• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disk changer for console?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Happy holidays everyone 😄

How would you feel about a next gen console having a disk changer? Why hasn’t this been with video games when cars and stereo systems have it? Who would even consider it, SONY? Microsoft?
What do you all think about having a console holding more than one disk at your pleasure?

Shifty

It's called buying digital

This, essentially.

Of course it's a technical possibility, but the big dogs don't have any reason to do it when their digital storefronts are doing so well.
Plus the added hardware cost would end up being passed on to the consumer regardless of whether they wanted the functionality, instead of being put toward something more universally tangible like more powerful internals.

aEku

i would love some device like this for my switch.. because i dont trust the eshop like in the past gen..

Bickle2

1- Because they don’t make BD-ROM changers, both systems use off the shelf drives
2- If you think and know how mechanically unreliable slot loading is, get ready for a world of new hurt. Changers are also exponentially more expensive
3- they take up a lot of space internally
4- If you are so lazy you can’t get up and change a disc, you have bigger problems.

As stated, I’d you want a “jukebox”, go digital

Vitacat

A fun idea in a way. But, yeah, not gonna happen.

As for digital, if all platforms showed similar degrees of respect for the consumer then yeah, that would be the answer. But digital policies vary wildly, sadly. I would argue PC gamers have it the best, and Nintendo the worst, with the other console platforms somewhere in between. I say that as someone whose primary platforms these days are PC and Switch, where I'm all digital on PC and nearly all physical on Switch.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
that is hands down the dumbest thing i have read in a while OP.

no offense tho i would love that function.
but i think mario and zelda on the new xbox would be more realistic compared to your idea.

The Last of Us

Neo Member
This, essentially.

Of course it's a technical possibility, but the big dogs don't have any reason to do it when their digital storefronts are doing so well.
Plus the added hardware cost would end up being passed on to the consumer regardless of whether they wanted the functionality, instead of being put toward something more universally tangible like more powerful internals.

This.

Best thing about digital is you pay the same price as physical but are stuck with it if you're completely done with the game or hate it or something.

entremet

What year is this lol.

This will never be made. Ever. The platform holders actually want digital sales to continue to rise, so they have no incentive on this stuff. Furthermore, from a design perspective, it just adds more moving parts to a hardware build.

Vitacat

Best thing about digital is you pay the same price as physical but are stuck with it if you're completely done with the game or hate it or something.

This can vary greatly depending on platform. On Switch, for example, I've paid on average about $36 per physical game simply by leveraging sales and retailer promotions. Those same games would've cost me $60 per digital game on eShop.

taizuke

I don't think is a bad idea but it would've happened already seeing as PS4/X1 seem to be moving further away from physical.

If any console generation were going to have that feature I'd imagine it would've been either PS3 or 360 since both started out as primarily physical media consoles. I guess the original Xbox too.

quickwhips

that is hands down the dumbest thing i have read in a while OP.

no offense tho i would love that function.
but i think mario and zelda on the new xbox would be more realistic compared to your idea.
Just because you write no offense doesn’t mean your words are any less mean.

quickwhips

This can vary greatly depending on platform. On Switch, for example, I've paid on average about $36 per physical game simply by leveraging sales and retailer promotions. Those same games would've cost me $60 per digital game on eShop.
I game share so I only pay on average 30 dollars a game.

quickwhips

I assume you mean for digital games. Well, that's OK I guess. But you still don't actually own anything. I can sell my discounted physical copies for what I paid, and sometimes more.
That’s your opinion. I can play my games offline and not check in.

Bickle2

I game share so I only pay on average 30 dollars a game.
You should be aware it’s a violation of TOS, and can result in console and account bans. If Microsoft weren’t unwilling to deal with the backlash at this time I’m sure they would have already been smiting.

quickwhips

You should be aware it’s a violation of TOS, and can result in console and account bans. If Microsoft weren’t unwilling to deal with the backlash at this time I’m sure they would have already been smiting.
Just because people say stuff on the internet doesn’t mean it’s true.

Happy holidays everyone 😄

How would you feel about a next gen console having a disk changer? Why hasn’t this been with video games when cars and stereo systems have it? Who would even consider it, SONY? Microsoft?
What do you all think about having a console holding more than one disk at your pleasure?

I’m the ghooost of Christmass passsst

Bickle2

Just because people say stuff on the internet doesn’t mean it’s true.

https://enforcement.xbox.com/en-us/Home/StaySafe#topic6

Marketplace theft includes, but isn’t limited to:

Getting, asking for, or using redemption codes illegitimately
Transferring licenses to your console from an account that you didn’t create
Using a system glitch or loophole for financial gain
Using any sort of “shared” account to avoid having to pay for games or content
Successfully redeeming or giving away a code and contacting customer support claiming the code didn’t work
Attempting to defraud Microsoft or authorized agents
Fraudulently transferring content licenses
Sharing account credentials
Asking to be added to someone’s third party subscription (such as Netflix, Hulu, etc.), in order to avoid restrictions or payment

Nester99

What I want is blockchain tech that lets me resell/trade digital games.

I love physical when you can buy them new at discount via amazon prime the trade them in 2 weeks later for the purchase price at eb/GameStop

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
In a day and where obesity rates are through the roof, it doesn’t hurt anyone to occasionally get up off their ass to change a fucking game disc.

quickwhips

https://enforcement.xbox.com/en-us/Home/StaySafe#topic6

Marketplace theft includes, but isn’t limited to:

Getting, asking for, or using redemption codes illegitimately
Transferring licenses to your console from an account that you didn’t create
Using a system glitch or loophole for financial gain
Using any sort of “shared” account to avoid having to pay for games or content
Successfully redeeming or giving away a code and contacting customer support claiming the code didn’t work
Attempting to defraud Microsoft or authorized agents
Fraudulently transferring content licenses
Sharing account credentials
Asking to be added to someone’s third party subscription (such as Netflix, Hulu, etc.), in order to avoid restrictions or payment
I guess you haven’t seen people selling accounts online which I’m pretty sure they are referring to. I do feel we are derailing thread so if you want to discuss further message me or start a new thread if that is cool.

Ubername

Banned
Let's only buy digital and be sad in 5 years when your console library is intangible and unplayable because of the capriciousness of platform vendors

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
GameChanger.jpg

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Every electronic device with a disk changer I've ever owned broke soon after purchase. fuck those things

CDs were different because you always had a few good ones on rotation. Games are different, at least for me. I Don’t rotate through the same 5 games for long stretches of time.

Top Bottom