• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Holotile

So they are all sloped little cylinders that can rotate clockwise or counter-clockwise, the sensor detects where your feet are and what direction you are facing then adjusts the rotation of the ones under your feet to shuffle you in the opposite direction. Very cool.

Three

So they are all sloped little cylinders that can rotate clockwise or counter-clockwise, the sensor detects where your feet are and what direction you are facing then adjusts the rotation of the ones under your feet to shuffle you in the opposite direction. Very cool.
Looks like it. A motor on a motor. One to control vector direction and another to control magnitude/speed.

Last edited:
Looks like it. A motor on a motor. One to control vector direction and another to control speed.

Nah they all just rotate, but due to the sloped top, they rotate the ones on either side of your feet in opposite rotations to "push" your feet forward or backwards.

Three

Nah they all just rotate, but due to the sloped top, they rotate the ones on either side of your feet in opposite rotations to "push" your feet forward or backwards.
I'm not getting it. How do you control the direction like that? From what I can see the slope direction is changed. So with one motor they have directional control and speed with the other motor rotation. I drew a crappy diagram below. The contact point is always the top of the slope, the speed is controlled with rotation A shown in blue. At the moment if you spin A the vector direction is along the x axis shown in red. You rotate motor B and you can control the vector direction. If i've misunderstood it and it doesn't work like this then I should probably patent this idea.
Screenshot-20240125-235610-kindlephoto-150489406.png

Last edited:
you control the angle by just adjusting the rotation speed, say the ones on the left of your feet might rotate counter clockwise a bit quicker than the ones on the right of your feet are rotating clockwise, so you then don't go "straight" ahead, or only rotating a subset of the ones the feet are actually making contact with. My guess is it's very simple hardware with complex software and sensors, else it'd be unmaintainable.

Last edited:

Three

you control the angle by just adjusting the rotation speed, say the ones on the left of your feet might rotate counter clockwise a bit quicker than the ones on the right of your feet are rotating clockwise, so you then don't go "straight" ahead, or only rotating a subset of the ones the feet are actually making contact with. My guess is it's very simple hardware with complex software and sensors, else it'd be unmaintainable.
The vectors dont make sense to me like this if the slope direction isn't changing. They would only be able to provide force backwards and forwards in one direction. It's probably going over my head.

Three

For anybody interested in how it works:

The drive system typically includes, for each disk assembly, a disk orienting mechanism along with a disk rotation mechanism to rotate the disk at a rotation rate about its central axis

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
That dude looks like someone who beats up his assistant for serving luke warm dinners.

Seems weird they haven’t thought of a use for it - it seems obvious that prisons/gyms/the security industry could make good use of a floor that you can run on and you always end up back where you started.

‘nope - let’s sell it to to the 3,000 people with a vr headset, to use in their basements!’

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's for Disney Parks, not any consumer product just because folks like the youtuber or whoever reposted the video and put his voice overs so no, it's not to go in a basement but possibly for thousands to experience something new through it in some theme park or wherever. In this iteration it's obviously embedded in that floor/whole installation with lord knows what other guts underneath so it's not at all something like a dance mat the video claims and any consumer use would probably require a big ass base like other omni directional treadmills, far from convenient and budget friendly for most consumers even if companies like Kat VR pretend otherwise. Maybe eventually, maybe not though. It's not just for VR as demonstrated since it can also be used to move objects rather than simply attempt to keep them in the center as they move so they could have Star Wars plays where they use the force and objects/persons are moved around seemingly magically like that as shown or whatever other use case. It's in development technology hence they don't know exactly how/if it's gonna be utilized, maybe it'll lead to something altogether different to what's shown so far.

As for gym use, eh, probably way too costly and complicated to maintain compared to standard treadmills that work perfectly fine for the job, just because you can doesn't mean you should, they probably can't counter crazy sprint speeds in the first place to make them viable for athletic use.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Looks awkward, like he's trying real hard to not look focused on keeping balance. But I guess it's a start.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Very cool, but how do you get off?
Just pull don't your pants like normal .. 🤷‍♂️

And some of the post here just highlight how a lot people cannot comprehend something without seeing the final form.
This is proof of concept. Once they can get the rollers smaller and faster you will see something really exciting.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
0:45-0:48(that reaction :messenger_grinning: )
1:14-1:18("we don't know yet where it will be used")

Good luck walking around that thing in Skyrim VR.

Top Bottom