• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disappointment: 100% Hype to 0% Hype...

OrangeSun77

Neo Member
The Phantom Pain, Death Stranding, Mass Effect Andromeda and Spider-Man. Too many disappointments, I could go on but possibly so many other games presented at E3 didn't meet expectations either. Not Cyberpunk 2077, because you could already see disaster coming hundreds of miles away.

bender

What time is it?
Metal_Gear_Solid_V_The_Phantom_Pain_cover.png

They both suck...

kiryu-slapping.gif

Nozz-A-La

Diablo 2: Resurrected on consoles.

I have hundreds of hours in the original and was ridiculously hyped for this, until I found out consoles will not have lobbies or even chat.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Uncharted 4

I bought it day one when it first came out but shelved it quickly for the longer than last time cutscenes, uninteresting llocations, and it seemed they cranked up the shoot outs even more. every 3 steps was a massive shoot out.

I actually started playing it again reently and the locations got much better., but the shoot outs are still way too much. Even shadow of the tomb raider cut back on it shoot outs.

intbal

It wasn't a new video that did it, but the early reviews for Biomutant all agreed that the gameplay was not quite the open-ended large world experience that most of us had been expecting.
My interest level dropped enough that I moved the game from my "Actively Search For A Good Deal" pile to my "I'll wait a couple of years for a $5 used copy on ebay" pile.
I still want to play the game, but there's no urgency.

Flutta

Banned
Never understood the hate for Metal Gear Solid 5. Yes the story was incomplete. But the tight gameplay, interesting characters, motherbase, game mechanics etc were all top notch. I mean its an MSG game from top to bottom. If you never liked the series i can understand otherwise i dont get the strong hate for it.

To the topic at hand i would say Resident evil 3, specially after Resident evil 2 remake. Capcom def dropped the ball with that one.

Last edited:

Aenima

TLOU2

Im a huge fan of the 1st game and is one of my favorite games of all time, my hype for a sequel was pretty high. And while i enjoyed all the improved gameplay mechanics in TLOU2, what they did with the story and to the characters of the 1st game, pretty much destroid my love for this franshise to the point if they make a TLOU3 im just buying it from a promo.

mhirano

Ghost of Tsushima 500000%

Those first videos romanticised the old kung Fu flicks, the black and white cinema, the long drawn out duels and it turns out to be Assassin's Creed.

Deflated like a witches tit
KUNG FU???
I think you meant Kurosawa samurai flicks?

Aldric

I wouldn't say I went from 100 to 0 but this year's BotW2 trailer really brought my interest in the game down. I was already expecting the game to look and feel samey due to Aonuma saying it'd take place in the same world but I was still hoping for something truly different like a dark world version of the map or maybe a fully underground world to explore. Turns out it's the same map with recycled enemies and a floating islands theme I hated in Skyward Sword which doesn't look more engaging here.

Now Nintendo have a habit of showing a rather underwhelming initial trailer and then reveal the central hook and more mechanics in a second trailer months later so that might happen again and I'd be glad if they could change my mind but for the moment it's a huge letdown.

Markio128

MS Flight Sim. The visuals are some of the best I have seen, but once I’d completed the training missions, visited my home town and flew around some of the 7 wonders, there was literally no game left. It is crying out for some single player content, such as starting a delivery business with a small plane and base, earning money to progress to bigger and better things. How hard could it be? You could even set up a business with a friend and compete with other players businesses, with a highest earner leaderboard. As it stands, I just don’t have the motivation to play it, which is a big shame. Maybe the upcoming multiplayer aspect will help, but it isn’t what I’m waiting for personally.

Boneless

God of War 2018.

Was a fan of the original trilogy, even played the remastered psp games, and everyone just kept showering this game with praises and calling it GOTY, so it must be good right?
Then i finally tried it and all i got was an ok-ish beat 'em up that still managed to play worse than the original, with an uninteresting story that really wanted to think of itself as some deep emotional shit.

This was the game that made me officially stop considering general reviews and mainstream public impressions as a metric for getting my games.

:')

Athreous

Final Fantasy. After playing FF7RI I have zero hype for FFXVI and any Final Fantasy going with realtime action. Just make it turnbased again or outsource the IP to a dev that can actually make third person action, it’s just some B grade janky shit now.
I love the old ffs, but turn based just doesnt fit modern games anymore... Fans would buy the game, but the rest? they'd skip it for sure.

Last edited:

Brigandier

Shenmue III - Very little story progression at all, No character and hardly any martial arts skill progression of Ryo.
Ryo was becoming a badass at the end of Shenmue II defeating Master Baihu and Giant Dou Niu then he can't even beat a bunch of thugz in Shenmue III... Absolute trash game.

The Phanton Pain - No character development and all potentially great cutscenes removed and in tape format lol... Enemy AI about as dumb as you can get, Broad daylight and enemy soldiers can't see you running down a mountain with a missile launcher... A crack sniper who you just circle around and tranquilize lol... Let's not forget reused areas for missions yuck, No real bosses besides a resurrected Volgin and a metal gear that is more advanced than Rex.... And last but not least "Medic Snake" 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

The game is certainly a Hideous Kojima game.

Cyberpunk - Doesn't need an explanation.

No mans sky - Mega hype from the reveal trailer to wtf is this garbage on release, Credit to Hello Games for turning it around so much, It's now a damn good game.

gela94

God of War 2018.

Was a fan of the original trilogy, even played the remastered psp games, and everyone just kept showering this game with praises and calling it GOTY, so it must be good right?
Then i finally tried it and all i got was an ok-ish beat 'em up that still managed to play worse than the original, with an uninteresting story that really wanted to think of itself as some deep emotional shit.

This was the game that made me officially stop considering general reviews and mainstream public impressions as a metric for getting my games.
Yeah it felt like 3 different enemy types .. . and almost no cool mythology beast fights kind of thing.

Cyberpunk - My most anticipated game for two years. In the end I skipped launch day and will happily wait until I can buy it for $10. I also really don't like the art direction at all.

Fallout 76 - Surprise reveal led to a short moment of giddy glee as a huge Fallout fan. This was followed by the immediate realization it was an MMO. I eventually accepted this and was still looking forward to playing it. The game launched and I even got a Power Armor Helmet version of the game as a gift which I never bothered playing because at launch it was broken piece of shit. I hear it's gotten better, but I also hear that I don't give a shit.

Gran Turismo as a series - I bought a PS1 for the first GT, no regrets. I bought a PS2 for GT3, no regrets. I replaced multiple DRE PS2s for GT3 and GT4, starting to feel some regrets. I bought a PS3 solely for GT5, regrets intensify. Hesitantly bought GT6, it was just a soulless husk of what GT used to be.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah it felt like 3 different enemy types .. . and almost no cool mythology beast fights kind of thing.
I don't feel that negative toward GOW 2018, I still enjoyed it but I agree with you 110%. There is a part in the game when you have to collect heart of guardian in Helheim and you would think to yourself you going to encounter really cool creature but it turns out it just reskined Troll, at that moment I came to realization they cheap out on enemy/boss design HARD and this game suppose to be AAA high budget game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Isa

I love the old ffs, but turn based just doesnt fit modern games anymore... Fans would buy the game, but the rest? they'd skip it for sure.
I respectfully disagree. There is plenty of room for turn based games in the current era, and I'd say going forward well into the future. Tabletop games have also seen a bit of a resurgence as well with just about all being TB. Its true that Squeenix tends to aim for high numbers in regards to sales performance, but I think they'd do very well to look back at what made the franchise so endearing to fans and set proper budget limits and expectations.

Some of my favorite games recently released are turn based and do so quite well, such as Valkyria Chronicles, Persona, Shin Megami Tensei, hell even Monster Hunter Stories. Xcom, Civilization, Crusader Kings, one could argue if they weren't real time games people wouldn't buy them either. I'm not saying there isn't room for growth, and action rpgs. Hell the Mana series is among my favorite games of all time, and those were labelled as FF spinoff titles.

On topic, I don't know, its been so long since I've learned to keep my expectations in check, like around the early 90's. I remember being 8-10 years old, had roughly 90 space bucks from Christmas and Birthday money, went into Toys R Us and with no game previews, no internet, and no mags at my childhood disposal to research anything, had to pick from a wall of cartridge art. My mom wanted me to hurry so I went with what I recognized name wise. Fucking Nascar man. God I still regret that to this day. I don't even like nascar(I'm a rally, and F series guy myself) but I had to hurry. Had to wait more than a year to get another game and it blew. But thankfully back then rentals were a thing so that helped with experiencing new games.

Nozz-A-La

I respectfully disagree. There is plenty of room for turn based games in the current era, and I'd say going forward well into the future. Tabletop games have also seen a bit of a resurgence as well with just about all being TB. Its true that Squeenix tends to aim for high numbers in regards to sales performance, but I think they'd do very well to look back at what made the franchise so endearing to fans and set proper budget limits and expectations.

Some of my favorite games recently released are turn based and do so quite well, such as Valkyria Chronicles, Persona, Shin Megami Tensei, hell even Monster Hunter Stories. Xcom, Civilization, Crusader Kings, one could argue if they weren't real time games people wouldn't buy them either. I'm not saying there isn't room for growth, and action rpgs. Hell the Mana series is among my favorite games of all time, and those were labelled as FF spinoff titles.

On topic, I don't know, its been so long since I've learned to keep my expectations in check, like around the early 90's. I remember being 8-10 years old, had roughly 90 space bucks from Christmas and Birthday money, went into Toys R Us and with no game previews, no internet, and no mags at my childhood disposal to research anything, had to pick from a wall of cartridge art. My mom wanted me to hurry so I went with what I recognized name wise. Fucking Nascar man. God I still regret that to this day. I don't even like nascar(I'm a rally, and F series guy myself) but I had to hurry. Had to wait more than a year to get another game and it blew. But thankfully back then rentals were a thing so that helped with experiencing new games.

I love turn based games and it saddens me how so many people seem to be turning away from them.

I feel this way about a lot of games I have played lately, but from what I have seen recently in other topics at this site "people who do not like highly rated, well sold and well respected games are trolls and idiots."

Oh well. I like what I like and stay away from what I don't. Fuck shills, sales and critic reviews.

Isa

I love turn based games and it saddens me how so many people seem to be turning away from them.
Yeah me too. Unfortunately instant gratification just sells better, but thankfully there is still a niche for things that require a bit more thought and patience to enjoy. If anything I'm actually surprised that there are turn based games still doing well enough to survive. I mean even Ubisoft managed to turn Mario into a turn based affair and it worked.

God of War 2018.

Couldn't agree more. Tried getting into God of War on two occasions, and decided to permanently drop it. I just wasn't having fun with it anymore. The combat felt off, and the long, boring cinematic with the odd "press X to do something" thrown in... That's not gameplay to me.

Lethal01

Final Fantasy. After playing FF7RI I have zero hype for FFXVI and any Final Fantasy going with realtime action. Just make it turnbased again or outsource the IP to a dev that can actually make third person action, it’s just some B grade janky shit now.
After playing FF7R I have no interest in Square Enix ever going back to turn based or making a system that isn't a hybrid like it was. Remake is the final fantasy battle system reaching perfection with both more depth and strategy than ever while feeling like a great action game.

That said I am excited for project triangle strategy.

On topic, I remember losing tons of interest when I found out Cyberpunk was going to be a first-person game. But fearing disappointment is for the weak, disappointment lasts a moment, the excitement leading up to it can last months.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Unfortunately instant gratification just sells better
Honestly I would argue turn based has much more gratification. In action RPGs, especially the ones with party system is messy. I’m mostly mindlessly mashing button until the enemy is dead without thinking about buffs and debuffs or weakness and always try to babysits my dumb AI party members.

junguler

Banned
i was very hyped for let it die but i had sold my ps4 when it came out and remember being really excited after hearing it was coming to steam. installed the game and it felt like shit, my character running out of breath every few seconds, weapons breaking and doing fuck all for damage, long loading times and weird progression system ... i didn't know what i was expecting but that wasn't it.

Isa

Honestly I would argue turn based has much more gratification. In action RPGs, especially the ones with party system is messy. I’m mostly mindlessly mashing button until the enemy is dead without thinking about buffs and debuffs or weakness and always try to babysits my dumb AI party members.
I agree, its more fun to me to have to think about enemy weaknesses, able to plan out abilities and attacks utilizing my whole party. Turn based does that far better in my opinion, and it excels in offering more complicated gameplay scenarios and diversity instead of set pieces which are the norm in action games. But I enjoy both, its nice to have variety. I agree about the dumb AI, it can bog a game down. Some of my fave action rpgs like the Nier games or Trials of Mana I feel like I never had to worry about my party.

Fbh

When Nintendo/ATLUS announced they had a Shin Megami Tensei X Fire emblem project in development, which they announced specifically using characters and art from the darker and more combat/dungeon focused mainline franchise.

....and then it turned out to be some Persona inspired weeb crap about pop idols.

Or when Fire Emblem on Swich looked like a cool and pretty straight forward FE title with some interesting new mechanics

And then half the game turned out to be an anime highschool simulator

Hoppa

Smash bros. I'd never owned a Nintendo console so never played the series but I've been a massive fighting game fan since the PS1. I got caught up in they hype with all the character announcements then when I got it found out you control the character with the analog stick. Played about 4 or 5 hours and haven't touched it since.

TheMan

OP, Sifu has looked exactly like chinese batman since the first time I saw gameplay. I figured that's what the people wanted.

arvfab

Banned
Zelda: Bore of the Wild.
Was really hyped for a new TloZ installment, only to find a shallow, boring open world, with meaningless enemy encounters and nothing resembling a proper Zelda game.

Gears of War.
A blunt corridor shooter, with not even an engaging story to make up for the rather monotonous gameplay. Fortunately, part 2 was better, but not enough to keep caring for following installments.

Syberia 3.
Loved the first 2 games, had high hopes for a sequel, only to find a buggy mess with a forgettable story. Hoping for the next game to redeem the franchise.

Last edited:

Danjin44

and then it turned out to be some Persona inspired weeb crap about pop idols.
From gameplay perspective, it doesn't have much common with Persona, in fact it barrows elements from Strange Journey and Nocturne more than Persona.

Last edited:
Top Bottom