• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Discord to begin rolling out username changes

cormack12

Gold Member
Guess this was inevitable given the increasing use of crossplay and console integration. What's interesting is Microsoft adopted the #nnnn format as well.

Source: https://discord.com/blog/usernames

TL;DR: Discord usernames are changing to remove four-digit discriminators. Display Names are being added so how you appear to other users stays the same. We will be assigning priority to choose your new username based on when you registered for Discord, Nitro status, and ownership of partner and verified servers.

The whole point of these changes is that we want to make it a lot easier for you and all the new users coming to Discord to connect and hang out with friends. And as Discord’s Co-Founder, I wanted to talk about these changes personally. We know that your username and identity are important, and we understand that some of you may not like this change and disagree with it. We know that this is an issue you feel strongly about.

As Discord has grown and friending has become more popular, more problems have emerged. The technical and product debt we incurred years ago caught up with us and small issues that seemed to impact a few people started affecting tens of millions of people. The biggest problem: our current usernames can often be too complicated or obscure for people to remember and share easily.

After we transition over the course of this year, everyone will have:

1) A unique alphanumeric username without a discriminator, such as “@phibi”. Think of this merely as a technical necessity. This username will be used only for connecting with other users (friending) and telling users apart when you check their profiles. They’ll be limited to lowercase characters (a-z), numbers (0-9) and two special characters (period and underscore). They’ll be much easier to remember, verbalize and share with your friends. You’ll be able to continue to change your username, but not too frequently.

2) A non-unique Display Name that can include just about anything (as long as it adheres to our Community Guidelines), including special characters, spaces, emojis and non-Latin characters. Your new Display Name will be how you primarily appear and will be your most prominent form of identity. Think of this as your main name. You will be able to change your Display Name whenever you want, even minute to minute.

By default, your new Display Name will be your old username without the discriminator, so your friends continue to recognize you. So if you used to be “PhiBi#8936”, your new default Display Name will be “PhiBi”. Here’s an example:

64518d84d0229443603ed634_53489983.png

During the transition, all Discord users will be asked to choose a new username, and access will roll out slowly over the course of several months. We want to be particularly considerate of longtime Discord users who have had their usernames for quite awhile, so we will be assigning priority to choose your new username based on when you registered for Discord.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
March 2016 and on Nitro basic for festival season video uploads. Wonder if I can snag just my first name + last initial.

Efe

First time I've seen something going back to unique names from already established discriminators. TBH I hate discriminators but changing that to unique after several years doesn't seem to be very clever.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Sounds like regression to me. But what do I know.. will be interesting to see if there's enough annoyance to challenge it.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

During the transition, all Discord users will be asked to choose a new username, and access will roll out slowly over the course of several months.
So, what if someone takes my username and I don't have access to the "change username" function? Do I just loose my account, or will they assign an account an arbitrary username?

LoveCake

This is the stupidest thing Discord could have done.
If anyone feels this is a bad move then post in the Discord support site is all that can be done, there are already loads of posts in there, also contact them on Twitter.

This is the stupidest thing Discord could have done.
If anyone feels this is a bad move then post in the Discord support site is all that can be done, there are already loads of posts in there, also contact them on Twitter.
Why do you feel this is a stupid move? What is the argument being made?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I tried couple of times get in to Discord but I always end up falling off from it. It’s seems gaming forums like GAF is the only “social media” I’m comfortable using.

I tried couple of times get in to Discord but I always end up falling off from it. It’s seems gaming forums like GAF is the only “social media” I’m comfortable using.
Discord works best when it's friends, family, and people you've met online in a server together, and you're basically using it for group messages. It's honestly the most "social" form of social media. Public discord servers are nothing like that, though.

Danjin44

Discord works best when it's friends, family, and people you've met online in a server together, and you're basically using it for group messages. It's honestly the most "social" form of social media. Public discord servers are nothing like that, though.
That’s thing with me, with friends and family I rather talk to them in person or on the phone and don’t play MP games to make online friends and don’t really care for that. The only reason I’m come to place like GAF is get news and talk about games.

I guess I’m not much in to socializing with people online. Coming here to talk about games is more than enough for me.

Fuz

Banned
Yeah, same. I don't understand it and how it works, feels convoluted AF... maybe I'm too old for this shit, but it feels just like a (much) worse IRC.

Discord groups are always the same.

There are a group of powerusers/power jannies who reign over their fiefdom basking in attention from other basement dwellers while grooming underage users.

Discord itself also has shitty UX. God forbid you try to go to a Q&A section and ask a question that's been asked 6 months ago because those same powerusers will passive aggressively tell you you're asking something that's been answered already even though it's not true. The subject was never answered and now you're stuck trying to scroll through a year's worth of drama posts to find the answer to your question.

Basically what I'm saying is that discord is for pedos and weird nerds with mean girl syndrome.

Tams

Another forum I frequent shutdown and the community had a debate add to what to do next.

In the end a member set up another forum, as all the alternatives just don't work for long form and/or sporadic content and information.

Discord, Reddit, etc. despite having conversation history, are more 'live'/'in the moment' in their designs. If you aren't there when the conversation is happening, it's really hard to catch up on what's happening.

Hence why forums are still around.

Anyway, fuck Discord for using shitty fucking Electron. Absolute pig of a programme.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Discord, Reddit, etc. despite having conversation history, are more 'live'/'in the moment' in their designs. If you aren't there when the conversation is happening, it's really hard to catch up on what's happening.
That’s actually very good point, unless you in discord all the time it’s hard too keep up with any conversations.

Tams

That’s actually very good point, unless you in discord all the time it’s hard too keep up with any conversations.

Touching on what others have said here: Discord automatically goes to the newest message, making have a debate/looking conversation a right pain.

It's been mentioned for years on their support forums and they seem to have fuck all intention of changing it.

Fuz

Banned
Touching on what others have said here: Discord automatically goes to the newest message, making have a debate/looking conversation a right pain.

It's been mentioned for years on their support forums and they seem to have fuck all intention of changing it.
Ah, then it's not me being stupid AF...

nial

Gold Member
It's fine for chatting with friends online, not necessarily about gaming stuff.

LoveCake

Just had the notice to change mine, I managed to get the one I wanted (the one I had already) luckily.

This is such a bad idea, surprised they went through with it after the huge backlash.

Top Bottom