• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dissidia NT looks like a disappointing shell of the former games...

Z3M0G

Edit: Yah... I've done a complete 180 on this.

Online, fantastic. 3vs3, fantastic. Improved combat system apparently, fantastic.

Problem is, I don't really care about any of that... The star of the show in the original games for me (besides the main theme which may be one of my all time favorites), especially in 012, was the RPG-like story mode. Leveling up the character, collecting gear/accessories, exploring worlds and finding treasures, etc...

Watching that stream confirmed my fear from the Beta, in that the story mode is a bunch of unlockable nodes (that you need to earn through other modes I have little interest in playing...) which are either just cutscenes, or I believe a series of battles. More of a branching variant of the standard Fighting-Game-Story-Mode that is popular these days.

This is massively disappointing to me. This was the only game I was really anticipating at the moment... and it just became a hard pass. Let's see what reviews say once they sink their teeth in...

Edit: New theme is still great though, hot damn

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s a online MP gamer world now. I hate it as well but that’s the focus nowadays.

PulseONE

Whilst I am, disappointed in the lack of a proper campaign mode like the previous games, so I agree with you there, I'm still pretty excited for it

I would have liked more side story content with the characters interacting, I loved that in 012, with Firion and Lightning's little story being one of my favorites, it sucks that we might not get more of that

But that being said, it may be different and lacking in some areas but I'm still interested in it, from the beta the gameplay was fun, and I actually like the balance that comes with the removal of some of the RPG mechanics (although I can still hold out hope they'll make a Labyrinth mode like in 012)

Last edited:

Petrae

Just cancelled my Amazon preorder based on this thread. Thanks for the info on this. I had been wavering on the preorder anyway, and this was enough to push me to just dump it.

Boss Mog

3vs3 isn't fantastic at all. In fact it's this game's biggest downfall. The game is a huge mess and you constantly get attacked by unseen opponents. The targetting and camera make this even worse. If they wanted to do a 3Vs3, it should have been a tag system, that would've been great. There's a reason why the first two games worked so well and that was because they were 1vs1 and you could always follow the action.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I mean, we've known this for quite some time now but I'm with you OP and it's the reason I haven't pre-ordered and am not too excited for NT.

I played some of the beta, and it just wasn't for me. I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan, but like you the reason I loved the other Dissidia games was because of the story mode.

They could have given us something super-duper barebones and it would probably be enough to push me towards a purchase.

wvnative

What is with these arena fighters lately with 3v3 battles? Gimmie my 1v1 back.

Also I think combat is downgraded.

Is this full version or just beta ? Considering it's SE they might be planning to patch single player content after release like in FF XV :)

sublimit

Banned
I agree with you OP. The lack of a proper SP campaign mode is very disappointing. For MP i'd have also prefered a 1Vs1 instead of 3vs3.

Z3M0G

I loaded up the PSP version again. Funny thing, last played about 2-3 years ago and i was a few battles away from the 012 ending LOL.

I must admit, it left me wanting the new game. It was confusing to figure out how to play it again... specifically dashing and dodging. You basically might as well hold R at all times. But the wall running amd Rail riding are not in the new one i assume. Shame if so.

Jumping back in with characters around level 35, i forgot that you also unlock new attacks and assign them to attack slots... much like the Tales games.

If the skill set of each character is robust in the new game, it could be great just unlocking and collecting cosmetics over time. Can you swap some attack skills around at least? I assume no.

So while the originals were deep RPGs first and fighting games second, the new one could be a really great thing if it maintains balance. There is great potential for an e-sport here, like S-E's own Overwatch.

So im pretty sure im back on board. It will depend on reviews at this point. I want more of this gameplay in HD glory.

Aranea

I tried the closed and open beta and while the game is fun i'm not really good at online games. Yes the game will have a single player but the main focus is PVP and i'm really terrible at that. Hope the game is a success though.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Have to agree with OP. I was for a long time looking forward to this, but the more info came out the more I realized this isn't for me anymore. Such a shame that they dialed the single player campaign and RPG elements back so much... :(
Cancelled my preorder already some of weeks ago when that became clear.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The actual gameplay looks like the best yet. It's just missing the entire single player portion that most people focused on.

3vs3 isn't fantastic at all. In fact it's this game's biggest downfall. The game is a huge mess and you constantly get attacked by unseen opponents. The targetting and camera make this even worse. If they wanted to do a 3Vs3, it should have been a tag system, that would've been great. There's a reason why the first two games worked so well and that was because they were 1vs1 and you could always follow the action.

This... When playing the beta, I couldn't follow anything. I wished they added a 1vs1 mode that plays like the psp titles.

CEJames

As much as I wanted to love it for its combat, I couldn't really accept the change in focus from RPG story elements to a mostly online arena fighter.

Z3M0G

So regardless of this complaint, after creating this thread and then loading up the PSP game again and playing a bit, this new game is now my most anticipated video game in YEARS.

This was a great video that went into all of the differences between the new game and old, and just a great overview of the new game in general:

I am absolutely insanely HYPED for this game in a way I have not felt in... wow... I can't even remember the last time I was this excited.

I may wait for a price drop for this. Theres just alot of good stuff coming up really quickly, Shadow of the Colossus, Secret of Mana, Far Cry 5 and then God of War.

Last edited:

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
really wanted to buy this game out of love for the previous psp entries, but yeah the beta REALLY threw me off.

NovumAngel

Banned
Not really sure where to post this since there doesn't seem to be an OT for this, but anyway Vayne from XII is being added to the game:

DYKkf01V4AA_sPH

Mathrin

I'm quite enjoying it to be fair. My worry RE lootboxes was unfounded given the shop is for gil only.

I would have liked slightly deeper combat as it seems I keep doing the exact same thing but still enjoying it!

NovumAngel

Banned
Thanks for the post. I really hope this game gets a single player update at some stage. It looks great but I have zero interest in MP.
It does have a single player of sorts but it sounds like a normal arcade mode with some cutscenes thrown in at points.

I had access to the beta and kinda regret not trying it out, this game's multiplayer will probably be dead by the time I decide to buy it.

It does have a single player of sorts but it sounds like a normal arcade mode with some cutscenes thrown in at points.

I had access to the beta and kinda regret not trying it out, this game's multiplayer will probably be dead by the time I decide to buy it.

Thanks for the reply. I was, sadly, aware of that. That's not what I personally consider to be a "single player mode". Unless the latest iteration of the game -in the year of 2018- offers (at bare minimum) the same volume of single player content as the first iteration did in 2008 (an entire decade ago) then the current game release is worth no more than used toilet paper to me. Hopefully it still makes some money for Square Enix and then they can fund a proper release of the full version of the game next year. I'd really love a new full PSP style Dissidia game to play on my PS4.

Last edited:

Z3M0G

I purchases a Switch like a week after buying this... oops...

I should be playing this when I get actual TV time though.

Top Bottom