• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Director Neill Blomkamp of District 9, Chappie and Elysium is crowdfunding his next movie: FIREBASE!!

ultrazilla

Gold Member
So I'm a big fan of Neill's work/vision/movies. His recent shorts, including the first unveil of the Firebase universe can be found here:
Oats Studios Official Youtube Channel

Oats Studios Crowd Fund FIREBASE pitch video

Original FIREBASE short film

DW1WYVdVAAA8XH3.jpg

No stupid tier rewards. Backer money will be put on the SCREEN, not used to have to produce trinkets.

Hopefully he'll get some decent funding for a kick ass movie. Since Oats Studios does almost all their own special effects in house with help from special effects company Studio ADI this will be something special!

Please help support if you can, especially the experiment of having a crowd funded "movie studio" producing amazing short and feature length films! Thanks!

Last edited:

JDB

Banned
I've liked their shorts so far, but I don't see how this is going to get any significant amount of money. The announcement video is sitting at a measly 48k views.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I've liked their shorts so far, but I don't see how this is going to get any significant amount of money. The announcement video is sitting at a measly 48k views.

I agree. That's why I'm trying to help spread the word! I know he did a big Twitch stream yesterday(not sure how many tuned in...I was away with personal business).

If anyone likes his films/shorts and wants to see a talented filmmaker "break the mold" of working under a "Hollywood atmosphere", this is your chance to make a difference! Cheers!

VAL0R

Banned
I'd still love to see his take on a Halo film.

So would I. I believe he still expressed willingness after the whole thing fell apart. Why doesn't MS get a hold of Oats Studio and throw some cash at them for an epic sci-fi movie. Can't believe a Halo film hasn't happened yet.

Haven't all his movies since District 9 bombed?

Movie directors often have a very short leash. A string of hits, then one bomb and they are done.

You are allowed to make one box office failure but not two, at least not in a row. That said I think he is damn talented but he needs another writing partner to complete his ideas.

Kadayi

Banned
You are allowed to make one box office failure but not two, at least not in a row. That said I think he is damn talented but he needs another writing partner to complete his ideas.

Honestly. his visual stuff is great, but his writing is pretty terrible. District 9 was so different at the time visually that people didn't really register how heavy-handed the writing was but it's hard to miss in both Chappie and Elysium. I honestly think he should just stick to directing and leave narrative to better more capable people.

District 9 was great, Elysium was alright, but Chappie was a bit meh. But Oats are putting out some amazing shorts on youtube, so I wish them best of luck. The Firebase short seems interesting enough that I'd like to see a full feature length movie. It's like a weird mixture between Apocalypse Now and Predator.

I just find it kinda weird that they don't show you how much money they have raised so far (or maybe I haven't looked well enough).

Top Bottom