• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney cuts ties with PewDiePie after he posts antisemetic videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Village

100%

It's because of h3h3

I felt like Pewd improved in quality since collaborating with h3h3 but then when h3h3 turned out to be a piece of shit, I'm not surprised that he ended up being a bad influence.

No, these sorts of edgy jokes were never funny, regardless of who you are or who your friends are.

I have no idea about that

I've already presented a valid argument why I feel you're being deluded here, and, as I said, I stand by it. I'm not going in circles with you, thanks.
And I've stated a counter argument which you've ignored and you've called me deluded again I guess it's just too hard to win an argument without insults huh?

Ponn

Banned
Can you think of any specific examples? Generally, when people are trying to legitimise thier cause they look to people who'll give their views an heir of respectability and rationality - not somebody who parades in comic representation of the worst claims made about them.

You're giving too much credit to humanity. Trump is working out just fine for Bannon and the gang at the moment.

Izuna

Banned
lmao, always funny to see h3h3 being throw in these discussions. Made 4 videos making fun of extreme left people getting crazy and used the "SJW" expression, probably an alt-right nazi piece of shit.

Stays out of political discussion: probably hates all minorities. Even though he calls out a lot of bullshit from racists too and said that he voted for Hillary. But yes, he's probably a nazi.

Stays out of political discussion? Have you watched his videos around the election...

But he's a PoS for other reasons. He does, however, make a shit ton of jokes at the expense of Jewish people and turns it up to like 50% Evalion level at random instances. It's not edgy, it ain't funny, and it's relevant to what Pewds did

notaskwid

Using the terms "SJW" and "triggered" are offensive now?
Triggered is a stupid joke that can be used in a lot of contexts, I wouldn't consider it inherently offensive.
Calling someone a "sjw" says more about yourself than whoever you are trying to "insult".

Doc_Drop

Can you think of any specific examples? Generally, when people are trying to legitimise thier cause they look to people who'll give their views an heir of respectability and rationality - not somebody who parades in comic representation of the worst claims made about them.

I mean....Trump?

He's a joke to most yet has climbed the political ladder to the top

Zakalwe

Banned
And I've stated a counter argument which you've ignored and you've called me deluded again I guess it's just too hard to win an argument without insults huh?

I'm not insulting you, I'm saying you're deluded here because you are.

Children /are/ influenced by the people they look up to, and kids look up to PewDiePie. Children /are/ impressionable, it's why we protect them with age ratings on certain products. Etc...

Denying this is ridiculous.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
You're giving too much credit to humanity. Trump is working out just fine for Bannon and the gang at the moment.

Well, I kind of have to, you know? Those pesky humans get to vote on stuff that does effect me, so... if I can understand what the hell it is that drives them, then that'd be gravy.

Drencrom

Pewdiepie should realize he's too big to be "filthyfrank" or whatever humorwise, his audience is full of impressionable kids that takes his "shocking" and "ironic" shitty humor at face value which is the real problem.

Kaswa101

Children /are/ influenced by the people they look up to, and kids look up to PewDiePie. Children /are/ impressionable, it's why we protect them with age ratings on certain products. Etc...

To be fair, kids shouldn't be watching him anyway based on the amount of swearing, violence and other inappropriate contents in his videos. Imo of course. 🤔

Zakalwe

Banned
Okay not a literal Nazi. But do we know he's just joking is what I'm asking. How do we know he doesn't sympathize with the teaching that Nazi's had?

I think it's very apparent from his other actions and articulations that he doesn't support this shit, and that this shit is just his persona that he's now heavily invested in and knee-jerk defending.

Now he's had this wake up call it's time for him to take stock, he's a smart guy so there's no way he won't be able to separate his persona from the impact it's had. Not now.

If he chooses to continue the way he has, or if he doubles down, then yeh he's part of the problem.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
I mean....Trump?

He's a joke to most yet has climbed the political ladder to the top

Well, I guess there's that... he's not flying a flag for genocide though and that's kind of my point. He's framed his views as 'straight-talking', 'anti-establishment' and in 'the national interest' and it's worked pretty well. Enough to put him in the White House, at least.

My point is, more broadly, that parading around in a nazi uniform or making statements like 'Death to the Jews' does not immediately make him an ally (unwitting or otherwise) of a political right who don't largely view themselves as fascist tyrants.

They're more likely to rally behind someone who runs a YT channel debunking feminist theories and dropping sick burns on SJWs.

Is that reasonable?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Triggered is a stupid joke that can be used in a lot of contexts, I wouldn't consider it inherently offensive.
Calling someone a "sjw" says more about yourself than whoever you are trying to "insult".

That's what I thought. A lame label when you can't think of anything productive to say but not necessarily offensive.

Calling someone deluded is an insult and I'm not saying people aren't influenced at all by the media, I'm saying this is so tame compared to what they will encounter on a daily basis it will not make an impact.

I don't think you're delusional I just disagree with you it's called an opinion many people you encounter in life will have one it doesn't make them delusional either.

Village

Stays out of political discussion? Have you watched his videos around the election...

But he's a PoS for other reasons. He does, however, make a shit ton of jokes at the expense of Jewish people and turns it up to like 50% Evalion level at random instances. It's not edgy, it ain't funny, and it's relevant to what Pewds did

Eh...

1) I don't think ethan had anything to do with any of that. Homie got careless.

2) Also... whats the problem with a jewish person making fun of jewish people?

Like trust me I will call Ethan out on his attempts to get political and failing like the next dude. But i'm confused on how a jewish person making jokes about jewish person is them trying to be edgy?

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Money, Control, & Power. They may have more personal minor goals but I would bet that's the jist of it

Tempting as it is, that kind of attitude doesn't yield a great deal of practical solutions. Things are bad, but I think we need to find a way back. Assuming that most people basically terrible isn't gonna do it, I don't think.

Ponn

Banned
Well, I kind of have to, you know? Those pesky humans get to vote on stuff that does effect me, so... if I can understand what the hell it is that drives them, then that'd be gravy.

But you flat out mischarachterized them and missed the most glaring example that's been kinda hard to miss. That's dangerously naive borderline intentionally ignorant to what's going on around you, and is part of the problem. While you're trying to figure this out it's already too late.

This is aggressively untrue. When people are trying to legitimize their cause, literally anything will do. No matter how ridiculous or outrageous it is, if something supports a world view that somebody is seeking to validate, there is nothing that won't be used to do so. And the more bluntly the source seems to support this world view, the more credible this source appears in their eyes.

Look at 9/11 Truthers. Look at Fox News. Look at people who say vaccines cause Autism. Look at Dr. Oz. Examples are all around you.

Jerry

I get why Disney cut ties. The jokes he made weren't kid friendly.

But everyone calling him a nazi needs to get a grip, it's like some of you have never heard of comedians (which is what he is, believe it or not).

Pewdiepie should realize he's too big to be "filthyfrank" or whatever humorwise, his audience is full of impressionable kids that takes his "shocking" and "ironic" shitty humor at face value which is the real problem.

It's not his responsibility to make content that is deemed acceptable to the audience that consumes it, the audience will consume the content they want, it's his responsibility to make content that he want's to make and to do that in a professional manner. The latter is where he falls apart this time around.

Doc_Drop

Well, I guess there's that... he's not flying a flag for genocide though and that's kind of my point. He's framed his views as 'straight-talking', 'anti-establishment' and in 'the national interest' and it's worked pretty well. Enough to put him in the White House, at least.

My point is, more broadly, that parading around in a nazi uniform or making statements like 'Death to the Jews' does not immediately make him an ally (unwitting or otherwise) of a political right who don't largely view themselves as fascist tyrants.

They're more likely to rally behind someone who runs a YT channel debunking feminist theories and dropping sick burns on SJWs.

Is that reasonable?

On the hand,people on the far right will like it because someone isn't afraid to make jokes or isn't scared of offending sensitive people. They will see an ally in their old world views and attempt to collude his platform to push their agenda. The parody aspect will even soften their positions in comparison. See where this is going?

I think you're being too generous and perhaps a little naive. I conversely may be a little too cynical

Arkeband

Banned

Aren't Ethan and Hila not only Jewish but one or both of them are from Israel itself? I'm hesitant to assign anti-semitism to someone making jokes about their own nationality and heritage.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
But you flat out mischarachterized them and missed the most glaring example that's been kinda hard to miss. That's dangerously naive borderline intentionally ignorant to what's going on around you, and is part of the problem. While you're trying to figure this out it's already too late.

I'm not sure I follow, to be honest. You said I was giving humanity to much credit by assuming they might not align themselves with the most obviously carricatured images of Nazism, ones that can easily be construed as satire rather than support.

I said that I have to give humanity some credit, because they get to vote to and just dismissing them as idiots or bigots won't help make things better. But this is naive? Whatis better, to just sit here calling them nazis while the world goes to shit?

What's you're counter proposal?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I get why Disney cut ties. The jokes he made weren't kid friendly.

But everyone calling him a nazi needs to get a grip, it's like some of you have never heard of comedians (which is what he is, believe it or not).

So making jokes that a Nazi would make in a comedy club seems funny to you?

notaskwid

can you explain?
Disney owns a company that deals with "partnership deals". Basicaly they manage Youtube ads and/or other monetizing opportunities for Youtubers in exchange for a percentage of their earnings. This company, called Maker Studios, had a partnership program with Pewdiepie, he was part of their network.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
On the hand,people on the far right will like it because someone isn't afraid to make jokes or isn't scared of offending sensitive people. They will see an ally in their old world views and attempt to collude his platform to push their agenda. The parody aspect will even soften their positions in comparison. See where this is going?

I think you're being too generous and perhaps a little naive. I conversely may be a little too cynical

I can see where you're coming from. From my position, I'd rather lean toward niavety than cynicism. I'd rather end up being wrong in the long run but have tried to do something than simply sat there watching the world turn to shit and say 'told you so'.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I always thought "social justice warrior" was used to describe those that get offended by everything. Had no idea it was being used as a slur to describe people with common decency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom