• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Discussion: Is The Nintendo Switch the successor to both the Wii U and the 3DS line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

Is The Nintendo Switch the successor to both the Wii U and the 3DS line?
Warning controversial opinions and thoughts below. Approach with caution!

there-can-be-only-one-quote-2.jpg

This is a question that I have been asking myself since the Nintendo Switch was first unveiled to the world two months ago.

I believe in order for the Nintendo Switch to be a success, Nintendo needs to combine their 3DS development teams with their Wii U development teams. In fact I thought this was the whole point of making the Switch a portable/console hybrid. If Nintendo isn't planning on quietly taking the 3DS out back and putting a bullet into the back of it's ageing head while nobody is looking then they have effectively created a scenario where a Nintendo system will be directly competing with another Nintendo system. Is there really a need for two portable Nintendo consoles with differently libraries at the same time?

I believe by taking the some gamble of promoting the Switch as not only the successor to their previous home consoles but also a successor to the 3DS that Nintendo has an opportunity to get a lot of those 3DS only owners to make the switch (see what I did there?). Combining platforms as I thought was their plan would likely help create a much larger user base for the Switch and a much larger library of software if ALL of Nintendo's development teams were working on the same hardware. More hardware sales would mean much higher sales for Nintendo titles and a larger revenue stream for Nintendo not to mention everyone will have access to all of the Nintendo titles that they want to play.

Make no mistake, I own a 3DS and I feel like Nintendo has done a much better job with the 3DS then the Wii U but if given the choice between more 3DS games or more games on the Switch's beefier hardware then I would definitely prefer the latter.

It is a gamble to completely denounce the 3DS line in favor of an all-in-one solution such as the Rift but I am confident that between big games like Zelda and mobile games like Pokemon being released frequently on the Switch will greatly boost console sales at a exceedingly fast pace. Pokemon is a huge hitter and a LOT of handheld gamers would quickly snap up a Switch if that was the only means to play the next great annual Pokemon release.

Mixed Messages:

Nintendo has been completely unclear on their intentions with making the Switch the successor to the 3DS/portable line and I have come up with these possible conclusions:

-Nintendo wants to slowly phase out the 3DS as it's still quite profitable and popular for them.
-Nintendo wants to wait awhile to see how well the Switch performs before phasing out the 3DS.
-Nintendo themselves may not be confident that the Switch will be a success and therefore don't want to kill off the 3DS line just yet until they see how well the Switch performs.

The Bottom Line: Nintendo has a real chance here to revamp their products and potentially sticking with a console/portable hybrid from here on out. I am a huge fan of the concept and since Nintendo has never put a huge focus on visuals since the early days of their console making, I am completely find with this approach.

Having both portability and home console functionality in one system allows for a lot more content across a singular platform meaning less need for different hardware.

The Switch appears to be designed for easier and faster upgrades. I could see a Switch 2 arriving 4-5 years from now with a newer iteration of Tegra but retaining backwards compatibility with Switch 1 titles. This is all theoretical of course but it seems like this would be much easier to do. Hard to know for sure.

Nintendo really needs to come out by E3 and discuss their intentions with the Switch in regards to whether or not it's replacing the 3DS or not.

Their online plans are interesting because they essentially want to create an entire online service much similar to Xbox Live and PlayStation Network via an app that will likely be carried over to future Nintendo consoles. So instead of rebooting the online software every single generation, Nintendo can more or less carry the online platform over from one system to the next. Nintendo's online system will probably launch with some issues and complaints from consumers but once Nintendo figures things out and learns more from their mistakes and consumers, I could see this online phone app becoming a pretty solid online platform. It will take some time to get there.

Final Thoughts:

If Nintendo plans on keeping the 3DS line around, I feel like it will diminish some of the "point" of the Switch as well as continue to eat away at potential Switch hardware and game sales. If Nintendo Switch becomes the primary home AND portable console then I think the Switch has a real chance at being a success. However if this isn't Nintendo's plan and they continue pushing the 3DS then I am not as confident that the Switch will ultimately be a success. I think it will perform better then the Wii U regardless of Nintendo's strategy but it won't be a "success" unless Nintendo positions it as the only Nintendo hardware you need to play both console and portable games.

The ball is in Nintendo's court...

So what about you guys? Do you think the Switch will eventually replace their portable market completely or will Nintendo keep the 3DS platform around? Would you guys prefer this or prefer keeping the 3DS around?

Platy

Yes. Anyone considering otherwise is just delusional.

Just because they didn't mercy killed the 3ds like the WiiU does not mean it is not the sucessor. Hell, they already announced a fire emblem for it =P

sajj316

I've said this before .. yes. Nintendo's new home and portable machine is the Switch. As a portable machine, it's a huge generational leap.

Coming 2018 .. it's one platform.

C.Mongler

Yes. The Wii U is dead come March 3rd. The 3DS will slowly be phased out; I don't expect it to make it any further than mid 2018 as a very liberal estimate. I feel like Nintendo will maybe announce one or two more first party titles, and a handful of third party/indies for the thing at E3, and then that's the last of it.

Linkified

Yes it would have to replace both as its a hybrid console. Otherwise there literally was no point of them making the home aspect portable.

Yes. The Wii U is dead come 2016. The 3DS will slowly be phased out; I don't expect it to make it any further than mid 2018 as a very liberal estimate. I feel like Nintendo will maybe announce one or two more first party titles, and a handful of third party/indies for the thing at E3, and then that's the last of it.

FTFY

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Yes, but Nintendo won't try to sell it that way until they see some sales and can put out a hardware revision tailored to portability.

sajj316

Only if it succeeds. If it fails miserably they'll release a cheaper handheld.

A $199 scaled down portable Switch seems likely. It would launch and already have titles to play on the go. In my opinion, it's a logical decision. Even if the Switch failed.

If the home console Switch fails .. the portable Switch would be a shot of adrenaline

Snakeyes

Not quite. I think the Switch is the basis for all their future hardware and software, but not a complete replacement for more specialized stationary or portable devices.

-Nintendo wants to slowly phase out the 3DS as it's still quite profitable and popular for them.
-Nintendo wants to wait awhile to see how well the Switch performs before phasing out the 3DS.
-Nintendo themselves may not be confident that the Switch will be a success and therefore don't want to kill off the 3DS line just yet until they see how well the Switch performs.

That's exactly what's happening here. The folks who suddenly think the 3DS is going to have a major amount of first-party support for years to come because an E-Shop only remake of an old-ass Fire Emblem running on an existing engine got announced are delusional.

Yes, the Switch will replace both the Wii U and 3DS, but the hybrid version of the Switch isn't intended to be their 3DS replacement.

Sendou

This is their eco-system now. Whether this particular device is succesful remains to be seen but the library will live on with future devices. This would match what Iwata described in the past (iPad/iPhone comparision).

Crazyorloco

No, it's a home console.

Nintendo is going to be in serious trouble if this console replaces both systems.

Yup. If you listen to all the advertising they have been doing - they always say it's a home console that you can take with you outside.

3DS is here to stay. We'll see a successor sooner rather than later if the Switch fails.

No, it's a home console. Here's the official PR for Fire Emblem on the Switch:

Fire Emblem is coming to Nintendo Switch: For the first time since Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn on Wii in 2008, a new entry in the Fire Emblem series is being developed for a Nintendo home system with the ability to also be played portably! The new game is scheduled to launch in 2018. Nintendo Switch goes on sale 3rd March, and lets players take their home console games with them wherever they go. Software is sold separately.

Regardless of what people think the Switch is, Nintendo see's it as their next home console. That's what they're positioning it as and that's what it is, portability or not. Not to mention it doubles down on the concept of the Wii U.

sajj316

Yup. If you listen to all the advertising they have been doing - they always say it's a home console that you can take with you outside.

3DS is here to stay. We'll see a successor sooner rather than later if the Switch fails.

Why would they market it as a portable console when they have one in the market still selling reasonably well? 3DS is here to stay for 2017 but say good bye in 2018.

Neoxon

It is, though Nintendo wants to squeeze out all the money they can out of the 3DS. Assuming that Pokémon Stars is indeed real & a Switch-exclusive, that'll be the first sign of handheld games jumping ship to the Switch.

Of course, if the Switch bombs, Nintendo kinda left themselves an out by not outright saying that the Switch is replacing the 3DS right now (though I'd kinda expect them to do a pure-portable Switch that's sold for cheap in this scenario). Though if the Switch does well, expect the 3DS to fade away like the GBA did when the DS began to print money.

javadoze

Yes.

Also, at the current moment, there's no reason for them to support WiiU any further while the 3DS still has some life left in it yet.

FZZ

Banned
They need Pokémon on it

I don't understand why Nintendo and game freak don't realize it'll be guaranteed to hit 50 mil worldwide if they do that

kswiston

Yes. Unless it flops.

They need Pokémon on it

I don't understand why Nintendo and game freak don't realize it'll be guaranteed to hit 50 mil worldwide if they do that

Pokemon that isn't F2P on devices that everyone owns isn't THAT big. look at sales on the DS.

4Tran

That's sort of the entire point of making the Switch a hybrid, so I don't know what there is to discuss.

No, it's a home console. Here's the official PR for Fire Emblem on the Switch:
Why in the world would you try to use PR as an argument? Why would you even assume that it's being truthful?

Neoxon

They need Pokémon on it

If Eurogamer's sources are on the money, Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, & Game Freak already know this. It likely wasn't revealed last week because of both The Pokémon Company not wanting to share the spotlight & how recently Sun/Moon came out.

Baleoce

It absolutely is to the Wii U. Switch is an evolution / stepping stone of its design, and they confirmed that 1st party games are stopping for Wii U after BotW. At worst, the Switch is just going to be a better and more refined Wii U. And that's even if it tanks, which hopefully it does not. 3DS is a different kettle of fish. Reggie says that has a long life left in it. I think he oversold that particular pitch, but that's what he's paid to do. It probably has prospects in the short term. Maybe they'll test the waters after Switch has been out for half a year or so, and monitor 3DS games that are being released and see if they hit their initial targets or not to decide on future releases. Maybe they'll even be able to use sales data to see how many 3DS users have adopted / moved onto the Switch. It's ambiguous with the 3DS, because it probably depends to a certain extent on how well the Switch launch, adoption rate and momentum going forward is.

Kureransu

I wonder that as well, the way i see it, this switch could be one of the most versatile consoles we've ever experienced. There is so much potential that i hope Ninty really see this through. It could replace the 3Ds (WiiU is a given), and introduce a HUGE variety of software for the system.

Games for the 3ds with (perhaps) lower budgets and not as high of visual fidelity could still have a place on the Switch. Honestly i wouldn't be surprised if mobile developers don't also develop for switch (hoping that the IR on the joycon could replace touch if you want to play docked).

Having all that variety of software and pricing creating a very robust ecosystem of games and price points. The E-shop would have to be top notch to handle this, though. I can see people out and about just browsing the shop in tablet mode looking for quick impulse buys or seeing just what's out there. I pretty much feel like the switch could be a mobile version of steam with the array of games that it lends itself to. But this is BEST case scenario and I could be missing key points that disallows all i think that could be, but that's the excite ment of new systems and idea. It's when reality sets in that we all get let down lol.

Ogodei

There's always been more overlap in their handheld space. 3DS having a decently robust 2017 is no different than things like Pokemon Black and White 2 and Pokemon Conquest coming out for DS in 2012, or Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones coming out for GBA in the fall of 2005.

It's definitely a successor to both (unless it really bombs *fast*).

Type40

If it does well and is successful in the fall, then 3DS will be killed the following spring. If it meanders, they'll make a new portable only unit.

I hope not. I'm not looking forward to a world where the only option for playing new handheld games that aren't on my phone is a device so large that it can't fit in my pocket and so fragile that it needs a carrying case so the screen doesn't get destroyed while I'm transporting it. And then maybe I'll have to use my phone with it anyway since they seem to be putting a lot of the functionality into smartphone apps.

Zeppelino

Neo Member
Yes, that's the main point of the concept, portable and home console in one.
Coming to think of it, I'm starting to believe that Nintendo is having this "home console on the go" talk instead of the more advantageous "portable with home console capabilities" simply because they don't want to alienate the bigger 3DS user base just now. Perhaps because they still have one or two projects for it.

Yes. In two years they will release a slimmed down, smaller screen, exact same hardware (but on a lower 10nm silicon process for power savings) handheld - only version. But the exact same hardware, playing the exact same games.

* The above is only my opinion.

Why in the world would you try to use PR as an argument? Why would you even assume that it's being truthful?

What? Every time Nintendo talk about Switch, they refer to it as their new home console. That PR for Fire Emblem Switch is just one of many examples. I don't know what you're even trying to say here.

I thought it was pretty obvious. The whole point of the Switch is to combine all their games on one platform. Was anyone expecting another dedicated handheld after this?

I'm sure this has been mentioned already but long time Nintendo fans will remeber the "third piller" interview where Nintendo said the DS is a third pillar alongside game boy and GameCube. When DS took off the dropped game boy completely.

I thought it was pretty obvious. The whole point of the Switch is to combine all their games on one platform. Was anyone expecting another dedicated handheld after this?

I think so.

We haven't seen any mobile franchises (outside of FE, which has flipped between home console and portable before) be announced for the switch.

Nintendo is still making games for the 3ds and they still refer to the Switch as a "home console".

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'd like for Nintendo to replace the 3DS with a lower-cost, smaller version of the switch that's more pocket friendly in the future.

Until they can make a properly sized handheld the 3DS is my "out of the house" gaming device.

Neoxon

I hope not. I'm not looking forward to a world where the only option for playing new handheld games that aren't on my phone is a device so large that it can't fit in my pocket and so fragile that it needs a carrying case so the screen doesn't get destroyed while I'm transporting it. And then maybe I'll have to use my phone with it anyway since they seem to be putting a lot of the functionality into smartphone apps.
To be fair, you can't really fit a 3DS XL in your pocket, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom