• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity server shutdown announced

It's disgusting how little commitment some companies have to supporting their customers' purchases.

"Well, not enough people bought it, so those that did won't get the product we promised any longer. All about the money, bitches, now get out."

Card Boy

Banned
I think Skylanders Battlecast will be next to shut down as I have heard zero internet hype but having said that Activision is legendary in keeping their severs open for years and years. The difference with Battlecast its a TCG to life that can still be played as a traditional card game independent of the video game.

If the NX doesnt support Amiibo then It's as good as dead.

I remember the thread about Disney announcing their departure from games development, but i don't remember the reasoning. Was the division loosing money for them?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I remember the thread about Disney announcing their departure from games development, but i don't remember the reasoning. Was the division loosing money for them?

They terribly mishandled the scheduling and production of certain characters.

SFenton

That's usually not how that works, consumer protection is a thing.
I guess it all depends on what they promise in the description of the product.. It's also not like they went bankrupt and have to shut down the servers.

But on the other hand, if Disney has one thing on lock, it's lawyers.

Except I don't think that's usually how it works. When you buy a game, you don't buy an implicit agreement that "the servers will stay up until x date" or "you are obligated to online access for one year past purchase".

1) would mean they have to keep updating TOS and they have no guarantee on if the company will suddenly be shut down.
2) means that in theory they'd have to keep online up forever to support those few new players that keep coming in.

Online is a feature, and, much as I dislike it, if it isn't profitable for Disney to keep up and they've already announced the franchise is shutting down, I'm totally unsurprised by this move. DI is not the type of game that strikes me as being kept alive online by goodwill.

Apple TV becoming unplayable, and W8/10 becoming unplayable, *does* surprise me, though maybe they just don't want to deal with it if a future OS update breaks those titles, which is unlikely to happen on actual gaming consoles.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I figured this was a gold maker for them, I guess not?

They spent way too much in developing it. Especially I think the third episode with the main team with more than one hundreds employees and other four external support teams

RK128

Sorry bud but this is wrong.

There are a couple online ONLY trophies in each game. Can't get them if the games can't go online.
Also they specifically state in the letter on the OP and sent to me from them via email that all online toybox functions will cease, so no more downloading them.

Oh :(

Okay, sorry for being a bit wrong then. I don't care about trophies that much, so sorry if I spreaded mis-information.

Holy cow, I was out of the loop and assumed that those figurines and games were making them boatloads of cash. Usually it's the merchandising where companies like Disney make all the dough, although I suppose the game component adds a lot of overhead to the otherwise simple toy and physical goods market. Is there an offline component to those games that will remain playable for existing customers or is it akin to shutting down the games entirely?

Top Bottom