• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dillon's Rolling Western Has So Much Untapped Potential As a Series

Da-Kid

There are currently two games in the series on the 3DS, they're pretty good but this series just hasn't tapped into how good it can be.

So basically you mine materials to trade and build up reinforcements so that you can defend against the Grocks. These creatures only come out at night, so during the day you grind for material and the real action starts at night. It's an Action, Tower Defense game. But there are some this it's doing wrong that ultimately make the games not as good as they could be. I'll get to that in a sec.

This game has an absolutely badass, cool looking protagonist... Dillon.
latest

Such a great design and that extends to his partners in the Last Ranger.
latest

Now one of the things this game suffers from is repetitiveness. Traveling, mining, and combat gets very repetitive because that's pretty much all you do. Here's the changes I'd make.

1. Mining should not be the same as combat.
In both games mining is the same exact process as combat which greatly adds to the repetition. The process for mining should be completely different from combat, that alone would help greatly. Maybe introduce a minigame with a pickaxe, and you can upgrade your pickaxe over time.

2. Combat refinement.
In Rolling Western you can roll into enemies, grind them, slash them, etc. There's even different items you can use. Basically, combat is fine, it just needs to be quicker. Last Rangers had your partners join you in combat. Instead of that, I rather they go themselves to fight enemies.

3. Towers and defenses are too expensive.
This is basically because of the day/night system. You basically never feel your defenses are strong enough to deal with the raids because there's barely enough time to get materials, sell them, and build reinforcements that are strong enough. Pretty much because they're so damn expensive. Longer day times or more days before a raid, more mines and materials need to be emplemented.

4. Side quests need more substance.
There are side quests in Rolling Western, they're more needless distractions that really add nothing but to get you more money which doesn't seem worth with all the time you wasted on them not getting materials. They should matter and be more interactive. Also maybe reward you with cool perks to help with defenses.

5. More exploration and less empty world.
Now Rolling Western isn't a Open World game, but it does have large open areas to traverse in. Sadly there's barely anything to see. Most environments are barren and lifeless with barely any differences aesthetically, and geographically from other/previous areas. Dillon also can't jump while traversing the area. Just because it's set in the desert doesn't mean they can't get creative with the design. A desert can still be a desert and have tress, plants. Hell, you don't HAVE to only be in a desert, I know it's called a Western but don't limit the entire franchise because of that word.

Basically this game needs more NPCs actually in the area than just the town, and more collectibles you can fine to help your defenses, combat, and mining. Hell, maybe some hidden items that can reward you with a special tower you can only acquire that way.

Anyways, these are my ideas, I really don't want to see this series die and hope to see a sequel or soft reboot on the NS. Please Nintendo, this franchise has so much potential.

With Pushmo / Pullblox series receiving way more attention than it deserves (although the Wii U one was very nice), I'm a bit bitter we haven't yet seen new Hana Samurai, Dillon or Hydroventure games.

By the way, where the hell is that Kersploosh sequel?

TheMoon

I'd be totally down for a third game building on the cool foundation and addressing things such as what you mentioned there.

Dillon is rad.

I never played Dillon but I feel like a lot of Nintendo's original eShop IPs from the 3DS generation were suuuper underrated. Pushmo and Harmoknight were a ton of fun.

Dillon was the only one who got the AT treatment in Smash, right? Evidently someone at Ninty has some attachment to the guy.

Piscus

Completely agree, there is a lot that could be done and explored. I love the aesthetic, they just need to make some improvements to make the game more rewarding and fulfilling.

ChrisD

There are currently two games in the series on the 3DS, they're pretty good but this series just hasn't tapped into how good it can be.

2. Combat refinement.
In Rolling Western you can roll into enemies, grind them, slash them, etc. There's even different items you can use. Basically, combat is fine, it just needs to be quicker. Last Rangers had your partners join you in combat. Instead of that, I rather they go themselves to fight enemies.

Anyways, this are my ideas, I really don't want to see this series die and hope to see a sexual or soft reboot on the NS. Please Nintendo, this franchise has so much potential.

I know he grinds Grocks, but I don't think that warrants such a reboot!

TDLink

I love the character design but I feel the gameplay simply is too repetitive and not fun. I think if this franchise shifted to a different genre it has serious potential. Can't really go beyond these small eshop titles as long as it maintains the same gameplay.

Da-Kid

I never played Dillon but I feel like a lot of Nintendo's original eShop IPs from the 3DS generation were suuuper underrated. Pushmo and Harmoknight were a ton of fun.

Dillon was the only one who got the AT treatment in Smash, right? Evidently someone at Ninty has some attachment to the guy.
Yeah he got an Assist Trophy, and his main theme as music.

With Pushmo / Pullblox series receiving way more attention than it deserves (although the Wii U one was very nice), I'm a bit bitter we haven't yet seen new Hana Samurai, Dillon or Hydroventure games.

By the way, where the hell is that Kersploosh sequel?
Yeah Harmo Knight, and Sakura Samurai deserve sequels, not sure why they haven't gotten one, I thought they both did good in sales.

The music, graphics, and character were great.

The game was not.

In an alternate universe where the game was a full retail release (and actually fully developed) Dillon was a Smash 4 newcomer.

Corpekata

Banned
It at this point probably needs a genre shift. The world and characters are appealing, but not much of the gameplay.

Like how Steamworld appears to be hopping around genres.

Da-Kid

I know he grinds Grocks, but I don't think that warrants such a reboot!
Damn auto correct, fixed! Lmao.

I love the character design but I feel the gameplay simply is too repetitive and not fun. I think if this franchise shifted to a different genre it has serious potential. Can't really go beyond these small eshop titles as long as it maintains the same gameplay.
I just have out a pretty good list of how to keep it in the same genre and expand. What genre do you think it could go in?

Realeza

Banned
Is such an awesome character design that would work better in a platformer/shooting/action game as opposed to a tower defense game.

georly

It at this point probably needs a genre shift. The world and characters are appealing, but not much of the gameplay.

Like how Steamworld appears to be hopping around genres.

Agree entirely. This universe, this IP is fantastic, but a tower defense game where you have to 'run' from tower to tower isn't much fun imo. It'd be amazing as an rpg or an adventure game (hell, he even sounds like Link). They can even keep the town/defense upgrading thing as a major component/progression, but I'd like to see them get rid of wave-based tower defense stuff. But that's just me, maybe i'm off on this - but I see no harm in keeping the IP and using it for other genres.

Da-Kid

Is such an awesome character design that would work better in a platformer/shooting/action game as opposed to a tower defense game.
Platforming, yeah, Shooting... no. The game makes a point that Dillon doesn't use a gun because he's faster and more powerful than one.

His design is great. The engine and gameplay is cool too (you roll around like Gordon Link in a cell shaded western open world) but it's budget was limited to tower defense eShop games.
Needs a Switch sequel with more of a Zelda like overworld maybe focusing more on bounty hunting combat than puzzle solving

GoaThief

This game has an absolutely badass, cool looking protagonist... Dillon.
latest
Your tastes definitely differ to mine as I don't like the design of that character at all. That said I'm not really familiar with the series, what makes him so appealing because I'm not seeing it visually?

TDLink

I just have out a pretty good list of how to keep it in the same genre and expand. What genre do you think it could go in?

Three options I could see:

• Character action
  • Open World RPG/Adventure
  • Platformer

Probably would prefer one of the first two.

Aldric

The world, art direction, music, characters and tone were all great but l also enjoyed the gameplay. l thought it was super satisfying to roll across the map at high speed, using the stylus to "charge" Dillon's dash like some sort of spring propelled toy. l loved the loop of collecting resources, learning the map and the structure of the level, what routes your enemies will take, and then preparing your defense accordingly. l thought the combat was also more complex than it may seem at first, with a huge variety of enemies that had to be tackled in different ways, new abilities to unlock, and overall a very tense experience due to the real time nature of the encounters. lt's my favorite game among Nintendo's eshop experimental ips and l hope they don't abandon the franchise or turn it into yet another generic sidescroller.

Da-Kid

His design is great. The engine and gameplay is cool too (you roll around like Gordon Link in a cell shaded western open world) but it's budget was limited to tower defense eShop games.
Needs a Switch sequel with more of a Zelda like overworld maybe focusing more on bounty hunting combat than puzzle solving
The funny thing is Rolling Western has some Zelda inspired things.
https://youtu.be/5PSzvITwyzA

I like your ideas.

WillyFive

A great deal of Nintendo's new IPs from last gen would have become a lot bigger if they'd been released at the start of the generation and with a physical release.

Penguin

Yeah, I think we focus on a lot of Wii U ports, but some good 3DS titles that may benefit from being on a console... I'm really just port-begging for Steel Diver Subwars 2

Nanashrew

Banned
Tbh, I don't want it to be a tower defense game. I want the works, I want it to be an adventure game. I've dreamed of a big spaghetti western game from Nintendo for a long time and this series could be it. But it's held back by the tower defense style that's so very niche and won't allow for bigger budgets.

The series deserve so much more.

Yeah Harmo Knight, and Sakura Samurai deserve sequels, not sure why they haven't gotten one, I thought they both did good in sales.

I suspect sales of Dillions and the other eshop original IPs that actually got sequels are partially responsible. I can't remember why I think this, but I seem to remember that the sales for Dillion 2 were far far smaller than the first game, which may have put a hault to other sequels for the original IPs.

I made it halfway through the first game but man it got way too tricky and seemed heavily reliant on knowing exactly what tower types to put where to stop specific enemies, that and in general the formula got stale a bit too quick.

Love, love, love the character design though and especially the protagonist, it's almost criminal to not try repackaging this as a stronger adventure title.

Da-Kid

I think Nintendo should put work into this IP and make it a Open World Adventure action game game not exactly like Zelda though. I would like my ideas implemented but maybe not as focused when it comes to tower defense.

I want it to be open world in a similar way Sly Cooper was. Like 3 Worlds or towns, each about as big as OoT entire overworld.
And the series is small enough to completely rehaul it and not piss people off and be a big AAA title for the Switch.

Dillon is such a cool character, and his world is so neat... but yeah, the gameplay was sorta lacking, at least in the first. Very repetitive, and I couldn't help but wish I could play with Dillon in a different sort of game. Perhaps a proper Zelda-like, or just a more open action adventure. Focus hard on how good it feels to move Dillon, and give him more moves to run with that - then focus on fights that you do while moving, fighting alongside Grock trains and down large ramps, not dissimilar to when you get to fight while on a boat or on Epona in Zelda. Could be all sorts of rad.

Even just some refinement on the tower defense gameplay, and possibly making it part of a larger exploration-driven game, would be really cool.

Top Bottom