• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: OS - EE |OT| No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

Bane

While I wait for my copy to arrive I've a question. I'm going to be playing this completely in co-op and I know you make your first two characters in the character creator but how do you get more? Do you find one and it's already a set class, or do pop into the creator and make them whatever you want? We typically play certain classes each so I wonder if we'll have to wait a while to find stuff we like.

Anno

While I wait for my copy to arrive I've a question. I'm going to be playing this completely in co-op and I know you make your first two characters in the character creator but how do you get more? Do you find one and it's already a set class, or do pop into the creator and make them whatever you want? We typically play certain classes each so I wonder if we'll have to wait a while to find stuff we like.

You get them premade and the first couple relatively quickly. Alternatively you can both take the Lone Wolf trait which eliminates further companions but makes your two created characters more powerful.

... I know you make your first two characters in the character creator but how do you get more? Do you find one and it's already a set class, or do pop into the creator and make them whatever you want?..

The first. There are four companions you find in the first town, you can take two with you. As the game is classless, you can modify their skills over time to suit your needs. Their starting archetypes:

Two handed warrior
Air/Water mage
Ranger
Rogue

Staf

Me and the GF is having a blast co-oping this. She being a water mage and i'm a sword/shield fighter. I hope a lot of games steal DOS combat system, it's really great without being too overwhelming.

Nete

Thinking to start a new game, this time playing alone instead on coop. That 'Tactician' mode looks lovelly.

Have they changed how Tenebrium skill works or does it remain the same? Ignoring all the points you had on the regular types of weapons and so.

The first. There are four companions you find in the first town, you can take two with you. As the game is classless, you can modify their skills over time to suit your needs. Their starting archetypes:

Two handed warrior
Air/Water mage
Ranger
Rogue

I guess I won't make any of those classes with my first two characters.

Thinking to start a new game, this time playing alone instead on coop. That 'Tactician' mode looks lovelly.

Have they changed how Tenebrium skill works or does it remain the same? Ignoring all the points you had on the regular types of weapons and so.

I'm wondering how difficult the game will be if you play tactician with that lone wolf trait where you don't get any companions.

patapuf

I feel beyond the great combat, what made Divinity so fun is that you had so many options to solve quests and puzzles. And by options i don't mean skillchecks (though solutions driven by them exist as well).

It's the fact that you have a powerful telekinesis spell, that you have teleport stones and all kinds of other stuff that lets you fool around in the gameworld. It's the kind of game that when you try if something works it usually does.

zarnold56

Does shareplay work for this on PS4? Might pick it up if I can co-op with a friend through shareplay to try and convince him to buy it.

I feel beyond the great combat, what made Divinity so fun is that you had so many options to solve quests and puzzles. And by options i don't mean skillchecks (though solutions driven by them exist as well).

It's the fact that you have a powerful telekinesis spell, that you have teleport stones and all kinds of other stuff that lets you fool around in the gameworld. It's the kind of game that when you try if something works it usually does.

I have a feeling I need to read up on this game through the threads and plan out my party some before starting.

Anno

For sure. In some weird ways it reminded me of old EverQuest in that they gave you very powerful abilities, put very few restrictions on them and let you use them on whatever weird ways you thought up.

Nete

I'm wondering how difficult the game will be if you play tactician with that lone wolf trait where you don't get any companions.

It should be a pretty good challenge to play with 2 lone wolf. Or at least is what I hope, as it's actually what I had on mind.

On my first playthrough I did use a lone wolf mage. During the first few levels my coop friend (using a melee guy+the two handed warrior companion) carried me a bit on combats, but once those extra skill points started to kick in... oh boy.

Durante

I have a feeling I need to read up on this game through the threads and plan out my party some before starting.
I feel like reading up on it would - to some extent - defeat the point the post you quoted was going for. That is, that a lot of the greatness of the game comes from trying some solution you don't expect to work, because it wouldn't in other games, and actually having it work.

Any tips on how to build a party? What are the essential traits, abilities and spells, etc to have? I want the full experience in the first play through. Outside of Borderlands 2, I don't really do second runs.

Any tips on how to build a party? What are the essential traits, abilities and spells, etc to have? I want the full experience in the first play through. Outside of Borderlands 2, I don't really do second runs.

Apart from pet trait, just build however you want, enjoy playing your way.
But i do recommend pet trait since, talking to animals is always awesome.

epmode

Good question. Anyone know? The Tenebrium skill was kind of garbage in the original release. Or rather, the way it ignored your earlier skill investment was garbage. Seems like a prime candidate for rebalancing.

edit: Here's a dev comment: https://steamcommunity.com/app/230230/discussions/0/530649887198621872/

"No, that was changed. You need the Tenebrium ability to handle tenebrium weapons, but it doesn't have a per level boost or completely replace the base weapon damage type. At most you need level 3 Tenebrium to drag a tenebrium bar to a weapon to add a damage bonus, but you apparently just need level 1 to drag a weapon onto a tenebrium bar. "

Nibiru

Banned
Can't wait to dig into this. I don't think console gamers have ever had a game like this have they? I mean they have had similar games way back but this is another level.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Can't wait to dig into this. I don't think console gamers have ever had a game like this have they? I mean they have had similar games way back but this is another level.
None that come to mind. Crazy to think that this and Wasteland 2 both came to consoles in the same month. I don't see there being much crossover between Halo fans and CRPG fans, but I sincerely hope Halo 5 doesn't eat up any potential sales and that the console ports of Divinity do well enough that the sequel eventually comes over as well.

Aaron D.

Well there were those Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games on Xbox/PS2, but those were more ARPGs.

Then there was the isometric RPG Shadowrun on SNES of all places.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Well there were those Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games on Xbox/PS2, but those were more ARPGs.

Then there was the isometric RPG Shadowrun on SNES of all places.
How could I forget Shadowrun on the SNES? Easily one of my favorite games of all time.

Bane

You get them premade and the first couple relatively quickly. Alternatively you can both take the Lone Wolf trait which eliminates further companions but makes your two created characters more powerful.

Huh, I didn't know that. Sounds pretty interesting.

As the game is classless, you can modify their skills over time to suit your needs.

So every class can do everything? Didn't know that either.

squadr0n

Asking again for the new thread,

What is the recommended starting classes for a beginner? I understand the mechanics but not sure what 2 classes I should start with.

Anno

What is the recommended starting classes for a beginner? I understand the mechanics but not sure what 2 classes I should start with.

To me it was easiest to start with at least one warrior/cleric/knight type and one Mage that had a summon spell to soak hits and do some solid extra damage. Probably earth/water if you want maximum defense.

Dunbar

Never played the original so I think I might play on Easy/Story mode for my solo run and then bump it up to Normal or Tactician if I can find someone to play it with in co-op.

epmode

Doesn't really matter. You only have a few fights before getting to the first town. The other NPCs are there so you don't have to go shorthanded for long.

squadr0n

Doesn't really matter. You only have a few fights before getting to the first town. The other NPCs are there so you don't have to go shorthanded for long.

Maybe I should rephrase that. What is the best starting class combo when considering the first companion you can recruit. What is the first companions class? Should I start with 2 mages? Im looking for an overpowered team that can take me through most of the game.

danthefan

Maybe I should rephrase that. What is the best starting class combo when considering the first companion you can recruit. What is the first companions class? Should I start with 2 mages? Im looking for an overpowered team that can take me through most of the game.

Again it really doesn't matter. I'm fairly sure you can't make a mess of it, just go with what you feel like. For what it's worth on my first play through I made ab fire mage and a 2H warrior.

Top Bottom