• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disco Elysium The Final Cut [OT] I Am The Law

Arun1910

I picked this game up yesterday for no reason other than I was bored and I love it. I've never played this type of game before but the dialogue/skills are so in depth that it's keeping me engaged

HotPocket69

Banned
Any word on Patch 1.2? Discord has gone weirdly quiet :/

Im assuming it’s taking longer than usual because there’s more stuff to fix than they thought. The Twitter feed over the patch has people complaining about a few key moments that are bugged making them unable to progress (the car stuck on the coast is a biggie that everyone seems to be getting).

Did they not test this shit before putting it out there? Christ what a bummer for whats supposed to be a “masterpiece.”

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Im assuming it’s taking longer than usual because there’s more stuff to fix than they thought. The Twitter feed over the patch has people complaining about a few key moments that are bugged making them unable to progress (the car stuck on the coast is a biggie that everyone seems to be getting).

Did they not test this shit before putting it out there? Christ what a bummer for whats supposed to be a “masterpiece.”

They had to have noticed more broken things, thus it taking longer. Otherwise it was pretty lame almost 5 days ago to announce a patch coming in the next couple days

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
1.2 is getting loaded with the car fix now I'd say, hence the delay, and some those other big fixes being experienced by nearly everyone lol.

Some update would go a long way, People Can Fly.

SAVE OFTEN!

The autosave doesnt seem to happen often and I just learned the hard way lol.

Also does time move consistently at all times or is it after actions? Left my pc while I was mid convo for like 20 minutes and forgot that time was a thing

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
SAVE OFTEN!

The autosave doesnt seem to happen often and I just learned the hard way lol.

Also does time move consistently at all times or is it after actions? Left my pc while I was mid convo for like 20 minutes and forgot that time was a thing
As far as i know time passes just in conversations or when you read a book.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Been a long time since I felt the constant urge to play a game. This is that game.
I am Disco Elysium and I have done this.

Is that constant urge coming from a specific aspect of the game or rather a culmination of several? In any case, would it perhaps be possible to explain to me/us what it exactly is that entices that urge? If not, that's ok as well, ofcourse.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It's a really good game.
If the devs weren't commie cunts, I'd actually pay money for it.

I take it you research every creators political stance how nuanced, complex, and dynamic their internal reasoning within a specific timeframe context was during the times they made said content you chose to experience?

I know I do
Tom Cruise GIF

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
I take it you research every creators political stance how nuanced, complex, and dynamic their internal reasoning within a specific timeframe context was during the times they made said content you chose to experience?

I know I do
Tom Cruise GIF
I don't.
I just don't support those that spouse their support for a genocidal ideology live on-stage where millions of people are watching.

I've said it before, but I doubt any developer would have gotten away with shouting out Nietzsche and Hegel at the game awards while "ironically" tweeting out a picture of Hitler hanging on the wall.

packy34

I don't.
I just don't support those that spouse their support for a genocidal ideology live on-stage where millions of people are watching.
I take it you aren't very far in the game yet. DE is extremely critical of communism (and capitalism, and centrism, and political apathy... but I digress). The people who made this game are obviously acutely aware of the past failings and atrocities of communist states. But, because ideas are more complex than just saying something like "Stalin bad, gulag bad", some of them still think Marx made some good points.

brian0057

Banned
I take it you aren't very far in the game yet. DE is extremely critical of communism (and capitalism, and centrism, and political apathy... but I digress). The people who made this game are obviously acutely aware of the past failings and atrocities of communist states. But, because ideas are more complex than just saying something like "Stalin bad, gulag bad", some of them still think Marx made some good points.
That's great.
I like the game so far.
Maybe if it wasn't for those pesky millions of lives lost (some of which were in my country) because of those "complex ideas", I might agree with you (and the devs) that Marx "made some good points".

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I don't.

I’d rather be fed political ideologies I’m ignorant on and could learn something about (whether I see eye to eye or don’t) than have forced diversity quotas shoved in my face which it seems every game does nowadays.

Well in no way I'm personally versed enough into the subject matter (politics) Coupled with no real oversight and in depth retrospective analysis of said matter regarding your statement saying it being sympathetic towards genocidal ideologies I feel I have the option to disregard those sympathies when it's brought up in gameplay. Then again I'm fairly early into the game somewhat. For me the whole experience has been about a soul who due to past choices has to function within a abyss of self destruction not many on this board are familiar with.

Edit: I see it's as personal for you as it is for me <3

Btw in no way I wanted to to dismiss your initial comment. It's just that's it's sometimes difficult to make out the difference between a take made out of reaction instead of one with reasoning behind it <3

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
How did such a cringey game get this much hype, is it all simps loving this shit? Pseudo-intellects? The dialog options are so fucking cringe sometimes, this one about the character being mad about the boss asking the waitress(which is the wrong thing) out because he's a feminist and then that allows you to get a perk about feminism. Then the again with the "child labor"(kid is helping bring customers into a store) then the free market shit... Does this trash dialog continue or is this just at the early part of the game?

Last edited:
Is that constant urge coming from a specific aspect of the game or rather a culmination of several? In any case, would it perhaps be possible to explain to me/us what it exactly is that entices that urge? If not, that's ok as well, ofcourse.
It is the writing really. And no forced combat. It's just a relaxed experience. The world building. Not necessarily the story itself but the sum of its fragments.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
How did such a cringey game get this much hype, is it all simps loving this shit? Pseudo-intellects? The dialog options are so fucking cringe sometimes, this one about the character being mad about the boss asking the waitress(which is the wrong thing) out because he's a feminist and then that allows you to get a perk about feminism. Then the against child labor because of the free market shit... Does this trash dialog continue or is this just at the early part of the game?

Why am i playing this POS "game" anyways. You're above this pandering shit and you know it. You knew it the moment you were born. Feigning validation for your Inherently true observation only entertains you as long as the time takes you to climax taking your morning shower. Let them be. Let them enjoy. You know better.

Exp + 5

Autosave....

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
"Fucking skeptical Kim" he thought. "Makes perfect sense" my mind concludes from the inter-internal take it's made..There's nothing wrong with creating different thought-paths he thinks, meanwhile realizing the reaction he would get saying it out loud. Best to keep it to myself, sure I'm crazy, but a least I'm crazy in solitaire

My apologies. Got carried away

Last edited:

thatJohann

I'm frigging stuck on the room where
you talk to that union boss guy, Evrart Claire. I finished the conversation with him. And I'm supposed to leave the room but I can't walk (or find) to the door, almost like an invisible wall is preventing me from reaching it. Or maybe it's Kim getting in the way. Regardless, I tried holding L1 to see all highlightable objects but all I see that I can interact with is Claire and Kim, which makes me think I have to walk to a door...

Any clues?

Last edited:

tommycronin

How did such a cringey game get this much hype, is it all simps loving this shit? Pseudo-intellects? The dialog options are so fucking cringe sometimes, this one about the character being mad about the boss asking the waitress(which is the wrong thing) out because he's a feminist and then that allows you to get a perk about feminism. Then the against child labor because of the free market shit... Does this trash dialog continue or is this just at the early part of the game?
2ohZYtI.jpg

packy34

I'm frigging stuck on the room where
you talk to that union boss guy, Evrart Claire. I finished the conversation with him. And I'm supposed to leave the room but I can't walk (or find) to the door, almost like an invisible wall is preventing me from reaching it. Or maybe it's Kim getting in the way. Regardless, I tried holding L1 to see all highlightable objects but all I see that I can interact with is Claire and Kim, which makes me think I have to walk to a door...

Any clues?
I'm sure you've figured it out by now, but to put it simply, that room is very strangely designed. You have to go to the left and around to exit the room.

How did such a cringey game get this much hype, is it all simps loving this shit? Pseudo-intellects? The dialog options are so fucking cringe sometimes, this one about the character being mad about the boss asking the waitress(which is the wrong thing) out because he's a feminist and then that allows you to get a perk about feminism. Then the again with the "child labor"(kid is helping bring customers into a store) then the free market shit... Does this trash dialog continue or is this just at the early part of the game?
It's an actual role-playing game, not a new-age AAA "RPG" that just has skill trees and numbers that go up. The dialog options are weird and varied so you can play your character in a variety of different ways. You don't have to internalize the thought perks either if you don't think they fit with your character build.

Last edited:

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I’m still not exactly sure “how” to play this game properly in terms of its various systems (thought cabinet?) and some of the dialogue drones on (measurehead race dialogue was a struggle) but overall I’m enjoying the deep investigative aspect of the games characters and story.

thatJohann

I'm sure you've figured it out by now, but to put it simply, that room is very strangely designed. You have to go to the left and around to exit the room.

It's an actual role-playing game, not a new-age AAA "RPG" that just has skill trees and numbers that go up. The dialog options are weird and varied so you can play your character in a variety of different ways. You don't have to internalize the thought perks either if you don't think they fit with your character build.
Yup I figured it out. It was def an error on my part. Couldn’t tell where the exit was due to isometric view.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Where’s my fucking patch
I dont even have this yet and their radio silence is getting on my nerves after promising a patch "in a couple days" 5 days ago.

If youre delaying it to fix more things, fine, just say so....not saying anything at all is lame

Last edited:

Nico_D

Ran into both the sand castle and the car bug last night. I could keep moving on until the patch is released though, love the game. The writing is so good.

ToadMan

I haven’t seen any bug/controller/FPS issues yet on PS5. Which makes me wonder why some people seem to be unable to play the thing at all. Yeah loading times are longer than they should be but not totally obnoxious.

But beyond that - yeah this is a difficult game to love. I mean there’re graphics but 90% of my time seems to be spent skim reading a boring black panel of text while spamming skip dialogue mid way through the voice over. I don’t want to waste my life listening to people talking slowly.

And then occasionally there are die rolls for .... something .... often coupled with some dialog annotated with ... something. There’re titles like Logic or Savoire Faire. Sadly so far the game hasn’t bothered to mention in the endless stream of internal dialogue text what any of these things are for or why I should care. They can be levelled up though! Yay?

And then you die due to talking - the snowiest of snowflakes, imagine how such a person would survive on GAF if they’re so thin skinned - and lose about 15 minutes of time restarting from your last save if you remembered to save. If you didn’t remember you probably lose an hour due to auto save.

All that to listen to a middle age man grumble about the world and have doubts about how he lived/lives his life.

You can get a similar experience in any bar mid afternoon, and have that discussion in real life without pressing X.

10/10 would skip midlife crisis dialogue again.

Last edited:
I haven’t seen any bug/controller/FPS issues yet on PS5. Which makes me wonder why some people seem to be unable to play the thing at all. Yeah loading times are longer than they should be but not totally obnoxious.

But beyond that - yeah this is a difficult game to love. I mean there’re graphics but 90% of my time seems to be spent skim reading a boring black panel of text while spamming skip dialogue mid way through the voice over. I don’t want to waste my life listening to people talking slowly.

And then occasionally there are die rolls for .... something .... often coupled with some dialog annotated with ... something. There’re titles like Logic or Savoire Faire. Sadly so far the game hasn’t bothered to mention in the endless stream of internal dialogue text what any of these things are for or why I should care. They can be levelled up though! Yay?

And then you die due to talking - the snowiest of snowflakes, imagine how such a person would survive on GAF if they’re so thin skinned - and lose about 15 minutes of time restarting from your last save if you remembered to save. If you didn’t remember you probably lose an hour due to auto save.

All that to listen to a middle age man grumble about the world and have doubts about how he lived/lives his life.

You can get a similar experience in any bar mid afternoon, and have that discussion in real life without pressing X.

10/10 would skip midlife crisis dialogue again.
Why don't you simply stop playing the game? It's obviously not for you. Don't force yourself or u gonna get frustrated even more. Go play some pew pew.

Con-Z-epT

The frame rate is unstable and far away from a locked 60fps. I don't mind but i can see it.
The voice over is not playing quite often. It wasn't so frequent in the beginning but it happens all the time now.
The initial interaction with objects or NPC often doesn't trigger and i have to do it again.
As if the game wants a double click with the controller.

I had no game breaking bugs but i'm not that far into the game.
It is part of the narrative and character development.
Some of your inner monologue can lead to you discovering important information wich then will give you better options in dialogs.
This is in correlation to the skills you choose in the beginning and the ones you upgrade the most.

You should care because it is your character. You choose what happens.
I think they handled dying really good. It is often unexpected and sometimes even funny. Without it the game would loose a lot of tension.
Autosaves could be more frequent. Nothing an update couldn't fix. Bit in the end it is your fault for not saving.

You don't seem to understand or enjoy the game. Why are you playing it?

I am now a mega racist and traditionalist after conversing race theory with a towering giant.
Also has bad health but loves to smoke ciggies before interviewing people. But god damn am i a supercop that solves crime.

I’m still not exactly sure “how” to play this game properly in terms of its various systems (thought cabinet?) and some of the dialogue drones on (measurehead race dialogue was a struggle) but overall I’m enjoying the deep investigative aspect of the games characters and story.

Yep that guy. The problem with his dialogue is that they throw so many names and places at you with no further info on where these people live with respect to Ravachol that it becomes overwhelming. The whole game would be like 10 times easier to follow if they included a codex like every other western rpg.

Con-Z-epT

The game has a lot more to offer than what your assessment suggests.

It is very superficial to judge the narratives and representations of the game so short-sightedly and does not do it justice in any way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom