• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disco Elysium |OT| A worthy Planescape: Torment successor

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished! What a great time that was.

I do leave a bit unsatisfied with how the final part of the game played out after the Tribunal. I may go back to an old save before that part at some point and see if I can handle it in a different way and change how things progress from there.

Simply excellent writing! I sure hope these guys do something in this vein again soon.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I started up a new game right after I finished it and made a character that was the polar opposite of what I played on my first run. Was trying to be a dumb-as-rocks bruiser with all physical attributes and skills, but an hour and a half in and the experience has been mostly identical. Kind of sucks, honestly, and is sort of wiping away the veneer of openness I had from my first playthrough. Not sure if I'm going to play much more if it really does pigeon-hole you into basically the same path with only minor dialogue differences.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I started up a new game right after I finished it and made a character that was the polar opposite of what I played on my first run. Was trying to be a dumb-as-rocks bruiser with all physical attributes and skills, but an hour and a half in and the experience has been mostly identical. Kind of sucks, honestly, and is sort of wiping away the veneer of openness I had from my first playthrough. Not sure if I'm going to play much more if it really does pigeon-hole you into basically the same path with only minor dialogue differences.
Weird - I had a first aborted playthrough that went very differently to my second that went start to finish.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Weird - I had a first aborted playthrough that went very differently to my second that went start to finish.

I played a bit more and it's thankfully starting to diverge more! The game definitely seems to funnel you into all of the important story beats, so I'm not expecting much variability in those moments, but I'm enjoying seeing how things play out differently with another set of skills.

One thing I forgot to mention, but it really bothers me how they gave Kitsuragi's voice actor a stereotypical "Asian" accent, when his background story is all about how he's a native to Revachol.

Terenty

I played a bit more and it's thankfully starting to diverge more! The game definitely seems to funnel you into all of the important story beats, so I'm not expecting much variability in those moments, but I'm enjoying seeing how things play out differently with another set of skills.

One thing I forgot to mention, but it really bothers me how they gave Kitsuragi's voice actor a stereotypical "Asian" accent, when his background story is all about how he's a native to Revachol.

The game is great, but the RP system(METRIC as they call it) is rather shallow. As it largely depends on the written text, naturally, some skills are much more fleshed out compared to the others.

If you play Psy, Motorics and some INT skills you will see 80% of all content. I played such a character and had all 100 tasks in my journal( completed 98).

Choice and consequence is superficial and Thought Cabinet is almost non existence dialogue wise.

Hope the next game they will be able to pull off what Disco Elysium was supposed to be.

Last edited:

Teslerum

They must have done that on purpose. All the outrage about them allegedly supporting communism and now they call their update "Working class"? :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Eh. no? It fits.

They're dirtbag left like the Chapo Trap House podcast. (Who they are friends with and its members are in the game btw. as voice actors)

Jokes like these are right on their money. They're still as left as you can get, just a different direction than SJWs or others you'd normally associate. As a comparison think really decent comedians/satirists.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Just started my first play through this morning as I was not ready mentally to return to work. The writing really lives up to the hype. I'm quite enjoying the lack of combat as I'm about halfway through Wasteland 3.

Is there a hard end if too much time passes in the game? It feels dumb to have a clock ticking while I'm spending so much time digging into the story & world. I don't want to wind up at an impasse because I am enjoying the flavor text.

HotPocket69

Banned
Goddammit I thought the bump was for the console release.

Thanks a heap Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage
GNs9loI.png

Just started my first play through this morning as I was not ready mentally to return to work. The writing really lives up to the hype. I'm quite enjoying the lack of combat as I'm about halfway through Wasteland 3.

Is there a hard end if too much time passes in the game? It feels dumb to have a clock ticking while I'm spending so much time digging into the story & world. I don't want to wind up at an impasse because I am enjoying the flavor text.

No time limit, at least I don't remember any choices having such. Feel free to take your time.

Compsiox

Banned
And that's why we can't have nice things. Pay up you cheapskate - it's worth it.
I found a nice thing that basically launched on gamepass:messenger_winking::messenger_winking:

I can totally understand someone not wanting to pay full price for a VN but I am sure that you can pick it up for half price in a few months. Unless you're on Switch :messenger_loudly_crying:

Vasili2K38

I began a playthrough in PC, but I'm waiting the DE patch to play again from the beginning. Its a great game, and really different from the usual market trends from today.

Top Bottom