• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity 3.0 |OT| Episode 3: The Playset Awakens

RobbieNick

How long will key keep the online portion going? I still wanna do Toyboxes, but I don't want to waste my time if I can't share them.

This is fucking depressing. I loved Infinity especially 3.0 and my last Toybox was tricky for me to make, but it made me want to learn more about game design and I think this game is a great educational tool for that. I'll still be picking up more toys as they slowly drop down in price.

Worst of all is poor Avalanche. They really hit it out of the park with a great game and instead of being rewarded for their efforts, they're laid off. Such a great development team too.

This is my most recent Toybox that I'm STILL waiting for Disney to approve, The Incredible Hulk's Smash Course. The one Toybox that did get approved was Tatooine Farm and Fun which is great is you want o level up your sidekicks or go for a podrace. I don't have video of that, but you can search for it in the toybox online section and find it.

If anyone here has a PS4 with 3.0 and want's to freind share toyboxes, just IM me.

Rootbeer

Banned
Still heartbroken from yesterday's news T__T

I am all in for the Dory stuff. Might get the Alice stuff, we'll see.

My one hope is that with this game closing down, it might in some way benefit LEGO Dimensions which I really would like to see stick around for few more years.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Will I still be able to keep playing my playsets and Toybox modes (speedway/takeover)? i'm not bothered about downloading other people's custom toyboxes or really any other online features. Once I play through my Star Wars playsets and have had enough of the Toybox modes then I guess i'll wrap it up. I will keep my figures on display though! they are quite cool.

Will I still be able to keep playing my playsets and Toybox modes (speedway/takeover)? i'm not bothered about downloading other people's custom toyboxes or really any other online features. Once I play through my Star Wars playsets and have had enough of the Toybox modes then I guess i'll wrap it up. I will keep my figures on display though! they are quite cool.

Yeah, any local stuff or patches you need to download for the game should stay available indefinitely on all platforms, the big question right now is what's going to happen to the online components (not the multiplayer, but the toybox stuff). Ongoing development was shut down but it's not like they're going to take the game away from you.

And I agree, even though it's a shame they're shutting down, the figures are all really great and I'm sad we won't see more of them in the future. They were nice collectibles even when they weren't great in-game (like Baloo or a lot of the 1.0 figures)

curb

Banned
Yeah, any local stuff or patches you need to download for the game should stay available indefinitely on all platforms, the big question right now is what's going to happen to the online components (not the multiplayer, but the toybox stuff). Ongoing development was shut down but it's not like they're going to take the game away from you.

That's all gotta be stored server side and I doubt they'll maintain the servers without ongoing development. At some point the servers will go down and sharing toy boxes will no longer work.

Lomax

That's all gotta be stored server side and I doubt they'll maintain the servers without ongoing development. At some point the servers will go down and sharing toy boxes will no longer work.

Yeah, and I'm sure when the servers go down the PC version will no longer work at all. Hopefully it's at least a couple years but we've seen EA and Activision pull stuff in a matter of months so it's really hard to say.

RobbieNick

I'm just getting into MyInterior which is surprisingly addictive. How tall can you make your house?

As sad as I am that it's ending, there's still a ton of stuff for me to do. I should get 2.0 digitally since I have a lot of unfinished business in that set as well.

At the very least, this probably means we'll be getting some REAL Disney/Marvel/Star Wars movie licensed games soon (by "REAL" I mean not stuck to one kid-freindly style. I mean, they're still fun and all but....y'know.)

At least now I'll have an excuse to pick up Yondu when he drops to $5.

They should end it by adding a patch that unlocks everything. ;-)

Lomax

At the very least, this probably means we'll be getting some REAL Disney/Marvel/Star Wars movie licensed games soon (by "REAL" I mean not stuck to one kid-freindly style. I mean, they're still fun and all but....y'know.)

I honestly don't see how this will result in more games, EA already has an exclusive Star Wars deal and will be putting out those games, Activision has most of the Marvel licenses (though I guess we could see new ones) and most other Disney properties are probably seen as for kids only and not viable for serious games. And it's not like DI was stopping any game licensing. I guess maybe now someone else could license and make a "toys to life" game based on one or more of the properties, but I don't see that happening. Besides, do we really need more rushed to market movie cash in games? They are almost universally terrible.

MrMephistoX

I honestly don't see how this will result in more games, EA already has an exclusive Star Wars deal and will be putting out those games, Activision has most of the Marvel licenses (though I guess we could see new ones) and most other Disney properties are probably seen as for kids only and not viable for serious games. And it's not like DI was stopping any game licensing. I guess maybe now someone else could license and make a "toys to life" game based on one or more of the properties, but I don't see that happening. Besides, do we really need more rushed to market movie cash in games? They are almost universally terrible.

Plus I'm pretty sure Marvel is making too many boatloads of money off of mobile and their MOBA to even care about consoles; it's more profitable but if someone wants to fully fund dev costs and marketing in exchange for licensing fees and a percentage of profits Disney ain't going to say no.

They should end it by adding a patch that unlocks everything. ;-)

I was just thinking that final patch to let players use any character in any plays set: I want Captain America beating up Stormtroopers and Joy vs Hulk in Battlegrounds what have they got to loose?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Plus I'm pretty sure Marvel is making too many boatloads of money off of mobile and their MOBA to even care about consoles; it's more profitable but if someone wants to fully fund dev costs and marketing in exchange for licensing fees and a percentage of profits Disney ain't going to say no.

They alread announced that there will be console related announcements.

Blues1990

Even though I didn't post here as often (as I only had an interest with the nicely sculpted figurines & not too much with the game itself), it's a crying shame that there aren't too many quality avenues for kids play some solid video games with their parents.

witness

Very sad news, the future plans sounded so good. I'll be picking up Black Panther, Antman, and the Battlegrounds set shortly.

Matty8787

I literally ordered the starter pack of 3.0 just before the story broke.

Ah well will scour ebay for the figures and try get hold of 1.0 and 2.0 digitally if possible.

The announcement of the cancellation prompted me to grab starter packs for DI 1, 2, and 3 along with a few figures from each release. Planning to pick up Toybox Takeover and Speedway soon, along with the new Captain American battle mode thingy.

I guess my question is whether the main story modes that you can buy are good in multiplayer, or even allow for multiplayer at all. Especially in 1 and 2 since I've heard 3 is much more flexible. 3 will be the one I play with my boyfriend but if I can get good mileage out of the first games as well I'd love it, haha.

The announcement of the cancellation prompted me to grab starter packs for DI 1, 2, and 3 along with a few figures from each release. Planning to pick up Toybox Takeover and Speedway soon, along with the new Captain American battle mode thingy.

I guess my question is whether the main story modes that you can buy are good in multiplayer, or even allow for multiplayer at all. Especially in 1 and 2 since I've heard 3 is much more flexible. 3 will be the one I play with my boyfriend but if I can get good mileage out of the first games as well I'd love it, haha.
2 player local co-op is always an option and it's pretty fun. You just need two compatible figures for whatever set you want to play.

The Marvel Battlegrounds set for 3.0 is actually focused on multiplayer and is the only DI thing that does 4 players locally

curb

Banned
I've been digesting the Kotaku piece on the cancellation. It's unfortunate that it was going to take them until 4.0 to do a proper cross-property story mode. I think people really wanted that.

Not much in terms of specifics as to what individual characters were in the works outside of what we can assume would come from the leads from the movies that were getting playsets. I'm kinda okay with this. If I'd found out that there was a Captain Marvel coming for sure, I'd probably be extra sad about this.

2 player local co-op is always an option and it's pretty fun. You just need two compatible figures for whatever set you want to play.

The Marvel Battlegrounds set for 3.0 is actually focused on multiplayer and is the only DI thing that does 4 players locally
Thanks! We played a bit last night and had a blast. The game is easy of course, but the strength of the IPs and the depth of the toy box should give us lots to do! Excited to grab more of the stuff now. :p

I've been digesting the Kotaku piece on the cancellation. It's unfortunate that it was going to take them until 4.0 to do a proper cross-property story mode. I think people really wanted that.

Not much in terms of specifics as to what individual characters were in the works outside of what we can assume would come from the leads from the movies that were getting playsets. I'm kinda okay with this. If I'd found out that there was a Captain Marvel coming for sure, I'd probably be extra sad about this.

There is a lot in that in that article. I am not sure if I want (and probably not) bigger 12" figures, specially from the same characters.

But for sure I wanted a story mode, more franchises, Ducktales, Goofy, etc.

I will miss Disney Infinity. I was a huge Skylanders fan, had everything from the first 3 games, and now I cannot even look qt its poorly done figures. Dimensions still did not catched on me, its strongest feature, the integration with regular lego sets, does not do anything for me.

curb

Banned
There is a lot in that in that article. I am not sure if I want (and probably not) bigger 12" figures, specially from the same characters.

The 12" figure thing seemed like a weird move to me. Not what I expected at all. I would have loved to see how they turned out even if I'd likely never buy one. That is, unless they did a Hulkbuster.

Reading about thet one of the huge loss Disney is taking with DI is the huge inventory of toy they have and I could not thing about that is because they were too nice with costumers...

Look at the Skylanderd Toys to Life model: Waves. One wave comes out at full price. When the next wave goes out heavily discounts the previous one to sell the remaining inventory. Do not produce more from that wave. If you want to have them, you have a small window of opportunity. And due to the different quantities of characters shipped in mixed boxes, some characters will be hard to find. Like each store will only receive one x character for every 10 y character. If you want all of them, or just a particular one, yoy cannot wait for a sale, you have to buy it at full price when it comes out. Worse, as you do not know in advance which character will be available in short numbers, or you have to make a painfull journey through retail chains or you do have to preorder.

Nintendo does a similar thing with artificial shortages of amiibos.

Of course nowadays the market was tough so them even have to make day one sales, but that was the rule when DI came out.

And DI came each characters shipped in just one kind inside boxes, meaning the retails can resuply just the ones selling better. Availability of the toys were all the year around and beyound. There were to rush to get them, you can wait for a sale, etc. Wait and wait.

So huge inventory costs....

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I have Iron Man & Black Widow Playset Codes to give away, also I have Iron Fist and Black Costume Spider-Man, send me a PM if anyone wants it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Since I now own a big amount of Figures I am thinking about getting a Game when They clean shelfes.

Is Black Spidey compatible with the one game where you can swing around in New York?

Since I now own a big amount of Figures I am thinking about getting a Game when They clean shelfes.

Is Black Spidey compatible with the one game where you can swing around in New York?
I think so. He was packed in with the vita version of 2.0. He probably won't have the 3.0 move set though.

Lomax

It's really sad that a decent game people really liked got canned and 300 people lost there jobs because of inaccurate demand projections.

And even more sad that they boosted production in order to better supply the customers and not cause artificial shortages, when the best business decision would have probably been to create more shortages (but much worse for the customers).

Course it doesn't help that things like Steam reviews are almost universally negative because the game isn't "actually f2p." In that respect I don't really blame them, I don't think as a business I'd want to have anything to do with the video game industry or its customer base, just send out licenses and let other people deal with the stupid.

curb

Banned
And even more sad that they boosted production in order to better supply the customers and not cause artificial shortages, when the best business decision would have probably been to create more shortages (but much worse for the customers).

It's really frustrating to see something intended to be pro-consumer bite them in the ass.

If Disney Infinity ever returns, I hope it takes cues from Lego Dimensions and allows every character in every world. They're 'toy' characters, not the 'real' ones, so it should have never really been an issue.

I think that's the core failing of the game itself.

But it was still #1 in Toys To Life in spite of that. If it had been better it would have been a legit phenomenon. Maybe if Hulk could have played in all the playsets they'd have sold another million of him. Who knows.

I hope it returns in some form someday, though.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
it's a shame they are killing this off. to be honest if i knew they were gonna be doing this then i wouldn't have dropped ~£200 on the game/figures/playsets/toybox modes but oh well. at least i will still be able to play my playsets/toy box modes and i will keep my figures on display even once i'm done with the game itself.

Don't be in denial (like I was). With Avalanche gone, no way it could return. It was a fun ride, but it ended.

That's not necessarily true. It wouldn't have the same development team, but it's possible in the future Disney could work with an outside studio to develop some sort of Infinity followup.

I'm not saying it'll happen, or even that it could happen any time soon, but there's always the possibility it could resurface in the future if they feel like they can get the financial problems that DI had under control and there's still room for them in the market.

Hell, we got Rock Band 4 after all those years. Who's to say we won't eventually see Disney Infinity come back in some form? Maybe a very different one than what we've seen so far, but who knows.

Well it's kind of weird to cancel a game that was never announced. We were all just accustomed to the business model. Any franchise has the potential to return. But with the studio now defunct, it's hard to believe it'll happen.

Malyse

Don't be in denial (like I was). With Avalanche gone, no way it could return. It was a fun ride, but it ended.
You do know that they can have a third party studio make it, right? They outsourced a ton of the game already and it's not like the core mechanics can't be handled by another studio.

Lomax

Just got a coupon in my Target cartwheel app for 75% off 1.0 and 2.0 figures, so it looks like some clearance efforts may already be starting.

RobbieNick

I went around to all my local Targets and I guess everyone knows about the coupon since it's impossible to find any 1.0 and 2.0 figures there.

Disney just released a bunch of toyboxes so check them out.

The only place I ever see 1.0 and 2.0 figures now is Toys R Us, with an occasional Wreck It Ralph or Frozen pack at Best Buy. TRU is doing two 1.0 figures for $14 or 40% off all 2.0 and 3.0 figures so might want to check that out.

curb

Banned
I'm with Chiaroscuro, DI is perma-dead. No one is going to want to step and try and pick up the pieces of a failed platform in a declining genre and then have to pay licensing on top of that. It's done. Prepare for even more crappy licensed mobile games.

That being said, I bought an Ultron this weekend. I probably won't try him out until after I'm finished Uncharted 4.

curb

Banned
For some reason, I really like Ultron's power set in Infinity. One of my favorites.

I haven't been super excited about the 3.0 Marvel figures in-game. I'm still not a fan of the lightsaber-less melee combat. The figures look great but I'd still rather play as a Star Wars character outside in any Toy Box stuff. I'll definitely give him a go once I have some time.

Off topic, has anyone tried to play Battlegrounds without an internet connection? I've seen some reports of people try that and not be able to play it or at least not use all the new characters even with a fully patched game. That would be pretty bad if that playset didn't work right after the servers go down.

So what does everyone think the collector's market is going to be for DI figures? Should I start investing in collecting what I can now, or should I just snag a few here and there that interest me?

curb

Banned
So what does everyone think the collector's market is going to be for DI figures? Should I start investing in collecting what I can now, or should I just snag a few here and there that interest me?

I feel like it was on the market so briefly overall that it won't be much of a collector's item. If Kotaku's right and they really did overproduce figures, there should be lots. Scalpers may start buying them up think there'll be demand but I personally doubt we'll see much of a rush.

I imagine stores will start dropping prices in an attempt to clear out the stock by the time the Finding Dory playset is out.

I feel like it was on the market so briefly overall that it won't be much of a collector's item. If Kotaku's right and they really did overproduce figures, there should be lots. Scalpers may start buying them up think there'll be demand but I personally doubt we'll see much of a rush.

I imagine stores will start dropping prices in an attempt to clear out the stock by the time the Finding Dory playset is out.

Yeah, wait for sales. Almost all the DI figures I bought from 1.0 through 3.0 were in the $6-$8 range, and you'll be able to do a bit better than that when the heavy clearances hit.

Lomax

Once the game is dead the figures are just figures and I doubt any of them is particularly rare or all that desirable. There's also a stigma of sorts regarding collectibles from dead games that tends to make them lose value in the long run. I'm sure the DI stuff will be on ebay in 10 years for around the same prices (or less for bulk collections) as it is now.

Top Bottom