• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disk changer for console?

This is so funny. My sister asked me a couple days sus ago if any system ever had a disc changer. My first thought was that it would be brilliant and why hadn’t anyone thought of that. Then half a second later I realized how horrible of an idea that would be.
Making a thread about it is only slightly less dumb than investing millions in designing such a monstrosity.

CJY

Banned
I thought about the idea of a disk changer for console when I was literally 15 years old during the days of PS1 and PS2. That is 18 years ago. The reasons for not doing it now are the same as not doing it then. Except now, there are a metric ton of extra reasons to not create something like that. Chief reasons being cost, digital sales, and getting up to change disks is not actually so much of a burden that would justify the cost to any potentilla purchaser of such a device.

This idea willl never see the light of day, and i’ll eat my d*ck if it ever does, while at the same time purchasing 2. One for the living room and one for the bedroom. Would be great if it could somehow send disks from one unit to Another unit automatically. Haha

CJY

Banned
This is so funny. My sister asked me a couple days sus ago if any system ever had a disc changer. My first thought was that it would be brilliant and why hadn’t anyone thought of that. Then half a second later I realized how horrible of an idea that would be.
Making a thread about it is only slightly less dumb than investing millions in designing such a monstrosity.

It wouldn’t surprise me to learn that a disk changer was designed, manufactured and sold by a platform holder at one time in the past.

If I had to guess which company would be so folly to do this, it would probably have been SEGA

jaydogg691

KDC-CMP59FM.jpg

Brings back memories.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Every electronic device with a disk changer I've ever owned broke soon after purchase. fuck those things

Yeah, who wants options?!

More room for harddrives, ram etc.

Every electronic device with a disk changer I've ever owned broke soon after purchase. fuck those things

One of the big three would build a quality disk changer, plus SONY also dabbles in other industries besides gaming.

s2-lg.jpg

Bickle2

They will not launch a diskless system

1- there are many places with terrible internet, and the cost of including the drive is very low

2- retailers do not like multiple SKUs. While they’ll, put up with different flavor Xmas bundles, discless consoles will cause far more trouble than they’re worth in consumer confusion. It’s either all or nothing, and I hate to tell you, we’re twenty years away from that being practical.

Bickle2

More room for harddrives, ram etc.

One of the big three would build a quality disk changer, plus SONY also dabbles in other industries besides gaming.

s2-lg.jpg

That particular one liked to have the disc brake fail so it’s drop the still spinning disc back on the tray still going 150rpm, scratching them to hell

On an Xbox 360 that would destroy the DVD going 3000rpm

It’s not going to go well for Blu-ray even with the hard coat

Happy holidays everyone 😄

How would you feel about a next gen console having a disk changer? Why hasn’t this been with video games when cars and stereo systems have it? Who would even consider it, SONY? Microsoft?
What do you all think about having a console holding more than one disk at your pleasure?

Ummm. new cars don't come with disc changers anymore.

ReBurn

Gold Member
They will not launch a diskless system

1- there are many places with terrible internet, and the cost of including the drive is very low

2- retailers do not like multiple SKUs. While they'll, put up with different flavor Xmas bundles, discless consoles will cause far more trouble than they're worth in consumer confusion. It's either all or nothing, and I hate to tell you, we're twenty years away from that being practical.

Empirical evidence says that it's only a matter of time before disc drives go away. It may take another generation, but it will happen. They have been completely removed from PCs for ages, but somehow the PC gaming market is thriving.

Console manufacturers could get away with ditching the drive if they supported USB external disc drives. Everyone would gripe, the gladly shell out the money for that Playstation themed external Blu-ray drive that looks so nice sitting next to the 4tb external drive that matches it.

Bickle2

Empirical evidence says that it's only a matter of time before disc drives go away. It may take another generation, but it will happen. They have been completely removed from PCs for ages, but somehow the PC gaming market is thriving.

Console manufacturers could get away with ditching the drive if they supported USB external disc drives. Everyone would gripe, the gladly shell out the money for that Playstation themed external Blu-ray drive that looks so nice sitting next to the 4tb external drive that matches it.

PC gaming is an entirely different customer base. It took 25 years for mandatory hard drive installs past PC. You’re dealing eith lowest common denominator, and internet sucks in giant swaths of many nations. Plus console versions outsell PC as much as 10-1.

USB drive support is a massive DRM security issue. Valve doesn’t care about it, since PC gaming is awash in piracy and everything on their DRM is cracked in minutes. Any sort of USB drive based solution requires massive infrastructure investment in download kiosks in major stores, training, all kinds of odds and ends. Hundreds of millions of dollars, ehich would then still require online validation.

BTW XB1 originally basically did what you ask. Discs were install media with no drm with online validation, which also allowed the buying, selling, trading and lending of digital games, as well as retailers being able to deposit games and credit directly to your accout, , but paranoids and Sony fanboys screamed and cried without knowing or understanding and killed it.

So until 25mpbs unlimited internet is a right, ehich is should be, for a reasonable price nation, and yes, world wide, it’s simply not practical. Just because you have uncapped internet and decent speeds doesn’t mean anywhere close to the universality needed for consoles is present. Diskless was all in the plans for PS4 and XB1, both dumped it real fast when reality set in.

ReBurn

Gold Member
PC is not a different customer base. On the venn diagram of gamers PC and console gamers have significant overlap. In fact, console and PC gaming is more similar than ever now. They're all running on similar architecture and networks are starting to have crossover.

Discs are still just the delivery medium. The only use for the disc post-install is just to prove that you own a license to play it.

USB drive use is not a massive DRM issue. It's not a DRM issue at all. Sony and Microsoft allow games to run off of USB drives, so allowing them to install via external disc drives really is no different.

The writing is on the wall. Everyone swearing they'll stop gaming if it goes digital only won't. They'll piss and moan on NeoGAF then they'll be waiting in line with a fist full of cash on launch day to buy their disc-less Playstation.

Bickle2

PC is not a different customer base. On the venn diagram of gamers PC and console gamers have significant overlap. In fact, console and PC gaming is more similar than ever now. They're all running on similar architecture and networks are starting to have crossover.

Discs are still just the delivery medium. The only use for the disc post-install is just to prove that you own a license to play it.

USB drive use is not a massive DRM issue. It's not a DRM issue at all. Sony and Microsoft allow games to run off of USB drives, so allowing them to install via external disc drives really is no different.

The writing is on the wall. Everyone swearing they'll stop gaming if it goes digital only won't. They'll piss and moan on NeoGAF then they'll be waiting in line with a fist full of cash on launch day to buy their disc-less Playstation.

They do not allow disc based media to run off of usb drives. The validation of the media is the issue. The second that validation becomes external it’s a point of entry. Not happening. Period. Online validation was the heart of the shitfit over the X1, butnof course if Not Microsoft does it its ok right sportsfans?

You are confusing the giant number of masses with the fact that many PC gamers often have one or more consoles. We’re not talking about the other 75% of the console market.

Top Bottom