• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity server shutdown announced

Ban Puncher

CW1s14P.png

RK128

For those worried about the Downloadable characters and playsets for 3.0, they are patches and are on Sony's/Microsoft's/Nintendo's servers. Meaning, even if support is disconnected for the game, you can still play the base game content (Characters and PlaySets) even with the servers for the MP modes and Toy Boxes are going offline.

d1rtn4p

Damn. Actually pretty sad to me. My 5 year old just started getting into this the past few months and loves it. Crazy to see how fast Disney left this out in the cold.

J-Tier

Wow, that is brutal. I feel for those who've invested money into this. Disney is really cutthroat when it comes to business.

Karak

Hmm.
Was hoping for a removal of the online checks and allowing for the offline bits to be played. This is pretty atrocious.
Wait...so the console versions will stay playable but not the PC versions. Seems like they could have worked around that.

Ridley327

Hmm.
Was hoping for a removal of the online checks and allowing for the offline bits to be played. This is pretty atrocious.
Wait...so the console versions will stay playable but not the PC versions. Seems like they could have worked around that.

I think the issue with the PC version is that it's an "a la carte" digital figure system, so in effect, the only way they would be able to make an offline version work is if they gave away everything for free, which I wouldn't see Disney going for.

This is disgustingly flippant to their customers. It's one thing to cancel ongoing progress, but to shut down all online servers within the year? Absolutely ludicrous, especially for a game that is so focused on player-created content.

Makes me incredibly glad I never decided to cave into temptation and take the plunge on this. This is such a middle finger to everyone who bought into these games, especially anyone who bought the recently released figures.

Amiibos don't sell for shit anymore. There's over 100 now and most are being sold at a huge discount.

People griped loudly when the rare ones were harder to get and cursed Nintendo for it but as soon as they increased production on new figs and started reprinting the rarer figures people stopped giving a shit. I knew that would happen and Nintendo shouldn't have kowtowed to public pressure if they wanted to keep Amiibos hot.

Karak

I think the issue with the PC version is that it's an "a la carte" digital figure system, so in effect, the only way they would be able to make an offline version work is if they gave away everything for free, which I wouldn't see Disney going for.

Thats why I said seems they could have worked around it.

This is disgustingly flippant to their customers. It's one thing to cancel ongoing progress, but to shut down all online servers within the year? Absolutely ludicrous, especially for a game that is so focused on player-created content.

Makes me incredibly glad I never decided to cave into temptation and take the plunge on this. This is such a middle finger to everyone who bought into these games, especially anyone who bought the recently released figures.

And still allowing purchases for awhile too. Its odd for sure.

Yukinari

Maybe they shouldnt have made a ton of figures and threw constant star wars and marvel into the mix when there were still Disney franchises not properly represented.

The fact that Tinkerbell got a figure but not Peter Pan (didnt pass the prototype phase) is kind of ridiculous. Meanwhile Lone Ranger which nobody cares about got a playset. Talk about priorities.

Apdiddy

I'm not sure if I am misunderstanding, but will the console game still be playable after the overall server shutdown on March 2017?

Wait for the chilling effect this has on the other toys to life franchises.

If Disney, a behemoth by any measure, is happy to fuck over its customers like this, then what's to stop WB or Activision from doing the same if they decide this isn't a business for them anymore. It'll shake the trust any fan has in these games right now.

"Hey kids, thanks for the money. And fuck you"

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
People griped loudly when the rare ones were harder to get and cursed Nintendo for it but as soon as they increased production on new figs and started reprinting the rarer figures people stopped giving a shit. I knew that would happen and Nintendo shouldn't have kowtowed to public pressure if they wanted to keep Amiibos hot.

I don't think people stopped giving a shit. They just buy them without having to post about them as they don't have to hunt around for them anymore. Sales are down as the Smash line has been mostly done for a while, the Animal Crossing characters didn't have the same appeal--especially since the game was a turd, and other releases like the new Kirby ones, Splatoon re-skis (not counting Callie and Marie) just haven't had the appeal of the Smash wave with all the major IP covered by it.

I'm guessing the Zelda Amiibo for the new game will sell very well. The Monster Hunter Story ones probably will as well.

Nintendo has the benefit that more people buy them just as collectible figures where the other toys to life series are more for people playing the games and they just really oversaturated the market with too many figures, playsets etc too fast.

Karak

I'm not sure if I am misunderstanding, but will the console game still be playable after the overall server shutdown on March 2017?

ya they aren't clear there but from what I understand in the past Sony and MS have made it clear that a company can't make a retail title just suddenly not work during a current gen unless its only online(MMO) though I can't remember an example of that happening but I bet others can.. Since they are tied to the physical items anyway. They will continue to work minus the online.

bumpkin

Let them go, let them go
The servers will be no more
Let them go, let them go
They ain't coming on anymore
They don't care
If you are going to play
They will not turn on.
Disney are gutting jobs everyday
I laughed. I'm a terrible person.

Still, this is pretty shitty of them. My nephews and niece play the shit out of the Toybox stuff.

Kouriozan

Amiibos don't sell for shit anymore. There's over 100 now and most are being sold at a huge discount. Look at the Animal Crossing mess.
Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival told a good lesson to Nintendo to never ever make an Amiibo only game.
I'm quite thankful this game bombed hard after the hint of a real AC game (the Plaza)

shingi70

Banned
Maybe they shouldnt have made a ton of figures and threw constant star wars and marvel into the mix when there were still Disney franchises not properly represented.

The fact that Tinkerbell got a figure but not Peter Pan (didnt pass the prototype phase) is kind of ridiculous. Meanwhile Lone Ranger which nobody cares about got a playset. Talk about priorities.

Tinkerbell is more popular than pan by himself.

xrnzaaas

It's times like this when you're reminded (again) how ruthless Disney is... some parents will be in serious trouble in explaining their kids what the hell happened, especially those who don't follow the news on when the servers are shut down.

Plum

Are Lego Dimensions and Skylanders tied to online? Because if so then I really don't like the precedent Disney is setting here.

Yes, absolutely.

Only the PC and Apple versions are ending completely. These are largely because they predominantly used card codes to get new characters instead of a figure scanning base. The cards came with each figure and then server checked the code to allow it to be redeemed.
No code checking, no characters, no point in the game. Gotta shut it down.

Stuff that uses the platforms that scans the real figures still will function perfectly. Online severs don't go down for a while still, allowing everybody to download all the user content they want, play multiplayer, and snag the couple of multiplayer trophies before the servers shut down forever.

After they shut down the game will still be fully functional, just with less options, like no online multiplayer, you can still make toybox games but not upload or download them, and the one needs trophies will be forever unavailable.

The playsets, your own toyboxes as well as those you downloaded, and all figures will still work in a fuctional game.

Disney never fails to disappoint on the gaming side. Damn shame, DI was our go-to game due to the Marvel and Star Wars content. At least we were on PS4, so we can still play some content in the future. If I was a PC player, I would be super pissed right now.

Karak

Ya Skylanders and Lego work fine offline. So not really something that would impact the in the same way which is nice.

Maybe someone will crack the PC versions or something odd like that. Probably impossible but since the check data isn't the same as character data who knows.

Ridley327

holy fuck, that is insanely fast. wow.

When Disney cuts bait, they make damn sure it sinks all the way to the bottom of the sea floor.

It hasn't been a great year for UGC-driven titles, as there a fair few LBP titles going offline by the end of the year, as well.

crimnos

I don't think people stopped giving a shit. They just buy them without having to post about them as they don't have to hunt around for them anymore. Sales are down as the Smash line has been mostly done for a while, the Animal Crossing characters didn't have the same appeal--especially since the game was a turd, and other releases like the new Kirby ones, Splatoon re-skis (not counting Callie and Marie) just haven't had the appeal of the Smash wave with all the major IP covered by it.

I'm guessing the Zelda Amiibo for the new game will sell very well. The Monster Hunter Story ones probably will as well.

Nintendo has the benefit that more people buy them just as collectible figures where the other toys to life series are more for people playing the games and they just really oversaturated the market with too many figures, playsets etc too fast.

Also don't rule out those of us who got burned out by the never-ending hunt. I had given up on the whole thing out of frustration about a month before they stepped up production, which just made me all the more bitter about the situation.

But hell yeah I'm back in for those Zelda ones.

Yukinari

Also don't rule out those of us who got burned out by the never-ending hunt. I had given up on the whole thing out of frustration about a month before they stepped up production, which just made me all the more bitter about the situation.

But hell yeah I'm back in for those Zelda ones.

Considering i finally had to break down and import Smash series Dedede and Ness cause they were pretty much non-existant yeah i agree the hunt for amiibo was what killed it for me. Im thankful the newer ones seem to be stocked better and not store exclusive.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Such a bummer. DI was the only Toys To Life game series I was interested in. I own a bunch of figures, and the Star Wars version was actually improved significantly in the gameplay department compared to 1.0 and 2.0. I was looking forward to what further improvements 4.0 would have.

Even so, the figures are still amazing looking, so I'm glad I bought them. I'll try and snag all of the others one I can before they're gone for good. I have a bunch already, but there's still so many more I'm missing, mainly on the Disney proper end. I have all of the Star Wars ones, and I just need a few more of the Marvel ones, which are the ones I'm most interested in in the first place. It's a shame Disney pulled the plug on it. It really could have been a mega TTL contender if it pushed better gameplay sooner.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Shit, and to think I had a hard time offloading my figures already.

Oh well.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not offloading all of them, just about two thirds of the characters that don't mean much to me.

Maybe I should put them up in the B/S/T thread.

Tapejara

I'm kind of confused, when does online multiplayer for consoles shut down? Is it the same day as the community content (Sept 30th?).

kunonabi

Such a bummer. DI was the only Toys To Life game series I was interested in. I own a bunch of figures, and the Star Wars version was actually improved significantly in the gameplay department compared to 1.0 and 2.0. I was looking forward to what further improvements 4.0 would have.

Even so, the figures are still amazing looking, so I'm glad I bought them. I'll try and snag all of the others one I can before they're gone for good. I have a bunch already, but there's still so many more I'm missing, mainly on the Disney proper end. I have all of the Star Wars ones, and I just need a few more of the Marvel ones, which are the ones I'm most interested in in the first place. It's a shame Disney pulled the plug on it. It really could have been a mega TTL contender if it pushed better gameplay sooner.

Yeah, the figures are so nice that I bought a bunch during my clearance binges that I normally wouldn't have. During the game's lifetime proper I only bought the Incredibles and Mulan. The jump in quality from 1.0 to 3.0 is just crazy. It's a damn shame you can't use all the different figures in the battleground playset.

PSqueak

Banned
Better start downloading the best creations, starting with that mini call of duty zombies inspired horde minigame.

By the way, i have seen people use 3rd party software to use amiibo on cellphones, what are the chances of disney going hard on any potential programmer who would make a 3rd party (most likely free) game compatible with the figures?

Disney Infinity is fucking cool but with this announcement, I think I might just sell all of my shit and be done with it.

I haven't ever really been bummed about a game shutdown before but this one really sucks

Top Bottom