• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Ourobolus

Banned
Funnily enough, I just bought this game for my friend yesterday so I'm stoked for a co-op playthrough. The new changes should make it a bit interesting.

Ourobolus

Banned
It means that points you spend in the early game on other weapon types aren't wasted. Presumably this will make Tenebrium weapons stronger.

The way I read it is that the Tenebrium skill only acts as a barrier to equipping an item, as a pre-req. Damage would then be calculated based on your weapon skill. I don't think it would make them stronger so much as putting the onus on levelling your weapons instead.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The way I read it is that the Tenebrium skill only acts as a barrier to equipping an item, as a pre-req. Damage would then be calculated based on your weapon skill. I don't think it would make them stronger so much as putting the onus on levelling your weapons instead.

That would be the best way to handle it. But then why would you put more then 1 point in tenebrium now if that's the case? Or perhaps it's just a single point skill now? Hmm.

Ourobolus

Banned
That would be the best way to handle it. But then why would you put more then 1 point in tenebrium now if that's the case? Or perhaps it's just a single point skill now? Hmm.

I'm guessing weapons may have a requirement for higher levels in Tenebrium? Like "requires Tenebrium Level 3"

Ourobolus

Banned
WTF?!

I lost all my saves with this update, unless I'm missing something!

Whew, found them. Apparently it won't load my old profile, but after i moved the old saves into a new one it was just fine.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm guessing weapons may have a requirement for higher levels in Tenebrium? Like "requires Tenebrium Level 3"

I just loaded up a end game save game to check and that's exactly how it works. Putting points in doesn't seem to do anything beyond meet min requirements on the weapons.

DBT85

I stopped as soon as I got to the next town lol! Enjoyed what I played though, just didn't want to go talk to everyone and learn about their inside leg measurements. Been meaning to jump back in.

Unai

I'll start playing this game today. The only 100% PC RPG I have played until today was The Witcher 1, but I have played tons of console RPGs.

Anything I should beware of, besides what is in the OP? I don't plan to follow a guide or anything like that.

Noaloha

I'll start playing this game today. The only 100% PC RPG I have played until today was The Witcher 1, but I have played tons of console RPGs.

Anything I should beware of, besides what is in the OP? I don't plan to follow a guide or anything like that.
The opening couple hours will involve you exploring the town for the most part, very little if any combat. Fill your party up to four members, aim for level three, then consider leaving the city gates. When you do so, pay attention to what the guards say and whether the gates are open already. In town, just do your murder investigation and you should naturally achieve all that's necessary. Don't second guess any creative ideas you have, try them out. If animals you're trying to talk to keep running away, unlink your character from the party, rats etc will flee from anyone without the animal talking skill.

Dsyndrome

Anyone do all four companion quests in one playthrough? Is there any benefit to treating the companions like in Dragon Age and cycling through using them throughout the game? I've been rolling with Madora and Bairdotr since I have a mage and don't care about lockpicking.

Ourobolus

Banned
Having a blast playing through this with a buddy of mine. I bought it for him for his birthday a couple weeks ago, and we're just about to fight Braccus Rex. We went Hard Mode, and I rolled Hunter and he rolled a Mage, with us picking up Madora and Wolgraff. My Hunter is still working on becoming more useful (lacking a decent bow, but I've got plenty of arrows), and he's having to juggle a ton of elements since he's the only mage.

But man, co-op is tons of fun. I'm doing a Lone Wolf playthrough on the side and it's great as well.

Started up a new game, haven't played D:OS since last year, and man, if that isn't a brilliantly realised engine, I don't know what is. It's nice to see Obsidian finding success with their eternity engine, licensing it to inxile, but I would love to see more games made on this engine. I guess I had just forgot, but it looks so good and is capable of pretty much anything you would want it to be in an crpg.

Thrakier

Started up a new game, haven't played D:OS since last year, and man, if that isn't a brilliantly realised engine, I don't know what is. It's nice to see Obsidian finding success with their eternity engine, licensing it to inxile, but I would love to see more games made on this engine. I guess I had just forgot, but it looks so good and is capable of pretty much anything you would want it to be in an crpg.

The engine runs horrible. In every battle, I drop around 40FPS on an i52500k@4.3ghz and a 970 at 980 levels. It looks ok, but it is a heavy performance hog for whatever reason.

The engine runs horrible. In every battle, I drop around 40FPS on an i52500k@4.3ghz and a 970 at 980 levels. It looks ok, but it is a heavy performance hog for whatever reason.

Huh. I don't have any issues, on a 770 with an i5-4670 here, stock speeds. 8gb ram, windows 8. I actually meant more the engine's capabilities in terms of world interaction and gameplay systems that are supported, rather than engine performance, sorry if that was unclear. Not my experience anyway, but surprised you took that from my post, seems more of a spec expectations problem you have there. You try dropping down to high?

There's a "bug" that decrease performance over time , usually if you quicksave/quickload it fixes it for a period of time

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Finished the game last night, 72 hours.

Definitely landed in the top 20 games I've ever played. A few refinements here and there would easily make this game one of the best RPGs ever, if not one of the best games ever.

I probably made the game harder than it should have been, rolling with a witch, two rangers (Bairdotr and my second character), and Madora. Early on the two rangers really made things difficult. Eventually I had them both armed with the rapture and the charming touch abilities so each encounter usually started with 2-3 enemies charmed. Plus my character had Barrage, one of the deadliest skills in the game as far as I could tell (I later read that there's only one Barrage book in the game).

My issues:

1) Bloodstones/Starstones.
These stones are essential to saving the universe, life, and everything. But they're given no more importance than a log, an eyeball, or a gold cup.
- When a NPC drops a starstone/bloodstone or when you find one in the environment, they need to be highlighted better.
- There needs to have a separate spot in your inventory that houses them to signify their importance.
- Music, effects, or something should be played after picking each stone up.
- What would also be handy is a tracking system in the map/secrets page that keeps track of your stones and tells you how many you need & are left to find in the world.
- When you find a star stone you should be teleported to the new portal that's opened up to make the link between the stones and the portals clearer.

I have read so many people online expressing frustration with the star stones. Just tidying this up would make the game much better.

2) Buttons!
It seemed several quests towards the end relied heavily on finding these buttons (area where Leandra's blood is, entrance to source temple, hidden cellar in Hunter's Edge, etc.). I can't think of one right now, but maybe throw in another mechanic to mix things up a bit.

3) Inventory system
Yeah, a lot has been said about this.

4) Journal
By the end of the game, some of the journal entries became just unmanageable. I don't have a solution off the top of my head, but there has to be something better than reading 50 lines of text.

Anyways, amazing game. Very refreshing change of pace!

BdBQJv6.jpg
Divinity dev will announce two new RPGs "whenever they're ready" (GDC Talk by studio head Sven Vincke)

The talk isn't publicly available and it doesn't look like there was any new info about the upcoming D:OS patch or ports, still excited at the prospect of soonish announcements for the follow ups though!

ACE 1991

Should I be getting better frame rate in this game than I am? Regardless of setting it seems to drop my framerate down from 60 to like 35-40 in really busy areas, which makes me think I'm being CPU limited. I have an i5 2500K @ 4.0ghz, so it doesn't seem like this should be occurring.

EDIT: Didn't see the above posts, this makes sense.

I've just bought an i5-4210U Geforce 840M 6 GB notebook. It is above the minimum specs, so I suppose it will run Original Sin, but do you guys think it will handle 30fps on medium settings?

Also, will my notebook run too hot while playing this? Maybe I could lower the resolution and quality to help keep things cooler, graphics aren't very important to me. What do you think?

The only Larian game I've played is Divinity II on the Xbox 360, and man, I love that game. Now I hope I can play Original Sin on my notebook.

Ragnaroz

I've just bought an i5-4210U Geforce 840M 6 GB notebook. It is above the minimum specs, so I suppose it will run Original Sin, but do you guys think it will handle 30fps on medium settings?

Also, will my notebook run too hot while playing this? Maybe I could lower the resolution and quality to help keep things cooler, graphics aren't very important to me. What do you think?

The only Larian game I've played is Divinity II on the Xbox 360, and man, I love that game. Now I hope I can play Original Sin on my notebook.
My friend played through the entire game on a 6-year old i3 laptop so you should have absolutely no problems.

Santiako

I played through the game with a 630M with high setting at about 35-40 fps. You'll be fine.

How does the co-op in this game work, would I be able to play with a friend from start to finish easily with both of our characters being saved etc as a seamless experience so we didn't get out of sync if we only played with each other? I was going to play this solo over the weekend but I just saw it was co-op friendly and I can't find anything that really breaks down how it all works.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
How does the co-op in this game work, would I be able to play with a friend from start to finish easily with both of our characters being saved etc as a seamless experience so we didn't get out of sync if we only played with each other? I was going to play this solo over the weekend but I just saw it was co-op friendly and I can't find anything that really breaks down how it all works.

The game features two mandatory characters.
During co-op, one is controlled by the host and the second one by the co-op partner. Character and game progress is saved on the host's computer. If the host plays the game later without a co-op partner, or the partner leaves, the second character is controlled by the AI (or host player). When the second player rejoins, they start off wherever the host's game is.

Note that the co-op partner can create their own character. The host just has to invite them at the character creation section.

vocab

I dont know if ill ever beat this game. Its just so long. 57 hours, and I just got to the mines.

god....is this kings bounty?

Dries

How is the modding scene with this game? I never even looked at mods, I just realized. Are there any good ones?

Thrakier

I spent more than 70hours in the game just to notice that I didn't get all the bloodstones you need to open the last door. I have a hard time to motivate myself to do all the backtracking...is it actually worth it?

Seanspeed

Banned
I spent more than 70hours in the game just to notice that I didn't get all the bloodstones you need to open the last door. I have a hard time to motivate myself to do all the backtracking...is it actually worth it?
This is where I stopped playing, although I got 94 hours up to that point.

Noaloha

How is the modding scene with this game? I never even looked at mods, I just realized. Are there any good ones?

The modding forums on the Larian page are pretty dead with only a dozen or so, if that, regular names contributing. I follow along with the modding community just to keep an eye on it and look out for my own thread bumps and, from my perspective as someone whose only experience with modding was this one little D:OS thing, the impression I get is that the editor is just too much in a beta stage still to have caught on. It's missing a lot of Quality Of Life stuff that 'proper' modders seem to expect and it's missing a lot of basic streamlining that is necessary to pull in the newbies. My own experience was one huge exercise in pushing through headache and frustration, albeit something I got a lot of enjoyment out of.

The regulars on the modding forum all do seem to be slowly finishing up their passion pieces though. I'd expect two, maybe three 'big' brand new Workshop campaigns going up sometime this summer.

Sadly, it seems like the community ultimately isn't there in this version of The Divinity Engine, understandably, and Larian have pushed their focus elsewhere rather than commit resources to 'finishing' the modding tool. I 100% believe they're instead taking what they've got and working on it in-studio so that whenever their next game releases, it comes with a much more accessible version of Divinity Engine.

Oreoleo

Just look up a list of them online.. There are a couple that are easy to miss but really easy to grab once you know where they are.

I guess its up to you if it's worth actually beating a game you've spent 3 realtime days playing.

Ricker

Finally started this yesterday and it's ok so far...very early on though,just started the first town,killed myself and my partner because I decided to dig a grave lol...

Things I hate is that awful looking effect when you are behind a wall or passing something plus I whish the camera would do a full 360 and also that it would just follow my guys instead of having to move the screen with W,S,A,D or the edges with the mouse...but it's been a while since I played a game like this and a game with K/Mouse really lol,so I will get back into the ''groove''...

Oreoleo

You can "unlock rotation" for the camera in the options for the game. It'll give a warning about glitches in terrain or textures or something but I never noticed a single issue with it.

Ricker

Man this game can be annoying at first...I am in Cyseal and I had 3 instant deaths so far...I think I will F5 every 3 steps I take from now on... we where 4 and after I choose the Lone Wolf talent,they both left and now I can only have one back...?...

What's the use in digging that spot near the cemetary if its an instant death almost right after the fight begins..? or am I missing something here...(like not doing it again after the reload lol..).

Ourobolus

Banned
Man this game can be annoying at first...I am in Cyseal and I had 3 instant deaths so far...I think I will F5 every 3 steps I take from now on... we where 4 and after I choose the Lone Wolf talent,they both left and now I can only have one back...?...

What's the use in digging that spot near the cemetary if its an instant death almost right after the fight begins..? or am I missing something here...(like not doing it again after the reload lol..).

You can have 4 max. However, the Lone Wolf talent removes one (and if you take it for both characters, you're stuck with just those two).

Are you referring to the bomb guy that comes out of the grave? You can stop him from exploding... :D

You can have 4 max. However, the Lone Wolf talent removes one (and if you take it for both characters, you're stuck with just those two).

Are you referring to the bomb guy that comes out of the grave? You can stop him from exploding... :D

Yeah, the fun thing about this game is that sometimes it is so obvious in real life that we never think it will work in game. Hopefully I am not making things more confusing for you here.

Ricker

lol,ok guys I think I know what to do with that bomb guy now...and ok,not sure if I want to go with Lone Wolf then...maybe take it later or something,I didnt even go out exploring yet and had like 3 fights so far...my save is before a harder one,that I beat in Cyseal but I can avoid it also and then I took Lone Wolf so I reloaded before the fight...

Also something I didnt notice or tried yet...can I choose who's turn it is or I need to follow the default order during fights...?

Top Bottom