• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two life-to-date sales 529K in US

Mr. Patch

Isn't that 529k number just the sales from Nov. and Dec. of last year? Because that what it reads like to me.

Edit: My bad. I thought the game came out in 2011 for some reason.

antitrop

Isn't that 529k number just the sales from Nov. and Dec. of last year? Because that what it reads like to me.
The game came out in November. What's your point? January isn't even over, yet, it would be absurd to assume this month would be counted into the numbers.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

... January isn't over, so there are clearly no sales data from January available yet, and anyway expect a massive cliff drop-off from December to January for all software, just like every other year.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Saw this on sale for 15$ at BB for the Wii. I couldnt believe it was that low since it pretty much just came out. The game seemed ok but the performance issues on the WiiU were abysmal!

javac

I remember people were so enthusiastic towards the 3DS game when we got the first screens, shame it didn't materialize into anything meaningful.

Unison

There must be so many of those paintbrush peripherals laying around in stores.

Epic-Mickey-2-Remote-Control.jpg

31EJskixiRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ivan 3414

In no uncertain way are these numbers sufficient, impressive or indicative of a successful game. Disney strayed from the audience which made the first game such a massive hit; the follow-up was bound to flop.

The situation kind of reminds me of deBlob. First game did decent, second game went multiplatform and bombed hard, dev team disbanded.

Granted, deBlob2 was a good game.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Really, do you think that was the factor? Could you expand a bit on why you think that?

By going multi-platform it increased the budget of the game, and as the standard controllers for those were not the Wii Remote, it really hurt the game's playability as compared to the original. The original game benefited from being a Wii exclusive on a system that desperately needed exclusives that had actual effort put into them. Additionally, they designed the original around the one piece of hardware it was on. As a multi-platform it had to be as generically designed as possible.

I've always been a person who believes games are at their best when they're specifically designed around the hardware of a particular system. Also see Nintendo games, Uncharted, Gears of, etc.

Hero

Yeah, just another example of a Wii exclusive going multiplatform and bombing. See also: de Blob, uDraw, etc.

Too bad... I liked the first game, but haven't gotten the second one yet. I'll get it eventually (for Wii), though.

First two months (last week of November + December).
Around 170k for EM: Power of Illusion?

Strange that creamsugar didn't include it in the over 150k group.

It probably just missed 150k. Remember that that 170k number also includes Canadian EM2 sales, which are not included in the 529k number (US only).

Kid Ying

I don't think killing the brand loyalty had something to do with it. The game still sold most on Wii afterall. The real problem was the fact that the first game was awful and the people who bought the first one wouldn't be in for a sequel.

mclem

So let me get this straight.

First game is seemingly competitive game with some critical acclaim and is a Wii exclusive, that goes to do quite well sell wise.

For the second game they decided to go multiplatform, quality nose dives aswell as sales causing the closure of Junction Point.

How is this even possible. What happened?

See de Blob, uDraw.

Takao

Banned
Junction Point only made the Wii version, IIRC. A separate company did PS360, with another company doing the Wii U port. 3DS tie-in was done by Dream Rift. Dunno why people are saying going multi made the game worse in this case.

EDarkness

As I mentioned before, people played the first game. That is why no one showed up for the sequel.

I would have picked this up again on the Wii U, but the lack of IR and the crappy porting pretty much turned me off. If they want my money they need to do better.

EDarkness

Yeah, just another example of a Wii exclusive going multiplatform and bombing. See also: de Blob, uDraw, etc.

I still don't understand why they even tried it with uDraw. The game sold well on the Wii, why not just keep it there. That whole scenario screwed them over something big.

ajim

I think Epic Mickey 1 did major damage to the brand. It was dissapointingly bad. Some games are incomplete/rushed but still show promise for improvement. Epic Mickey was incomplete/rushed, but also boring. Made me lose interest in the series completely.

Pretty much my feeling. I really wanted to enjoy and even love it, but it was so empty, bland and just downright boring I stopped playing even after forcing myself through a few levels.

It is sad there, because there was a lot of charm there and I was hoping it was going to be polished and fixed for Epic Mickey 2. Sadly not.

I just picked this game up for the Wii U over the weekend, it was on sale for $20 so I figured why not, my fiancee and I had a blast with NSMBU so I was looking for another co op game. After reading some reviews I am glad its still in the plastic, is this game worth playing or should I return it? I am not crazy about split screen co op but if the game is worth it ill deal. I would love some feedback from people who actually played the Wii U version because if its really bad ill just return it, thanks.

I was curious about the Wii U version too. Anyone know if it was ever patched?

The performance was terrible in Giantbomb's Wii U livestream at launch

Top Bottom