• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited (Vita) |OT| Ultimate Complete Definitive GOTY Edition

In the order they were released.
It will be hard going back to the older games after playing the newer ones.

D3Vita is still very playable. Disgaea2's postgame was even grindier than d1s when it came out and the PSP version of d2 did nothing to alleviate it, its probably the most luck dependent grind fest in the series. D1: PSP has glitch that let's you skip a looooot of grinding, D1:DS and D1 aren't as random as D2 but there's still a lot of things that can screw you over (the item world code is a lot less refined and its possible to get unsolvable levels) and its a looong grind without much in the way of shortcuts.

D4 was actually more grindy than D3(original or Vita) but the portable version is alleviating that significantly.

Lucent

Skipped it on ps3 for this.

Yeah, I should've done that. Actually, I should've known after Disgaea 3. They make so much DLC for those games since they hit PS3 and then the portable versions get it all for a cheap price. At least I skipped D2.

Hmm... I'm torn. I'd like the contents, but money's too tight right now to spend an extra $10 for the LE; at least, not if I want to get all of the games I'm pre-ordering, anyway.

Wish this wasn't 40 euros:\
I really want something to play on my vita but idk how much I'd enjoy more disgaea after already playing the shit out of disgaea 2 a year ago

Snakeyes

This seems like a good occasion to get back into the series. The only Disgaea game I beat so far was the DS port of the original.

as much as i love the series, i just can't seem to get into the console versions. so, yeah, i'm psyched - i've pretty much been waiting for this one since it was originally announced for the ps3 :) ...
Same here.

It looks beautiful on the PS3 with the new sprites, but I can't play it on consoles for some reason.

Handhelds are perfect for Disgaea.

Is the PS3 version good ? I sold my Vita like one week before the announcement v_v.

...and i'm kinda tempted to get another Vita if the changes are really important.

While I've never played this myself I've seen a lot of the story and thought it was hilarious. Certainly one of the funnier titles in the franchise.

While I've never played this myself I've seen a lot of the story and thought it was hilarious. Certainly one of the funnier titles in the franchise.
To me, that's good and bad. It's funny but the stories and character development are non-existant.

Most people play it for the addictive gameplay and customizable options.

Mononoke

Banned
Kind of tempted to just jump into the series with 4 (since people are saying it's much improved gameplay and design wise). Is the story so complex, that I couldn't just read up online up to 4?

Or are the other games THAT good, I should just just play them all in order? I've had this issue before with Persona. However, while I thought Persona 4 had the best gameplay/design, I thought the older games WERE that good (in terms of the story/overall design), they were all worth playing.

Lucent

Kind of tempted to just jump into the series with 4 (since people are saying it's much improved gameplay and design wise). Is the story so complex, that I couldn't just read up online up to 4?

Or are the other games THAT good, I should just just play them all in order? I've had this issue before with Persona. However, while I thought Persona 4 had the best gameplay/design, I thought the older games WERE that good (in terms of the story/overall design), they were all worth playing.

All of the Disgaea games are sort of like Persona in that you don't have to play them in order. Only D2 is a direct sequel to the first Disgaea. There are cameos from previous games that show up though. Actually, some characters like Axel kinda carry over. But honestly you can play them in any order or just Disgaea 4 and read the stories of the others if you wanna know.

With the exception of Disgaea D2 (which is a sequencel to Disgaea 1) each story is stand alone, with only cameo's from previous games as bonus bosses (Dis2 and D1 portable remakes) or Postgame content (D3/D4/DD2 and remakes), so there's no need to be familiar with anything to play D4.

There are some minor exceptions in that a couple of characters from D1 plays a role in Dis2 story and a (different) couple of characters from D1 plays a role in D4's story but these appearances make sense in the context of the game without any need for playing Disgaea.

(PS: I hate Disgaea D2's name, it totally ruins the naming convention we've been using for years :p).

Lucent

(PS: I hate Disgaea D2's name, it totally ruins the naming convention we've been using for years :p).

Yeah, but they couldn't have called it Disgaea 5 really. Each numbered series had been about a different group of main characters, so they had to break it off somewhere. =P

Mononoke

Banned
Ah that's great! That actually makes me happy that each game (for the most part) is a stand alone story. I do understand why people suggest playing older games first (as the improved changes can make it harder to go back). But I honestly don't care about that. I've done that with Persona, and was fine.

Is there like overall lore/mythology that I should learn up on before jumping into 4? Or can I pretty much enjoy just as a newcomer?

Ah that's great! That actually makes me happy that each game (for the most part) is a stand alone story. I do understand why people suggest playing older games first (as the improved changes can make it harder to go back). But I honestly don't care about that. I've done that with Persona, and was fine.

Is there like overall lore/mythology that I should learn up on before jumping into 4? Or can I pretty much enjoy just as a newcomer?

the games are independent but characters from the previous games make cameos/are playable characters

on one hand there's some good stuff to be found in the older games but the game's are very much alike that if you played them back to back in a short amount of time you'll very much likely burn yourself out

Mononoke

Banned
the games are independent but characters from the previous games make cameos/are playable characters

on one hand there's some good stuff to be found in the older games but the game's are very much alike that if you played them back to back in a short amount of time you'll very much likely burn yourself out

I'll probably just jump into 4 then, and then go back to the older games months later. Thanks for the advice guys. I'll be getting this digitally on Tuesday. :D

This seems like a good occasion to get back into the series. The only Disgaea game I beat so far was the DS port of the original.

You blessed soul. I envy the kind of upgrade you're about to witness. It's going to be like if you'd been holding your head in a tank of ammonia for years, only to emerge from it to a beautiful garden with wonderful wistful maidens singing you to your slumber.

Seriously, night and day in terms of quality, all around.

You blessed soul. I envy the kind of upgrade you're about to witness. It's going to be like if you'd been holding your head in a tank of ammonia for years, only to emerge from it to a beautiful garden with wonderful wistful maidens singing you to your slumber.

Seriously, night and day in terms of quality, all around.

There is one slight disappointment, the Skill Upgrade system from D3 (and used in D4) basically makes DEF and RES (other than for healers) completely useless in the post game, because Offense surpasses Defense to a ridiculous extent (and Androids (Majiin replacements) are kind of useless rather than hideously overpowered). Apart from those 2 minor issues pretty much everything I can think of was improved.

If it helps D3 and D4 are the 'fastest' in the series to grind through thanks to exp/mana sharing mechanics and an item duplication glitch.
The bad news is that D1 still has the best story by far.

D3's duping is a deliberate mechanic I'm pretty sure (considering there were plenty of opportunities to patch it , including the Vita remake and it was never removed).

D4V has the easy dupe glitch pre-patched out (like the last patch of D4, though like that patch it also introduces infinite item god killing) but it introduces a duping method that's waaaaaaaaaaaay easier to do than even D3s (once you get a Puppy Paw Stick you can basically dupe at will).

anderedna

I got my copy last Thursday and I've spent my whole weekend playing this game; so much I could do in the game and I'm neglecting the main story. I'm sill in chapter 3 after like 3 days playing, spent too much time in leveling characters and items, and of course CoO. Unlocked THE grind mode CoO 4 while I'm still in chapter 2 thanks to the introduction of Cheat Shop(First introduced in Disgaea D2 IIRC, not in original D4 on PS3).

I'd say this game is really made for Vita, enjoying playing this game more than on PS3. Overall game is great but there are some stutter mainly in each 10 level of item world. Game slowed down quite a lot there as the map is quite huge, I don't think I experienced the same with Vita D3 tho. Other minor problem I accoutered in item world is the Mystery Gate loading time. This is due to some room require Internet connection(I believe it could be disabled). I was at continuous IW run, run into Mystery Gate and it then it goes blank, I waited for 15 seconds without any apparent activity and I thought the game hang, however after a few more seconds, the room loaded. Apparently the game connect to Internet and downloaded other players data. Game should have showed some loading message instead of pure black screen.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Played D2 for about 50 hours on my PSP many years ago and now I feel like playing one of these again.

eliochip

I'm gunna do the thing where I've played and disliked the game on ps3 but will get it on vita regardless thinking it will be a different experience

I know that these games are known for making it possible to grind to ridiculous levels, but is that optional? If I just wanted to see the story would I need to grind a ton? I played the first one but I don't remember anything about it and I probably didn't get very far.

cj_iwakura

I know that these games are known for making it possible to grind to ridiculous levels, but is that optional? If I just wanted to see the story would I need to grind a ton? I played the first one but I don't remember anything about it and I probably didn't get very far.

Totally optional. You can decimate the main game if you spend a couple hours in item world.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Really looking forward to the new additions of the cheat shop and the like from Disgaea D2, as well as the return of generic-specific class skills. Here's to hoping the Female Berserker still has the OP skill of being able to move twice for fast item/class world clears.

Also can't wait for someone to get a generic to 300% so we can all utilize them due to PPS nerfs :/

I may be double dippin, but at least I held off on buying DLC for the ps3 versions. Here's hoping the DLC generic classes are good.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
D4V has the easy dupe glitch pre-patched out (like the last patch of D4, though like that patch it also introduces infinite item god killing) but it introduces a duping method that's waaaaaaaaaaaay easier to do than even D3s (once you get a Puppy Paw Stick you can basically dupe at will).

I got out of D4 around the time the initial dupe method got fixed, mind spoilering/pm'ing me the details?

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Might wait for this to drop in price before picking it up. I only got around to playing the vanilla version of the game fairly recently, after getting back into the series with Disgaea D2 - but the addition of the cheat shop in this, as well as all the DLC and new features, is tempting.

Been interested in the series for a while but never played one. Realistically I know I won't play a second entry anytime soon even if I loved it, so what would series vets recommend between:

-This game for $40
-D4 on PS3 for ~$15 used
-DD2 on PS3 for $25

Sounds like Vita is preferable but it's not a huge deal for me and I already have tons of RPGs on Vita and 3DS. If the cheaper console entries are as good/refined then I might go with one of those. Gameplay is my primary interest, not story/characters (like Etrian Odyssey). Thanks for any suggestions.

Been interested in the series for a while but never played one. Realistically I know I won't play a second entry anytime soon even if I loved it, so what would series vets recommend between:

-This game for $40
-D4 on PS3 for ~$15 used
-DD2 on PS3 for $25

Sounds like Vita is preferable but it's not a huge deal for me and I already have tons of RPGs on Vita and 3DS. If the cheaper console entries are as good/refined then I might go with one of those. Gameplay is my primary interest, not story/characters (like Etrian Odyssey). Thanks for any suggestions.
Disgaea is much better portable so this one. Besides, it includes all of the DLC from the PS3 version adding even more to the game.

AniHawk

-This game for $40
-D4 on PS3 for ~$15 used
-DD2 on PS3 for $25

when disgaea goes handheld, it's pretty much the definitive version of the game, not unlike persona 4 golden.

Sora_N

I bought the PS3 LE version so long ago and haven't touched it or opened it, and now I can't even sell it but i'd rather have the Vita one so shit really sux lol.

ZeroAKA

I don't know why I still bother to buy console versions of Disgaea anymore when I spend way more time in the handheld ports.

It's too bad the Vita will be Sony's last handheld.

Top Bottom