• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DirectX 11.2 revealed

onQ123

Found this in a video online.

DirectX+11.2.jpg

Eusis

I'm not QUICKLY getting an answer with google, but is 11.2 accessible to Desktop applications or only those sold through the Windows Store? That'd affect how I feel about that exclusivity since it didn't seem to change since this thread was started.

Miguel81

People don't even bother to have a closer look at Windows 8.1, which in my opinion is a vast improvement.
Some great improvements there.

It's a nice improvement, definitely. Much easier to get around, and you can boot directly to desktop. I make all my Start screen tiles small which saves space.

SPDIF

I'm not QUICKLY getting an answer with google, but is 11.2 accessible to Desktop applications or only those sold through the Windows Store? That'd affect how I feel about that exclusivity since it didn't seem to change since this thread was started.

Of course.

Eusis

have to say, this takes a back seat to mantle and steam os. who is taking advantage of dx 11.2? or 11.1?
Don't think AMD is any time soon, when I googled I got a story in August about how 7xxx cards weren't supporting it, and half of their 2xx line seems to be rebranded 7xxx cards.
Of course.
Alright, just wanted to be sure. That's really the difference to me for whether it's bullshit or "figures."

Figures. Microsoft always has been forcing people to upgrade to their "new OS". Many companies are still on XP. Good luck.

First, companies don't care about the next version of DirectX. Second, any companies still on XP are a huge security risk and are dumb. Third, Microsoft is forcing people to upgrade so they can pay to advance their OS and other software, like DirectX...they can't rely on hardware.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Windows 8 is kind of noticeably superior for gaming, most of the hatred on that front is just a combination of Gaben's comments a while back and the general W8 backlash. I will say that 8.1 /in it's current state/ is rather unoptimized compared to 8. I tried the preview yesterday, and went from around 40 fps in Battlefield 3 on high (with Windows 8) to 27-35 on low (with the 8.1 preview).

Funny cause on 3 machines I've used the os it all produced dpc latency problems that weren't on them when I had 7. Sorry when windows 8 fixes the stuttering problems that both gamers and audio users bitch about I might take ms more seriously about windows 8 being good in other areas. Outside of better cpu management and a better network stack I don't see any real reason to go up when things are just fine now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't get it (tiled resources). Is it literally just like virtual memory? If so, how do you deal with having to bring stuff in for slower storage (main ram or even HDD)? Would game developers be fine with that, or would they prefer to be able to control how the GPU memory is used themselves?

Top Bottom