:

1. A downclock by 50MHz which explains the numbers.

2. A bandwidth increase by 88% out of nowhere without clock increases.

Looking at what's written above, it should be clear who is taking some leaps here.

Where did I make a leap in logic? I'm curious? Because you haven't even seen the hardware in person so how do you know how the console operates? Based on what the article says I only know that what takes place that gives the extra resources doesn't happen every clock clock cycle. How you and all these other people are getting things from the article to figure out that the GPU is down clocked is where there are leaps being taken.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
We know this so far which I posted earlier:

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/feat...-ones-chief-product-officer-marc-whitten.aspx

When asked a direct question if the OS took 3GB of RAM, well, you can see the answer. It RAM issue starts at the 9:44 mark. When he is asked Whitten just nods and says he isn't going to talk about Sony - which is mentioned in the question - and then he says we think the way MS balances the system is key. He acknowledges the 5GB without doubt. Then of course he says they will have the best looking games in the living room.

Then there is the other article I listed:

http://kotaku.com/the-five-possible-states-of-xbox-one-games-are-strangel-509597078

Yeah sorry for that. I've read the part where you were banned again and I felt you stated your position reasonably while being taunted by a specific poster.

It's not yet known how much the PS4 will reserve.

There is some conjecture out there that it won't be that much, because the system was designed a long time with 4GB in mind, so reserving 3GB would be absurd but it's speculation at this point.

Edit: 2GB since PS4 is rumored to set aside 1GB for OS.

Actually it would be a 2 gig deficit if we are all on the same page of the PS4 reserving 1GB for OS. People seem to magically forget when doing a comparison that the PS4 will need to pull off some of the 8GB for their OS.

Not a 3 gig deficit because PS4 is going to have some amount of RAM reserved also.

Also, I wouldn't say that Xbox One has 3GB reserved for the OS, I would say that it has 3GB reserved for the OS and any apps that are running. Things like Skype or Netflix or the TV stuff or Twitter or what have you. The idea is that that stuff can be running concurrent with games so you can quickly flip between them. Also if something like Illumiroom comes out in a few years, they could implement it without taking away resources from games.

Ah, okay. Thanks, folks.

S¡mon

Banned
The fuck's a "real gamer"?
People who buy consoles at $499.
Seriously, though. First and foremost: sorry for the confusion. With the real gamer I'm basically talking about the people who are willing to buy a new console at launch, or shortly (let's say the first year) after.

The people who are going to buy those consoles at launch, are likely to be game or electronics enthusiasts. After that first year, the 'casuals' will follow - and those casuals tend to go for the most popular, best-selling system.

Now, what I said is that Microsoft is trying to go after the 'casuals' rightaway. What they should have done was 'go for the gamer', try to get a large install base that surpasses Sony and than after a year or so go for the casuals.

Where did I make a leap in logic? I'm curious? Because you haven't even seen the hardware in person so how do you know how the console operates? Based on what the article says I only know that what takes place that gives the extra resources doesn't happen every clock clock cycle. How you and all these other people are getting things from the article to figure out that the GPU is down clocked is where there are leaps being taken.

So you think Microsoft "discovered" an 88% increase in memory bandwidth 3-4 months before launch? You think this is more believable than a 50MHz downclock (which was rumored before) to get to those numbers? I think that's quite a big leap.

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
Gemüsepizza;66999861 said:
So you think Microsoft "discovered" an 88% increase in memory bandwidth 3-4 months before launch? You think this is more believable than a 50MHz downclock (which was rumored before) to get to those numbers? I think that's quite a big leap.

If the leap would happen, then why not just increase the 800MHz to 850MHz because nothing is final.

they are using the established formula for calculating memory bandwith is all.... they gave enough figures to do this you just have to figure for x...

charsace

Gemüsepizza;66999861 said:

I am not taking any leaps. You are calculating things based off of assumptions. You assuming that you know how the esram and memory controllers work. You assume to know the inner workings of the system. There is wording in the article that supports my line of reasoning. Show things in the article that support a down clock.

abadguy

Banned
S¡mon;66999831 said:
Seriously, though. First and foremost: sorry for the confusion. With the real gamer I'm basically talking about the people who are willing to buy a new console at launch, or shortly (let's say the first year) after.

The people who are going to buy those consoles at launch, are likely to be game or electronics enthusiasts. After that first year, the 'casuals' will follow - and those casuals tend to go for the most popular, best-selling system.

Now, what I said is that Microsoft is trying to go after the 'casuals' rightaway. What they should have done was 'go for the gamer', try to get a large install base that surpasses Sony and than after a year or so go for the casuals.

You think most hardcore gamers are "electronics enthusiasts"? Most people who play games don't really give a shit about what's under the hood, so long as the games are pretty to look at.

Even if that were the case, this is not exactly a WIIU we're dealing with here. I'm not seeing a huge "casual" focus in the launch line up, so why wouldn't gamers be interested in it?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I am not taking any leaps. You are calculating things based off of assumptions. You assuming that you know how the esram and memory controllers work. You assume to know the inner workings of the system. There is wording in the article that supports my line of reasoning. Show things in the article that support a down clock.
The same assumption that DigitalFoundry is making in their spec analysis for the Xbox One.

Are their articles now also wrong? Because you seem to defend this specific article while casting doubt at the same methodology used by DF in an earlier article.

charsace

they are using the established formula for calculating memory bandwith is all.... they gave enough figures to do this you just have to figure for x...
The calculations that are being posted has nothing to do with what the article is saying. Spare resources does not mean always. They are doing calculations based on the assumption that the resources are there for every clock cycle. The resources aren't there for every clock cycle.

The same assumption that DigitalFoundry is making in their spec analysis for the Xbox One.

Are their articles now also wrong? Because you seem to defend this specific article while casting doubt at the same methodology used by DF in an earlier article.
Those are articles based on old information. And I doubt MS gave information for things that they thought might be feasible. The api's are constantly in development and with the final hardware not being decided on until MS knew what the yields would be for mass production and whether or not they would make changes, they couldn't write the api's to fully take advantage of the hardware. Now that they are mass producing the system developers will see sizable improvements in performance now that all the parts in the system are finalized.

If the leap would happen, then why not just increase the 800MHz to 850MHz because nothing is final.

There are no indications or numbers to support this. But there are numbers which would support a downclock.

192GB/s and bi-directional throughput. Those facts are in the article. If you use them in a calculation, you can get to 750 MHz:

192GB/s / 2 (read and write) / 128 bytes = 750MHz

If the clock is 800MHz, it should be 204.8GB/s throughput. This figure doesn't even appear in the article.

So now YOU explain to me how it is possible, that Microsoft discovered 3-4 months before release that their eSRAM suddenly works in both directions, and has a bandwidth increase by 88%. You can't. Because it's bullshit.

Bubu, those MS are lying liars (when they said over 200 GB/s)

I was actually tipped off to this in May, but I didnt necessarily believe it at the time.

That source is actually IRONCLAD lol, cause he has every detail of this perfect.

There are no indications or numbers to support this. But there are numbers which would support a downclock.

Umm, which are?

Biker19

Banned
Smells like BS.

Edit: I see it is Leadbetter, back to his old ways. I read this whole thing as him talking to a friend MS employees, who is telling him about a rare occasion where the eSRAM can achieve better then typical bandwidth and they want to fight a "PS4 is faster" tide so this crap of a tech article is their brainchild. Now MS fans will run around claiming 192GB/s without qualifying it. And the stuff about SHAPE and DDR latency at the end is just the fanboy cherry on the top at the end. Leadbetter can't help himself.

I'm not surprised. Richard Leadbetter is a known Xbox fanboy who always tries to spin a lot of stuff to turn it around in Microsoft's favor & is almost always biased against other products.

Bubu, those MS are lying liars (when they said over 200 GB/s)

I was actually tipped off to this in May, but I didnt necessarily believe it at the time.

That source is actually IRONCLAD lol, cause he has every detail of this perfect.

So they probably meant 204.8GB/s with their "over 200GB/s" figure, and now we have an article which talks about 192GB/s instead of 204.8GB/s. Makes sense that they didn't clarify the exact number and how they got to this number back then, because they weren't sure about the final clock speeds.

Umm, which are?

Are you kidding me? It's in the same post.

charsace

Gemüsepizza;67001541 said:

192GB/s and bi-directional throughput. Those facts are in the article. If you use them in a calculation, you can get to 750 MHz:

192GB/s / 2 (read and write) / 128 bytes = 750MHz

If the clock is 800MHz, it should be 204.8GB/s throughput. This figure doesn't even appear in the article.

So now YOU explain to me how it is possible, that Microsoft discovered 3-4 months before release that their eSRAM suddenly works in both directions, and has a bandwidth increase by 88%. You can't. Because it's bullshit.
It could have nothing to do with changes to the esram and could be how the memory controller handles the movement of the data. Or it could be another variable that I haven't thought of. The esram itself is only one part of the memory architecture that MS was waiting on to be finalized for mass production. Now that the parts are finalized they can exploit their quirks to get some better performance.

It could have nothing to do with changes to the esram and could be how the memory controller handles the movement of the data. Or it could be another variable that I haven't thought of. The esram itself is only one part of the memory architecture that MS was waiting on to be finalized for mass production. Now that the parts are finalized they can exploit their quirks to get some better performance.

Jlaw-what.gif

Suddenly discovering that you can use eSRAM in both directions (lol!) and a bandwidth increase by 88% is not "exploiting quirks".

Biker19

Banned
Yeah, I don't get this one still. Everyone says the PS4 tools are ahead of the X1 but then why did E3 not really show that? So...what's going on there? The games shown overall seemed like parity to me, and a few titles on the X1 were actually dang impressive.

Because the hardware on PS4 was unfinished & because the games shown at E3 from PS4 were running off of early developer's kits with 4 GB's of GDDR5 at the time.

Most of the Xbox One games that were shown at E3 happen to ran off of higher end PC's with Nvidia GTX cards, not through XBO's hardware.

Kinyou

I edited my post in response to someone else, but as I said there: The PS4 has hardware dedicated to that. Same with audio and encode/decode. I'll try to find the interview where Cerny says this was down to devote as many resources to gaming as possible.

Edit: Ah, here it is.
That is good to know. Seems like the whole video recording thing will also rely on those.

benny_a

Most of the Xbox One games that were shown at E3 happen to ran off of higher end PC's with Nvidia GTX chips, not through XBO's hardware.
Some of the most impressive Xbox One games were shown on actual Xbox One hardware, like Forza and Ryse.

jaypah

So people are getting excited for a mere 40 MB of ram travelling at 192GB/s ?while the PS4 is travelling at 176GB/s with 8GB of ram on board.

Getting excited? I see people saying it's good if true, people saying this confirms a down clock and delusional people early in the thread thinking that this brings the 180 to parity with PS4. I guess some of the downclock posters seem excited (and someone even said they hope it's true) but that's about it.

Because the hardware on PS4 was unfinished & because the games shown at E3 from PS4 were running off of early developer's kits with 4 GB's of GDDR5 at the time.

Most of the Xbox One games that were shown at E3 happen to ran off of higher end PC's with Nvidia GTX chips, not through XBO's hardware.

Source/link? I know lococycle was using Nvidia hardware. Who else was?

Gemüsepizza;67002561 said:
So they probably meant 204.8GB/s with their "over 200GB/s" figure, and now we have an article which talks about 192GB/s instead of 204.8GB/s. Makes sense that they didn't clarify the exact number and how they got to this number back then, because they weren't sure about the final clock speeds.

Are you kidding me? It's in the same post.

Umm, the "over 200 GB/s" figure was assumed to be adding ESRAM and main BW, which everybody does (except here I guess, where we pretend ESRAM doesn't exist).

That's why people like you called MS liar, cause you said they just added 30 GB/s CPU BW to the existing 68+102 calculation.

Well obviously now you've completely changed the goalposts of how you assume they calculated without missing a beat.

You can get >200 just by adding 133 (one of the ESRAM figures in the DF article, supposed realistic throughput) and 68. Bang, done, no conspiracy need. That's the most likely way MS got "over 200 GB/s"

Nobody from MS ever talked about 204.8 GB/s. Once again you're inventing things.

All that said, now I do see where you got the downclock thing. There are multiple sources including the DF article in the OP saying there is no downclock, and I've heard the same from people in contact with supposedly the highest of high level sources within Microsoft first party.

BUT, if it is a 50 mhz DC, I think that's far from the catastrophic "800-900 gflops" people like you were hoping for and assuming was true a few weeks ago (I remember almost everybody in that thread assumed the downclock was fact). I dont think an 50 mhz underclock would materially change the balance of power, it would put XB1 about ~1.1 TF but I still dont believe it.

BTW, if you dont believe I have "sources" and stuff, a guy sent me this about the ESRAM on May 28

I've been told by someone I know for a fact works at MS that the eSRAM bandwidth is significantly higher than what the leaks depict.

I threw together a guesstimate of what that could be based on reverse engineering the 200GB/s figure from Baker. After doing so I got a eSRAM bandwidth of 136.8GB/s.

The guy who works for MS told me that figure was low. That info is where I am starting from.

So no, I'm far from an insider, but when I say I've heard of zero downclocks, in fact everything I've heard denies any downclocks, it does mean a little bit.

Another reason I dont believe in the downclock is something in plain site anybody can go read. Dave Baumann on B3D, who is very high up in AMD, basically said MS does not care about the APU yields. Remember the original rumor was "yields suck, so Microsoft had to downclock"

Dave hinted that due to X86 licensing, AMD is fabbing the chips not MS. As such, MS doesn't give a shit what the yields are in the first place, it's AMD's problem not their's. I assume AMD is simply contracted to deliver x chips at x clock (lets say, 800 mhz).

Note at no time did Dave say the yields were bad, he went even further and attacked the underlying assumption MS even cares what the yields are.

benny_a

Getting excited? I see people saying it's good if true, people saying this confirms a down clock and delusional people early in the thread thinking that this brings the 180 to parity with PS4. I guess some of the downclock posters seem excited (and someone even said they hope it's true) but that's about it.
Who the fuck hopes this is true? Shame them Mama Robotnik style.

charsace

This. You have people saying the down clock is true or that this brings the systems to parity are crazed.

Can anyone counter what specialguy is saying?

Espada

That is good to know. Seems like the whole video recording thing will also rely on those.

They mentioned that the PS4 had some hardware dealing with the video recording stuff back in February, but that interview really shed light on that stuff (and the fact that other aspects of the machine have hardware devoted to it). The Xbox One opted for a software solution, which has its own advantages.

USC-fan

Banned
Pretty funny a "performance" increase with fuzzy PR math confirm 50Mhz downclocks.

Thread backfire....

GAF insiders > internet

At least is only a 6.25% downclock. A lot less than a lot of people thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom