• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirty Bomb open beta thread

Varvor

Yep.

MrBvmGo.png

http://forums.dirtybomb.nexon.net/discussion/2093/guide-who-are-the-unreleased-mercs

Yeah, they're going to add steam trading functionality for all the loadout cards. There's also a really good chance they're adding the ability to trade gold cards up to Cobalt next week.

I gotta ask though, which cards did you get? I think there's only two cobalts per merc, and most of them are the good loadouts.

I got Skyhammer with BR-16....i dont recall perks of top of my head but they are solid. The problem is the BR-16....i prefer M4A1 and to lesser extent Timik-47. Thankfuly i do have golden Timik-47 and bronze M4A1.

My standard loadout is:

Sawbonez w/Blishlock Scoped
Skyhammer w/Timik-47
Nader w/Hochfir (swap to Vassilli sometimes).

I ultimetly play support role one way or another with Nader/Vassilli being a curve ball depending on mood/play out.

Do Timik/M4A1/Hochfir come with scopes as well? While its not most advised play style, long/mid range does benifit me with scope.

antitrop

Played 4 hours yesterday and was having a great time, until I got into a server with a guy who was absolutely dominating with an unlocked Merc and a lucky loadout card. I would imagine you would only run into more of that stuff as you increase in level. He had a grenade launcher and his name was about the only one appearing on the left side of the obituary scroll.

Then I asked myself why I wasn't just playing Counter-Strike, instead. I can't bring myself to invest any significant time into an unbalanced shooter that relies on RNG and P2W.

Too bad, I did like the shooting mechanics, especially the lack of emphasis on ADS, and the objective-based play was fairly unique. Just not worth the David vs Goliath feel of coming up against someone that probably isn't as skilled in shooters as you are, but got some real luck in the gacha machine. Becoming Goliath myself has absolutely no personal appeal, either.

Really, I wish it would have just been a $15-20 game, instead of F2P. This game just walks in the mistaken footsteps of Hawken, and that's a shame. Hawken was another game with a lot of potential immediately squandered by its business model.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Just not worth the David vs Goliath feel of coming up against someone that probably isn't as skilled in shooters as you are, but got some real luck in the gacha machine.

So you've played this game for 4 hours and you assume the person pwning you "probably isn't as skilled in shooters as you are." You probably don't know the maps that well, you probably ran into a choke-point, or you weren't supporting/being supported by your teammates properly.

Or maybe they were hacking or are just a really good player. Did you play casual? Guys like Kudo or Bungabunga occasionally show up there and stomp. Different mercs and loadout cards don't give you big advantage. If you're a good player, you'll perform good regardless of those, if you're bad those won't help you much.

Kade

The loadouts work similarly to the sidegrades in Team Fortress 2, so there aren't any extreme advantages that made up for any of that player's deficiencies. The augments exist to push specific playstyles and approaches to movement or encounters. It sounds like there was just an information or skill gap between you and the other player rather than someone being elevated due to "luck" or someone being at a disadvantage because they have less.

antitrop

So you've played this game for 4 hours and you assume the person pwning you "probably isn't as skilled in shooters as you are." You probably don't know the maps that well, you probably ran into a choke-point, or you weren't supporting/being supported by your teammates properly.

I would rather spend my time with a game where even the question of that variable of RNG luck is completely eliminated, and there are no short supply of those around. Just a shame, is all.

I wanted to love Hawken, too.

mkenyon

Banned
Played 4 hours yesterday and was having a great time, until I got into a server with a guy who was absolutely dominating with an unlocked Merc and a lucky loadout card. I would imagine you would only run into more of that stuff as you increase in level. He had a grenade launcher and his name was about the only one appearing on the left side of the obituary scroll.

Then I asked myself why I wasn't just playing Counter-Strike, instead. I can't bring myself to invest any significant time into an unbalanced shooter that relies on RNG and P2W.

Too bad, I did like the shooting mechanics, especially the lack of emphasis on ADS, and the objective-based play was fairly unique. Just not worth the David vs Goliath feel of coming up against someone that probably isn't as skilled in shooters as you are, but got some real luck in the gacha machine. Becoming Goliath myself has absolutely no personal appeal, either.

Really, I wish it would have just been a $15-20 game, instead of F2P. This game just walks in the mistaken footsteps of Hawken, and that's a shame. Hawken was another game with a lot of potential immediately squandered by its business model.
You're pretty off-base here.

The merc you're referring to is Nader, and she's not even that great. In fact, she's rarely seen in competitive games.

Skill ceiling is considerably higher in this game than it is in CS due to the movement and much higher TTK. Loadouts have almost no effect. There's a lot to take into account in this game, and I can understand why it would be easier to just blame RNG rather than your own personal ability and/or understanding, but TBH, with your taste in shooters I'm not entirely surprised to see this as your opinion.

I encourage you to keep playing. You may have come across a really good player in the game. This is going to happen regardless of what merc they are playing. In pubs I can dominate with a medic, while properly playing the support role. It is almost embarrassing for the other team, since I am not even that good. But they're still new and have much to learn.

I can promise you that the "gacha" system has literally no bearing on how good a player is. Even augments are really minor in the grand scheme of things. They don't make you a better shooter. There is no aim perk, no bullet damage perk, and no perk makes you survive more shots. And you can purchase any bronze loadout card you want (bronze loadouts are the "strongest" loadouts get before just being purely cosmetic upgrades). Lead weapons and bronze or cobalt weapons have no statistical difference. The only thing that changes on loadout cards are the specific weapon and the specific augments you get.

As far as nader specifically, nader isn't even that good. I personally like Nader, but haven't bothered to unlock her permanently. She is a decent assault based merc, although she has lower hp than other assault mercs. She is actually much more in line with a support character than she is with assault in terms of stats. For that reason I somewhat prefer skyhammer. I don't think skyhammer is better than her, or vice versa, but skyhammer contributes to the team a bit more with ammo drops. Nader's strength is helping push against a team that is dug in deep - an important strength no doubt.

I recommend at least playing with some friends before you move on. Playing with friends is the best way to play a game like this one.

HelloMeow

Came across 2 cheaters already. Both on my team. One had a no-spread minigun hack. The other was a sniper with an aimbot.

How are they going to combat cheating? It's a free game, so that could complicate things.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Came across 2 cheaters already. Both on my team. One had a no-spread minigun hack. The other was a sniper with an aimbot.

How are they going to combat cheating? It's a free game, so that could complicate things.

CS:GO has cheaters too and it isn't free to play. I think PC is just notorious for having cheaters. Not a whole lot that can be done since it is so easy to make another account.

mkenyon

Banned

You sure the Sniper had aimbot?

I mean, some of the pros can make it look like they have aimbot. Out of all my time playing, as well as hours of watching streams, I've only ever seen 1 for sure, and maybe 3 total.

The game is tied to your Steam account, so there's that. But, I'm not certain how they are going to totally prevent it yet. They have their own anti-cheat, and it does okay, but of course there's going to be cheaters that get through.

tl;dr it's hard

There is vote kick. They are working on making that tool easier and more visible to use.

Well, here is the latest post on cheaters:

As Dirty Bomb approaches Open Beta, we’re kicking up our ban policies a notch to combat the issue of hackers. Any player that is detected as hacking will be permanently banned from Dirty Bomb. Whether they were caught through our anti-cheat program, via a GM's monitoring or through an investigation triggered by a player report, the result will be the same: Do not pass go, do not collect $200, proceed directly to the incinerator.

To help your fellow players out, please vote-kick any hackers in-game and report them (find out how here ). Additionally, we are instituting round the clock GM monitoring and support, to watch out for hackers and other abusive players (remember, don’t be a d*ck!).

Stay tuned! We will be updating you with our progress and further actions that’ll be taken as time goes on.
http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.php/44112-Changes-to-Anti-Hack-Policies-Zero-Tolerance

So it looks like they'll have people on the look out for cheaters but they don't go into much explanation on how this will actually work. Another thing is they do have a very in depth statistic gathering service known as echo which records basically everything that happens in every match played. This service can be used to help identify cheaters from their end.

Grief.exe

Uuuhhhhhhh

Anti, bro, the cards don't translate any inherent advantage. Especially when the default weapons are the same as the higher level cards.

Mercs cost money, the cards are essentially cosmetics after a certain point.

I bought the starter pack last night and spent the 50k credits on Rhino.
AUTEf.gif

Any tips on using this guy? He can output a lot of damage, but it just doesn't seem to matter. People focus me down so quickly and I can't get to safety in time. I can't tell if I'm using him wrong or if he's really weak.

Grief.exe

I think that's the best streamer I have ever seen and I generally hate Twitch personalities. She was just constantly giving advice.

Any tips on using this guy? He can output a lot of damage, but it just doesn't seem to matter. People focus me down so quickly and I can't get to safety in time. I can't tell if I'm using him wrong or if he's really weak.

You pretty much require a medic to stick with you if you are going to play a slow, easy target like that.

mkenyon

Banned
AUTEf.gif

+1 to Grief. You absolutely need a medic following you around everywhere. Otherwise he's garbage.

Calmine

Damn feel a bit cheated. Bought the starter pack and used 17,500 credit for a weapon card and it took ages to accept and the credits didn't drop so I did it again and it double credited me :( and now I have two...

Ah well. Still enjoying the game though so big deal.

Kade

Hell yes. NOw the game is less P2W for 4 days. The four days I have off from work too.

I think I'm going to go all in on competitive mode for the next few days too since pubs are getting too lop-sided when I play with my friends. Might have to switch out a merc or two since Proxy and Kira don't seem that great against the type of player who would play in competitive. I'll keep Sawbonez in though.

Z3M0G

After watching Angry Joe's video, I'm confused by this part of the OP:

Loadouts can give mercs different weapons and augments. Currently the loadouts range from Lead to Cobalt. Lead gives you 1 augment, Iron gives you 2 and from Bronze it's 3. The difference between Bronze, Silver, Gold and Cobalt is purely cosmetic. You can trade up cards (credits will also be needed). 3 Lead (plus credits) gives you an Iron for a specific merc you choose, or 3 Irons give you 1 Bronze. For upper tiers you'll need 4 lesser cards (4 bronze for 1 silver, 4 silver for 1 gold). Currently trading up Gold for Cobalt is not supported. You might also see people with Obsidian cards. There are two sets of those. One for the people who were there since the alpha and for those who played during the Steam stress test weekends.

Is this bit true? Can I get an example?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Angry Joe's video was trash and had misinformation everywhere.

It is true that anything above Bronze is all the same other than cosmetics. Same weapons, same perks, different costume variations.
You can choose exactly which bronze loadout to buy from the store for in-game credits if RNG isn't your thing.

mkenyon

Banned

Angry Joe's video is completely inaccurate.

All of the loadouts exist on bronze cards. The only difference by going up to silver, gold, cobalt, or even the super exclusive obsidian cards is a different skin for the merc. He's an idiot. There's absolutely nothing P2W about this game.

Z3M0G

Angry Joe's video was trash and had misinformation everywhere.

It is true that anything above Bronze is all the same other than cosmetics. Same weapons, same perks, different costume variations.
You can choose exactly which bronze loadout to buy from the store for in-game credits if RNG isn't your thing.

For example here's a pre-Cobalt Proxy table

as you can see all cards above Iron have 3 augment slots and they're the same on the same branch.

Thanks, I admit I find the concept of the game pretty cool, I'd like to try it some day, especially if it comes to console. I wish you got more credits during play though...

Kade

Thanks, I admit I find the concept of the game pretty cool, I'd like to try it some day, especially if it comes to console. I wish you got more credits during play though...

Definitely check it out for yourself if and when you can. Everyone talks about and complains about the payment and progression model but forgets to mention the most important thing: behind all that is a really fucking good and fun to play FPS.

Grief.exe

Also important to keep in mind that the extra perks and different weapons from the higher level cards are mainly side grade from the starting cards.

Different weapons give relatively little gain in DPS, with some actually even lower. An example of a perk is 20% faster objective activation or 50% more health on revive. These are nice, but certainly not game breaking.

If these side grades were behind a pay wall that would be one thing entirely, but Splash Damage has made them accessible essentially from the outset.

You are subject to some RNG in how you access cards, but it has relatively little bearing on the game. For example, I keep crafting garbage silver cards, but I still have one of the best bronze cards for my class so I am unaffected.

I can see how a person can get confused, however. Case in point Angry Joe and Antitrop in this thread. Of course this game is still in beta and more UI changes could be easily implemented.

Splash Damage a couple of streams ago did say, if people still think this is p2w they're going to make the message clear, just like they tried before that.

AUTEf.gif

Assuming you play in pubs, a good Rhino knows how to pick his fights. With some experience you'll know which maps & which areas you can dominate. Don't neglect your shotty & pistol, the minigun is not always the best choice even in close range.
Also Rhino without a medic isn't really a good merc, you don't necessarily need a pocket medick but you at least need to be able to refill your health quickly. To be useful to its team and be a threat a Rhino needs a lot of HP and if you're down to 20hp, the refill to 200 is very very long which means you're useless to your team for a while.

Top Bottom