• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: OS - EE |OT| No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

I am so pissed off with this game. Finally got to the end after 120hrs and almost guide free only to be told that I don't have enough star stones. What the hell am I supposed to do now? Just go back out traipsing round endlessly looking for something I may have missed? What a load of bullshit.

I am so pissed off with this game. Finally got to the end after 120hrs and almost guide free only to be told that I don't have enough star stones. What the hell am I supposed to do now? Just go back out traipsing round endlessly looking for something I may have missed? What a load of bullshit.
You're probably missing the one from
Iron maiden in Hiberheim. It's easy to miss, just destroy it if you haven't.

I had one of the homestead portals I hadn't visited. I had all the star stones all along. Grrr, stupid message.

Sheesh, this game sure did drag in the last couple of hours. I never thought I'd see the end credits.

Crumbtiny

I'm really enjoying the game, but I'm so paranoid about my character builds. I end up second guessing and agonizing over how I'm distributing my points (especially when it comes to magic) and worrying I'm not creating a viable character.

When it comes to magic, if I want to focus on the 4 major elements (earth, water, air, fire) should i split those 4 between two different mages? Is it possible for one mage to have all four and then say witchcraft or would that be spreading that mage too thin?

Also is it worth investing in wands/staffs (2 handed)? I mean adding points to that just increases the melee damage you do with them right?

Vamphuntr

I'm really enjoying the game, but I'm so paranoid about my character builds. I end up second guessing and agonizing over how I'm distributing my points (especially when it comes to magic) and worrying I'm not creating a viable character.

When it comes to magic, if I want to focus on the 4 major elements (earth, water, air, fire) should i split those 4 between two different mages? Is it possible for one mage to have all four and then say witchcraft or would that be spreading that mage too thin?

Also is it worth investing in wands/staffs (2 handed)? I mean adding points to that just increases the melee damage you do with them right?

You can't have a character master all elements. With the number of points you get you can max two elements in your playthrough. It's important because if your element level is too low spells will cost too much AP to be of use (requiring to stock many turns). That was for the vanilla version don't think it changed much with the EE. I mean you can put all 5 element on one but you won't be able to cast most spells in battle.

keuja

Split them between 2 different mages. But I don't find necessary to have the max level 5 in most schools of magic. Level 4 is usually sufficient and I find it a better investment to put my points in defense, get level 2 or 3 in other magics and later on, exchanging the point for primary attributes.
Not worth investing in wand IMO, as a mage you deal damage / control crowd/buff with your spells and basically never use basic attacks.

So I got this last week on PS4. At first I wasn't feeling it and was about to give up, but I kept going and I'm loving the fuck out of it now. Shame there's no hide helmet option, that I can find, but most everything else is great.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any reason to get the PS4 version instead of the PC version? I already own the PC version but it has been unplayed.

I'm playing D:OS classic, I've just entered Hunter's Edge with my party at level 16, and this area seems too easy so far:
I talked my way in through the gate without an Immaculate amulet (i.e. I won RPS) and not only can I freely walk around the orcs and Immaculates that have taken over the town, I can attack them several times and usually drain their health to near half before they stop reprimanding me and start the fight.
I figure I want to kill all these guys because I don't want to leave XP on the table, but it's not that difficult and it doesn't feel like I'm playing the game right. Thoughts?

Cracklox

So, have been playing this, and after a pretty slow start, things are starting to click and its becoming a lot of fun. Level 7 and coming towards the end of Cyseal I think. I managed to go the wrong way a few times and unlocked the Black Cove and the Old Church before
Evelins hideout
so working through there now.

Game really rewards out of the box thinking, and I keep having to remind myself that the straight forward option, will usually be the hardest. Its fun trying to find ways to break the game (barrels, nail bombs, invis and fireballs is my fave so far. heeheehee. Poor Raggadoth).Reading through this thread over a few days of otherwise boring commuting has been a massive help as well. Some pretty creative shit going on that I'm not sure I would have (read: wouldn't have) thought of myself.

Biggest gripe is one that I'm sure gets mentioned plenty and that's the base movement speed. Coming straight across from Diablo 3 and clearing Grifts in 3 or 4 mins, its pretty jarring. I'm getting more used to it, and also learning the waypoints are generally pretty well placed and fast traveling is easy to do from anywhere in a jiffy

A couple of questions for anyone that might be able to help.

- The aforementioned Black Cove. When I got in there, not far from the entrance was an electrified black cloud that would stun if you tried to pass it. Is there something that clears that? Or is it because I was out of sequence? With this game, something tells me its not the latter, but I couldn't figure out how to clear it. I had a quick glance at the wiki (spoilers!), and it also mentioned a quest would trigger when you enter, but I had nothing....I guess teleporting past the cloud can be done which leads to question 2.

- The teleport crystal thing you find. I think I sorta tuned out when I found it and on the whole explanation on how to use it exactly. I have one bit equipped, but should there be another? That's pretty much what the description says, but I searched all through my inventory and I only have 1. Do I need to go check that bathroom again? I'm pretty sure I lost an argument with the girl in the room where you get it, so hopefully that hasn't screwed me.

- Regarding allocation of skill points, I hear you can more or less max 2 things. Does that leave some room to dump (or in my case, waste) points into other trees. I was sorta throwing points around a bit early, before I became a little more focused with how I want to build my toons. I know re-speccing is a thing, but that isn't something you can do till quite a bit later on if I understand correctly

- A more general sort of question. A rough idea on how much of the overall game world Cyseal makes up? I know there's more areas, but I feel like I'm still at the tip of the iceberg. Is it similar to say White Orchid in Witcher 3, where they could almost have the whole game set in if they pack in some more content, but then you find out that that whole area is basically a prologue and totally dwarfed by the game proper?

Anyhoo, game now has me thinking about playing it, when not playing it so I'm glad I struggled (and I did struggle. More with the pacing then difficulty) through the opening few hours

Lanrutcon

A couple of questions for anyone that might be able to help.

- The aforementioned Black Cove. When I got in there, not far from the entrance was an electrified black cloud that would stun if you tried to pass it. Is there something that clears that? Or is it because I was out of sequence? With this game, something tells me its not the latter, but I couldn't figure out how to clear it. I had a quick glance at the wiki (spoilers!), and it also mentioned a quest would trigger when you enter, but I had nothing....I guess teleporting past the cloud can be done which leads to question 2.

Check if the cloud has a source. The source should be in the cloud, thus hard to spot.

- The teleport crystal thing you find. I think I sorta tuned out when I found it and on the whole explanation on how to use it exactly. I have one bit equipped, but should there be another? That's pretty much what the description says, but I searched all through my inventory and I only have 1. Do I need to go check that bathroom again? I'm pretty sure I lost an argument with the girl in the room where you get it, so hopefully that hasn't screwed me.

Using one takes you to the other. Use this to get your second one. Make sure to pick it up.

- Regarding allocation of skill points, I hear you can more or less max 2 things. Does that leave some room to dump (or in my case, waste) points into other trees. I was sorta throwing points around a bit early, before I became a little more focused with how I want to build my toons. I know re-speccing is a thing, but that isn't something you can do till quite a bit later on if I understand correctly

You will have enough skill points to max 3 skills, plus extra to get you some defensive skills such as Willpower. Remember: there's gear that gives you +skills as well.

- A more general sort of question. A rough idea on how much of the overall game world Cyseal makes up? I know there's more areas, but I feel like I'm still at the tip of the iceberg. Is it similar to say White Orchid in Witcher 3, where they could almost have the whole game set in if they pack in some more content, but then you find out that that whole area is basically a prologue and totally dwarfed by the game proper?

Cyseal is 1/4th of the game in terms of landmass.

Anyhoo, game now has me thinking about playing it, when not playing it so I'm glad I struggled (and I did struggle. More with the pacing then difficulty) through the opening few hours

Cracklox

^ Thanks. Good to know. Sounds like I need to go back to that bathroom for the tele device. I picked 1 up while I was in there. Thing is when I use it it still teleports me to my other character so I thought she had a piece somewhere in her inventory. Tbh, I haven't spent too much time trying to figure it out. Prob at the top of the to-do list when I can fire it up later but.

In other news, after hearing about
evelin
being a tough fight, she quite literally did nothing against me. Just stood in a flaming pile of poisonous, oily crap for a couple of turns while I hit some ranged aoe on her. She had a few goes and her staff just glowed for a bit, and nothing happened <shrug>

Did get put in my place by that
fire guy north of the church tho
he just had a tonne of hps. Could deal with his mates and keep him stunned for a good while, but couldn't do enough damage while he was cc'd. Then he gets a go and yeah.... I'm sure there's a trick to it to make things easier
i did try rain. Didn't seem to do much
Only tried it once before bed last night so another thing to prob tackle when I get on next

Stainless

Just fired the game up and got started earlier tonight and finally have my full party and have just been picking up and completing quests in town. A few questions... It looks like I won't be able to put Leech on Madora on her next level because she already came stock with comeback kid and the skills are incompatible? It seems leech is perfect for a melee character and I want to use it so I don't understand that it looks like I won't be able to.

For the original 2 characters you created, does the game ever automatically choose talents for you or give you talents based off other things? I have my pyro/geo and I recall selecting all skilled up and know-it-all but I don't recall selecting far out man but I definitely have it (seems a good one I would have chosen eventually anyway)

Also how do I level pickpocketing? Does it improve with use or do I have to do it via the tree?
I chose L1 with my ranger and although i've picked some pockets, I can't pickpocket the elf that wants me to kill victoria, I'm thinking I might just kill the guy, he seems pretty evil.

I currently have 4 ability points but I can't get my pyro past rank 2, is that a level restriction to prevent from getting OP?

Thanks, I'm really just trying to take it all in, I had put off starting the game as I was a bit paranoid about the complexity of the game but I am really enjoying it already

Lanrutcon

Just fired the game up and got started earlier tonight and finally have my full party and have just been picking up and completing quests in town. A few questions... It looks like I won't be able to put Leech on Madora on her next level because she already came stock with comeback kid and the skills are incompatible? It seems leech is perfect for a melee character and I want to use it so I don't understand that it looks like I won't be able to.

For the original 2 characters you created, does the game ever automatically choose talents for you or give you talents based off other things? I have my pyro/geo and I recall selecting all skilled up and know-it-all but I don't recall selecting far out man but I definitely have it (seems a good one I would have chosen eventually anyway)

Also how do I level pickpocketing? Does it improve with use or do I have to do it via the tree?
I chose L1 with my ranger and although i've picked some pockets, I can't pickpocket the elf that wants me to kill victoria, I'm thinking I might just kill the guy, he seems pretty evil.

I currently have 4 ability points but I can't get my pyro past rank 2, is that a level restriction to prevent from getting OP?

Thanks, I'm really just trying to take it all in, I had put off starting the game as I was a bit paranoid about the complexity of the game but I am really enjoying it already

Leech and Comback Kid combined essentially makes your character immortal, so they made them mutually exclusive. Was abused to high hell in vanilla.

You pick all your own talents. Remember you start with 2.

All skills get better by point investment. Pickpocket works the same as, let's say, stealth.

Rank 3 Pyro should cost 3 ability points. Do you have enough Intelligence?

Cracklox

Yeah, so found my other teleport pyramid. Didn't realise I was looking for a blue version. Derp

Dat inventory clutter doe. Why wouldn't it auto sort when things get removed. Gaps get left everywhere when you use things and then new shit fits right into those gaps in the middle of god knows what. I know there's filters but that seems to be only per character and they're not the most handy anyway. Moving on...

Stainless

Leech and Comback Kid combined essentially makes your character immortal, so they made them mutually exclusive. Was abused to high hell in vanilla.

You pick all your own talents. Remember you start with 2.

All skills get better by point investment. Pickpocket works the same as, let's say, stealth.

Rank 3 Pyro should cost 3 ability points. Do you have enough Intelligence?

Thanks Lan for the responses and helping us newer players out.

I understand those two skills are exclusive, I just wish I wasn't locked out of one because when I meet the character they already have the other. I would like the choice. Maybe not a big deal if comeback is better but madora is my only melee and leech seems like it would have been a really good one to have.

That makes sense now, I believe I only chose all skilled up so far. Is all skilled up something I should select for all my characters? Seems like it is

I think I'm just afraid to put many/more points into something like pickpocket when I could be putting it in something that maybe benefits combat more... (Don't have pet pal yet)

Stat restriction may be the issue, I think I'm at 9 INT, but will have to check this evening. I'm only like L4 and I know, sure it seems silly, but it feels like I really need to be extremely careful with my abilities and talents selections

Kind of like lox I was used to the more action and movement speed of Diablo. Sometimes I use click to move and rummage through character menus and inventory while my characters run to the marker.

Lanrutcon

I understand those two skills are exclusive, I just wish I wasn't locked out of one because when I meet the character they already have the other. I would like the choice. Maybe not a big deal if comeback is better but madora is my only melee and leech seems like it would have been a really good one to have.

That makes sense now, I believe I only chose all skilled up so far. Is all skilled up something I should select for all my characters? Seems like it is

I think I'm just afraid to put many/more points into something like pickpocket when I could be putting it in something that maybe benefits combat more... (Don't have pet pal yet)

Stat restriction may be the issue, I think I'm at 9 INT, but will have to check this evening. I'm only like L4 and I know, sure it seems silly, but it feels like I really need to be extremely careful with my abilities and talents selections

Kind of like lox I was used to the more action and movement speed of Diablo. Sometimes I use click to move and rummage through character menus and inventory while my characters run to the marker.

Skilled Up is a very solid buy for everyone in EE.

Non-combat skills are great for making a living and different approaches to problems. I would suggest only putting in a maximum of 3 ranks in a non-combat skills, as they are pretty common on gear. So get 3 ranks (including traits!) and then swap in gear for the extra 2 points. This works amazingly well with Barter, Crafting, Blacksmithing and Lorekeeper.

If you do everything you can throughout the game you'll end up with points to spare. A completionist run through turns your characters into demigods around 3/4 through the game. Plus, you can respec. So don't stress too much about spending points and buying stuff.

Cracklox

Yeah, cheers you've been -

Lanrutcon

Banned

Crap.

So after realising I wasn't getting a lot of usage out of Jehan, outside of healing and some rain, I swapped out to archer girl, with the unpronounceable name (I 've taken to calling her Frank), gave her 1 point in the water tree for the heal and rain, glass cannoned her up and otherwise just going to focus on Marksman and bows. She's a beast. Can usually get at least 2 special arrows off per turn (sometimes 3!!), which really helps in getting those elemental combos out and cc'ing everything. I'm not sure if I'm gimping myself by having one of my better dps'ers heal as well, but it's mostly for between encounters anyway.

All that said had a real tough fight with the mob behind the withered gardens. Had 3 of the party down, and one of their archers missed a shot that would have killed my last standing guy at the end. Got a rez scroll off after that and managed to finish off the last couple of mooks. Probably the most sweaty palms battle I've had yet. Good times

Stainless

Managed to get to L7. I gave my ranger pet pal but I should have given it to someone else and chose scientist instead because now I need to do some crafting but am too low of a level. Hopefully I can find some +crafting gear to temporarily put on or deal with it until my next talent point

Cracklox

I'm not sure how i would have gotten as far as I have without Pet pal. Its been pretty crucial for a few quests.

I think I've done a bad thing, and I'm not sure how to undo it, or even if I can. I cleared Cyseal and level 10 now, and mucking around in Silverglen. The vendors store, in the west of town has a off limits room that I stealthed into and looted everything like usual. All good so far. I was wondering around doing some other stuff and accidently took my whole party through the room. I think I had been warned once, so folks got aggro and a fight ensued. Not wanting to kill any of them, I fled the fight and got outta there.

Anyway was on my merry way, and found the escort quest just outside of town, and completed that ok. Dude was very thankful etc. So off he went to do his thing in the area that I had aggroed folks. I had sorta forgotten about that and followed him up there to see what he might be able to do for me. Anyway turns out the people up there were all still a little pissed about my earlier trespassing and decided to go me again. INCLUDING THE FUCKING DUDE I JUST SAVED!!!!! Who despite being useless in the escort quest when he was on my side, decided he could now hit for half a health bar. I just quit out, and now I'm just staring at the title screen, wondering if I want to go on.

Am i screwed? Seems like he could be kinda helpful. I also don't think I have a save that goes back before aggroing the townfolk so thats not really an option. Any help would be appreciated. Can I get by without that NPC? Or is there any way for me to say sorry or do time or whatever, so everyone chills the fuck out?

-edit- ok after a little googling I found I'm only a little screwed. It seems as if their only pissed at one of my party. If I split and leave her behind they don't ark up. Just have to remember to do that every time I wander up there. My quick search also indicated the aggro may wear off with time, so we'll see what happens

Stainless

Finished the barracus rex fight. First two attempts I got owned instantly and thought there was no hope, then I got it fairly easily on the third try (well, of my characters did die during the fight)
I prepped the area with rain then froze rex to start the encounter. I got some decent loot and I ended up using a magical unlock scroll to open the chest after the fight was over. I got the scroll from Arhu's study.

right now I have tank with man at arms and 2h
ranger with bow and expert marks
mage with hydro/aero and mage with pyro/geo

I don't have any witchcraft and thinking I might not even need it as I've managed without so far. Started on the next area after Cyseal,

Mathieran

Banned
I've been working on this game for the last few weeks and was having a blast until near the end.

First off I got stuck for a few hours trying to find the way into the source temple, and after I got in I learned that I had to collect all the star stones I missed. I know I probably have most, but have no idea how many I have or what I need.

It totally killed all desire to play anymore. I bought secret of the stars from the lady at homestead, but I swear that I got some of those. I went through my inventory for blood stones, I had one, and that was it. Does anyone know if for sure whether or not I would have been able to but secrets for stones I had? I just don't even know where to begin without a guide. Maybe if I go through my quest log I might end up getting them all.

Regardless, I think I need to put down the game for a while before having interest in playing again.

Mivey

Shame there's no hide helmet option, that I can find, but most everything else is great.
That's funny: In the PC version there is a toggle to hide the helmet, so it is in the game, but there is no option to access this per-character toggle in the controller UI. Maybe if enough people bug them, they could patch it in, since it is actually already implemted.

I'm restarting the game with the EE soon.

Didn't get terribly far originally, found it not very user friendly and very difficult at times. I think I'll play on explorer mode and just enjoy it rather than try to challenge myself too much.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
How do I get into
Temple of the Dead so I can beat Cassandra and free Arhu?
I'm almost done with this thing.

Also nice to find out you can teleport those annoying sentinels.

Haven't paid attention to this game since EE launched, I was wondering if they added a way to zoom the camera out further? Or if there's a mod to do this same thing, or just expand the FOV? I played about an hour of OS and the EE, but the camera just felt way too claustrophobic for me to play very much.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I just bought the game for the PS4 and wanna know if the explorer difficulty is too easy or not? Thinking about going with classic instead.
I just wanna have a good time playing and don't want TOO MUCH strategy.

Omg I just heard about this and see that it has SPLIT SCREEN!

How awesome is it on ps4? Run alright? What are the features, exactly? If I open up a menu, does it affect the other player? Is there a distance we can run away from each other?

Basically, my sis and I enjoyed the HECK Out of Baldur's Gate on PS2. Ive never played an RPG like that since. I figured Diablo III might be that, but I never jumped on it because it felt like it was a bit different.

Anywho, for an RPG, how heavy is the game's story/lore? Do we need to know a lot before jumping in? Is it enjoyable if I liked Baldur's Gate?

kai3345

Banned

How awesome is it on ps4? Run alright? What are the features, exactly? If I open up a menu, does it affect the other player? Is there a distance we can run away from each other?

Basically, my sis and I enjoyed the HECK Out of Baldur's Gate on PS2. Ive never played an RPG like that since. I figured Diablo III might be that, but I never jumped on it because it felt like it was a bit different.

Anywho, for an RPG, how heavy is the game's story/lore? Do we need to know a lot before jumping in? Is it enjoyable if I liked Baldur's Gate?

Well, it's turn based. You cited Diablo and Baldur's Gate PS2, both of which were real time. So just make sure you go in knowing that so it doesn't take you by suprise.

Labadal

The game runs alright. You opening the menu does not affect the other player. You can basically run where you want when you are in the same region. The story and lore aren't super heavy, you can read books and stuff. No prior knowledge is needed to play the game. I liked both Baldur's Gate games on PS2 and while these games share some things: levelling up, questing, exploring, crafting, solving minor puzzles, slaying monsters and whatever, there are differences.
The biggest difference is that this game has turn-based combat. The game world is divided into bigger regions and within those regions, players aren't stuck to eachother. The tone is less serious in this game. Loot is very random and there is no set class system, even if you can choose one from the start. Each player can also have one companion with them which lets you control two characters.

I especially liked BG: Dark Alliance 2 and this game is one of my favorites in recent memory but my fondness for thse games has nothing to do with these games being sinilar.

aravuus

Speaking of, what happens if one player initiates combat while the other is on the other side of the area? Does he go into turn-based mode too or can he just continue shopping and chatting with NPCs and whatever? Can he join the battle later on?

Also how do the recruitable companions follow your players? One for each?

I'm not sure my brother is that much into turn-based games, but I'd still love to give the game a try with him.

Speaking of, what happens if one player initiates combat while the other is on the other side of the area? Does he go into turn-based mode too or can he just continue shopping and chatting with NPCs and whatever? Can he join the battle later on?
The other player joins the battle when they get near the battle. Some strategies can even rely on this to have one player initiate and the other to run around and flank before starting on their end.

You can freely assign your two companions. You can do one each, or both on one, etc. If you're going lone wolf, you can even have no companions -- just you and the other player.

^ I have no problem with turn based, hopefully it's actually good. I can enjoy this alone, but I would hope the game is actually good.

I think Im just getting older, but I get tired and lose interest with so many games these days, and RPGs are hard to swallow

I dont care about Fallout, Dragon Age, Final Fantasy, Skyrim, Witcher... I try to finish those games, but I run out of steam, or rather, the game just drags on for me

I do love a handful of RPGs, I really dug the oriignal Dragon Age for example, and I love Dark Cloud 2.. Baldur's Gate has some fond memories for me. It doesnt have to be perfectly alike, but playing split screen in an RPG and finding loot and all that sounds fun to me

Labadal

I'm not sure my brother is that much into turn-based games, but I'd still love to give the game a try with him.
1. He goes about, doing his own thing as far as I remember. If you manage to get to the

2. In co-op, I remember it being one each.

aravuus

Awesome, thanks for the replies! Looks like the game's on sale right now too on PS4, so I'll probably buy the game as soon as I get home

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I'm still at the beginning of the game, at the first town trying to solve that murder.
But man this game is hard and it takes patience.

Is there any way to heal the whole part at once? Like resting or sleeping?

Nyx

Awesome, thanks for the replies! Looks like the game's on sale right now too on PS4, so I'll probably buy the game as soon as I get home

Why not buy it in the PS store online and download it to your PS4 before you come home? ;)

Anyway game is awesome, have fun!

Is there any way to heal the whole part at once? Like resting or sleeping?

Yeah you can sleep in the inn and heal everybody.

Kaz42

The other player joins the battle when they get near the battle. Some strategies can even rely on this to have one player initiate and the other to run around and flank before starting on their end.

I kept having to do this strategy in one specific fight because a certain group of yahoos kept running in and dying when I wanted them alive for xp bonuses. Had to have them follow one character around while the other did all the hard work and won the fight. Took so many tries.

Btw: that's one cool avatar you have, Nyx

nortonff

Why not buy it in the PS store online and download it to your PS4 before you come home? ;)

Great, thanks!

kai3345

Banned

You can sleep in any bed for that matter, not just at the inn. Often times you'll find buildings out in the world that might have beds you can sleep in. Just click on them and your character will start healing

aravuus

The console happened to be unplugged for the first time in a while lol. Also I just received a copy of Diablo 3 for the PS4 too which will be our go-to co-op RPG until we get bored of it, so D:OS will have to wait a bit longer.

The local coop in D3 is fucking fun too btw, just lost like 4 hours to it

Top Bottom