• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you ready for an "Adorably" all digital future?

Feeling cute?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Midn1ght

spWf5vQ.png

I know we've had several thread about this in the past but with today's leaks, it seems that the all digital future is coming rather sooner than later. Microsoft with their adorable digital mid gen refresh console, Sony with a supposedly separate/detachable disk drive for the Pro Model and who knows what Nintendo will come up with next.

Are you really going to ignore disk less consoles? Are you all in on digital and feeling more sexy than ever? Tell me how you really feel GAF.

kawaii-girl-playing-video-games-cute-gamer-kid-illustration_691560-5895.jpg

"So cute"
- Phil Spencer

StueyDuck

Just to be clear, adoration and being adorable doesn't necessarily mean being cute.

It's just how it's mostly visualized 🤷‍♂️

But it is sure a unique way to describe a discless future, definitely felt like a right click, synonyms choice.

Last edited:

consoul

Adorable? No.

It does look like it should contain a bottle of scotch or some protein supplement though.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The longer you resist the longer digital doesn’t get better and the longer physical gets worse.

Assimilate.. assimilate… assimilate!!

GHG

aren't a majority of pc gamers all digital tho?

Yes, but on PC you can at least make your own backups (and the internet is basically one huge backup machine) if you wish to.

From a preservation standpoint, digital only consoles are bottom of the barrel.

This is why cloud needs to be rejected outright - it represents zero opportunity for preservation.

Last edited:

M0G

When this shit hits full-time I'll be going back to my retro collection and buying those absolute must-haves through Steam sales. Simply can't justify spending the new normal prices for games, and receiving a license to a broken mess in return.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I started on Series S for Xbox this gen so I was already all digital. That's why I've been buying up every BC game that goes on sale for 2 years.

Zuzu

Trash, sappy marketing.

No, you want to force everyone into your walled-garden prison so you can gouge them with high digital prices and cut out the second hand market.

Last edited:

Hudo

Microsoft, Sony etc. can push their digital-only future all they want, reality is that at least in Germany, the infrastructure just isn't there. And it won't be for quite some time because our politicians are premium retards. And I am fairly certain that there are other countries as well where a digital-only model is not feasible.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I’ve been all digital for a decade plus. I will buy a few games here and there physically that I really like. But it’s different on consoles. When you completely control the walled garden and there is no other option it’s gonna be a bad time. If the only way to buy Steam games was directly through Steam I would buy way less games.

Midn1ght

Yes, but on PC you can at least make your own backups (and the internet is basically one huge backup machine) if you wish to.

This is why cloud needs to be rejected outright - it represents zero opportunity for preservation.
Also, you can buy digital keys everywhere online which encourages competition and lower prices, the PC digital market is not controlled by one entity. An all-digital closed ecosystem controlled by one company is just bad news.

elegantgamer

Neo Member
im all for physcial copies and i get the reasoning behind it. however to quit the hobby just because they're going all digital doesn't make sense. you're still going to buy the games.

elegantgamer

Neo Member

i hear you. but lets be honest. a majority are just buying games and playing them thats all.

Kupfer

PC has been doing it for years ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
PC stores have competition, console stores don't (except for physical media)
I'm curious to see when the megacorporations will be ready to set prices as they see fit in their monopoly stores.
Without physical media, which retailers are still fighting over to somehow balance physical and digital prices, it will be much easier for corporations to charge high prices. And gamers seem to be sufficiently conditioned by now to approve of this practice as well.
And I'm curious to see whether the people who proudly claim to have been all digital for years will still see it that way when they get fucked by the corporations.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

I've bought more digital this gen than in previous gens, but I want the option of physical. I dunno if I'd be out in an all digital future, but I'd probably be questioning my purchases a lot more.

No. Certainly not one as envisaged by Microsoft who possibly the worst company out of them, Sony and Nintendo for games. All Microsoft want is to have complete monopoly over game sales and a bigger push for GamePass subscriptions. That's really all they care about which is why they have been so complacent with exclusive Xbox games for most of the past decade.

GamePass is okay, I guess, but games are added and then later removed all the time so this is not a guaranteed way to have access to all your favourite games. Also, digital games are removed due to licensing issues so the death of disc-based console games doesn't really bode well for the preservation of games in the future if consoles go all-digital. Not to mention the high prices you would be forced to play for new games only available from the Xbox Store.

On PC, I am happy with it being all digital because I have a choice of where to buy my games. I often buy third-party keys at substantial savings over the ones on Steam/Ubisoft/EA etc, sometimes as much as £25 (meaning I can buy the premium edition for the same price as the standard game in some cases) and that more than makes up for the lack of any resell value. The PC is also a better platform overall for games preservation and has by far the largest selection of games of any platform.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

Where's the extra power? I'm find with adorable all digital, but if you're not also giving extra power then forget it, no buy!

WXdDEQ7.jpg

Ev1L AuRoN

All digital future, sure, if we always have the ability to run locally the code. A Xcloud like future, I hope it never happens.

splattered

To be honest and perfectly fine with the next consoles being totally digital as long as I can plug in at disk drive and still play some older games that I have

I mostly game in steam, so nearly all digital. I don't like it, really, but it's where I am. Someday I would.like to get a massive hard drive, install my whole steam library to it, and apply no steam cracks to the individual games in case modern society collapses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom