• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney's 'Frozen' headed to Broadway

Status
Not open for further replies.
The day after Frozen won a Golden Globe for best animated film, Walt Disney CEO and chairman Bob Iger confirmed to Fortune that the company wants the unconventional princess story to become a Broadway musical.

Iger said Disney was currently in discussions to adapt the box office success for Broadway audiences, but declined to give a timeframe. “We’re not demanding speed,” he said. “We’re demanding excellence.”

Source

tumblr_inline_mzbcphVQox1r3aj2a.gif

anaron

Lmao @ the ' I can't' gif. Didn't realize how that part within the song would lend itself so beautifully.

Chairhome

I was already picturing a broadway show when I watched the movie and listened to the soundtrack, so hopefully it'll turn out great.

red13th

Let it Go would be a perfect ending for the 1st act since it's basically Defying Gravity-lite, but it wouldn't work since it's too early in the story. :(

Missed this bit in the article then:

He also said before this latest film revival that they were finished with the crappy straight to dvd sequels. I prefer new ideas and movies but if they can make a movie worthy of the original then go for it. I just hope they stay away from the straight to dvd crap like they said.

kagete

I hope its nothing like the Lion KIng Broadway, the most disappointing show I've ever been to.

Amen. I'd rather re-watch the original animated movie in 480p than sit through that again. It was also more of "Scar: The Musical" than it was Lion King.

Let it Go would be a perfect ending for the 1st act since it's basically Defying Gravity-lite, but it wouldn't work since it's too early in the story. :(

And the latter part of the film actually has less memorable songs compared to the first half.

I hope the Broadway version comes up with Part 2 of "Do You Want to Build a Snowman" towards the ending, something like this, but something better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OoWsy7H-Mc

Tarsul

nice. Actually, I've wanted something like this to happen but couldn't have imagined it happening so soon. It's the perfect movie for a real life showing (i guess they planned it all along with all that singing, huh?). Wondering how all the ice will look.

Hope it comes to Hamburg, Germany, in a few years (like the lion king).

“We’re not demanding speed, we’re demanding excellence.” he said into a burlap sack, which he promptly threw into a river with an expressionless look upon his face.

I'd love Julie Taymor to do this and bring Nordic culture back into it. I loved the chanting in the beginning which just... promptly went away and didn't really come back until the end.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I have to say the movie felt like an extremely elaborate storyboard for the musical. Not saying I didn't enjoy it, but everything was tuned for Broadway. I never got that feeling with Lion King.

Nice timing, my Facebook status three days ago: "I've never really been into stage shows, but when Disney does the inevitable Frozen musical (because they have to, right?), I'll be paying an embarrassing amount of money to be front and center."

Hopefully they'll have a song or two in the back half this time :lol

Timbuktu

Yeah. From the first song I was quite theatrical and in my head I was already picturing how it would look on stage when I watched the movie from the opening with the men cutting ice to a stage rising from nowhere for 'Let it Go'. It's not going to be as innovative in its own right as the Lion King was. When is Aladdin hitting Broadway a again?

I'm a big theatre lover, and loved Frozen, so this is really cool. It'll be really interesting to see how they adapt some of the more fantastic sequences to stage.

pestul

I have to say the movie felt like an extremely elaborate storyboard for the musical. Not saying I didn't enjoy it, but everything was tuned for Broadway. I never got that feeling with Lion King.

That's exactly what my wife said after watching it too. I even thought Tangled was far superior.. but I did enjoy it.

lenovox1

Reads more like a big maybe than a definitive. It sounds like Bob Iger wants Disney Theatricals to develop, but this might take years and years to get off the ground and may never leave the development stages or may never see Broadway. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom