• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two life-to-date sales 529K in US

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/29/epic-mickey-2-sales-at-529-in-us/

Disney's multiplatform Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two sold 529,000 units over November and December of 2012 in the United States, according to new data provided by Disney and the NPD group. Joystiq was also informed that sales of Epic Mickey 2, plus Nintendo 3DS title Disney Epic Mickey: The Power of Illusion, across North America reached 695,000 units over the same period. An unconfirmed report previously pegged Epic Mickey 2's sales at 270,000 copies.

Avallon

While people losing their jobs is never good to read about, it's completely unsurprising given the only two games they made.

Mlatador

Banned
If I remember correctly the first one sold over 1 million units and now the second one has sold 529 units so far.

Am I crazy or is this not bad at all?!

Hero

If I remember correctly the first one sold over 1 million units and now the second one has sold 529 units so far.

When you consider that the first one was a Wii exclusive and the second one was on every system it is pretty bad.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Doing half of the first one while being on many more platforms, oh yea, this is bad.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So Epic Mickey on 3DS sold 170k units in the first month? Well, that's not bad at all.

First two months (last week of November + December).
Around 170k for EM: Power of Illusion?

3DS SW 3rd party LTD

bird (Yes it's no.1)
ssf4
logo sw3
kh3d
sonic
mario sonic
skylanders
logo potc
re:r
asphalt
logo batman2
rayman
cars2

Strange that creamsugar didn't include it in the over 150k group.

Sendou

So the first one was Wii exclusive. Sequel was released for 4 platforms. Considering this I wouldn't call this an overwhelmingly good performance.

NotLiquid

How is this game anyway? I remember being disappointed with the first. That damn camera.

Everything flawed in the original game that they could have fixed in the sequel design-wise to accommodate the well-functioning build of the original was brought back into full force coupled with even worse mechanics in it such as a shoe-horned AI partner and general performance dips on just about any platform that isn't the Wii.

It's one of the biggest wasted potentials a sequel has ever had.

FoneBone

3DS game probably did alright relative to what it (probably) cost... though I'm not sure what Disney's expectations were. Awful for the console versions.

First game sold over 1.3 million, in one month on one platform. EM2 sold under half that, on four platforms, over a longer period. Just awful.

Ridley327

how does this compare to the first one? This one being multi platform should sell much more than the first one.

It's less than half of what the first game did in its first month. More importantly, however, is that people aren't going to show up for a sequel if the first game is hot garbage, which is what happened here.

Pociask

Whelp, now we know how to get NPD to disclose numbers. First, get a major newspaper to run a fake number, under the aegis of "according to numbers provided by someone who has access to the NPD numbers." Then, get all sorts of OTHER journalists to run with the numbers. Then, wait for NPD and the publisher to release real NPD numbers.

It's flawless, I tell you!

AGITΩ

I'm curious on the Platform breakdown of it. Port beggers from the first version sure didn't show up in full force like Disney was hoping.

Seda

Whelp, now we know how to get NPD to disclose numbers. First, get a major newspaper to run a fake number, under the aegis of "according to numbers provided by someone who has access to the NPD numbers." Then, get all sorts of OTHER journalists to run with the numbers. Then, wait for NPD and the publisher to release real NPD numbers.

It's flawless, I tell you!

I wonder if the developer being shut down is a part of that disclosure process.

Mpl90

AGITΩ;47053095 said:
I'm curious on the Platform breakdown of it. Port beggers from the first version sure didn't show up in full force like Disney was hoping.

Dalthien said that EM2 Wii was the best selling SKU, followed by EM:poI for 3DS.

Road

First two months (last week of November + December).
Around 170k for EM: Power of Illusion?

Strange that creamsugar didn't include it in the over 150k group.

Disney's multiplatform Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two sold 529,000 units over November and December of 2012 in the United States, according to new data provided by Disney and the NPD group. Joystiq was also informed that sales of Epic Mickey 2, plus Nintendo 3DS title Disney Epic Mickey: The Power of Illusion, across North America reached 695,000 units over the same period

North America x US only?

rockx4

Still surprises me that a huge team working on a sequel to a mediocre game can't churn out an above average game which fixes the flaws of the first game.

stuminus3

Banned
That's really terrible considering the marketing budget the game appeared to have had. What went wrong? Bad reviews and word of mouth couldn't possibly have hit a general public that would have had Mickey Mouse billboards in their face all holiday season that hard.

Squire

Banned
For a licensed Disney game that's available on three platforms and stars Mickey Mouse, that number sounds horrible.

Ridley327

That's really terrible considering the marketing budget the game appeared to have had. What went wrong? Bad reviews and word of mouth couldn't possibly have hit a general public that would have had Mickey Mouse billboards in their face all holiday season that hard.

As I mentioned before, people played the first game. That is why no one showed up for the sequel.

Kusagari

AGITΩ;47053095 said:

The port beggars only existed before the game actually came out.

ksamedi

I think Epic Mickey 1 did major damage to the brand. It was dissapointingly bad. Some games are incomplete/rushed but still show promise for improvement. Epic Mickey was incomplete/rushed, but also boring. Made me lose interest in the series completely.

starmud

impressive for the 3DS game... i would have thought lower. though, mickey doing well on the 3DS seems like a no brainer. depressing about what the game could have been. maybe theres hope for a future title that can build on the first. it was developed by an outside studio?

NotLiquid

The port beggars only existed before the game actually came out.

I'd say it probably stopped after actual footage/screenshots were shown. Begging for it after that point was a lost cause since everyone was already up in arms about the game looking nothing like it's concept art, which people blamed on it being Wii developed.

Road

Why should they sum a US total with a North America one? It doesn't sound that logical to me.

Huh?

How I read it:

- First citation: Epic Mickey 2 sold 529,000 copies in the United States.
- Second citation: Epic Mickey 2 and Epic Mickey: The Power of Illusion combined sold 695,000 copies in North America.

Mpl90

Unfortunately, the early sign for Epic Mickey 2's big drop was the lack of legs for the first one: after debuting with 1.320.000 copies sold, at June it was at 1.500.000 units sold. So, just 180k sold in the 6 months following its release.

antonz

Not a bad opening for the 3DS game.

Console version is a massive failure because it went multiplatform. Even if it was still Wii only it wouldn't be a great success but it would look a lot better on 1 platform instead of 5

Mpl90

Huh?

How I read it:

- First citation: Epic Mickey 2 sold 529,000 copies in the United States.
- Second citation: Epic Mickey 2 and Epic Mickey: The Power of Illusion combined sold 695,000 copies in North America.

Oh, true, I read it wrong, sorry =P
Still, strange to change from a US number to a North America one. Do we have estimates about Canada's market share?

antonz

Oh, true, I read it wrong, sorry =P
Still, strange to change from a US number to a North America one. Do we have estimates about Canada's market share?

Back in the Wiis heyday they were doing roughly 10% of the US Nintendo sales.

Mlatador

Banned
But how bad is 529 K really? That's what I wanna know.

Did they make a loss on that number? How much did they have to sell to break even and have a profit, and even more importantly how much did they have to sell to make a satisfying profit?

I think those are the really interesting questions.

So let me get this straight.

First game is seemingly competitive game with some critical acclaim and is a Wii exclusive, that goes to do quite well sell wise.

For the second game they decided to go multiplatform, quality nose dives aswell as sales causing the closure of Junction Point.

How is this even possible. What happened?

Boerseun

Banned
In no uncertain way are these numbers sufficient, impressive or indicative of a successful game. Disney strayed from the audience which made the first game such a massive hit; the follow-up was bound to flop.

In other words:

Making your second game in a series multi-platform when the first was an exclusive reeks of desperation, greed and, in my opinion, kills brand loyalty. This seems doubly true when your first game was a Nintendo exclusive, meaning it was sold to a dedicated, loyal fanbase, with exclusivity as a strong facet of Epic Mickey brand building.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So let me get this straight.

First game is seemingly competitive game with some critical acclaim and is a Wii exclusive, that goes to do quite well sell wise.

For the second game they decided to go multiplatform, quality nose dives aswell as sales causing the closure of Junction Point.

How is this even possible. What happened?

Answered your own question.

Top Bottom