• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 to feature prominent LGBT characters

J_Viper

So is this the latest fad and buzzword in games? It's not open world, it's not celebrity voice actors, it's not global illumination, it's not 1080p, it's not 60 fps, it's LGBT characters? I mean, if Dishonoured was about LGBT people then sure. But I have the feeling it's thrown in there to satisfy the tumblrinas and will be used as marketing.

I very much doubt it plays a role in the story at all and is like one of those things, "you know I'm trans right?".

This isn't /v, my friend

dralla

Unacceptable. I don't won't a diverse cast of characters just for the sake of it. I want them to be well written , just like all the straight white guys.

PS. One will probably be Emily

Kilau

Gold Member
First game was too violent for my tastes, graphic I guess.

Will 2 be the same in that respect?

MUnited83

For you.
So is this the latest fad and buzzword in games? It's not open world, it's not celebrity voice actors, it's not global illumination, it's not 1080p, it's not 60 fps, it's LGBT characters? I mean, if Dishonoured was about LGBT people then sure. But I have the feeling it's thrown in there to satisfy the tumblrinas and will be used as marketing.

I very much doubt it plays a role in the story at all and is like one of those things, "you know I'm trans right?".

Because if a writer tells you that the history he's writing as LGBT characters when asked, it must mean that it's always shoehorned in, because idiots like you will always think that.

Monocle

Unacceptable. I don't won't a diverse cast of characters just for the sake of it. I want them to be well written , just like all the straight white guys.

PS. One will probably be Emily
I hope all the women are redesigned to have sweet racks. You might as well give players something nice to look at, unless you're trying to pander to feminists or whatever by making them well written and plain looking.

The important thing is for the devs not to make it weird or artificial when women speak up and make decisions. Like if they're wearing glasses and trying to sound smart. It's like, who are you trying to fool here?

I love this! This is great news!

Dishonored 2 was already one of my most hyped games of the year. Stuff like this only sweetens the deal. That's so awesome.

This is a point of view you need to abandon immediately. You don't need justification to include a LGBT character. Or a black character. Or a female character. Insisting there needs to be "a reason" for these characters means you don't think they should be there, or they don't deserve to be as common as the standard heteronormative white male offerings. You are saying that there is a standard you don't think should be deviated from unless there is "a reason."

You don't need a reason to have diverse representation. Diverse representation IS your reason.

AntChum

Sorry members of the LGBT community, but you are all just part of a fad, doomed to fade into obscurity. If you could all just quietly disperse to the nearest closet, that'd be great.

Jeff6851

Games must only feature white, straight, cis males unless the game is specifically about something else!

Tingle

Because if a writer tells you that the history he's writing as LGBT characters when asked, it must mean that it's always shoehorned in, because idiots like you will always think that.

I would like to know what a non-shoehorned LGBT character is supposed to be to these people. What is supposed to be the correct time a character can be gay?

E-flux

I really don't get why we need to "shoehorn" people's sexuality into games, i mean it should not be a defining trait of a character whether he is a straight or not, and when they announce that they are going to have a bunch of prominent LGBT characters in the game just makes me think of a bunch of Tim Curries walking around.

Note that i don't really care if the devs want to add gay characters into their games but in many cases i just don't see how that is relevant to the actual game.

Eumi

Yo.

Yooooooooooooo!

Please be Emily or corvo. No wait, gay and bi right? Should be Emily and corvo.

Disaffected straight gamer is disaffected.

Yayate

Good, I'm happy to hear this.

I hope they're well written- but I hope that for every character. At some point, we're going to need to accept badly written LGBT and female characters along as they aren't offensive. Adding some sort of scrutiny to them is pretty silly- well, as long as there's nothing offensive.

People need to get as comfortable with inserting women, LGBT characters and different races into roles as they can. If we badger any given example for not being well written we won't get anywhere.

I was going to buy this just because Corvo is finally a character in this and he is just Garrett. I mean if this is what sells more people on buying Dishonoured 2 then neat.

Good, I'm happy to hear this.

I hope they're well written- but I hope that for every character. At some point, we're going to need to accept badly written LGBT and female characters along as they aren't offensive. Adding some sort of scrutiny to them is pretty silly- well, as long as there's nothing offensive.

People need to get as comfortable with inserting women, LGBT characters and different races into roles as they can. If we badger any given example for not being well written we won't get anywhere.

A badly written character is still a badly written character. Then again Kratos is popular so I don't understand people.

Harlequin

Didn't they confirm that the Rasputin-lookalike from the first game was going to be in the second one, too? I vaguely remember reading about that but I may be mistaken. I also don't remember the first game all that well so if sth in there confirmed him to be straight, I'm obviously wrong but the way I remember him, I could definitely picture him being gay. You know, considering he's a sort of "Da Vincian" eccentric genius.

Hagi

I really don't get why we need to "shoehorn" people's sexuality into games, i mean it should not be a defining trait of a character whether he is a straight or not, and when they announce that they are going to have a bunch of prominent LGBT characters in the game just makes me think of a bunch of Tim Curries walking around.

Note that i don't really care if the devs want to add gay characters into their games but in many cases i just don't see how that is relevant to the actual game.

It's relevant to the people playing the games. It's okay if you aren't bothered but some like to know that their existence is acknowledged.

But anyway, this is great news considering the timing. After getting more and more hyped for Dishonored 2. I went back and gave Disohonred 1 a 3rd try 4 years later, and it's really damn good. This news is even better because I really like the world and the narrative pieces of Disohonred and the Characters were always generally well-acted and written.

roytheone

First game was too violent for my tastes, graphic I guess.

Will 2 be the same in that respect?

Probably even worse, one of the videos showed the main character
transforming into a shadow monster and literally ripping someone apart.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

I am the greatest

Harlequin

Right... and of course all the heterosexual characters in games being heterosexual is super relevant to the game they're in.

Hagi

I am the greatest

Seems like ever thread about diversity we have people shoehorning their opinions on why these things shouldn't be a big deal and want things to flow "naturally". Everyone must be well written or not written at all.

Yayate

A badly written character is still a badly written character. Then again Kratos is popular so I don't understand people.

And that's exactly what I feel like we need- more minorities in roles like that. There's no way to make every game writer into a good writer, but having a blatant character like Kratos as LGBT, minority or female would be a great step towards equality.

If we're only okay with white cismales being badly written we're not going to get anywhere.

Characters can't be LGBT just because those people exist in the real world?

Fliesen

you know a LGBT character's story doesn't need to revolve around their LGBT-ness? You do know they're normal people, with normal issues, right? Apart from shoehorned love interests, a straight white male's story barely revovles around their heterosexuality.

also, AC:S ... so good
ned-wynert.jpg

Johndoey

Banned
Smith talked about this a bit on (Gamespot's?) stream about wanting to be more diverse with their character set and points if view and everything.
It probably won't be Corvo because of previously established story stuff.

I'm betting on Daud.

It is totally going to be Emily for sure.
I think Smith implied Daud wouldn't be around in 2.

theecakee

But it's not a phase mom.

Lux R7

Glad to hear this.
Also, again, male or female trans or gay characters don't need to be well written to deserve a role in a game. They can be bad written just like any straight character.

All he did was answer a fan's question.

Some Nobody

Not that I planned on getting this (first person is gross), but that sounds great and also like your lead character is either lesbian or bi.

Top Bottom