• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigiTimes: Foxconn trialing production of NX, ~10m units expected annually

Status
Not open for further replies.

N.Grim

It's mainly becauseMicrosoft and Sony doesn't focus on video games business solely so it's more likely that they would rather to stick with their Playstation and Xbox brand names because they probably doesn't want the customers to be confused with their other products.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo is well known brand by itself. Hell, Nintendo logo is more likely to be everywhere as you see with their products, and people are more likely to acknowledge that when they see the logo. See those 4 pictures, and you would notice Nintendo logo being there.

Nintendo itself and Nintendo logo itself are the brand name for Nintendo. Honestly, I do think that most of customers are accustomed to see Nintendo having different names for the consoles because it's the way they would know that it's not same console as previous. That's probably why some people were confused about Wii U because they thought it wasn't new console.
I have always hated how Wii and Wii U were only "Wii" instead of "Nintendo Wii" like the DS/3DS

Qm7NSJ8.jpg

Schnozberry

The tech products you speak of are either annual or iterations. Nintendo isn't going to reveal NX a week before launch. January isn't completely ruled out, but I'm just stating what's likely. February is unlikely because they'll likely want to do it before an earnings release so they can add it to their forecasts. If thinking that they're going to pull an Apple for a product with a 5-year lifespan which sells based on software comforts you, then by all means think that way. However, in the real world, there are key differences between the iPhone and a Nintendo console which result in the console needing a longer lead time.

They aren't reinventing the wheel. They are releasing a handheld gaming device that connects to your television. People are already accustomed to this functionality in other devices they own. Nintendo has stated over and over again that their biggest mistakes with the Wii U were the long period in between announcement and release, and their failure to convey the advantages of the concept. It follows logically that they would be looking to compress their release timetable and pursue concepts that aren't so difficult to explain, right?

So, a couple of months is all you need. They can have a full information blowout and then go on a long press tour leading into release. You can have materials and demo hardware sitting at retailers and the supply chain already in motion for the day of the announcement, if that's what they want. People need to stop overthinking this. They are selling games, not trying to educate the mass market about abstract artwork.

Guevara

Guys, I was able to confirm through independent trusted sources that the month of October, comes after the month of September.

And not just this year.... every year.......

I don't think I have to explain what this means.... but if the NX isn't revealed in September, then maybe it will be revealed in October. There are only 3 days left in September.... think about it.....

Guys, I was able to confirm through independent trusted sources that the month of October, comes after the month of September.

I don't think I have to explain what this means.... but if the NX isn't revealed in September, then maybe it will be revealed in October. There are only 3 days left in September.... think about it.....

Have the Gregorian mods verified your source?

I'm more partial to the Julian mods to be honest...

TunaLover

I think you are just jumping to conclusions there, not because it happens this year needs to happen next year.

udivision

The number of days in February changes sometimes. Isn't it possible that September can get by with having only 28 days like February does?

Vena

The only thing that has me concerned about a delay once again is ShockingAlberto's vague comments.

Having caught up on the recent discussions, seems like this 10m (if true) may be getting production limited/stalled and we may be seeing a delay past March? Curious.

I guess we'll probably hear more on in the coming days if it pans out, since it seems to have started just before the past weekend.

Malus

Haha I'm playing some Wii U games I haven't played and DQVII for the 3DS. Enjoy TMS, I really liked the game.

It's at medium availability so we'll see when it rolls around. In the mean time I got Darksiders 2 shipped. Maybe it'll scratch the Zelda itch.

Having caught up on the recent discussions, seems like this 10m (if true) may be getting production limited/stalled and we may be seeing a delay past March? Curious.

I guess we'll probably hear more on in the coming days if it pans out, since it seems to have started just before the past weekend.

If it gets delayed I'm buying a 2DS.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The longer this thing gets delayed (if it's actually delayed) the less cutting edge mobile it'll be and even worse on the console side of the hybrid.

If it does get delayed till say Fall of 2017 this thing better be on point price wise.

Vena

If it gets delayed I'm buying a 2DS.

Would be curious, since a delay definitely puts them in a bind for software after Pokemon. The WiiU is comatose, and the 3DS is winding down as it reaches normal EoL.

Given what SA said, and this report being potentially valid, we may see it launch but with very tight availability, that or production is completely fucked because of the SoC or something.

Who knows!

Would be curious, since a delay definitely puts them in a bind for software after Pokemon. The WiiU is comatose, and the 3DS is winding down as it reaches normal EoL.

Given what SA said, and this report being potentially valid, we may see it launch but with very tight availability, that or production is completely fucked because of the SoC or something.

Who knows!

Mmm. They did announced mario maker 3ds for Dec, pooches wooly world for Feb, and mario superstard/pikmin for beyond, with ever oasis hanging around somewhere. It's not a ton and a few wii u port overs, but I suppose that would keep em going. And obviously zelda, I assume that would not receive a delay on wii u even if nx had to eat one. Level 5 have some decent tly high profile stuff planned for next year on 3ds too.

Definitely not optimal, but they could drag things out til after the summer with some of that.

Who knows!

Between the OP and what SA said I still am not understanding how 10 million for the first year is "very tight availability" unless of course 3-4 million aren't available for launch day. It seems to fall in line with past Nintendo launches...

Also some people have brought up the possibility of Foxconn not manufacturing 100% of the NX's- aka other factories developing NX units as well- so that could allow for more than 10 million for the first year.

Either way as mentioned many times, Digitimes is very unreliable so they could've easily just made up this 10 million number. As for what SA said, I guess we can't know what he's referring to unless he elaborates.

I guarantee you they would do exactly this.

Sure, it's possible. I'm making some rough assumptions not planting any poles. If zelda is scheduled for march right now alongside amiibo etc and nx can't make that, sure, maybe they delay the wii u version maybe they don't. I got no idea haha.

Sure, it's possible. I'm making some rough assumptions not planting any poles. If zelda is scheduled for march right now alongside amiibo etc and nx can't make that, sure, maybe they delay the wii u version maybe they don't. I got no idea haha.

Zelda is scheduled officially for "2017" and that is likely the case simply because it covers their bases if the NX is delayed. If Zelda were scheduled for March 2017 for Wii U and NX, and the NX is delayed, Nintendo would assuredly delay the Wii U version as well and that would look really really bad for them.

Ashby

Zelda is scheduled officially for "2017" and that is likely the case simply because it covers their bases if the NX is delayed. If Zelda were scheduled for March 2017 for Wii U and NX, and the NX is delayed, Nintendo would assuredly delay the Wii U version as well and that would look really really bad for them.

This is why the prospect of a delay really concerns me. I could wait no problem for Fall 2017 for the NX but I'd be bummed as hell because it would take Zelda with it.

Sure I was responding to the idea of software issues by taking a look at what they could potentially do about it, and what they and some others have cooking for current hardware. I don't disagree, like I said, just a guess at some stuff they could put out. I'll be buying it on nx regardless so I'm not writing what I'd like to happen or anything.

This is why the prospect of a delay really concerns me. I could wait no problem for Fall 2017 for the NX but I'd be bummed as hell because it would take Zelda with it.

Agreed and:

Sure I was responding to the idea of software issues by taking a look at what they could potentially do about it, and what they and some others have cooking for current hardware. I don't disagree, like I said, just a guess at some stuff they could put out. I'll be buying it on nx regardless so I'm not writing what I'd like to happen or anything.

I agree, I wasn't really trying to be accusing about it, just clarifying. And I totally agree that if the NX is delayed then Nintendo will likely have next to nothing for next year, which is both A) very concerning and B) a big reason why I don't think the NX will be delayed.

I would actually bet that the NX could have been ready for launch this November but Nintendo is trying to strategically launch it in order to transition as smoothly as possible from the Wii U/3DS gen to the NX gen. Along with preparing more software for it.

It would be very shocking to me if the NX gets delayed to the end of 2017, and if they have no products launching throughout 2017 (besides a handful of smartphone games) then there will be hell to pay with their investors.

Edit:
\/ This makes me quite dizzy

Malus

Can someone fill me in on what SA said? Is he verified or...?

Didn't mean to drive-by, I posted and then went to work.

There's multiple people involved in something I have heard recently so I don't want to talk about it until they feel like talking about it. But 10 million annually is real low and jives with some stuff I have heard about manufacturing recently (i.e. Not really great news).

Like I said, interesting. If it's true, March would be surprising.

I assume he's verified or he wouldn't be able to repeatedly tease rumors here.

maxcriden

Not at all meaning to pile on, just my two cents-- regarding Zelda, as a (or the) flagship launch game for NX, I don't believe there is even a small chance Wii U will get it first. They will be positioning it as an NX game foremost similar to the Wii and GCN situation. The only way Zelda comes to Wii U first is if NX doesn't come out next year at all, I suppose. But that seems highly improbable.

Vena

Mmm. They did announced mario maker 3ds for Dec, pooches wooly world for Feb, and mario superstard/pikmin for beyond, with ever oasis hanging around somewhere. It's not a ton and a few wii u port overs, but I suppose that would keep em going. And obviously zelda, I assume that would not receive a delay on wii u even if nx had to eat one. Level 5 have some decent tly high profile stuff planned for next year on 3ds too.

Definitely not optimal, but they could drag things out til after the summer with some of that.

None of these sans maybe some good packaged deal with 2DS and Mario Maker, are going to move meaningful amounts of software. The system is also winding down in the sense that the audience is eroding.

maxcriden

I assume he's verified or he wouldn't be able to repeatedly tease rumors here.

I can say at the least that I've posted previously that he shared near identical NX info with me the day before the Eurogamer leak. Additionally, he has previously shared information with me about another game that ended up being true, in that case long before release.

I agree, I wasn't really trying to be accusing about it, just clarifying. And I totally agree that if the NX is delayed then Nintendo will likely have next to nothing for next year, which is both A) very concerning and B) a big reason why I don't think the NX will be delayed.

I would actually bet that the NX could have been ready for launch this November but Nintendo is trying to strategically launch it in order to transition as smoothly as possible from the Wii U/3DS gen to the NX gen. Along with preparing more software for it.

It would be very shocking to me if the NX gets delayed to the end of 2017, and if they have no products launching throughout 2017 (besides a handful of smartphone games) then there will be hell to pay with their investors.

Hahaha. That there is the low chaos ending to nx: the game, but you're not wrong. I definitely Hooe and probably believe the quietness is purely because they are getting the software in the best state and it's all hands on deck til whatever point they determined around e3 time when they looked at progress that would be. I don't think I quite agree that they have nothing and third parties have nothing less for 3ds but I also don't disagree that it's the kind of lineup you hope to have when the 3d sis shifting into the cheaper entry level device beside nx, it wouldn't be a great look for them, towards investors or towards us. I mean imagine how impatient people would be then haha

None of these sans maybe some good packaged deal with 2DS and Mario Maker, are going to move meaningful amounts of software. The system is also winding down in the sense that the audience is eroding.

I don't think your wrong ha. Pleas take the post in the context it was given and not as an argument that they have a powerful lineup next year without new hardware. Really just going through stuff because why not

MacTag

Banned
I have always hated how Wii and Wii U were only "Wii" instead of "Nintendo Wii" like the DS/3DS
That was done to distance Wii from the previously declining Nintendo console brand (Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo 64). Sega did something similar with Dreamcast, which officially dropped their company name after all their previous consoles (Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn) had carried it.

Oddly Nintendo's handhelds reversed course at the same time. The Game Boy line had never carried the carried the company name while DS focused on it.

the only clue I would think of that Nintendo had a pre-TGS plan is Platinum Games showing off Bayo2 gameplay on a Twitch TGS stage (the game is 2 years old)

but it could just have been coincidence and the fan in me would like to believe Bayo3 is part of the software Nintendo would like to show off NX with

so I imagine Nintendo shows off NX with software a few days before TGS and Platinum gets to show Bayonetta 3 on a twitch stream a few days later

Nintendo delays NX reveal and Platinum Games shows off one of the hardest fights in Bayonetta 2

Roo

I fear for some of you guys health. Seriously though can we just ban any nx related threads from being made until actual announcement from Nintendo or they announce the direct. This is depressing to see you guys guessing.
You're free to not visit these threads at all until said announcement is made.

Vena

I wish they would just give us something. Just a crumb. An itty bitty crumb of something to nibble while we wait.

Its been four days since the swirl of "bad news" started, so we should be hearing some tidbits soon either more from SA, Emily, or if some sort of publication comes forth with their info in an article. These things don't sit for long on the internet before seeing the light of day one way or another.

Strange to see this discrepancy between he and Emily about production

Unless she's made a more recent tweet, she had a "bad news" day on Friday, so it could be related.

Its been four days since the swirl of "bad news" started, so we should be hearing some tidbits soon either more from SA, Emily, or if some sort of publication comes forth with their info in an article. These things don't sit for long on the internet before seeing the light of day one way or another.

Unless she's made a more recent tweet, she had a "bad news" day on Friday, so it could be related.

She already confirmed that tweet had zero to do with NX.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

The "bad news" was before she said the Digitimes article "corroborated" what she said in her latest update to the article (including the console being well in time for March), and she clarified it was completely unrelated.

Try again, Vena :p

I still don't see how 10 million annually as a pre-launch estimate is "real low" as he called it. He might be seeing corroboration with his info that isn't really there.

Also again, Digitimes isn't the best source.

I still don't see how 10 million annually as a pre-launch estimate is "real low" as he called it. He might be seeing corroboration with his info that isn't really there.

Also again, Digitimes isn't the best source.

It's not "10 million NX units will be produced annually."

It's "annual production of Nintendo NX is estimated at 9.5-10 million units."

That's an important difference. The former connotes that 10 million units will be produced each year. The latter connotes that estimates for the year are 10 million units.

If NX can only ship 10 million units each year, I'd agree that it's not in good shape. But 10 million is fine for the first year as long as it's able to grow along a healthy curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom