• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Channel Appreciaton Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that most of us are older than people who typically watch the Disney Channel, but as a 20 year old who watches the channel religiously, if you give it a chance it isn't so bad.

About 6 months ago I came down with nasty food poisoning and was stuck on the couch for 3 days. I had no energy to get up and get the remote, so the channel was stuck on Disney Channel and there was nothing I could do about it. I watched it anyway, and the rest is history. The Disney Channel is now my favorite channel, hands down.

The Suite Life of Zack and Cody

Stars: Cole & Dylan Sprouse, Brenda Song, Ashley Tisdale
My Rating: ****
3 Best Episodes: "Commercial Breaks", "Nurse Zack", "Not So Suite 16"

The Suite Life is a great show with good storylines. Of course the main plot revolves around the twins, but London and Maddie can create some good side plots as well. Perhaps the one character who holds everything together is Mr. Moseby, the hotel manager. He spices up the show whenever he appears. Ashley Tisdale's character is also hilarious, and she is pretty hot too.

Hannah Montana

Stars: Miley & Billy Ray Cyrus, Emily Osment, Mitch Musso, Jason Earls
3 Best Episodes: "My Boyfriend's Jackson and there's gonna be trouble", "Schooly Bully", "Get Down, Study-udy-udy"

Hannah Montana is another quality Disney show, featuring perhaps the most popular music star in the country right now, Miley Cyrus. The storylines are usually good, except whenver Miley/Hannah and Jake Ryan start to get into serious high drama 8th grade relationships, which in those cases the quality of the show plummets. Apart from those cheesy episodes, this show is always fun to watch. Jackson(Miley's brother) is probably the best character in the show just because every scene he is in is great.

That's So Raven

Stars: Raven Symone, Kyle Massey, Orlando Brown
My Rating: ***
3 Best Episodes: "Party Animal", "The Road to Audition", "True Colors"

Disney Channel's longest running show. Not the best they have, but I still watch it. The storylines invovling Raven usually are lame, but Kyle Massey's character is the real star of this one and makes the show worth watching. Whenver he pairs up with Orlando Brown's character, it makes for some amazing episodes.

Phil of the Future

Stars: Ricky Ulman, Aly Michalka
My Rating: *****
3 Best Episodes: "Age Before Beauty", "Future Jock", "Phil of the Garage"

No longer in production, but this was Disney Channel's best show in my opinion until Life with Derek came along. I am glad the writers chose to make Phil and Keeley FRIENDS instead of LOVERS, as that would probably make the show cheesy and drive it into the ground. Still, Phil and Keeley have great chemistry on screen. And Keeley is very attractive.

Life with Derek

Stars: Michael Seater, Ashley Leggat
3 Best Episodes: "House of Games", "Battle of the Bands", "Prank Wars"

A Canadian show that Disney Channel picked up, and I am glad they did, since this is easily Disney Channel's best show, hands down. It is made for more mature audiences, which is rare for the Disney Channel. The on screen chemistry/rivalry between Derek and Casey is top-notch. It always seems like Derek is one step ahead of Casey in whatever they are doing or fighting over, making each episode a wild and entertaining game of cat and mouse until the end.

Cory in the House

Stars: Kyle Massey, Jason Dolly, Mairara Walsh
3 Best Episodes: "Rock the Vote", "And the Weenie is", "Air Force one Too Many"

Hit or Miss spinoff of Thats So Raven. Some episodes are great, others are lame. Episodes in which Cory is jonesing over Meena are lame. Episodes in which Cory does what he does best, try one of his get-rich-quick schemes, are great. I wish the President had a larger role though.

Wizards of Waverly Place

Stars: Max Austin, Selena Gomez
3 Best Episodes: N/A

A Dallas-based show featuring stars who grew up around where I live. I have a few friends who know the stars of this show. Anyway, it just started last month but has gotten off to a great start. A show about a family of wizards. I wish Selena Gomez were older than 15 years old because she is smoking hot.

Other reasons to watch the Disney Channel: A conservative channel, polar opposite of far-left MTV pretty much. No BS shows, no commercials, something for everyone. Some hot and legal actresses: Ashley Tisdale, Aly Michalka; as well as some up-and-coming hot but not yet legal actresses: Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez

Bogus

To be honest, I find the cartoons Disney airs late at night and in the early morning to be an absolute riot. Dave the Barbarian has some really sharp writing and a great sense of comedic timing, and the Emperor's New School is funny for the same reason the movie it's based on was funny (minus David Spade, which is really a plus, anyway). Not to mention the old-school cartoons they show once in a while like Goof Troop and Duck Tales are classics.

Can't say I'm a fan of their live-action stuff... although from what I've seen, Phil of the Future seems pretty decent.

Lelielle

In Canada we have most of that stuff on the Family Channel (might as well be the Disney channel though) and it's still commercial free. I'm not a big fan of of Disney live action shows but some of the cartoons are great (Weekenders, Filmore!) and I like any channel that has children's programming with NO ADS.

Link1110

Cory in the House

That episode was great.

Other reasons to watch the Disney Channel: A conservative channel, polar opposite of far-left MTV pretty much.
Huh? I've never seen any politics on Disney Channel.

Peru

The Disney Channel is a receptacle for the non-creativity displayed only by the bottom trash of TV writers. It's a beacon for parodic bad comedy.

Magic Mile said:
Some hot and legal actresses: Ashley Tisdale, Aly Michalka; as well as some up-and-coming hot but not yet legal actresses: Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez

I would like to point out that they were both born in 1992.

Rayo

Banned
Magic Mile said:
I understand that most of us are older than people who typically watch the Disney Channel, but as a 20 year old who watches the channel religiously, if you give it a chance it isn't so bad.

About 6 months ago I came down with nasty food poisoning and was stuck on the couch for 3 days. I had no energy to get up and get the remote, so the channel was stuck on Disney Channel and there was nothing I could do about it. I watched it anyway, and the rest is history. The Disney Channel is now my favorite channel, hands down.

The Suite Life is a great show with good storylines. Of course the main plot revolves around the twins, but London and Maddie can create some good side plots as well. Perhaps the one character who holds everything together is Mr. Moseby, the hotel manager. He spices up the show whenever he appears. Ashley Tisdale's character is also hilarious, and she is pretty hot too.

Hannah Montana

3 Best Episodes: "My Boyfriend's Jackson and there's gonna be trouble", "Schooly Bully", "Get Down, Study-udy-udy"

Hannah Montana is another quality Disney show, featuring perhaps the most popular music star in the country right now, Miley Cyrus. The storylines are usually good, except whenver Miley/Hannah and Jake Ryan start to get into serious high drama 8th grade relationships, which in those cases the quality of the show plummets. Apart from those cheesy episodes, this show is always fun to watch. Jackson(Miley's brother) is probably the best character in the show just because every scene he is in is great.

That's So Raven

Disney Channel's longest running show. Not the best they have, but I still watch it. The storylines invovling Raven usually are lame, but Kyle Massey's character is the real star of this one and makes the show worth watching. Whenver he pairs up with Orlando Brown's character, it makes for some amazing episodes.

Phil of the Future

No longer in production, but this was Disney Channel's best show in my opinion until Life with Derek came along. I am glad the writers chose to make Phil and Keeley FRIENDS instead of LOVERS, as that would probably make the show cheesy and drive it into the ground. Still, Phil and Keeley have great chemistry on screen. And Keeley is very attractive.

Life with Derek

A Canadian show that Disney Channel picked up, and I am glad they did, since this is easily Disney Channel's best show, hands down. It is made for more mature audiences, which is rare for the Disney Channel. The on screen chemistry/rivalry between Derek and Casey is top-notch. It always seems like Derek is one step ahead of Casey in whatever they are doing or fighting over, making each episode a wild and entertaining game of cat and mouse until the end.

Cory in the House

Hit or Miss spinoff of Thats So Raven. Some episodes are great, others are lame. Episodes in which Cory is jonesing over Meena are lame. Episodes in which Cory does what he does best, try one of his get-rich-quick schemes, are great. I wish the President had a larger role though.

Wizards of Waverly Place

A Dallas-based show featuring stars who grew up around where I live. I have a few friends who know the stars of this show. Anyway, it just started last month but has gotten off to a great start. A show about a family of wizards. I wish Selena Gomez were older than 15 years old because she is smoking hot.

Other reasons to watch the Disney Channel: A conservative channel, polar opposite of far-left MTV pretty much. No BS shows, no commercials, something for everyone. Some hot and legal actresses: Ashley Tisdale, Aly Michalka; as well as some up-and-coming hot but not yet legal actresses: Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez
2dlohut.png

Peru said:
The Disney Channel is a receptacle for the non-creativity displayed only by the bottom trash of TV writers. It's a beacon for parodic bad comedy.

Watch Life with Derek and come back to me

when I am flipping through the channels and i see stuff like disney channel shows or UPN originals or similar I am always nauseated by the way the camera moves. it makes me physically ill to watch for more than 10 seconds.

Magic Mile said:

Hannah Montana

That's So Raven

Phil of the Future

Life with Derek

Cory in the House

Wizards of Waverly Place

What the hell? I have little brothers/cousins so I've been forced to watch these shows, and they all suck

pedobear2.jpg

Dali

Trakdown said:
I remember back when it ran commercial free. It's just not the same anymore. :(

I remember this time also. That was when it was a good channel not the watered down drivel that is divided between three or four channels now. They showed classic Disney shorts, the Disney cartoon series (Gummi Bears, Ducktales, Tail Spin, etc.), Disney movies, and a few original Disney live-action shows that I could never get into even as a child (Kids Incorporated and MM Club). It isn't just nostalgia speaking. The premium Disney Channel of days past was much better than the Disney Channel of today.

I will say that I used to watch Disney Channel just about every day when they were showing reruns of Boy Meets World. Man I fucking love that show.

I tried watching Hanna Montana recently to see what all the fuss was about and I couldn't take more than 5 minutes of it. The incessant and repetitive laugh track drove me up the wall. The laugh track plays every 4-5 seconds and only uses 3-4 samples. I'm not exaggerating.

is the OP a girl? If so, your tastes are perfectly acceptable. Id shutter to think a grown man watches Disney Channel non stop (but then again, is that much worse than anime?)

But Zack and Cody?! of all the shows, thats by far the worst. Those 2 twats cant act worth a shit.

Odrion

Banned
Magic Mile said:
this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy

this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy

this thread is creepy this thread is creepy

this: thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy
this thread: is creepy
this thread is creepy: "this thread is creepy", "this thread is creepy", "this thread is creepy"

this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy

this thread is creepy

this thread is: "this thread is creepy this thread is creepy", "this thread is creepy", "this thread is creepy "

this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy

this thread is creepy

This: thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy
this: thread is creepy
this thread is creepy: "this thread is creepy", "this thread is creepy", "this thread is creepy"

this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy

this thread is creepy

this: thread is creepy this thread is creepy

this thread is creepy

this: thread is creepy this thread is creepy

this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy

this thread is creepy

this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy

this thread is creepy

this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy this thread is creepy

Jesus fucking Christ I cannot believe the amount of time you must of put into writing an article about fucking children shows.

I use to know adults who voluntarily watch children shows and they were all emotionally stunted creeps who felt quite comfortable with never changing the attitude they had since the age of twelve and then get pissed at society because it doesn't accept them for who they are (giant manbabies.)
as well as some up-and-coming hot but not yet legal actresses:
annnnnd that about wraps it up for you

Salmonax

I've seen a couple of those shows, and they were painfully bad - insulting, I would think, even to the intelligence of the target audience of young children. 4 and 5 stars? Yikes.

I just really, really hope the OP is 12 or younger.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
disney channel is garbage.

they re-use the same tired cliches over and over again for their shitty shows:

sweet, cheeky, cute, good-hearted, middle school aged girl/guy who wears way too much makeup and has super powers/leads a double life/is an alien/has a cartoon alter ego and makes a lot of "quirky" monologues towards the audience. also struggles with typical "preteen" stuff like dating (!?), difficult parents, and just who they should reveal their ability to predict the future to.

and this stuff sells because kids today are fucking as stupid as shit.

are you as stupid as shit too, OP?

Hannah Montana and Phil of the Future are both pretty good shows.

I mean, let's be honest, you don't watch these shows looking for intelligent, mature plotlines. They're almost always cliche as hell with really old, really bad groaner-style jokes, but sometimes, I don't really mind that. They aren't smarmy, they aren't pessimistic, and unlike some of the worse sitcoms on the networks, they don't all come down to "LOL GUESS WHO I JUST HAD SEX WITH".

edit for two comments: (1) I think the 20 - 40 crowd is way too cynical these days, and (2) if you're watching these shows for "hotties" and you are over 18, you're as creepy as the people that ogle Hermoine in the Harry Potter movies.

Odrion

Banned
but whhhhhhhhhhy would you watch a disney show

"Well, the adult sitcoms are so cliched and filled with idiotic plots and laughtracks as well" so then you DON'T WATCH EITHER OF THEM.

I think the 20 - 40 crowd is way too cynical these days
This is more along the lines of witnessing the characteristics of a age group you are becoming, like old people who think that this latest generation will be the end of the planet.

Odrion said:
but whhhhhhhhhhy would you watch a disney show

"Well, the adult sitcoms are so cliched and filled with idiotic plots and laughtracks as well" so then you DON'T WATCH EITHER OF THEM.

This is more along the lines of witnessing the characteristics of a age group you are becoming, like old people who think that this latest generation will be the end of the planet.
Nah, I really doubt this latest generation will be the end of the planet or anything, but there's little questioning that people got quite a bit more sarcastic and pessimistic from Gen X on.

Odrion

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Nah, I really doubt this latest generation will be the end of the planet or anything
I don't think so either, but I think we need about twenty more years until we start grumbling at how stupid kids are those days.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
ROFL MOAR PEDOBEAR PICS

The creepyness of this thread has not been fully made fun of.

P.S. those shows suck. They should just show reruns of even steven. Now that was a good show. and how old is raven? like 30? Home girl been on TV as long as I can remember and i'm 22.

I find the reactions in this thread fascinating, as well. Though the OP didn't get it off on the right foot with his whole "future hotties" creepiness, the assumption that watching shows meant for kids makes you a pedo reminds me of the whole "male teachers must be pedos" bit. It's all the more amusing when you consider the highly beloved Ratatouille, while obviously being leaps and bounds more intelligent than the baked beans entertainment Disney Channel puts out, is targeted at the same crowd.

So are the Ratatouille fans pedos too?

The OP was creepy but I did learn something. I had no idea Billy Ray Cyrus was involved with a TV show. To be honest, I thought he would have been dead, went back to the trailer parks, or did porn.

Sol.. said:
ROFL MOAR PEDOBEAR PICS

The creepyness of this thread has not been fully made fun of.

P.S. those shows suck. They should just show reruns of even steven. Now that was a good show. and how old is raven? like 30? Home girl been on TV as long as I can remember and i'm 22.

I love your avatar.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Segata Sanshiro said:
I find the reactions in this thread fascinating, as well. Though the OP didn't get it off on the right foot with his whole "future hotties" creepiness, the assumption that watching shows meant for kids makes you a pedo reminds me of the whole "male teachers must be pedos" bit. It's all the more amusing when you consider the highly beloved Ratatouille, while obviously being leaps and bounds more intelligent than the baked beans entertainment Disney Channel puts out, is targeted at the same crowd.

no...it's "made for family" CG

now Bratz the movie fans....PEDOLASTIC!

firex

Magic Mile rhymes with...

it's not his fault, though. the disney channel is like pedo heaven because they make so many shows featuring jailbait girls.

Segata Sanshiro said:

My whole thing against the op was him saying that the girls are hot.

also Even Stevens was a fucking grand show. That and Boy Meets World were the only shows worth watching on Disney.

JodyAnthony said:
My whole thing against the op was him saying that the girls are hot.

also Even Stevens was a fucking grand show. That and Boy Meets World were the only shows worth watching on Disney.
Even Stevens seemed too good for a Disney Channel original. Boy Meets World of course was too good to be a Disney Channel original. I really wish there was an even remotely financially feasible way to own the whole series.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Segata Sanshiro said:
What about fans of Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, and Duck Tales?

What about grown men who obsess over Transformers?

I don't think anybody connects cartoons with creepy down to a certain intended age of course. oh, and gender uhh "disconnections"...
But thats all subject to personal opinion. It's cool to me tho. Something as seemingly irrelevent as the Little Mermaid really changed some people I know forever if ya know what i mean.

Sol.. said:
I don't think anybody connects cartoons with creepy down to a certain intended age of course. oh, and gender uhh "disconnections"...
But thats all subject to personal opinion. It's cool to me tho. Something as seemingly irrelevent as the Little Mermaid really changed some people I know forever if ya know what i mean.
Hmm, I think I know what my next research project will be.

Inspiration, thy name is gaf

ckohler

I can't watch these shows because they are so ridiculous in their political correctness that they insult my intelligence. I'm not saying the shows are necessarily badly performed or produced, just that I find their overwhelming wholesomeness phony and unrealistic.

If they want to make more compelling "family friendly" programming, they should try creating characters who are genuinely endearing because kids can relate to them... not characters who are two dimensional and live idyllic lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom