• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scribble

So I watched Aladdin last night. I still think it's an amazing Disney film (I did a GAF search on Aladdin and was saddened at the large amount of whining about the film. Come on =/)

The music? I think the animation sequences that went with the songs were extremely fun and made me cry for old Disney. My favourite song from that film has to be the Prince Ali one, and my favourite animation sequence has to be the song in the beginning in which Aladdin is causing mischief in the city. My all time favourites:

1. Be Prepared (Lion King) -- Favourite villain song. I love the part where the hyenas go "long live the king!" and they all march like soldiers. Chilling.

2. Circle of Life (Lion King) -- Epic opening, in the true sense of the word.

3. Wanna Be Like You (Jungle Book) -- Funky.

4. Bear Necessities (Jungle Book)

5. ZippaDeeDooDah, ZipaDeeDay, my oh my what a wonderful day (A Song of the South)

Worth a Mention: He is Not One of Us (Lion King 2. Yes.)

My least favourite songs are the love-orientated ones. Can You Feel The Love tonight is the worst part of the Lion King, IMO.

So if GAF can bring itself not to complain about minor technicalities "oh, Peter Pan's VA is off key in the twenty-third verse of the third song," and speak from their childhood, what are your favourite Disney songs?

I'm just posting to say that it sucks that Prince of Egypt can't represent in here because it's affiliated with shitty Dreamworks animation.

Scribble

Scullibundo said:
I'm just posting to say that it sucks that Prince of Egypt can't represent in here because it's affiliated with shitty Dreamworks animation.

Mention it anyway, since Prince of Egypt is kind of a Disney-esque movie.

JayDubya

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRYU4cqUAUs

12.png

Alcibiades

My favorite is Colors of the Wind (Pocahontas).

But I also like A Whole New World (Aladdin), Something There (Beauty and the Beast), Part of Your World (Little Mermaid).

Great! I think Prince of Egypt is the most consistent with song quality out of all the animated features that are likely to be mentioned. It only has one weak song (Big Boys).

You get
Deliver Us
All I Ever Wanted
Through Heavens Eyes
The Plagues
When You Believe

Plus that awesome Burning Bush tune which still gives me shivers as the musical representation of G-d. Brilliant.

But yes, I agree that Aladdin's best is Prince Ali - it's just so damn catchy.

AmMortal

Banned
Scullibundo said:
Great! I think Prince of Egypt is the most consistent with song quality out of all the animated features that are likely to be mentioned. It only has one weak song (Big Boys).

You get
Deliver Us
All I Ever Wanted
Through Heavens Eyes
The Plagues
When You Believe

Plus that awesome Burning Bush tune which still gives me shivers as the musical representation of G-d. Brilliant.

But yes, I agree that Aladdin's best is Prince Ali - it's just so damn catchy.
Winner. Best songs.

Well The Lion King is my favorite goddamn traditional animation Disney film, followed closely behind by The Little Mermaid.

Having said that, I'm still perplexed by Cinderelly from Cinderella. The song the mice sing while they're making her dress.

It's magical. I guess because I used to listen to that record at my grandparents place when I was a wee little tyke. We're talking sub-double digits here, people.

USD

Other than the songs that everyone knows are great (most have already been mentioned, your New Worlds and Wind Colors and whatnot), some of my favorites are My Own Home (The Jungle Book), Poor Unfortunate Souls (The Little Mermaid), and Belle (Beauty and the Beast), especially the reprise.

I really love The Mob Song from Beauty and the Beast. KILL THE BEAST!

Scribble said:
This is probably my favorite song to come from Disney's direct-to-video movies.

akachan ningen said:
You know what movie was shit? Tarzan. The songs were just ludicrous and Rosie o'Donnell? ugh.

Rosie O'Donnell sucked, indeed, just like her character. But the songs weren't that awful..Two hearts is great imo

oh, another quick one, this one was my fav for quite a long time

Can you feel the love tonight, The lion king, by Elton John. Splendid melody, brings back a lot of memories

Scribble said:
So I watched Aladdin last night. I still think it's an amazing Disney film (I did a GAF search on Aladdin and was saddened at the large amount of whining about the film. Come on =/)

The music? I think the animation sequences that went with the songs were extremely fun and made me cry for old Disney. My favourite song from that film has to be the Prince Ali one, and my favourite animation sequence has to be the song in the beginning in which Aladdin is causing mischief in the city. My all time favourites:

1. Be Prepared (Lion King) -- Favourite villain song. I love the part where the hyenas go "long live the king!" and they all march like soldiers. Chilling.

2. Circle of Life (Lion King) -- Epic opening, in the true sense of the word.

3. Wanna Be Like You (Jungle Book) -- Funky.

4. Bear Necessities (Jungle Book)

5. ZippaDeeDooDah, ZipaDeeDay, my oh my what a wonderful day (A Song of the South)

My least favourite songs are the love-orientated ones. Can You Feel The Love tonight is the worst part of the Lion King, IMO.

So if GAF can bring itself not to complain about minor technicalities "oh, Peter Pan's VA is off key in the twenty-third verse of the third song," and speak from their childhood, what are your favourite Disney songs?

Aladdin is the best Disney animated feature, period. I have fond memories of watching it in the cinema when I was a kid :_D
But I'd say pretty much all Disney movies with music composed by Alan Menken have great songs. Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Little Mermaid, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules and Beauty and the Beast all have great catchy songs. Phil Collins' songs for Tarzan are really good too. And the Lion King. It's incredible to hear the songs for all the different language versions of the films and realize how similar they are.

An example:

Colors of the wind (English): http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=1cA9yJBslOU
Colors of the wind (Spanish -from Spain-): http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=J1atqs536Nw

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
The Little Mermaid
Poor Unfortunate Souls
Under The Sea

Beauty and the Beast
Beauty and the Beast
Be Our Guest
Something There

The Lion King
Be Prepared
Circle of Life

Aladdin (I <3 Aladdin)
Prince Ali
Friend Like Me
One Step Ahead
Arabian Nights
A Whole New World

Pocahontas
Savages
Colors Of The Wind

Other Disney Favorites
101 Dalmatian's - Cruella De Vil
Nightmare Before Christmas - Kidnap The Sandy Claws
Toy Story - Strange Things
Toy Story - You've Got A Friend In Me
Lilo & Stitch - Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride

OgnodoD

Honestly, I abhor The Lion King and anything to do with it.

Hard to pick my top 10 or anything like that, but some of my faves are:

Heigh-Ho (Snow White)
When You Wish Upon a Star (Pinocchio)
I Wanna Be Like You (Jungle Book)
Cruella De Vil (101 Dalmatians)
Poor Unfortunate Souls (Little Mermaid)
Part of Your World (Little Mermaid)
Belle (Beauty and the Beast)
Reflection (Mulan)
I'll Make a Man Out of You (Mulan)

batbeg

Grug said:
My gf and I have already chosen "A Whole New World" as our first dance song at our wedding.

That's pretty awesome. You should have Nick Pitera sing it :lol

A Whole New World, I'll Make a Man Out of You (Donny Osmond <3) and Circle of Life are probably my three favorite Disney songs. Not terribly original choices, but they're so loved for a damn good reason :D I was pretty fond of Tarzan's soundtrack, as well, although I've seen it get a load of hate on GAF. I also agree Prince of Egypt is pretty much the king of music in animation, fucking beautiful and epic stuff.

I want a cartoon-a-thon now :(

linkboy

ichigo kurosaki said:
Aladdin is the best Disney animated feature, period. I have fond memories of watching it in the cinema when I was a kid :_D
But I'd say pretty much all Disney movies with music composed by Alan Menken have great songs. Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Little Mermaid, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules and Beauty and the Beast all have great catchy songs. Phil Collins' songs for Tarzan are really good too. And the Lion King. It's incredible to hear the songs for all the different language versions of the films and realize how similar they are.

An example:

Colors of the wind (English): http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=1cA9yJBslOU
Colors of the wind (Spanish -from Spain-): http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=J1atqs536Nw

Don't forget the late Howard Ashman, he was just as responsible for the music from Little Mermaid, Aladdin & Beauty & the Beast.

And I loved the Phil Collins songs from Tarzan.

TheDuce22

Banned

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
There are people out there that seriously enjoyed these musicals?

Man I used to hate it when they'd pipe up the vocal chords for several songs through the Disney classics. I think that's why I enjoyed Lilo & Stitch so much because there was no musical bravado in it.

And why Pixar were the savior.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Actually the thing I loved most about The Lion King was Hans Zimmers stuff. Why couldn't Disney have just kept up with the orchestral pieces instead :(

Scribble

speedpop said:
There are people out there that seriously enjoyed these musicals?

Man I used to hate it when they'd pipe up the vocal chords for several songs through the Disney classics. I think that's why I enjoyed Lilo & Stitch so much because there was no musical bravado in it.

And why Pixar were the savior.

I love music. Disney's songs were extremely fun, especially 'cos they were accompanied with exciting animation sequences.

Gagaman

pinkelephants.jpg

The Pink Elephants on Parade. Most brilliantly freaky thing Disney ever did. Disney were their best when they weren't afraid to scare the shit out of kids.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdwVqGGbXno

Caballerosposter.jpg

The Three Caballeros, from the film of the same name. Hell, just about any of the music from this movie could be amongst my favorites. I ran the VHS of this film to breaking point as a kid. Most under rated Disney film ever.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JGWOY8nPCMw

Other favorites:
Donald Duck - Der Fuehrer's Face
Winnie the Pooh - Hephalumps and Woozles
Dumbo - When I See an Elephant Fly
Alice in Wonderland - Happy Unbirthday
Lady and the Tramp - The Siamese Song + He's a Tramp
101 Dalmatians - Cruella De Vil
Jungle Book - Trust in Me and We're Your Friends

There really is too many to list, though.

Scribble

I liked "kidnap the sandy claws, throw him in a tree, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah bee!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom