• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: OS - EE |OT| No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

Anyone know if a dual wield warrior is viable and if so how? I'm enjoying my grenade rogue but I feel lacking in the DPS department whilst my 2hander is getting mega hits/crits like crazy.

Anyone know if a dual wield warrior is viable and if so how? I'm enjoying my grenade rogue but I feel lacking in the DPS department whilst my 2hander is getting mega hits/crits like crazy.

Dual wielding requires more points to invest than just two handing. I can't say whether it's more effective since I haven't tried it out but it could work.

If I have little experience with this kind of game -- should I play on Easy?

Sure. You can always change the difficulty when you get accustomed to the game.

I started this game last week, and have played it a couple of times, for a total of about three hours. It's something I'm picking away at at the moment and hope to devote more time to soon.

Right now, I'm trying to solve the
murder, and have Esmeralda as my main suspect.

I went with a warrior and a character who can cast healing magic, and am playing on explorer because I'm new to this genre.

So far so good! I just wish the characters moved faster and things weren't so needle in a haystack at times.

2hander will always win assuming you invest in some starting AP/recovery/speed

Hmm I don't know. Skills will be better, but once the skills are on cd, dual wield seems potentially better, it's 3AP per attack and you get double crit from the weapons(assuming axes). 2H is 5AP for marginally higher damage per hit. With the removal of Dust Devil as a secondary aoe dump, the main difference is burst versus sustained. 2H burst with Flurry is a lot higher, but if you have a lot of enemies in a single fight, dual wield would probably win out. For boss fights though generally burst is more useful and 2H would be better probably.

Assuming min maxing though, it really makes no difference since everything is going to melt regardless. Game's not balanced around min maxing, if you end up with like 21speed and ~13 str, crafted and upgraded weapons, +6weapon skill with Oath/Rage+Power Stance+Soulsap+Slow/Cripple with bully, everything will die in a turn, including the last boss.

Dual wielding requires more points to invest than just two handing. I can't say whether it's more effective since I haven't tried it out but it could work.

Doesn't actually, unless using wands. Single Weapon doesn't stack with Dual Wield, so you only need points in dual wield, not in single(unless you're switching to shield setups sometimes or whatever).

Alastor3

I just bought the game to a friend so i can try the new EE! Now that the Glass Cannon and Lone Wolf have been nerf down, what is a good build for a mage to learn 3 of the 5 elemental skills ? I heard telekinesis have been nerf down too :(

Nyx

Played the game some more last night, was searching for
Braccus Rex
and eventually found him, after the dialogue the fight started, he used 1 spell and my entire party died, oops.

Thought I'd check a guide and noticed that I was 2 levels below the recommended level for this fight, great!

Then remembered that I still needed to clear the southwest area of Cyseal, the orcs on the beach. They were pretty easy and got me to lvl 8. Now entered the cave over there and waiting for the workday to be over so I can continue.

Still in love with this game!

Hmm I don't know. Skills will be better, but once the skills are on cd, dual wield seems potentially better, it's 3AP per attack and you get double crit from the weapons(assuming axes). 2H is 5AP for marginally higher damage per hit. With the removal of Dust Devil as a secondary aoe dump, the main difference is burst versus sustained. 2H burst with Flurry is a lot higher, but if you have a lot of enemies in a single fight, dual wield would probably win out. For boss fights though generally burst is more useful and 2H would be better probably.

Assuming min maxing though, it really makes no difference since everything is going to melt regardless. Game's not balanced around min maxing, if you end up with like 21speed and ~13 str, crafted and upgraded weapons, +6weapon skill with Oath/Rage+Power Stance+Soulsap+Slow/Cripple with bully, everything will die in a turn, including the last boss.

Doesn't actually, unless using wands. Single Weapon doesn't stack with Dual Wield, so you only need points in dual wield, not in single(unless you're switching to shield setups sometimes or whatever).
2hander is 4AP and the damage spikes at/after lv9

lt519

Just finished Braccus last night too and also had the problem with his Meteor. Almost one-shotted anyone in my party and the burn finished them off. I had to sacrifice a rogue to initiate the fight and then set up traps leading out the door to finish off his bosses. Then oddly enough I was able to do something to him that made him not attack for the rest of the fight when I re-engaged him. It was either a cripple, slow arrow, something. But after that I just kept doing attacks with status effects and crushed him pretty quickly. I was at level 9 too with some pretty decent gear (at least I think, this is my first playthrough).

Really fun game so far but I'm starting to lean heavily on the same tactical RPG as always and that's lure enemies into a defensive position. I also just discovered the awesomeness that is level 9 summons and how it basically adds a meat bag that can add some decent damage to your party.

I've been a little to worried about min/max for a normal play-through so I've missed out on some stuff in Cyseal due to low Perception and Pet Pals. I may just dump some stats into those on my useless rogue and revisit later.

Does beating Braccus and/or reaching Level 9 trigger something that spikes all the damage and defense on gear? The vendors seem to be selling really good gear now and am wondering if I should gear up before I head out of Cyseal or just roll with what I have.

2hander is 4AP and the damage spikes at/after lv9

Hmm hadn't played 2H since original which I thought was 5, it is indeed 4. However, it is quite a bit weaker after I ran some tests to find some numbers.

Tests done at lvl 22 using crafted weapons.

Dual wield axes is 21%crit, 200%crit mult and 794(576-1012) average damage with 6 DW for 3AP.
2H axe is 40%crit, 300%crit mult and 584(419-549)average damage with 6 TwoHand for 4AP.

Average hit with DW factoring crit is ~960, ~320 per AP, with a max hit of 2024(1012x2).
Average hit for 2H factoring crit is ~1051, ~262 per AP, with a max hit of 2247(749x3).

I actually thought 2H did a lot more damage since in the original game I used one and did a lot more damage than about everything else, but looking at it now with dual wield changes, it's really not so great. I believe skills take the combined damage too and don't just hit with main hand, so in most cases, dual wield will outdamage 2H, only on the highest damage range with a crit you'll get higher numbers, and only marginally higher(10% more), while you get a lot less consistent damage the rest of the time.

There's also one good endgame 1H weapon(Hacksaw), while I don't think there's a good 2H one. Even with just crafting, you also benefit from +2str from the skull upgrade, which lets you get 2speed instead as stats, and the weapons themselves only require 15str instead of 16 for 2H. So final verdict would be, dual wielding is superior in pretty much every way, other than range(2H has a bit more reach, though it's not a whole lot) and style.

Oh and for good measures, comparison to backstab daggers:

440(296-584) average damage for 3AP, 200%crit mult, always crit(from behind)
Damage factoring crit is 880, 293 per AP.

Get 20% additional damage on stunned/knocked down enemies from Scoundrel.
Get 6speed bonus from daggers(bonus varies based on the level, starts a 1 per dagger, then 2 per dagger and 3 for endgame) which means 2 attacks more per round.

Shahed

Okay I've been playing this game for a while and here's what my conclusion is.

The RPG mechanics and systems are amazing. There's so much freedom and flexibility in how I want to do things. Building my characters in differents styles, being in full control of the perks and abilities I want. It was so much fun messing around and seeing what diffrent things do. I'm a fan of the battle system with so many different styles and tactics available to me. It's one of the best turn based mechanics I've come across.

I like the way the game doesn't assume I'm stupid either or hold my hand. I need to actually figure out what I need to do next and use my own brain instead of following some blazing waymark. The murder solving was nice. I initially expected the game to just literally tell me what to next. So it was pleasing to have to talk to th epeople again and actually pay attention to what needs to be done and figure things out. I decided the next ability I wanted was the Pet Pal and then used the dog to track things down.

However I then began to grow frustrated with other problems. Everything in this game is so slow. I really don't like the movement speed. I don't need some lightning fast blitz across the screen, but something faster would have been more tolerable. It's near enough unbearable. Then there's the controls. I'm playing this on PS4 but it's by far and away so clearly a PC game. That's fine, games should be designed for whatever systems that suits the audience and developers the most. The controller feels like it just gets in the way and I should be using a mouse and hotkeys on a keyboard. The above slowness is amplified further by things taking longer than they should. I may ony just do a small merchant or crafting run, but it takes so long that i feel in an hour I spend barely any time actually playing.

This translated to the battle system as well. I love the mechanics and the way everything is handled, but it still feels like it takes too long to do basic things which makes the battles last so long. Anyone hear play FFXIV ARR? That's an MMO and clearly has strong design and usage for mouse and keyboard as well. But the controls on a pad worked really well and it's hotbar usage was so fast during a fight and other things. A similar system in place for this game would have made it so much better.

Like I said the game does a lot of things well and there are aspects I really enjoy. But it does feel like a chore at times. I'll see how I get on from now though, but I'm not sure I'll be able to continue which would be a shame because there's a lot to like about Divinity.

Alastor3

I got a huge question: I bought Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition for a friend on GoG. But my Graphic card can't support DirectX11 on Steam. So im thinking im just going to play the vanilla version which i have on Steam, but I don't see anywhere on GoG to download the vanilla version without the Enhanced Edition.

Im having an issue on the quest:
A Forge of Souls

I have no problems getting in to the temple. I can then
go straight past the intersection of lava and to the alchemists table

However when I go back to the
intersection of lava I can't figure out how to make the turn. There's some barrels, but the traps seem too far for me to use those. I can't get the traps to visualize for me unless I highlight them with an AoE spell. I know this is the way to Cassandra's bones. I guess one used to be able to use the bane spell for the dark knights on the sentinels but not in the EE edition. The Lava never disappears either so I can't use a potion of invisibility

Advice appreciated.

Nyx

I'm playing this on PS4 but it's by far and away so clearly a PC game. That's fine, games should be designed for whatever systems that suits the audience and developers the most. The controller feels like it just gets in the way and I should be using a mouse and hotkeys on a keyboard. The above slowness is amplified further by things taking longer than they should. I may ony just do a small merchant or crafting run, but it takes so long that i feel in an hour I spend barely any time actually playing.

This translated to the battle system as well. I love the mechanics and the way everything is handled, but it still feels like it takes too long to do basic things which makes the battles last so long. Anyone hear play FFXIV ARR? That's an MMO and clearly has strong design and usage for mouse and keyboard as well. But the controls on a pad worked really well and it's hotbar usage was so fast during a fight and other things. A similar system in place for this game would have made it so much better.

Like I said the game does a lot of things well and there are aspects I really enjoy. But it does feel like a chore at times. I'll see how I get on from now though, but I'm not sure I'll be able to continue which would be a shame because there's a lot to like about Divinity.

Really? I think the game controls fine with my PS4 controller. Sure it took some getting used to but I don't feel like you at all.

And the pace, well I haven't been annoyed by it so far.

Im having an issue on the quest:
A Forge of Souls

I have no problems getting in to the temple. I can then
go straight past the intersection of lava and to the alchemists table

However when I go back to the
intersection of lava I can't figure out how to make the turn. There's some barrels, but the traps seem too far for me to use those. I can't get the traps to visualize for me unless I highlight them with an AoE spell. I know this is the way to Cassandra's bones. I guess one used to be able to use the bane spell for the dark knights on the sentinels but not in the EE edition. The Lava never disappears either so I can't use a potion of invisibility

Advice appreciated.

Tornado is still the only thing that can remove lava so i suggest using that

did they change the triggers for the
witch
cabin? killing
the mushroom
did nothing like it use to do

They changed them but not sure what happens if you kill them. You can just talk to them now, no need to do the Maradhino stuff, just not sure how it handles killing them to fix it. You killed all of them?

They changed them but not sure what happens if you kill them. You can just talk to them now, no need to do the Maradhino stuff, just not sure how it handles killing them to fix it. You killed all of them?

yea i killed them not i'm stuck not knowing how to
take down the barrier now
as i don't got enough perception to do it the other way even if it is still viable

so dumb...there's a 2nd set of mushrooms

Lanrutcon

Jumped back in to my Tactical playthrough after FO4. Finished off the third map, moved on to the fourth. Absolutely mauling things. Whoever said magic damage suck later on is smoking something. My fights go Hail Attack, Meteor Storm, Loot.

Last thing that gave me any trouble was the optional level 20 boss (
Weresheep
), and by trouble I mean he lasted 3 rounds as opposed to the normal 1.

Lanrutcon

Just killed (story spoilers)
Braccus Rex
with a friend. Holy fuck was that brutal.

Arguably the toughest fight in the game. Later bosses arrive when you've got a lot more experience under your belt, but Braccus fights you when you're still low on levels.

Uriah

Arguably the toughest fight in the game. Later bosses arrive when you've got a lot more experience under your belt, but Braccus fights you when you're still low on levels.

Yeah, one of his spells killed two of my party members in one hit. Had to reload a save.

lt519

Have progressed to the Dark Forest. I skipped a couple things in Luculla like the giant spider and actually fighting things in the Troll Cave. I also didn't lay waste to some of the neutral villages so I can always go back and do that. Messing around in Hunter's Edge for now, fun town.

Switched my scoundrel to a expert marksman and am having a bit easier time with some things. Although some of the higher level daggers and skills are making me want to switch back. My general strategy for each fight is to disable 3-4 combatants with spells as soon as engaged and then create a barrier of fire or ice between me and them. Put a summon on the other side and after they group up on the summon ram over with my Warrior and then do AoE attacks. She's buff enough to survive an onslaught for a few turns.

It has gotten easier in that I've learned my groups strengths and weaknesses but the fights are just as long. I've focused lately on Constitution and Speed instead of the main attack skill since all my characters are at about 15 in their main skill. So I'm not one-shotting things, but it takes a lot to take down my warrior for example.

So now that this has been out for a while, surely some people have finished it. I'm wondering: just how much has the ending content changed from the original version? Anyone have an idea?

So now that this has been out for a while, surely some people have finished it. I'm wondering: just how much has the ending content changed from the original version? Anyone have an idea?

Oh yeah I commented on that a while ago when I finished it. Gonna spoiler tag stuff, but if you haven't finished first game, you shouldn't read on obviously. Not gonna spoiler the content of the new stuff either, just general stuff.

Basically before you'd do the Source Temple right, and then you opened the last room in Homestead leading to that area in space and stuff where you'd fight the last boss.

Now there's a whole area before that. It has only one big fight though against a new boss of sorts, which is sadly terribly designed and if your group is strong you spend as many rounds just skipping turns than actually fighting. Rest of the area is a bit puzzle like kinda, not very interesting though, even annoying in some regards since stuff you have to do isn't particularily obvious. The whole thing felt kinda like a waste of time, although some of the new assets look really cool in there.

Then once you're done, it brings you back to the old place and the old final fight which hasn't changed, other than being a bit easier due to additional NPC help.

So overall the whole thing was meh and definitely not really worth it. The other changes are ok kinda, you get a few new things to do, but it's very small differences. And the Tactician changes were also very meh, with most of them just being one mob with an immunity aura or a floating totem thing with an immunity aura. Mostly immunity auras, and mostly physical or fire ones. I mostly enjoyed playing the game again, but because I really liked the first one. Most of the interesting changes were balance stuff, not content stuff. They did try to make the story clearer however, with more dialogues early on that explain clearly what's going on instead of having you guess for half the game.

Man, just have to say how much I have been loving this game. I never had gotten into the old CRPGs, but I bought the original version a ways back on a whim. The mouse controls were okay but it didn't get a good grip on me.

Fast forward to a month ago I try it out with EE and the gamepad support and it's night and day. Really been loving the whole damn thing. Probably my favorite game since New Vegas.

so nice to have a 13 minute fight with
The Guardian
b/c of that high ass resist to everything in existence my party consisted of except my kick ass unique polearm

daggers drawn while duel wielding and backstabbing the only way to go

lt519

so nice to have a 13 minute fight with
The Guardian
b/c of that high ass resist to everything in existence my party consisted of except my kick ass unique polearm

daggers drawn while duel wielding and backstabbing the only way to go

You aren't supposed to kill him in a fight that long. There's
switches that trigger lava that insta kill him right behind his starting position if you can teleport or lure him into it. I took one member of my party past the lava grate and had another separate member go invisible near the switches. When he chased my one member past the switches and stopped on the grate I had the invisible party member trigger the lava with the switches
or
you can use the wand that removes the Oaks from fights if you have Rot protection

You aren't supposed to kill him in a fight that long. There's
switches that trigger lava that insta kill him right behind his starting position if you can teleport or lure him into it. I took one member of my party past the lava grate and had another separate member go invisible near the switches. When he chased my one member past the switches and stopped on the grate I had the invisible party member trigger the lava with the switches
or
you can use the wand that removes the Oaks from fights if you have Rot protection

eh it wasn't like he could have actually killed any of my guys which is why i even bothered with the fight, he had to constantly rage himself and i just did some -hit and had my shield guy take all the hits

Yo, end game boss fights making me rage.

I can take down
the trife and the conduit
easy. Then I head through the portal to the
first garden and run into a pack of specialized death Knights.
fuck this fight.
they spawn 4 more knights at a time. I can't get them down fast enough to offset the new spawns. After respawn, they're all invulnerable again. Which means I can only make s portion of the total enemies on screen vulnerable to attacks
I can't keep up :/

Yo, end game boss fights making me rage.

I can take down
the trife and the conduit
easy. Then I head through the portal to the
first garden and run into a pack of specialized death Knights.
fuck this fight.
they spawn 4 more knights at a time. I can't get them down fast enough to offset the new spawns. After respawn, they're all invulnerable again. Which means I can only make s portion of the total enemies on screen vulnerable to attacks
I can't keep up :/

Hmm I guess it depends on your choices before, but
what's her face gave me a wand that instantly kills them for 4AP. Wand of domination or whatever?

Also don't remember them spawning more, it's a specific one that does that I guess and might be the first one I killed.

Ourobolus

Banned
I beat the original like 3 times, and I just reached Hiberheim in this first run of EE...hitting that fatigue point. This area is annoying.

Hmm I guess it depends on your choices before, but
what's her face gave me a wand that instantly kills them for 4AP. Wand of domination or whatever?

Also don't remember them spawning more, it's a specific one that does that I guess and might be the first one I killed.

I was wondering if I should use that. Rather obvious actually

Yeah if you fight instead, after a couple turns they
light up pillars thats the color of the elements. Four in total. After a couple more rounds the pillars disappear, 4 more Knights appear and the rest go back to being invulnerable]

phinious

Bought this game on sale for $30 on steam. I played this upto the conclusion of the murder mystery on classic and would have to reload each fight because I ran outta res scrolls. Decided to restart last night with better knowledge of the game, man what a difference W/ no wasted points. Still challenging, but much less frustrating.

Speed seems like the best stay so far. Should I be putting my points there or in each characters main stay?

lt519

Bought this game on sale for $30 on steam. I played this upto the conclusion of the murder mystery on classic and would have to reload each fight because I ran outta res scrolls. Decided to restart last night with better knowledge of the game, man what a difference W/ no wasted points. Still challenging, but much less frustrating.

Speed seems like the best stay so far. Should I be putting my points there or in each characters main stay?

I went with main and constitution. My guys can take a beating and dish a lot of damage but the majority of enemies get the jump on me and I have to wait two rounds to charge up my bigger skills. The way the game plays out with status effects it'd make the game much easier for me if I could have the first turn, immobilize some enemies with low AP skills, and then next turn have the big guns ready. I try to stack initiative gear as well. I wouldn't go nuts with it but I'm somewhere around 15 for main stat and 10 for constitution and 7 for speed. I'd probably pull some back from the main stat on the easier difficulty because you can find a lot of gear with it and most the time you are finishing off enemies plenty easy. I'd probably re-spec somewhere like 13/9/10 for where I'm at. I think at higher difficulties most people go Glass Cannon build which is all main and speed.

Hey guys where can I find someone that can identify lore-master level 4 gear? I killed my guy in Hunter's Edge (whoops).

lt519

Vendors in cyseal can identify everything

Which ones? The female guard that sits at the table couldn't identify them and another vendor at a stall that sells skill books couldn't either. So I went back to Hunter's Edge and that Orc could. Do you get someone in your Homestead eventually?

And damn Grutilda was a beast in that fight, first attempt she killed two of my party members in 4 swings. I had to start the fight with everyone spread out surrounding her.

Top Bottom