• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: OS - EE |OT| No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

Which talents are best for mages? thinking about glass-cannon but I'm afraid my mages will get destroyed against range enemies. Currently level 10 in 2nd town.

Far-Out Man increases of your spells by 2m, which is essentially 2 AP worth of normal movement. Stench makes your mage unappealing to NPCs to talk to but reduces Melee enemy aggro.

But you should get Glass Cannon anyway as its pros outweigh the cons by a country mile. Just make sure to neutralize ranged threats and summon creatures to take aggro away from your mages.

I just got to (act I spoiler) Black Cove.
Holy shit the Death Blaster is the best addition to the game. I kept getting killed by Pontius since I had no answer to his teleport-ooze barrel opener, but then I snuck someone to the Death Blaster and down everyone went. I'm not even sure why it was even added to the battle, but it's a godsend nonetheless.

Abylim

Just restarted. Loving it a lot more now. Went rogue and fire wizard. Using wands on her and Jahan makes combat easier. Plus she summons a spider now.

I finally feel like I'm getting my groove.

I just got to (act I spoiler) Black Cove.
Holy shit the Death Blaster is the best addition to the game. I kept getting killed by Pontius since I had no answer to his teleport-ooze barrel opener, but then I snuck someone to the Death Blaster and down everyone went. I'm not even sure why it was even added to the battle, but it's a godsend nonetheless.

I had been struggling with this fight until I realize I could move some one to the death blaster before the fight even starts while I was talking to pontius.

hmm last patch made it where doesn't matter who has Loremaster it will identify stuff held by others. so no more needing to send it to the proper person and it acts like Blacksmithing

Ooccoo

I just want to say that this game is absolutely amazing. I got it as a Christmas present (planning on playing with my GF) but couldn't resist trying it solo first. It really feels like playing Dungeon & Dragons, which I love. There are a lot of possibilities and the combat is fun. You can choose to ignore stuff or delve to discover hidden stories. I've played around 8 hours but stopped because I want to discover the game in coop (made it just past the
robot boss in the cave
).

I can't wait to play more and buy Divinity II once it's released.

Abylim

Source Abomination
is kicking my ass.

Everyone is level 7, have a Rogue, Madora, Jahan and my wizard companion.

Tried using all 3 of my spiders, tried using magic. He ignores the spiders mostly and just teleports into my party and destroys us.

Annubis

Source Abomination
is kicking my ass.

Everyone is level 7, have a Rogue, Madora, Jahan and my wizard companion.

Tried using all 3 of my spiders, tried using magic. He ignores the spiders mostly and just teleports into my party and destroys us.

He's not that resilient to knockdowns.
Have him stay on the ground and he won't even summon the crabs.

J_Viper

I feel like this game goes out of it's way to be impenetrable and obtuse.

I'm over five hours in, and I'm still lost in Cyseal without a clue of what to do.

I can't go outside the town to complete the main quest, since I'll get wrecked by undead. I can't buy new weapons or armor since I've got no gold. I've read I can just go around town stealing items, which can then be sold, but that's sounds like the antithesis of fun. I've got like twenty quests on the log, but it seems Larian completely forgot that waypoints are a thing now, and wandering around at the pace of a slug is not the slightest bit enjoyable. I really have no idea how to progress here, this is the worst intro I've dredged through since Assassin's Creed III.

Perhaps it's just not for me.

epmode

Perhaps. I wouldn't describe Original Sin as "impenetrable" or "obtuse". Not with those lovely tooltips and that friendly UI and tutorial. It's downright inviting as party-based CRPGs go.

I'll say that it's possible to gain enough levels in the first town through questing that the monsters just outside of town don't murder you. Also, certain town exits are safer than others. Guards warn you if you try to go the wrong way. I believe the lowest level enemies are at the exit that leads to rain.

I can't buy new weapons or armor since I've got no gold. I've read I can just go around town stealing items, which can then be sold, but that's sounds like the antithesis of fun.

Steal paintings if you need cash but you don't really need to do that powergaming stuff.

If you're not having a good time poking around town, it really might not be your kind of game.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
There's a lot you have to figure out through trial and error and you can actually get a lot of EXP just going through talk-chains around town and clicking on things. If you want to grind down the waypoints this is definitely not that kind of game.

I'm over five hours in, and I'm still lost in Cyseal without a clue of what to do.

I can't go outside the town to complete the main quest, since I'll get wrecked by undead. I can't buy new weapons or armor since I've got no gold. I've read I can just go around town stealing items, which can then be sold, but that's sounds like the antithesis of fun. I've got like twenty quests on the log, but it seems Larian completely forgot that waypoints are a thing now, and wandering around at the pace of a slug is not the slightest bit enjoyable. I really have no idea how to progress here, this is the worst intro I've dredged through since Assassin's Creed III.

the roughest part of the game is between lv's 3 and 6 where you are limited on what you can do. After that you cant tackle so much even outside your level depending on how well you are prepared/equipped you are

CHC

What the fuck I just spent 14 hours playing this with my friend on the couch. It's too fun... Like dangerously. I'm a full grown man and I'm sleeping on the couch here instead of going home because we could not stop playing.

This is the best co op play ever convenienced.

Unai

And thanks God for that. Fuckway points.

What's recommended level for first exploring out of town?

3 I think? Maybe 4, but don't think you can hit 4 iirc. But it's not very high, as long as you take the northwestern exit, where it rains, which is the intended way. You can get quite a lot of xp doing quests in town though, and advance the main quest a decent amount, as well as recruit a full party and such. But if you're bored of doing quests you can go there and kill some undeads, clear all the way to west, then go back to town and finish up on stuff. Or don't, it's not required really, other than advancing the main quest. Do get a full party before exploring, you can find the companions easily in town(minus the rogue which is a bit more hidden and requires some fighting) and if you advance the main story, you can hire henchmen instead.

Altima

I had been struggling with this fight until I realize I could move some one to the death blaster before the fight even starts while I was talking to pontius.

I was stucked in that fight as well until I realized that I can use pyramid to teleport in the battle.

so I teleported out of the room and lure them to kill at the door.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Okay I am stuck and I have no idea what to do. i hope its not some sort of weird bug.

Some spoilers but nothing major....

So I freed the White Witch in Hiberheim and I go back to the end of time to discuss what to do next. There are a bunch of adjoining rooms unlocked now and I've talked to everyone there. Talked with the witch and she says follow her sister to Lucella mines.

Only I cannot leave the End of time area. I've spoken with the Arus, Weavemistress, Goblin dude, Witch. I had part of the tapestry patched. i went in all the adjoining rooms and spoke with weird ghost lady. I still can't leave. All the portals just lead to other parts of this area, none go back to Cyceal or anywhere else. The map highlights a golden star where all 4 people are, but I've exhausted every topic of conversation. I am literally stuck and unless I'm missing something obvious, I don't know what I'm supposed to do to move the game forward or leave this place.

There...tagged

EDIT: NM, figured it out. So with a game with waygates and portals everywhere, why have a place that you can only get to in game with a waygate, but not have a waygate to leave it? Thats counterintuitive game design folks. Don't make the simple things hard.

It appears my Philosopher quest is broken. I failed the book challenge, killed the ghost and the quest remains.

I'm enjoying the game more now I'm 'cheating' with the crafting and following online recipes.

HF2014

Yop, this game is my favorite so far?I bought Witcher 3 on sale this week, played it for like 10 hours, and went back to this game. My builds are not perfect, but i plan to try it a second time once i finish it, and maybe go with some henchman next time, maybe a lone wolf build? Tons of possibility!

For me, its my GOTY, before Bloodborne, Splatoon. Just love how deep this game is, feel like a mix of old game Dungeon Siege and Xcom.

zer0das

Banned

Once you figure out Cyseal it gets a bit better. But yeah, it is probably one of the bigger weaknesses of the game. People who like D:OS will probably tell you it is a strength, but games from the 90's are less obtuse than D:OS, and the problem is it goes out of the way to be without there really being a compelling reason. My advice is to stick around through Cyseal at least (if you can tolerate it). The rest isn't that different. But before that probably isn't giving the game a fair shot.

Baalzebup

EDIT: NM, figured it out. So with a game with waygates and portals everywhere, why have a place that you can only get to in game with a waygate, but not have a waygate to leave it? Thats counterintuitive game design folks. Don't make the simple things hard.

This is a major wtf for me. You were taught how to leave the End of Time when you first encountered your first star stone and were whisked away to that plane for the first time. You literally couldn't have left from there any other way, since the teleport stone is only given to you after you return to Rivellon for the first time.

You can also teleport to any activated waypoint shrine AND the End of time from anywhere you damn well please, not just via a waypoint shrine. That snazzy button that gets you out of End of time can be used anywhere, any time (barring a few exceptions).

Failing to understand something so simple is hardly the fault of the design.

HF2014

Once you figure out Cyseal it gets a bit better. But yeah, it is probably one of the bigger weaknesses of the game. People who like D:OS will probably tell you it is a strength, but games from the 90's are less obtuse than D:OS, and the problem is it goes out of the way to be without there really being a compelling reason. My advice is to stick around through Cyseal at least (if you can tolerate it). The rest isn't that different. But before that probably isn't giving the game a fair shot.

Yeah, the beginning is a bit hard to go threw, lots of side quest you need to do, not tons of fight, i recommand using a guide untill your lvl 5, and the west gate that lead to orcs open. All those little side quest help get your lvls. IGN have a pretty good guide for the game, its my recommandation. But after that game really picked up.You need to do some investigation for a nit and after, you can hunt.

Never seen anything on this game until recently hearing it has splitscreen co-op! I would love to play with my wife and I know I'd love it but im unsure she'd be able to get into it.

Is there a demo of any kind for her to try? Or would I just have to go by videos and see if she likes?

I'm having this exact same problem. I'm trying so so hard to love this game because I know the payoff is going to be worth it if I get over the first few hours but I'm really struggling. Any advice for struggling newbies?

Labadal

Playing tactician mode now that I booted up the enhanced edition. I die 3 times on the first fight. I then went and customized both characters and fare much better. No problems in the tutorial dungeon either.

Playing local coop on PS4 with my brother but if you guys have to choose a version, I'd still recommend PC. I'm just happy that this kind of game is being on console, so that's why I decided that I would also get the PS4 version.

Lanrutcon

Yeah, sounds like you maybe want something that'll hold your hand more.

If you're willing to step out of your comfort zone and continue on, consider doing everything in town that you can. When you run out of things to do you should have gained a level or two. Then go out of town and face the undead. Don't try to finish quests. Just explore everywhere and they'll complete on their own.

Your next barrier will be combat. It's hard, and requires you to pay attention. Consider stealing and selling everything you can in town to prepare yourself as best you can.

epmode

Never seen anything on this game until recently hearing it has splitscreen co-op! I would love to play with my wife and I know I'd love it but im unsure she'd be able to get into it.

Is there a demo of any kind for her to try? Or would I just have to go by videos and see if she likes?

Well, you can refund any game on Steam if you've played less than two hours and it's within two weeks of your purchase date.

Taborcarn

Woo, finally beat B
raccus Rex. But it was mainly due to a glitch where for some reason the Ghoul who guards yadda-yadda actually spawned way back outside near his old lighthouse. On each of his turns the camera would warp over to that area, wait 30 seconds, then move on to the next turn.
. I'm just glad the battle actually did end once I beat everyone else.

Miletius

I finally got a chance to play this game over the holiday lull. I can't believe that it took me this long. I'm playing on Classic difficulty right now and the fights are challenging but not too challenging. Wondering if I should just bump it up to tactician now or if the difficulty will get harder before I know it on classic.

Playing a Magey guy plus a Ranger/Geomancer.

Really liking the game though. The amount of tactical options makes it feel like Temple of Elemental Evil, which is another of my favorite role playing games.

HF2014

I'm having this exact same problem. I'm trying so so hard to love this game because I know the payoff is going to be worth it if I get over the first few hours but I'm really struggling. Any advice for struggling newbies?

As i wrote earlier, use the IGN guide till your lvl 5, youll be able after to go outside of town,you have tons on inside quest in the city to do, plus you have to invistigate on the murder to advance the main quest. Once you go out, the game really pick up. You have to find by yourself who sells stuff, who you csn sell, etc.

Im crossing my finger that in the second one, they will add something to make the quest easier to follow, but still, its an rpg, you have to find it by yourself, so it add to the challenge. Iv put i dont know, maybe 100 hours so far in this game, and by looking at the IGN guide, jesus i seem only at a bit more than half of the game.

It really worth it to get use to the first city at the beginning, but im saying it again, IGN guide is really helpful . You dont have to follow it to beat the game,but im following the guide just to show me whats the best thing to do next. This game as massively huge content in it i think its incredible. I like it even more than Witcher 3, which i played for like 10 hours, and for some reason, im just not feeling the overall story so far.

HF2014

I finally got a chance to play this game over the holiday lull. I can't believe that it took me this long. I'm playing on Classic difficulty right now and the fights are challenging but not too challenging. Wondering if I should just bump it up to tactician now or if the difficulty will get harder before I know it on classic.

Really liking the game though. The amount of tactical options makes it feel like Temple of Elemental Evil, which is another of my favorite role playing games.

It get harder, fights will become more a pain in the ass. When you will have elements ( exemple poisoned floor) you will need to adjust, im not saying its an incredible challenge, but if you like it rough, you can bump it. Guess fight will be harder, dunno if AI will make monster think differently, but im pretty sure mosnter will hit harder and you will need more healing.

And imwill look forward the game you said, Temple of Elemental Evil, i never played it, seem interesting!

Lanrutcon

Bump it up, but prepare for some shockers. Tactician mode adds some nasty twists to some of the fights.

Miletius

It get harder, fights will become more a pain in the ass. When you will have elements ( exemple poisoned floor) you will need to adjust, im not saying its an incredible challenge, but if you like it rough, you can bump it. Guess fight will be harder, dunno if AI will make monster think differently, but im pretty sure mosnter will hit harder and you will need more healing.

And imwill look forward the game you said, Temple of Elemental Evil, i never played it, seem interesting!

I believe ToEE is available on GoG. Just make sure to get all the CO9 fixpack with it because it makes the game a ton better.

HF2014

Well as much as i enjoy this game , playing it on ps4, i just experience my second freeze in a row, facing
The Spider Queen, in the sand area
. Anyone have experience any freezing with the PS4, specificly at that area?

HF2014

Ok, guess it was a bug, my third try, everything went smooth. It strange, i once got one crash, getting and error, sending the report. Hope a patch could fix these little issues. Its kind of weird to have these kind of errors on a ps4 game.

8 hours in and I can safely say this game is incredible. I'm playing split screen on PC and it works so well for such a complex game and the controller support is great.

If this quality keeps up it will be one of the best rpgs ever. How did this not win every GOTY award going?

8 hours in and I can safely say this game is incredible. I'm playing split screen on PC and it works so well for such a complex game and the controller support is great.

If this quality keeps up it will be one of the best rpgs ever. How did this not win every GOTY award going?

I'd assume it wasn't in the race for most of them since it was technically a 2014 game, the EE isn't really a "new" game, just an updated version. It won quite a few GOTY awards in 2014.

Abylim

After struggling with Source A
bomination, the game has been amazing. I accidentally figured out I could cheese him through the door behind him, rofl.

Then I discovered Grenades and oil/poison barrels. Braccus Rex didnt live long enough to do anything, shame the other mini bosses show up regardless. I blew through almost all the bosses in Cyseal once everything started clicking. The only wrinkle was Twins joined by fire, but even then, just pulled everything far away, killed it all, then destroyed the totem.

I'm now into Lucalla Forest. Its kinda slowed down a bit, but I'm still digging it.
I heard there were some bugs to look out for around here, any word?

I heard there were some bugs to look out for around here, any word?

Only thing I heard from this thread was that if you kill all the
talking mushrooms
, you can't get the barrier down around the
witch's house
anymore or something. So talk to them before killing them(or don't kill them).

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So me and a buddy are picking this up, semi-blind. I'm very familiar with Infinity Engine stuff but I know this is quite a bit different. Are there any sites that are a good resource for like character builds? I always like the theorycrafting side of stuff when it come to making your main dude in CRPGS but I haven't found much so far.

mojo2

Neo Member
I'm a little disappointed that the game has been very linear so far, I'm
15 hours or so in, cleared "everything" and up to church next
I mean I had to clear every place up to get my characters up to the level to follow the main "mystery". Average player has to do all the bigger sidequest in order to proceed. I guess I hoped it to be sandboxey.
And the equipment thing, why can't it just be a pool between everyone ffs. It just doesn't make sense?!

Other than that the game feels really great. Boss fights really deliver a sweet feeling of triumph. Haven't played offline this much in years, other than Souls-games.

Karu

I fought the first area end boss twice and got one-shoted. Will see if I have the patience to invest to get over him. For now, moved on to the second area though.

Top Bottom