• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigiTimes Rumor: New version of Xbox One coming early next year?

Bossofman

Neo Member
Alright i will compromise, keep the ram setup as to not screw up the current games, just Double the GPU, how hard can that be to do, and it doesn't 'break' anything? Crossfire that Bitch!

Hahaha! Damn, that Michael Jackson GIF slays me every time.

mj-laughing.gif

weevles

Interesting rumor. Probably not true.

I doubt if it was true that it has anything to do with a Kinect-less SKU.

At least, I can't imagine why you'd need new hardware just to take an accessory out of the bunduru.

RulkezX

They are not going to drop Kinect.... It's the single feature maiming it worthwhile right now.

The people calling for it to be taken out are the same kind of people who make a weekly " should Nintendo drop the Gamepad " thread.

Dazzler

I wonder when the point will arrive in Redmond when they realise that a large constituency of gamers just do not want a Kinect

I really want a Bone, but it's a point of principle at this stage

Kanokare

They are not going to drop Kinect.... It's the single feature maiming it worthwhile right now.

The people calling for it to be taken out are the same kind of people who make a weekly " should Nintendo drop the Gamepad " thread.

Yeah I see it still carrying a Kinect which I agree it should stay! I'm serious when I said it'll be the original plan for Xbox One though. They'll keep it digital and shareable somehow.

No Love

Banned
Guys really. Why would they ask for a new thing to be manufactured from the manufacturer if they are just taking a thing out of the box

really

Can we stop shitting on xbone for 2 seconds and get over the kinectsuxor thing

I don't think it's shitting on it. For all we know, Microsoft feels like they have to respond to Sony's pricepoint and decided to do it after launch.

At this point it's speculation but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Serious, it's going to be a LONG generation, and they are already falling behind, even if it is a $100 upgrade for current owners, i am sure a lot will bite.

Already falling behind? That's pushing it. Sony might be doing stellar but I think it's unfair to say Microsoft is already falling behind when their console just launched TODAY. Come on now.

Bossofman

Neo Member
I don't think it's shitting on it. For all we know, Microsoft feels like they have to respond to Sony's pricepoint and decided to do it after launch.

At this point it's speculation but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Already falling behind? That's pushing it. Sony might be doing stellar but I think it's unfair to say Microsoft is already falling behind when their console just launched TODAY. Come on now.

Performance Wise, I have no idea about sales

microsoft will never release a kinectless SKU, it defeats the whole purpose of their new OS which is designed less for controllers and more for voice. I will bet a tag on it

VillageBC

I kind of wonder how aggressive Sony will be with price cuts if MS cuts price/cheaper sku. Do they intend to keep the price advantage for as long as they possibly can. If MS does produce a Kinectless SKU that matches PS4 price. Will Sony counter w/ a $25-$50 cut?

It shall be fun to watch.

Lebon14

People were going "LOL WTF 2DS! So unnecessary!" but, when it's the X0, re-releasing a new version months after the original release, it's all okay. *applies hand to face slowly*

No Love

Banned
Performance Wise, I have no idea about sales

The average consumer doesn't know about the (big IMO) performance gap. So Microsoft isn't 'falling behind' in the public's eyes. They won't have to worry about that for another couple years, when Sony's games start looking drastically better.

Imagine a $450 Titanfall bundle without Kinect, that would be huge. It makes a lot of sense too.

Actually... no it doesn't. Titanfall is worthless without XBL Gold.

Edit:

I would be highly interested in a cheaper "gameless" media box with Kinect 2. I want the multimedia capabilities. Don't want the X1 games.

SparkTR

What the hell is the "non-gaming" version everyone keeps talking about?

An ultra cheap XBO that's primary use is for media and Kinect, there was a thread about it a few days ago. Apparently it's still coming, and they expect it to dramatically outsell the gaming XBO.

Pain

Banned
Can anyone believe this guy any more after his track record on GAF so far?
Well its a pretty straightforward answer. "NO"
Love it or hate it, Kinect is an integral part of Xbox One and its what differentiates it from the PS4.

Yeah I see it still carrying a Kinect which I agree it should stay! I'm serious when I said it'll be the original plan for Xbox One though. They'll keep it digital and shareable somehow.
Still believe that family share plan? Those were nothing but glorified demos...

I kind of wonder how aggressive Sony will be with price cuts if MS cuts price/cheaper sku. Do they intend to keep the price advantage for as long as they possibly can. If MS does produce a Kinectless SKU that matches PS4 price. Will Sony counter w/ a $25-$50 cut?

It shall be fun to watch.
If Sony is leading in sales, there'll be no need to react so quickly. But yeah, Sony probably has a plan in place to maintain that price advantage.

teiresias

Why would simply removing Kinect from a SKU require someone in the supply-chain to provide this information? Even if a Kinect-less SKU were to come the actual manufacturing of the console itself wouldn't be any different, so the fact that this is a rumor from someone in the supply-chain itself indicates it's actually a remodel of the console itself (with or without a Kinect once it's packaged for sale).

Pain

Banned
An ultra cheap XBO that's primary use is for media and Kinect, there was a thread about it a few days ago. Apparently it's still coming, and they expect it to dramatically outsell the gaming XBO.
I doubt there is demand for an Xbox that can't play games. The Roku and Apple TV boxes don't even sell that well....what would make a more expensive Xbox branded version with everything locked behind the Live paywall any better?

javac

A game-less Xbox media thingy would be hurt more by the lack of Kinect since Kinect is mainly used for the non-gaming stuff in the first place. But expense is an issue.

I doubt there is demand for an Xbox that can't play games. The Roku and Apple TV boxes don't even sell that well....what would make a more expensive Xbox branded version with everything locked behind the Live paywall any better?

If there is a Live Paywall... no dice. If there isn't... I would be lining up day 1. I want the Kinect functionality. And so do lots of people I know. Voice commands, gesture controls, multitasking are desirable functions by a lot of people I know. But put that behind XBL gold and it's non-starter.

Sean*O

Sorry but the last thing MS employed posters on this forum have been is trustworthy. Usually they are just spinning if not flat out lying about their system 's technical prowess.

Just no way the PS4 will be that much more powerful than xbone, right?

8bitDevil

Banned
Cut the HDMI-in out, get rid of Kinect, cut the hard drive size in half or down to 320, release for $329 and watch them fly off the shelves next holiday.

I don't see any scenario happening where there is a significant hardware upgrade. It would be suicide for Microsoft to do that, with what will likely be millions of original Xbox Ones sold by the time it could see store shelves. That would be even more damaging to the brand than DRMgate, imo.

daman824

They would drop the price of the system before they drop kinect. And they definitely wouldn't release a kinectless sku early next year.

Maybe a new color or something for titanfall.

Top Bottom