• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigiTimes: Foxconn trialing production of NX, ~10m units expected annually

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I've gotten so lost in the rumor and speculation I'm having a hard time remembering...did Nintendo explicitly say there were going to talk about NX by the end of the year or simply that it will release in March?
nxkuu14.png

We do not plan to show the NX at the E3 show in Los Angeles in June. We will introduce the NX at another time later this year.
Our E3 experience will focus on the latest title in The Legend of Zelda series. We have already released The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD for Wii U and Hyrule Warriors Legends for Nintendo 3DS this year. Thirty years have passed since the release of the first title in The Legend of Zelda series, and we have even more in store for the future.
Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/160428/04.html

Posting just for context.

Trial production? Does this mean some of the units made in those runs will be used for the announcement montages? So, mid October reveal?
For the 3DS reveal and E3 demos, Nintendo put together the demo units all by hand, they didn't wait for the test production units.

EVH

Rösti;217845560 said:
I don't remember doing that.

In all seriousness, I'm just awaiting Nintendo's FY 2016 Corporate Management Policy Briefing / Second Quarter Financial Results Briefing tentatively scheduled for October 27. A reveal of NX may or may not happen prior to that, but I am confident they will talk about NX during the briefing. Also, there may be a news conference on October 26 in conjunction with the earnings release. That NX will be releasing in 2017 was announced during an earnings release news conference.

They will probably talk about NX to the investors but in a different way. We probably get the reveal a week or two before the briefing.

Also, there were rumors about Foxconn already starting production of NX a month ago and was confused by a new PS portable device but later just accepted that it was NX test production. So probably that would mean that Nintendo is ready for revealing this and the news this thread is talking about is another controlled leak, which probably ShockingAlberto guesses.

Peltz

For the 3DS reveal and E3 demos, Nintendo put together the demo units all by hand, they didn't wait for the test production units.
But this close to release, chances are, they will want to show full production units. I have a feeling we will learn everything about the NX at the same time:

Concept,
Price,
Launch lineup,
Final packaging,
Etc.

Usually these different things are shared in two or so different presentations. I think this time it will just be one big blowout event, along with small tidbits of new info throughout the months leading up to the launch.

But this close to release, chances are, they will want to show full production units. I have a feeling we will learn everything about the NX at the same time:

Concept,
Price,
Launch lineup,
Final packaging,
Etc.

Usually these different things are shared in two or so different presentations. I think this time it will just be one big blowout event, along with small tidbits of new info throughout the months leading up to the launch.

I agree with this. And, unlike the 3DS and Wii U, if the software lineup is pretty good, we could be in for a direct a month focused on a game. Then it constantly puts NX back into the mindshare until launch... Couldn't do that with Pilotwings Resort...

MuchoMalo

Banned
Scenario A: NX has already been in trial production and Digitimes is making up shit.

Scenario B: NX is nowhere near trial production and Digitimes is making up shit.

Scenario C: Digitimes is right...

Which one would give a confirmation of info that insiders would know?

A, oh who knows, I could be wrong.

It's A. If mass production is going to start in the November-December timeframe, trials would have been started at least as early as August.There's also the fact that they're just reporting now that PS4 Pro is in production, when Sony would be arranging shipments by now.

I'm betting the trial units will be used for public demos in Gamestops, Malls, Best Buys, etc. around the holiday season. For more exposure.

Edit:

It's A. If mass production is going to start in the November-December timeframe, trials would have been started at least as early as August.There's also the fact that they're just reporting now that PS4 Pro is in production, when Sony would be arranging shipments by now.

The fact that he's now silent makes me think his post was actually suggesting a new leak is coming very shortly, probably from Foxconn.

Flare

The ride never stops. Maybe I'll actually be a little disappointed after the NX is finally revealed.
Hopefully not.

Already at the test run phase. They will probably start stockpiling from November/December to February. That means we should probably expect an announcement soon or you may end up with a production run leak before anything official is released.

Concept,
Price,
Launch lineup,
Final packaging,
Etc.

That could do some of that with another event in January and a preorder push to March.

DonShula

If this is true, I'm off the #teamdelay bandwagon.

And if 10M is true, and this thing hits on the heels of the NES Classic and Super Mario Run (i.e. the Nintendo Nostalgia Tour for Casuals 2016) then I will preorder.

If Alberto knows something then he needs to tell me before I lose my mind!

i lost it a long time ago

Also notice how Nate Drake doesn't post at all in NX topics? I've seen him in another topic that was unrelated to NX. I think him not saying anything is speaking volumes.

maxcriden

I've gotten so lost in the rumor and speculation I'm having a hard time remembering...did Nintendo explicitly say there were going to talk about NX by the end of the year or simply that it will release in March?

In addition to what everyone else wrote, there was also the Nintendo of Canada individual who said more information on NX will be coming this Fall.

Exile20

So launch is in MarchPossibly 6 months away.

They still have time I guess but the problem is we are in the holiday season so does nintendo talk about it before or after xmas?

If this is true, I'm off the #teamdelay bandwagon.

And if 10M is true, and this thing hits on the heels of the NES Classic and Super Mario Run (i.e. the Nintendo Nostalgia Tour for Casuals 2016) then I will preorder.

For all the shit Ninty gets on the regular, I feel like they have a pretty solid strategy here. Lube up the casuals with Pokémon Go, NES Classic, Super Mario Run, and then slip em the big one with a brand new NeXt Gen console while their brains are being flooded by nostalgic memberberries.

Plus Zelda BOTW.

For all the shit Ninty gets on the regular, I feel like they have a pretty solid strategy here. Lube up the casuals with Pokémon Go, NES Classic, Super Mario Run, and then slip em the big one with a brand new NeXt Gen console while their brains are being flooded by nostalgic memberberries.

Plus Zelda BOTW.

You have a way with words. But yes, I agree. People are recognizing Nintendo lately for sure.

Pinky

Banned

Plus Zelda BOTW.

image.php

Didn't mean to drive-by, I posted and then went to work.

There's multiple people involved in something I have heard recently so I don't want to talk about it until they feel like talking about it. But 10 million annually is real low and jives with some stuff I have heard about manufacturing recently (i.e. Not really great news).

Like I said, interesting. If it's true, March would be surprising.

GDGF

Soothsayer

Plus Zelda BOTW.

They used a similar strategy prior to the release of the DS with their "Who Are You?" ad campaign. Worked pretty damn well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-WIxW-2oQw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj9tGkZR5vs

I still think it's one of their best modern marketing campaigns. Right behind "Wii Would Like To Play".

SA saying it's interesting to get info of this now, and Emily Rogers talking of bad news before the weekend... NX delayed, maybe? Something's changed?

Either that or Emily's tweet was about something else and SA is just surprised at the timing.

udivision

There's multiple people involved in something I have heard recently so I don't want to talk about it until they feel like talking about it. But 10 million annually is real low and jives with some stuff I have heard about manufacturing recently (i.e. Not really great news).

I apologize on behalf of the snarkers.

This is interesting indeed...

deleted

March would be surprising in a positive way? You don't have to go into specifics, but did you hear about problems that will probably push back the targeted march release date?

10 million a year would be, what, 50 million in a generation assuming 100% sellthrough? That's not great.

If someone has a figure of 10 million annually, then I assume they can only be referring to the current plan, specifically for the first year. Nintendo can (and will) revise their manufacturing orders based on sales data as they always do.

Übermatik;217852193 said:
SA saying it's interesting to get info of this now, and Emily Rogers talking of bad news before the weekend... NX delayed, maybe? Something's changed?

Either that or Emily's tweet was about something else and SA is just surprised at the timing.
Bad news? Didn't heard about that...

Edit: I just read the tweet. One should not overanalyse it.

BY2K

Membero Americo

?

Starting production now, they have plenty of time to make enough units for launch.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
10 million a year would be, what, 50 million in a generation assuming 100% sellthrough? That's not great.

That's more or less the yearly average for 3ds. Sounds like a healthy assumption. With Wii U they overestimated and that created them some big troubles. In short, better to have shortages than to have a big unsold stockpile and returns. I assume it depends a lot also on what the retailers estimate to order. You can't produce if there is no demand.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

This sucks. Manufacturing issues would be a colossal problem at this point. However, as BY2K says, 6 months is plenty of time for manufacturing for launch.

On a side note, I'm stunned the AMD Twitter crowd isn't going "See, only 10 million for this device means there is another one coming, too!"

Thraktor

Ten million for the first year would be, though. Sales usually peak in years 2-3, and I don't think even the Wii crossed 10m in its first 12 months on the market.

Edit: Checking Nintendo's financial reports, it seems I'm off by a bit. Wii sold 13m units up to the end of Sept 2007 (~10 and a half months), so was probably around 14-15m for the first 12 months. The DS had sold 8.8m over a similar timeframe, so probably only just scraped past 10m in the first year. In any case, my point still stands that if they actually sell 10 million units in the first year they should expect to sell a lot more than 50m over the device's life.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ten million for the first year would be, though. Sales usually peak in years 2-3, and I don't think even the Wii crossed 10m in its first 12 months on the market.

Right.

I didn't see Emily say anything about "bad news." Anybody have a screenshot of this?

Right.

I didn't see Emily say anything about "bad news." Anybody have a screenshot of this?

I'm in class so I can't do a ton, but this is the tweet verbatim. Posted 9/22 at 11:50 PM:

"Oof...I hate hearing potentially bad news right before the weekend. I really need to get some sleep, lol."

Kenpa64

This can't take any longer. We will know about the system un two weeks at most, when they have their plans tied.

On another plane, I just dreamed about the NX, this is getting into my mind.

Isotope

What did she say? Could you pm it me if you don't think it relevant here, thanks

Right.

Word for word the tweet (too lazy to screenshot it):

"Oof...I hate hearing potentially bad news right before the weekend. I really need to get some sleep, lol."

That's it. Probably not wise to overanalyze it.

Ok what we have to remember here is that with the WiiU Nintendo ordered way, way WAY too many WiiUs in the first round of production

Every WiiU still being sold I believe was manufactured that first year. They really screwed up with their initial estimations and it cost them a lot of money. It's also why we haven't gotten any different colors or SKUs or anything, or price drops.

I think the 10m in the first year is Nintendo just being more conservative so they don't shoot themselves in the foot again.

jonno394

delay delay delay

Hmm. Very easy to come to that conclusion now that shocking Alberto has chimed in. Other way to look at it is that the manufacturing process is seemingly more complex and costly than planned and thus lower yields and rrp will be higher than expected.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm in class so I can't do a ton, but this is the tweet verbatim. Posted 9/22 at 11:50 PM:

We don't even know if those things are related, geez.

Well after reading this it sounds like there's no worries. It's only the first year so it's understandable. Things can change after that.

Word for word the tweet (too lazy to screenshot it):

That's it. Probably not wise to overanalyze it.

Yeah, I don't see how this is video game related at all...she may have just found out they change her appointment for her cat with the doctor on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom