• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirty Bomb open beta thread

Grief.exe

I bought a credit booster to take advantage of the double point weekend. My goal is to amass enough credits to unlock Proxy by Sunday.

Only question is, SMG or Shotgun?

Kade

I've had a lot of success and fun with the Remburg shotgun with the Tolen smg secondary. The Remburg's damage is awesome.

The Hochfir SMG is very good, way better than the Blishlok you can get on Aura. It's very high rate of fire rate and pretty accurate for close range headshots. You would think that the slow firing high time to kill would be better for getting headshots but not in this game. With the fast movement in this game having a bullet hose type weapon is better than a semi auto shotgun very often although that can be fun when you land the shots.

Khronico

The Hochfir SMG is very good, way better than the Blishlok you can get on Aura. It's very high rate of fire rate and pretty accurate for close range headshots. You would think that the slow firing high time to kill would be better for getting headshots but not in this game. With the fast movement in this game having a bullet hose type weapon is better than a semi auto shotgun very often although that can be fun when you land the shots.

Yeah blishlok is kinda crappy imo. I have a cobalt sawbonez with it and I swapped it out for the AK equivalent gun which I like way more. Also the reload on the blishlok feels longer than the other SMG's.

I want to get an SMG proxy to switch out with my current proxy w/pump shotgun. The shotgun does great damage but I miss 90% of my shots so it doesn't matter lol.

Is obsidian the rarest card? I got an obsidian Proxy card. Not sure if I should spend my 30k on her or keep saving for Kira. I love dat orbital laser man..

Is obsidian the rarest card? I got an obsidian Proxy card. Not sure if I should spend my 30k on her or keep saving for Kira. I love dat orbital laser man..

Obsidian is a reward for event only. So I guess you can call that rare. But then the rarest would be founder cards since you would have had to buy into the game like over one or two years ago to get them.

Cobalt is the rarest you can get from cases atm.

HariKari

I bought a credit booster to take advantage of the double point weekend. My goal is to amass enough credits to unlock Proxy by Sunday.

Only question is, SMG or Shotgun?

Remburg

The Hollands doesn't reliably two shot for me. I don't know what the deal is with that. Proxi is best played like a suicide bomber, dropping into groups of enemies with her mines, and going to work with the shotgun.

They really need cooldowns on the revives or make it easier to finish off downed opponents. Medic trains are out of control.

Taborcarn

When you're vote kicked, does it tell you?
I was just in a competetive match where 2 of my teammates left. I wanted to finish out the match since I have a challenge for stopwatch games, but the other team pushed 5 vs 3 until they were just snipers spawn camping us, so I called them assholes and got dc'ed and couldn't rejoin. Vote kicked?

When you're vote kicked, does it tell you?
I was just in a competetive match where 2 of my teammates left. I wanted to finish out the match since I have a challenge for stopwatch games, but the other team pushed 5 vs 3 until they were just snipers spawn camping us, so I called them assholes and got dc'ed and couldn't rejoin. Vote kicked?

You would get a message normally when you return to the main menu.

mkenyon

Banned
Remburg

The Hollands doesn't reliably two shot for me. I don't know what the deal is with that. Proxi is best played like a suicide bomber, dropping into groups of enemies with her mines, and going to work with the shotgun.

They really need cooldowns on the revives or make it easier to finish off downed opponents. Medic trains are out of control.
The objective is way more important than being a suicide bomber. That might be more fun, but if you want to run into a group of people and kill them, that's what Fragger and Skyhammer are for.

Proxy is not meant to frag, Proxy is meant to grab the objective and then place traps to make it more difficult to stop. The shotgun compliments that ambush style of play, and the high movement allows you to execute that with a greater element of surprise.

Is there anywhere I can get a revive table with HP on revive for each merc for different defib charge times with and without the augment ? Game's still young so I doubt it's been made but might as well ask.

Watching some twitch streams and the potato settings that a lot of people use make the game look so bad. It's like, can't you even tweak them to run at 1080p instead of some retro crt resolution or up the texture quality so they don't look like smudges.

It is so weird that people complain about nader being OP. Perhaps they have never actually used her. She is an assault merc that, of course, has no ammo packs or health packs, yet her primary weapons are all SMGs. She has the same fighting strength as a medic basically, with a grenade launcher of course as an ability. Martyrdom is complete trash against anyone who is aware that she has it. So basically she is a merc who has a SMG, not bad but not great, an average move speed, I think 110 hp which is quite average. Basically a support class that exchanges 2 abilities for 1, the grenade launcher.

CSJ

The minigun guy is way OP, infinite ammo and an on call minigun with little overheat in CQB he's a wrecking ball. Compared to any other class he seems like he needs changing.

Lucky I some how had 50k credits, I don't know where from and spent it on him.

The minigun guy is way OP, infinite ammo and an on call minigun with little overheat in CQB he's a wrecking ball. Compared to any other class he seems like he needs changing.

Lucky I some how had 50k credits, I don't know where from and spent it on him.

But he is terribly slow moving and very dependent on being healed since he is difficult to relocate and very easy to hit. I think most rhinos I have played against are very unimpressive.

CSJ

But he is terribly slow moving and very dependent on being healed since he is difficult to relocate and very easy to hit. I think most rhinos I have played against are very unimpressive.

Not really, if you sprint along side other classes the speed difference is minimal, but ultimately in close quarters speed isn't required. Every class needs to be healed, it's not exclusive to Rhino.
You bring the fight to you, you don't go chasing either, once they're right in your face they have at most a second and a half to react.

His strong point is pillaring, using walls/occlusion to pop around and surprise people up close. If there are any medics worth their salt with a healing station(always deployed), staying within a quick run of it is good enough to keep you going.
Dunno, every time I play him I'm slaughtering people left, right and center.

Not really, if you sprint along side other classes the speed difference is minimal, but ultimately in close quarters speed isn't required. Every class needs to be healed, it's not exclusive to Rhino.
You bring the fight to you, you don't go chasing either, once they're right in your face they have at most a second and a half to react.

His strong point is pillaring, using walls/occlusion to pop around and surprise people up close. If there are any medics worth their salt with a healing station(always deployed), staying within a quick run of it is good enough to keep you going.

I'm not just talking about sprint speed, but shooting while moving as well. But yeah, that sprint speed difference is big as well. And when moving you need to rev up before firing. These things add up to making Rhino really slow.

I say Rhino is more dependent on healers because of the above. You're going to be exposed to gunfire more and people are gonna see a huge target and focus on you as well. As an engineer like proxy, I can easily escape and find strong positioning where rhino will just get gunned down if he tries to move and maybe get 1 kill if lucky. That 1 kill is hardly going to matter, especially if a medic is present.

I think you can slaughter with any merc in the game, including medics, at least right now while many people don't have a solid grasp on combat let alone tactics needed to push objectives well or play as a team.

Rhino isn't bad... just pretty average imo. I think he works in niche situation better than some alternatives, just not generally better than fragger in most other situations.

Just had my best scoring game ever on chapel. 20,000+ points :D
I scored every single objective, escored the EV the entire way, got a ton of triple, quad and a killing spree medal. Tok a steam screenshot of the scoreboard at the end of the game and the fucking game CTD's on me :lol:

mkenyon

Banned

That's kind of stacking the box, but also, speed is still important in close quarters. Wall jump, strafe, duck and weave to stay alive. Movement is much more important in this game than aim is.

I think overall though, this is how most of the comp community would view power of the mercs.

OP
Bushwhacker

Powerful
Sawbonez
Fragger
Vasilli

Good but situational
Skyhammer
Nader
Kira
Fletcher

Bad but can be good in specific situations
Proxy
Rhino
Aura

Worthless
Arty

In my experience Bushwhackers turret is like the eye of sauron. I fear it more than Rhino. Not really sure why his SMG is liked so much, on paper it doesn't seem that superior.

CSJ

Movement is much more important in this game than aim is

We have vastly differing opinions, it must be the way I play but movement plays no part in closed off corridors or other such/similar places. You get caught with your pants down, you don't have enough room to run away, or to push forward. Its like coming up against a TF2 Heavy in 2forts S-Bend Sewers, you only have three options, run past, run away or fight. Neither of them benefit you in any way, you just accept that it was bad luck and die trying.

Those are the places I stick to, again; the way I play is to use terrain to my advantage and not put myself out in the open. He's the CQB king in my experience. Maybe those who aren't good at it are a little too offensive in style.

Learn the best killzones, abuse it.

Tabby

We have vastly differing opinions, it must be the way I play but movement plays no part in closed off corridors or other such/similar places. You get caught with your pants down, you don't have enough room to run away, or to push forward. Its like coming up against a TF2 Heavy in 2forts S-Bend Sewers, you only have three options, run past, run away or fight. Neither of them benefit you in any way, you just accept that it was bad luck and die trying.

Those are the places I stick to, again; the way I play is to use terrain to my advantage and not put myself out in the open. He's the CQB king in my experience. Maybe those who aren't good at it are a little too offensive in style.

I don't know. I've played against some high level players and when they're using mercs that have high move speed they trick jump, double jump and wall jump all over the place.

Having good aim is benefitial but I think movement is more important.

It's late and I realise that I have to give my team advice like if the enemy is mostly aura and they can't hit them for fuck they should just run at them with their knives.

Grief.exe

I don't know. I've played against some high level players and when they're using mercs that have high move speed they trick jump, double jump and wall jump all over the place.

Having good aim is benefitial but I think movement is more important.

I think we can agree that both are equally important.

At least it's not Call of Duty where neither really factor in, but that is also why it's so popular with the mainstream.

That's kind of stacking the box, but also, speed is still important in close quarters. Wall jump, strafe, duck and weave to stay alive. Movement is much more important in this game than aim is.

I think overall though, this is how most of the comp community would view power of the mercs.

OP
Bushwhacker

Powerful
Sawbonez
Fragger
Vasilli

Good but situational
Skyhammer
Nader
Kira
Fletcher

Proxy
Rhino
Aura

Worthless
Arty

Good thing I saw this.

Guess I should buy Bushwhacker over Proxy.

CSJ

Ugh just had a server where the entire enemy team was the guy that could throw that air strike when the EV was up, then switched to another class after.

It was quite literally constant air strike spam, feels like an oversight :(

squall23

OP
Bushwhacker

Powerful
Sawbonez
Fragger
Vasilli

Good but situational
Skyhammer
Nader
Kira
Fletcher

Proxy
Rhino
Aura

Worthless
Arty
Oh good. Bushwacker's the one I got a chrome loadout for.

They said back in alpha that a lot of balancing would occur in open beta when the population got larger. I wouldn't expect that list of rankings to stay the same for too long.

Ugh just had a server where the entire enemy team was the guy that could throw that air strike when the EV was up, then switched to another class after.

It was quite literally constant air strike spam, feels like an oversight :(

This will happen most often in higher player count servers. But, you can't just use an airstrike, switch characters, then a minute later and come back and airstrike again. The cooldown on abilities only tick down while you are active with the character. So I don't think the way mercs work right now is an oversight at all. It was intended to be that way. You can only have 3 mercs set up. If aim to fully use all those 3 mercs, spawning as skyhammer to get an extra airstrike in seems like a reasonable tactic. But you can't at least constantly do that.

I hope that they don't give Rhino buffs based on competitive player feedback and look at his overall performance. It's annoying in teh casuals when a Rhino can just set up and it seems nobody on your team can deal with him without panicking.

Overall they need to make it easier to frag downed players. Wassily I think maybe also has too much health and utility with smg secondary. Mechanically I don't like the idea of bunny hopping snipers.

I unlocked Nader due to the double xp weekend. I never really liked her much through alpha + cb, but now I am really taking a liking to her after the spread change they made a few weeks ago. She didn't get better by it, but I think the ARs got a little less mobility due to how spread pops up more when you aren't standing still or crouching. So now I think SMGs fit my playstyle a bit better.

I have come to most enjoy the more versatile builds in FPS games over the years, and the crotzni and even the hochfir (spelling) are pretty versatile even as SMGs. Long range is clearly a weak point, but the grenade launcher makes her pretty strong at even midrange.

Due to the weekend I easily will have 50k credits for when stoker comes out. He is just great imo. I can't wait to molotov an aura and her team while they sit on a healing dispenser.

CSJ

But, you can't just use an airstrike, switch characters, then a minute later and come back and airstrike again. The cooldown on abilities only tick down while you are active with the character. So I don't think the way mercs work right now is an oversight at all. It was intended to be that way. You can only have 3 mercs set up. If aim to fully use all those 3 mercs, spawning as skyhammer to get an extra airstrike in seems like a reasonable tactic. But you can't at least constantly do that.

You've just explained what I said people literally do.
I wasn't saying you can swap classes on the fly or how the timer works, just stating how an actual match played and that it was non-stop air-strikes.

It doesn't matter if you can't swap instantly, they use it to push certain objectives and THEN change, not just on the fly. Besides the cooldown is ridiculously short that when you have 7 people with air strike it's happening pretty much non stop.

That's what happened, it was like every 10 seconds it was going off near the EV, but then again the attacking team didn't exactly try kill anyone. After that match I started having half my games with people doing the same thing.

It doesn't matter if it's against me or my team is doing it, it feels really cheap and I've never played a game where a tactic like that has been abused so much; so I just leave and try another server.

mkenyon

Banned
Great, even more people are going to whine how OP Rhino is. I don't know what's up with that char. When I pubstomp with Fragger, Bush or even Sawbonez nobody bats an eye but as soon as I have a good game with Rhino everybody loses their damn mind.
I have no idea why people think he's OP either. Must be an issue with pub ability and lack of headshots?

Grief.exe

The only time I've seen a successful Rhino is when I was supporting him with Bonez.

Rhino is incredibly easy to headshot. Just strafe and put him down quickly.

mkenyon

Banned
Yup. His chaingun sucks at range too.

If he's in a building, get a nader or fragger to flush him out. Then HS. Done deal.

I'm always trying to rationalize what folks are thinking when they're saying Rhino is OP.

"Oh my god the dude with 200hp and a minigun always wandering in a building near a healing station wrecks my ass in close range when I run straight to him with a 90hp merc, someone call the cops !"

mkenyon

Banned
That sounds just about right.

"OMG WHY CAN'T I SHOTGUN HIM IN THE FACE WITH PROXY SO OP"

Folks gotta remember this isn't deathmatch. The amount of teamwork required in this game is incredibly higher than most FPS games out there. I have a feeling the overall feel of controls and weapons make folks think that they're playstyle from CS or CoD should carry over here.

Top Bottom